'Super-Atom' Discovery Opens New Experimental Path for Quantum Computing

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Jun 7, 2014, 1:07:50 PM6/7/14
'Super-Atom' Discovery Opens New Experimental Path for
Quantum Computing

By Anthony Cuthbertson
International Business Times
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk
June 5, 2014

Researchers at Washington State University have created
new avenues of research into ultra-powerful quantum
computers.

A phenomenon predicted 60 years ago by Albert Einstein
that sees clouds of atoms acting as a single "super-atom"
has been realised, bringing with it profound implications
for the future of quantum computing.

Researchers at Washington State University (WSU)
temporarily created the coldest place in the universe -
just 100 billionths of a degree above absolute zero (-
273�C) - to create a physical state known as a Bose-
Einstein condensate.

In this state, a group of atoms act together in unison to
magnify the effects of quantum mechanics which can
potentially be exploited to create vastly more powerful
computing systems.

"This large group of atoms does not behave like a bunch
of balls in a bucket," said Peter Engels, associate
professor of physics at WSU. "It behaves as one big
super-atom. Therefore it magnifies the effects of quantum
mechanics."

Quantum computers could make use of this phenomenon to
increase the number and efficiency of quantum bits, or
qubits, which work to exponentially increase computer
processing speeds.

What is quantum computing?

Quantum computers, widely hailed as the next
technological revolution, combine quantum mechanics with
computer science to exponentially speed up processing.
Quantum bits, or qubits, act in a state of superposition
that allows them to operate in multiple states at once,
rather than just the two states in which traditional bits
function.

The most obvious application for quantum computers is
with complex optimisation problems that arrive through
the vast amounts of data that is currently being
produced, generating new and useful insights into
economic systems, the environment, medicine and space
travel.

The research, published in Nature Communications, built
upon previous work that coupled atoms and photons, though
in a much more complicated manner.

"We have found an implementation of the system that
allows us to go in the lab and actually test the
predictions... in a system that is not nearly as
complicated as people always thought it had to be,"
Engels said.

Related

What is Quantum Computing and What Could it Achieve?

Qubit Reliability Breakthrough Makes Commercial Quantum
Computing Possible

Tags Quantum computing , Qubit , Washington State
University , Futurology , Singularity , Albert einstein ,
Bose , DARPA

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/super-atom-discovery-opens-new-experimental-path-quantum-computing-1451381

More at:

International Business Times

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

o o o

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have been
authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion
of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely
not be read, considered or answered if it does not
contain your full legal name, current e-mail and postal
addresses, and live-voice telephone number.

o Posted for information and discussion. Views
expressed by others are not necessarily those of the
poster who may or may not have read the article.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted
material the use of which may or may not have been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
material is being made available in efforts to advance
the understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democratic, scientific, social, and
cultural, etc., issues. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to
the included information for research, comment,
discussion and educational purposes by subscribing to
USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article
for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one
or more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several
times.

benj

Jun 7, 2014, 1:37:29 PM6/7/14
On 06/07/2014 01:07 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> 'Super-Atom' Discovery Opens New Experimental Path for
> Quantum Computing
>
> By Anthony Cuthbertson
> International Business Times
> http://www.ibtimes.co.uk
> June 5, 2014
>
> Researchers at Washington State University have created
> new avenues of research into ultra-powerful quantum
> computers.

> What is quantum computing?
>
> Quantum computers, widely hailed as the next
> technological revolution, combine quantum mechanics with
> computer science to exponentially speed up processing.
> Quantum bits, or qubits, act in a state of superposition
> that allows them to operate in multiple states at once,
> rather than just the two states in which traditional bits
> function.
>
> The most obvious application for quantum computers is
> with complex optimisation problems that arrive through
> the vast amounts of data that is currently being
> produced, generating new and useful insights into
> economic systems, the environment, medicine and space
> travel.

Obviously this technological revolution is a HUGE breakthrough for
systems such as the million square feet of servers being built by NSA to
store the private conversations of everyone in the world. So how does
one sort through that massive amount of garbage to sort out terrorists,
gun owners, and anti-sovie...er unAmerican anti-government protesters?

Simple! Quantum Computing! Finally Big Brother can watch EVERYONE and
keep them safe! It's a great day for America and the World!

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Jun 7, 2014, 1:49:43 PM6/7/14
In article <u5Ikv.1511075$Oa6.9...@fx14.iad>,
benj <no...@gmail.com> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>
> > 'Super-Atom' Discovery Opens New Experimental Path for
> > Quantum Computing
> >
> > By Anthony Cuthbertson
> > International Business Times
> > http://www.ibtimes.co.uk
> > June 5, 2014
> >
> > Researchers at Washington State University have created
> > new avenues of research into ultra-powerful quantum
> > computers.
> >
> > What is quantum computing?
> >
> > Quantum computers, widely hailed as the next
> > technological revolution, combine quantum mechanics with
> > computer science to exponentially speed up processing.
> > Quantum bits, or qubits, act in a state of superposition
> > that allows them to operate in multiple states at once,
> > rather than just the two states in which traditional bits
> > function.
> >
> > The most obvious application for quantum computers is
> > with complex optimisation problems that arrive through
> > the vast amounts of data that is currently being
> > produced, generating new and useful insights into
> > economic systems, the environment, medicine and space
> > travel.
> > [...]

> Obviously this technological revolution is a HUGE breakthrough for
> systems such as the million square feet of servers being built by NSA to
> store the private conversations of everyone in the world. So how does
> one sort through that massive amount of garbage to sort out terrorists,
> gun owners, and anti-sovie...er unAmerican anti-government protesters?
>
> Simple! Quantum Computing! Finally Big Brother can watch EVERYONE and
> keep them safe! It's a great day for America and the World!

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot
stamping on a human face - forever."

- "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by George Orwell.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://tinyurl.com/JaiMaharaj