help on capacitor labels

Bruce S. Danziger

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
to danzige...@jpmorgan.com
can someone please tell me what capacitance values the following symbols
represent. I have some CERAMIC capacitors with the following labels

.1Z
103Z
471

thanks in advance
Bruce Danziger

Paul Richards

Sep 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/30/95
> can someone please tell me what capacitance values the following symbols
> represent. I have some CERAMIC capacitors with the following labels
>
> .1Z
> 103Z
> 471

Z suffix indicates "-20% to +80%" tolerance. (K= +/-10%, M=+/-20%)

103 is 10*10^3 pF = 10nF = 0.01uF
471 is 47*10^1 pF = 470pF
I guess ".1" is 0.1uF, though it is normally written "105" (10*10^5 pF),
though everyone I know refers to them as "point ones". You will probably
find one or more per digital IC on a PCB, as decoupling to prevent spikes
on Vcc from interfering with logic functions.

Paul

John Fields

Oct 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/1/95
Paul Richards (p...@cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:
: > can someone please tell me what capacitance values the following symbols

: Paul

The first digit is the most significant digit of the capacitance, the second
digit is the least significant digit of the capacitance, and the third
digit is the number of zeroes which follows.

Thus, a 0.1 microFarad cap would bear the legend "104", while a 1.0
microFarad cap would bear the legend "105".
Starship

Adrian Jansen

Oct 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/2/95

Caps are one of those things you have to get used to. There seems
to be no standard marking.

The .1Z is likely 0.1 uF The Z is probably a temp coefficient
indicator.

103Z is likely 10 000 pF ( read 10 followed by 3 zeroes )

471 is 470 pF ( 47 followed by 1 zero )

Some manufacturers make it harder by using 470 to mean just that,
470 pf, where you might think it should be 47 pf !

You learn to cope with such variations after a while.

In article
<44h67q$5...@hardcopy.ny.jpmorgan.com>, "Bruce S. Danziger" (bsd)
writes: >can someone please tell me what capacitance values the

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen aja...@adelaide.DIALix.oz.au
Design Engineer J & K Micro Systems
PH (08) 271 4126
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control