Miller aerowave not working, amps set to HIGH value and cannot change

Ignoramus19737

Feb 9, 2017, 2:53:42 AM2/9/17
My coworker has a Miller Aerowave TIG welder. It did work
previously. Now it does not work. The amps display shows a very HIGH
number that cannot be adjusted with amperage knob. It does weld at
that extremely high setting and melts welding rods.

I have some pictures of the welder and board LEDs at:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Miller-Aerowave-Welder-Problem/

Would anyone suggest a solution? Also does anyone know a good welder
repair shop on the Chicago area? Thanks

nub12

Feb 9, 2017, 6:56:01 AM2/9/17
Just a stab in the dark.

Is the current set by a potentiometer?

If one end has gone open it could be pulled high or low causing the
welder to think you want full current.

If you're confident of not electrocuting yourself, try to measure the
voltage on the wiper of the potentiometer as you wind it up and down and
see if it sweeps up and down.

I'm not familiar with high end welders and can't believe how much
electronics there are inside that one!

Leon Fisk

Feb 9, 2017, 7:52:22 AM2/9/17
Might be something related to the foot-switch? Not sure how they work
together with the knob settings...

Have you downloaded the owners manual:

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/owners-manuals/O319H_MIL.pdf

Looks like a nightmare inside without the full tech manual to guide you
around. Much more complicated than the Millermatic I'm trying to
repair...

I see you found the Miller Forum. Nobody has jumped forward to help you
so far but it hasn't been up long. You might get a tech manual from
that site if you ask nicely :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

frankcoproductsllc

Nov 15, 2021, 11:37:06 PM11/15/21
responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/miller-aerowave-not-working-amps-set-to-high-value-and-cann-168489-.htm
, frankcoproductsllc wrote:
If you are still interested or anyone who see's this post is having issues
with their aerowave. My company frankcoproductsllc.com repairs these back to
factory specification.