Sony SLV-R5UC problems

Glenn Stauffer

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00
I have a Sony SLV-R5UC that has largely gone unused the past three or four
years and is now displaying numerous problems:

- the VCR has problems tracking pre-recorded VHS tapes. On auto tracking,
the picture will come out nearly right, but the audio will be missing or
muted/distorted. I can manually adjust the tracking to get the audio, but
the video is then off (fuzzy) most of the time.

- I noticed some color distortion on a recent tape - there was a reddish
cast to the entire tape especially noticeable in images of strong contrast.

- tapes recorded on this unit do not playback correctly either. Using an
S-VHS tape, I get a good image, but the sound only comes out on the right
channel with auto-tracking on. I can manually adjust the tracking to get
stereo without as much loss in image quality as with a regular VHS tape,
however.

This was a fairly expensive VCR and I am hoping to find out whether these
problems are easily repairable or indicate an expensive repair. Anyone
know what it typically costs to have a unit like this refurbished?

Thanks, Glenn

Andy Cuffe

Nov 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/24/00

I would start by cleaning, alignment and replacement of any bad caps in
the SMPS. If it uses SMD electrolytics anywhere in the vCR, they are
likely to be bad also, depending on how it was stored.
--
Andy Cuffe
balt...@psu.edu

Jeff P

Nov 24, 2000, 12:56:32 PM11/24/00
I would start by cleaning the audio head, check the condition off the pinch
roller to
jeff p

"Glenn Stauffer" <GlennS...@altavista.com> wrote in message

Mark D. Zacharias

Nov 24, 2000, 3:29:38 PM11/24/00
Oh, boy.
The SLV-R5UC is a nice machine but has a history of problems. I can't tell
you why only one channel comes out with the auto-tracking "ON", but I can
give a clue on some of the other problems.
1. The color problem is well-known. There is an adjustment which can be done
to fix this, but it is physically difficult to get to the test point, which
is on one pin of an IC located on a circuit board behind the deck ass'y, one
of a couple boards behind there. The adjustment pot is there also. It's been
a while since I've done one, but as I recall, the adjustment is "nulled out"
for least chroma noise.
2. Clearly the tape is skewing at the capstan/pinchroller area. Often
replacing the pinchroller alone is not sufficient, the capstan motor may
need to be replaced also. This is NOT directly related to the (in)famous
capstan bearing issue, but if the motor has enough wear to cause tape skew,
it should be replaced anyway.
3. In normal use, with the top cover in place, the power supply can generate
enough heat after 1-2 hours playing time to make the capstan motor seize
momentarily. This can mimic a bad cap bearing even if the bearing is OK. I
learned this the hard way on my own 5UC. I replaced first the bearing, then
the entire cap motor, before finding the reel belt tension, and bad lube at
the reel clutch ass'y, combined with the excess heat, were combining to
cause the problem. There is a capacitor kit for the power supply, and
another cap not in the kit needs to be replaced as well.

The is no comparable machine on the consumer market today.

Mark Z.

Mwwcam

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00
True. I have one and love it. Also, the radial caps in the audio board will
need replacing. I change all of them and they will last a long time.
Mike W
Video Services

Jerry G.

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00
I would start by doing a proper cleaning of the complete tape path
and heads. Take care that it is done right. These parts are also
delicate, and if disturbed wrongly they can be damaged or pushed out
of alignment.

--

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Kurtis Bahr

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
to Glenn Stauffer
I refurbish these quite often like others and the first thing I always do is
replace all the electroyltics in the Switching Power Supply. You need to
replace them with High Temp, Low ESR, Switching Power Supply Capacitors. You'd
be impressed the number of problems this usually cleans up.

Kurtis

Shams

Nov 7, 2021, 2:27:20 PM11/7/21
Incredible! I was looking at a machine today going for 100 dollars. Should I not buy it then? sorry i am 20 years too late to this thread. I also was wondering if these machines can play PAL tapes? Thanks!

Adrian Caspersz

Nov 8, 2021, 1:25:04 AM11/8/21
On 07/11/2021 19:27, Shams wrote:
> Incredible! I was looking at a machine today going for 100 dollars. Should I not buy it then? sorry i am 20 years too late to this thread. I also was wondering if these machines can play PAL tapes? Thanks!

I'll bite. (You've added no context to the original post, amd I'm not
looking)

28 years old, probably filled with caps that will need replacing.

Does it have a timebase corrector? So professional, or Sony hype?

FULLY RESTORED Sony SLV-R5UC Stereo HiFi S-VHS VCR Auto-Tracking *90
Days Wrty
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193877871382

--
Adrian C

John Robertson

Nov 8, 2021, 12:19:03 PM11/8/21
Looks like the OP (Shams) for this revived thread was looking for
recommendations for PAL player, not NTSC...new electrolytic caps and
drive belts are never a bad idea with 90s or earlier equipment.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Rayner Lucas

Nov 8, 2021, 1:17:16 PM11/8/21
In article <0c99f405-c82e-4c17...@googlegroups.com>,
shams.i...@gmail.com says...

> Incredible! I was looking at a machine today going for 100 dollars.
> Should I not buy it then? sorry i am 20 years too late to this thread.

Well, the group is still active, although the original thread
participants have likely moved on.

As all these units will be over 25 years old by now, it's likely they'll
either need maintenance or will already have been fixed up at some point
- check with the seller to see if they know if any work has already been
done on it. There's a discussion over on the Tapeheads forum that
describes most of the common faults:
http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=63552

You should probably at least count on having to replace the power supply
capacitors if this hasn't been done already. Any mains-powered
electronics from the 80s and 90s should ideally be checked for dried-up
smoothing capacitors in the PSU, as well as the infamous exploding RIFA
line-filter caps, and I think that goes double for a machine with known
power-supply reliability issues.

> I also was wondering if these machines can play PAL tapes? Thanks!

No mention of it in the manual, so I'd assume not.

three_jeeps

Nov 8, 2021, 7:10:46 PM11/8/21
On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 2:27:20 PM UTC-5, Shams wrote:
> Incredible! I was looking at a machine today going for 100 dollars. Should I not buy it then? sorry i am 20 years too late to this thread. I also was wondering if these machines can play PAL tapes? Thanks!
Why don't you exercise your google-foo and spend some meaningful time with your browser and FIND OUT ON YOUR OWN!!!