thermal switch

legg

Feb 7, 2024, 1:44:09 PMFeb 7
A thermal switch rated 110C/0C - does this mean freezing is
required to rest it?

Others rated 150C/60C will self-reset at room temp.

RL

legg

Feb 7, 2024, 1:51:25 PMFeb 7
I've tried to rest two by taking them to ~ -18C.

One I originally tripped on the bench using a heat gun.
The other was tripped open in a microwave oven.

Are these supposed to reset?

RL

ohg...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2024, 4:35:51 PMFeb 7
They reset on their own assuming it's a thermostat and not a fuse.

legg

Feb 7, 2024, 5:54:43 PMFeb 7
On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 13:35:48 -0800 (PST), "ohg...@gmail.com"
<ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 1:44:09?PM UTC-5, legg wrote:
>> A thermal switch rated 110C/0C - does this mean freezing is
>> required to rest it?
>>
>> Others rated 150C/60C will self-reset at room temp.
>>
>> RL
>
>They reset on their own assuming it's a thermostat and not a fuse.

Microwave cabinet sensors swithing 12A 120VAC.

Same symbol and part family as two other types
used w/35C reset, measuring box wall tmps.
They test as resetable.

KSD100LC0
PW4261N100

GE doesn't issue part numbers in service manual.

RL

legg

Feb 8, 2024, 11:01:53 AMFeb 8
On Wed, 07 Feb 2024 13:44:59 -0500, legg <le...@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

I opened up one of them and the construction was of a resettable
part. I guess a zero degree reset is less reliable (or practical).

RL

Allodoxaphobia

Feb 9, 2024, 8:50:27 AMFeb 9
On Thu, 08 Feb 2024 11:02:43 -0500, legg wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2024 13:44:59 -0500, legg <le...@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>
>>A thermal switch rated 110C/0C - does this mean freezing is
>>required to rest it?
>>
>>Others rated 150C/60C will self-reset at room temp.
>
> I opened up one of them and the construction was of a resettable
> part. I guess a zero degree reset is less reliable (or practical).

Maybe the "0C" (in 110C/0C) was a clumsy way to infer it's not resettable.
Afterall, who has ever heard of thermal switches operating around 0C ?
Bi-metal switches - yes.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

legg

Feb 9, 2024, 3:40:54 PMFeb 9
On 9 Feb 2024 13:50:22 GMT, Allodoxaphobia <trepi...@example.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Feb 2024 11:02:43 -0500, legg wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Feb 2024 13:44:59 -0500, legg <le...@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>A thermal switch rated 110C/0C - does this mean freezing is
>>>required to rest it?
>>>
>>>Others rated 150C/60C will self-reset at room temp.
>>
>> I opened up one of them and the construction was of a resettable
>> part. I guess a zero degree reset is less reliable (or practical).
>
>Maybe the "0C" (in 110C/0C) was a clumsy way to infer it's not resettable.
>Afterall, who has ever heard of thermal switches operating around 0C ?
>Bi-metal switches - yes.
>
>Jonesy

The active element is a bimetalic disc.

The detection temperature is curious - locations on internal walls -
fire detection? In series with AC line power, one before and one
after the operating interlock.

Resetting at zero would allow repair rather than replacement, but
a service cycle anyways. Can you imagine advice to end user or service
techs - 'Stick in deep freeze for 30 minutes.'

Hardly pracyical in built-in units like the JVM1750. I suppose there's
always freeze-spray . . . .

HEY - THAT WORKED !

What an idiot I am.

RL