Pioneer SC-63 receiver memory problem

Bob F

Oct 10, 2021, 1:26:05 PM10/10/21

In the past, I have had problems with certain system settings changing
if the power to the receiver got disconnected. For months, I have had
the zone 2 output enabled, and have been disconnecting the power at
night because normally turning the receiver off with the remote leaves
the zone 2 amplifier on, wasting power.

When I turned on the power in the morning, zone 2 would come on, then
the remote would turn everything on. I tried an experiment with the
A.P.D. settings setting the zone 2 to 30 minutes rather than off,
thinking that maybe that would turn the zone2 off after 30 minutes with
no audio, but found instead that it would turn off zone 2 after the unit
had been ON for 30 minutes.

I reset the A.P.D. zone 2 setting to off. Ever since that experiment,
whenever I cycle the power to the unit, it turns on with the A.P.D.
setting for zone 2 at 30 minutes, causing it to turn off the sound in
the kitchen after 30 minutes. Resetting the A.P.D. for zone 2 to off
does not help. it is still 30 after the next power cycle.

My suspicion is that the setting storage memory is failing. Some
receivers, I have read, have had similar problems because of a failing
supercap supplying power to a memory chip when power is disconnected.
Has anyone had any experience with this problem that could assist me in
finding a solution.

I have not opened it up yet as this is my everyday sound system, and
want to inform my self as well as I can whether I am heading the right
direction, and how to locate the failing part if I am right.

legg

Oct 10, 2021, 3:16:43 PM10/10/21
Can it remember settings for shorter time intervals of being off?

RL

abrsvc

Oct 11, 2021, 8:13:14 AM10/11/21
I would check the service manual at the link below. There may be a capacitor used to retain the settings rather than a battery and this could be failing.

Dan

Link: https://elektrotanya.com/pioneer_sc-63_sc-61_sc-1227-k_sc-1222-k_rrv4324_av_receiver.pdf/download.html

Bob F

Oct 12, 2021, 7:09:30 PM10/12/21
I was changing a setting, then powering down and back on, and the change
was gone, so it seemed the answer was no. Testing it again today with
short term power off, and it is remembering perfectly. I did not turn
off the power to it last night. I have no idea if that related to the
problem. I set the speaker size to "small" yesterday, so it will send
audio to my subwoofer, and that setting is still there today too. It is
the first time I can remember it did not go back to "large" when I had
the desire to power up the sub.

It has me wondering if it only saves the memory after some significant
time on after a change.

I will try powering it down again tonight and see if that causes changes
again.

Bob F

Oct 12, 2021, 7:51:20 PM10/12/21
That will take some time to explore. Thanks.