Split HEX files..

JA

Oct 12, 2009, 1:58:30 PM10/12/09
Hi guys!
Please i need support!
I have an hex file and i need to split it in low bytes and high bytes.
My eprom programmer just don't handle this function.I have to burn one low
bytes eprom and one high bytes eprom.
Can anyone help me splitting the file in high-low (i can send by email the
hex) or helping me finding a tool to do this?
Best Regards

AC

Jamie

Oct 12, 2009, 2:18:26 PM10/12/09
JA wrote:

You mean its 16 bit data you're trying to partition ?

JA

Oct 12, 2009, 2:38:58 PM10/12/09

"Jamie"

> You mean its 16 bit data you're trying to partition ?

Yes you got it!! exaclty this!

Jamie

Oct 12, 2009, 3:05:57 PM10/12/09
JA wrote:

Ok, well, I don't know of any util that I have that
currently exist that can do that how ever, I am a programmer
and that seems to be a very simple task me

I assume these files have the address at the left column
and like 8 or 16 bytes of data per line ?

If this is the case, splitting the file would also mean
updating the addresses at the left..

Now, if all you have is just a pure HEX file, that is an
easy one to do..

Do you have a file that I can look at ?

JA

Oct 12, 2009, 2:51:08 PM10/12/09

"Jamie" <jamie_ka1lpa_not_v...@charter.net> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:0UKAm.252378$cf6.1...@newsfe16.iad...

>> Yes you got it!! exaclty this!
>>

> Now, if all you have is just a pure HEX file, that is an
> easy one to do..
>
> Do you have a file that I can look at ?

I have sended in your email the file!Thank you for the help!Let me know if
you receive it!

Jamie

Oct 12, 2009, 3:12:18 PM10/12/09
JA wrote:

Ok, I'll take a look at it.

Dave M

Oct 12, 2009, 3:32:42 PM10/12/09

There's a freebie utility called SPLIT2.exe at
http://www.kmitl.ac.th/~kswichit/68k/SPLIT2.EXE. I think it will do what
you need. (It's DOS progran, but runs fine in Winders.)

--
David
masondg44 at comcast dot net

Jamie

Oct 12, 2009, 3:55:21 PM10/12/09
I was going to suggest something like that, I did get the files he wants
me to convert. After taking a look at the Intel HEX format. I can do it
how ever, I suggested that maybe he'd try an existing tool first before
I whip up this GUI based app. :)

I've never had to split up HEX files before, other wise, i would have
already had a tool created :)

Dave M

Oct 12, 2009, 3:51:50 PM10/12/09

Yeah, I know what you mean... I'm a retired programmer, but have always had
the right tools to do my development work. I've never had to do any biinary
file splitting, so never had to have a utility to do it.

William Sommerwerck

Oct 12, 2009, 4:02:13 PM10/12/09
Doesn't the programmer's manufacturer provide a utility to do this? You'd
think it would.

JA

Oct 12, 2009, 7:20:11 PM10/12/09

"William Sommerwerck" <grizzle...@comcast.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Doesn't the programmer's manufacturer provide a utility to do this? You'd
> think it would.

Some manufacturer will include this function! Dataman will do this, my
programming tool , doesn't let me do this!

Jamie

Oct 12, 2009, 8:02:42 PM10/12/09
JA wrote:

Have you successfully converted the files or do you still need help?

Rich Webb

Oct 12, 2009, 8:48:50 PM10/12/09

It's not that hard to write, especially for a one-off use when you may
choose to dispense with the error checking that would otherwise expand
it in size by several times.

Regardless, you're not the first to need something like this. A nice set
of tools is available at http://srecord.sourceforge.net/ and there are
surely others out there with a bit of 'net searching.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Franc Zabkar

Oct 13, 2009, 3:51:27 AM10/13/09
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:58:30 GMT, "JA" <formula1vhs@ TOGLIMI
hotmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I have an hex file and i need to split it in low bytes and high bytes.
>My eprom programmer just don't handle this function.I have to burn one low
>bytes eprom and one high bytes eprom.
>Can anyone help me splitting the file in high-low (i can send by email the
>hex) or helping me finding a tool to do this?

My Sunshine Expro-60 has a bunch of utilities that can do this.

http://www.danbbs.dk/~rmadrm/utility.htm

- Franc Zabkar

bz

Oct 14, 2009, 10:57:05 AM10/14/09
"JA" <formula1vhs@ TOGLIMI hotmail.com> wrote in

you can do it with excel
there are bin hex and octal conversion functions such as bin2hex and hex2bin
there are parsing functions such as substr and mid
there is a concantination operator "&" that will allow you to paste the bytes
back together after swapping them.

Should be an easy program to write just using excel functions, but, if
necessary, you can dip into visual basic which is the macro language used by
excel.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

jaugu...@verizon.net

Oct 14, 2009, 1:24:00 PM10/14/09
Hi "JA"

I am an assembly programmer for many years. Do you mean the
first byte of each byte pair (word) as "low byte"? In other words, the
splitter will create two separate files. The "low bytes" file will contain
all the odd number (first, third, fifth, etc.) bytes of the hex file. The
"high bytes" file will contain the even number bytes.

Note: Offset addresses, if it exist in the hex file, will be ignored
by the splitter because of the "broken" sequence in those created
files. However, if offset addresses is important, that can be arranged.

I can create the splitter program for no charge, but a small donation
will be appreciated.

Regards, John

PS, Remove "ine" from email address

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:58:30 GMT, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

>Hi guys!
>Please i need support!

>I have an hex file and i need to split it in low bytes and high bytes.
>My eprom programmer just don't handle this function.I have to burn one low
>bytes eprom and one high bytes eprom.
>Can anyone help me splitting the file in high-low (i can send by email the
>hex) or helping me finding a tool to do this?

>Best Regards
>
>AC

lw...@magicprintmalaysia.com

Jun 12, 2020, 7:56:28 AM6/12/20
Hi John,

I'm faced with a very similar problem to split a ladder program file into odd and even addresses.

Seems perhaps your tool might work for me as well?

Let me know and I can email you the file to take a look. As suggested, a small donation can be made...

Thanks.

Lian

Yaseen Ansari

Aug 26, 2021, 8:24:28 PM8/26/21
am looking for similar tool. Did you find a solution?

YA

Donald Duck

Aug 26, 2021, 10:15:26 PM8/26/21
Idiot google grouper.

The article to which you replied was written twelve (12) years ago.

John Robertson

Aug 27, 2021, 1:07:03 AM8/27/21
Yaseen, there are DOS based programs for binary/Hex file splitting with
respect to EPROM programming. Can't recall the name but a bit of
searching should lead to the answer. This was talked to death back in
the late 90s and early 00s, so you should be able to track it down.

12 years is not a record for oldest Usenet post responded to!

John ;-#)#

Yaseen Ansari

Oct 11, 2021, 5:22:16 PM10/11/21
Thanks John, Yes you are right, I can find DOS based programs.
Unfortunately I am limited to the option of using WINDOWS only.
I did find a programming by python tool (https://phyton.com/support/updates) window based but the splitted output file is not correct.

John Robertson

Oct 12, 2021, 3:04:39 AM10/12/21
You can run DOS BOX in a Windows machine...

https://www.dosbox.com/

I use it on XP for running my old Data I/O DOS only program.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com