Does anyone make an "alarm" that tells when something is powered on/off?

Scuch

Jun 7, 2006, 10:14:37 PM6/7/06
Does anyone make an "alarm" that tells when something is powered on/off?

I'm picturing something you plug an appliance into, that will sense the
load. When the appliance is turned on or off, it sends a UHF-wireless
chirp to a little beeper you can take around the house.

Something that will tell me when the laundry is done :)

Background: i have a gas dryer, which only requires a normal 120V
outlet.

Reg

Jun 7, 2006, 10:25:15 PM6/7/06
Scuch wrote:

This is how I do it. It announces over whole house audio.

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=41

More complicated than what you're asking for but
hopefully it's helpful.

--
Reg

John Fields

Jun 8, 2006, 8:00:38 AM6/8/06

---
If you're responsible for that article, not only are you a fucking
idiot, you're also dangerous.

NEC specifies that for a current carrying capacity of 20 amperes, at
least a #12 AWG copper conductor must be used.

Better change that article before you burn some poor fool's house
down.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

ferdo

Jun 9, 2006, 6:55:47 AM6/9/06

If you use unit ( voltmeter ) you cann controll any device wireless a
data logging.
See www.digital-measurement.com

Fero

te...@terryking.us

Jun 9, 2006, 9:34:46 AM6/9/06
This depends on how much digging/hacking you are comfortable with...

I have added optically-isolated sensors in my Dishwasher and Dryer that
signal my home automation system when they are on. A little logic
alerts me to "Open the dishwasher to dry, please", etc.

But that may be much more than you want/need, and it reasonable only as
a part of a larger system.

I understand (Sorry can't point to one immediately) that there are
available "Plug-Thru" sensors that signal when a device is on.
(Someone??)

You could hack an X-10 remote to turn on a circuit with a light/buzzer
etc. plugged in.

I don't know of an off-the-shelf transmitter to a 'wearable' alert
receiver... but I bet some else does...

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)

John

Jun 9, 2006, 12:51:57 PM6/9/06
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:25:15 GMT, Reg <r...@nospam.com> wrote:

A better solution would be an AC relay with a coil voltage that
matched the motor in the dryer. Marlin P Jone & Associates
www.mpja.com has one 24 to 140volts
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=7936+RL
and another for 180 to 280 volts
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=14418+RL

At $3.95US each, it's a cheap interface.

Use the output contacts to control the X10 PowerFlash or whatever.

John

DaveM

Jun 9, 2006, 5:04:53 PM6/9/06
<te...@terryking.us> wrote in message

>> Does anyone make an "alarm" that tells when something is powered on/off?
>>
>> I'm picturing something you plug an appliance into, that will sense the
>> load. When the appliance is turned on or off, it sends a UHF-wireless
>> chirp to a little beeper you can take around the house.
>>
>> Something that will tell me when the laundry is done :)
>>
>> Background: i have a gas dryer, which only requires a normal 120V
>> outlet.
> Scuch wrote:
> This depends on how much digging/hacking you are comfortable with...
>
> I have added optically-isolated sensors in my Dishwasher and Dryer that
> signal my home automation system when they are on. A little logic
> alerts me to "Open the dishwasher to dry, please", etc.
>
> But that may be much more than you want/need, and it reasonable only as
> a part of a larger system.
>
> I understand (Sorry can't point to one immediately) that there are
> available "Plug-Thru" sensors that signal when a device is on.
> (Someone??)
>
> You could hack an X-10 remote to turn on a circuit with a light/buzzer
> etc. plugged in.
>
> I don't know of an off-the-shelf transmitter to a 'wearable' alert
> receiver... but I bet some else does...
>
> Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
> (Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)

Yeppp!!! Known as a Current Operated Switch. Neilsen-Kuljian makes a line of
switches with sensitivities from 1 amp to several hundred amps. Some have both
NO and NC switches in the same unit, with adjustable trip points for each set of
contacts. They're made for On/Off/Overload conditions on motor circuits.
Neilsen-Kuljian doesn't appear to have a web presence, but I found a vendor at
http://clrwtr.fiberpipe.net/NK-Current-Switches.htm.

Cheers!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

default

Jun 9, 2006, 6:55:02 PM6/9/06
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:14:37 GMT, "Scuch" <sc...@caserta.invalid>
wrote:

I did. Hooked a current transformer to my water heater. Beeps when
the heater turns on and again when it shuts off. Current transformer
powers the circuit - no separate supply. Also flashes an LED while
the heater is sucking power.