Re: Rubber beading on high voltage cable insulation

TTman

Jul 20, 2022, 6:02:05 AM7/20/22
On 20/07/2022 07:53, Mike Mocha wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just curious what you think about this. The photos at the link are
> showing large gauge wire used on a vintage 600 VDC rail vehicle. We're
> talking 1930's electric streetcar technology. Basically 600 VDC connected
> to a knife switch, then to a rotating manual controller which you
> partially see in the photo. The rotation of it sets up the series and
> parallel stages to the traction motors.
>
> We see this weird rubber beading occurring on the outside of the older
> wire insulation. I'm not sure what that insulation is made of or how old
> it is. This only seems to occur on the older wires. The newer NFPA
> compliant wires don't have this symptom.
>
> What is it and what causes it? Any theories? Thanks.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/OqHQV8U

Bits of melted tar maybe...

Dan Purgert

Jul 20, 2022, 7:10:36 AM7/20/22

--
|_|O|_|

chr...@privacy.net

Jul 20, 2022, 10:40:40 AM7/20/22
On 20/07/2022 07:53, Mike Mocha wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just curious what you think about this. The photos at the link are
> showing large gauge wire used on a vintage 600 VDC rail vehicle. We're
> talking 1930's electric streetcar technology. Basically 600 VDC connected
> to a knife switch, then to a rotating manual controller which you
> partially see in the photo. The rotation of it sets up the series and
> parallel stages to the traction motors.
>
> We see this weird rubber beading occurring on the outside of the older
> wire insulation. I'm not sure what that insulation is made of or how old
> it is. This only seems to occur on the older wires. The newer NFPA
> compliant wires don't have this symptom.
>
> What is it and what causes it? Any theories? Thanks.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/OqHQV8U

Looks like heat damage to me!
Possibly caused by resistance heating in a tarnished/corroded
connection? I would disassemble, clean, grease and remake the
connections.
Replace any damaged cable along the way: If I am right, there will be
some. If I am wrong, there may not be :-)

HTH, Chris