Funny - How to make a PCB

93 views
Skip to first unread message

Carl Smith

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 1:05:40 PM1/21/06
to

So I was reading the comp.arch.fpga FAQ and I found this page
about how to make a PCB. There are a few amusing steps in the
process. :-)

http://www.fpga-faq.org/FAQ_Pages/0043
_Steps_to_make_a_Printed_Circuit_Board.htm

petrus bitbyter

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 1:42:22 PM1/21/06
to

"Carl Smith" <cdsmith...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:MPG.1e3c33ecd...@news.west.earthlink.net...

Explains a large part of the price tags on electronic equipment :)

petrus bitbyter


DJ Delorie

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 3:15:55 PM1/21/06
to

Carl Smith <cdsmith...@gmail.com> writes:
> So I was reading the comp.arch.fpga FAQ and I found this page
> about how to make a PCB. There are a few amusing steps in the
> process. :-)

I've been through #25 but with an octal latch. Because of that, I've
added a step: print the board on paper and place all your parts on it
to make sure they fit.

And the cost of #5 got me involved in the gEDA/PCB project :-)

Pooh Bear

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 4:54:06 PM1/21/06
to

Carl Smith wrote:

Worth sending that link to those clowns who post " I am going to
design a ( insert fabulous new device ) . How do I start ? ".

Graham


JeffM

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 8:38:52 PM1/21/06
to
> Carl Smith

I remember it well. The original was (cross)posted here.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/browse_frm/thread/85d427921d4ae936/4f65710c80ef5961

budgie

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 10:08:01 PM1/21/06
to
On 21 Jan 2006 15:15:55 -0500, DJ Delorie <d...@delorie.com> wrote:

>
>Carl Smith <cdsmith...@gmail.com> writes:
>> So I was reading the comp.arch.fpga FAQ and I found this page
>> about how to make a PCB. There are a few amusing steps in the
>> process. :-)

Damn! All I get is a 404 at the URL given.

>I've been through #25 but with an octal latch. Because of that, I've
>added a step: print the board on paper and place all your parts on it
>to make sure they fit.

Laugh or cry, you're not alone. I got caught out with the width of a boxed
header and wound up having to file off one end to make it fit on the proto. As
a result, except on trivially uncrowded boards I print off an overlay, paste it
to cardboard, poke holes for leads and place components.

And on the last proto I did ( a week ago) the plastic pack on one particular IC
was just a tad toooo long. Mr Dremel fixed that.

Carl Smith

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 11:13:50 PM1/21/06
to
In article <xnfynhf...@delorie.com>, d...@delorie.com says...

>
> I've been through #25 but with an octal latch. Because of that, I've
> added a step: print the board on paper and place all your parts on it
> to make sure they fit.

Somewhere I still have a small board where I did exactly that.
It has a printout of the layout glued to some stiffer card
stock, with all the through hole parts punched through the card.

>
> And the cost of #5 got me involved in the gEDA/PCB project :-)
>

Is that still a linux only thing?


I think my favorite is:

28) Scrape the burning parts off your face

It reminds me of once when I got hit in the forehead with a
ballistic piece of a 74HC logic chip.

Carl Smith

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 11:24:39 PM1/21/06
to
In article <7gt5t1l3jvbtli7qk...@4ax.com>,
m...@privacy.net says...

> On 21 Jan 2006 15:15:55 -0500, DJ Delorie <d...@delorie.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >Carl Smith <cdsmith...@gmail.com> writes:
> >> So I was reading the comp.arch.fpga FAQ and I found this page
> >> about how to make a PCB. There are a few amusing steps in the
> >> process. :-)
>
> Damn! All I get is a 404 at the URL given.

My newsreader program decided to be helpful and word wrap the
URL, breaking it in the middle. Put the two halves together
with cut and paste in your web browser and it should work.

Bob Monsen

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 11:44:02 PM1/21/06
to
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:08:01 +0800, budgie wrote:
> Damn! All I get is a 404 at the URL given.

Try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/9lw85

--
Regards,
Bob Monsen

"Man with all his noble qualities, with sympathy which feels for the
most debased, with benevolence which extends not only to other men but
to the humblest living creature, with his god-like intellect which has
penetrated into the movements and constitution of the solar system-
with all these exalted powers- Man still bears in his bodily frame the
indelible stamp of his lowly origin."
-- Charles Darwin

budgie

unread,
Jan 21, 2006, 11:55:19 PM1/21/06
to

Yep, did that about three seconds after my previous post. Pays to look closely
at posted URL's before clicking { :-0>

linnix

unread,
Jan 22, 2006, 12:55:40 PM1/22/06
to

Bob Monsen wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:08:01 +0800, budgie wrote:
> > Damn! All I get is a 404 at the URL given.
>
> Try this one:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9lw85
>

My recent experience:

25) Discover that you can't get the MOSFET in a DPAK loop back to
4
25a) Discover that MOSFET in PLL6 is so difficult to solder,
without
melting all the other plastic components around it.
b) Looking for SOT23 and DPAK and loop back to 4

DJ Delorie

unread,
Jan 22, 2006, 5:48:01 PM1/22/06
to

Carl Smith <cdsmith...@gmail.com> writes:
> > And the cost of #5 got me involved in the gEDA/PCB project :-)
>
> Is that still a linux only thing?

IIRC the tools run under Windows with various levels of effort.

At the moment, I'm in the middle of re-engineering the PCB layout
software to support multiple GUIs in the source set, so that
(hopefully) we can later add a native Win32 GUI to it.

My working sources are here if anyone is interested:

http://www.delorie.com/pcb/

I post an occasional status to the gEDA developer's list.

Ian Bell

unread,
Jan 23, 2006, 5:40:00 AM1/23/06
to
DJ Delorie wrote:

>
> Carl Smith <cdsmith...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > And the cost of #5 got me involved in the gEDA/PCB project :-)
>>
>> Is that still a linux only thing?
>
> IIRC the tools run under Windows with various levels of effort.
>
> At the moment, I'm in the middle of re-engineering the PCB layout
> software to support multiple GUIs in the source set, so that
> (hopefully) we can later add a native Win32 GUI to it.
>

Alternatively you could try Kicad - open source and already running on both
Linux and Windows. Look here:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

Ian

g...@umn.edu

unread,
Jan 23, 2006, 12:45:27 PM1/23/06
to
Ah yes, all true. before CAD programs were available, you could add a
few more:

(1) Find out you laid out all the IC's backwards-- end up bending the
IC leads so the part numbers are all face down. Try to explain this to
the production folks as a "trade secret" protection step.

(2) One of your many hairs that fell out stuck to the negative--
hand-patch a dozen hairline broken traces on the PC boards.

(3) The photoresist doesnt develop properly on dry days-- take the PC
boards for an hour at the YMCA steam bath.

Mike Young

unread,
Jan 23, 2006, 5:20:39 PM1/23/06
to
"Carl Smith" <cdsmith...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1e3cc5068...@news.west.earthlink.net...

>> Damn! All I get is a 404 at the URL given.
>
> My newsreader program decided to be helpful and word wrap the
> URL, breaking it in the middle. Put the two halves together
> with cut and paste in your web browser and it should work.

Quote them in angle brackets:
http://www.fpga-faq.org/FAQ_Pages/0043_Steps_to_make_a_Printed_Circuit_Board.htm.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

unread,
Jan 24, 2006, 12:12:12 AM1/24/06
to

They forgot 11a) Verify that all traces go somewhere and connect to
something.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com
------------------------------------------------------------------
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my pants!

John Popelish

unread,
Jan 24, 2006, 1:41:29 AM1/24/06
to
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

> They forgot 11a) Verify that all traces go somewhere and connect to
> something.

I have designed many traces that go somewhere but connect to nothing.
Or sometimes they go somewhere and then come back by a different
route. Nothing wrong with that, when you need them.

DJ Delorie

unread,
Jan 24, 2006, 12:54:28 PM1/24/06
to

John Popelish <jpop...@rica.net> writes:
> I have designed many traces that go somewhere but connect to
> nothing. Or sometimes they go somewhere and then come back by a
> different route. Nothing wrong with that, when you need them.

One of the neat things the "new" pcb will be able to do is this:

* bring up the netlist dialog box.

* click on the first net. It gets highlighted on the board.

* press and hold the down arrow key.

* Each net gets highlighted in turn on the board as you auto-repeat
down through the list.

Since your eyes and brain make a VERY powerful pattern matcher, even
at full repeat speed you can still catch the occasional "odd" path.

Rich Grise

unread,
Jan 24, 2006, 1:52:58 PM1/24/06
to

And if you're working with high frequencies, it could be a tuning or
impedance-matching stub. :-)

Cheers!
Rich


Rich Grise

unread,
Jan 24, 2006, 1:56:58 PM1/24/06
to

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. ;-)

I heard that the guy that came up with that little bit of instructions
(like, people need instructions to operate shampoo?) got a huge bonus
because shampoo sales doubled overnight. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

unread,
Jan 24, 2006, 2:00:52 PM1/24/06
to

Howcome I don't see angle brackets? ;-) Actually, all you have to do
is turn "word wrap" off. :-)

Cheers!
Rich


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages