Covid: Trigger of rare blood clots with AstraZeneca jab found by scientists

skybuck2000

Dec 2, 2021, 2:56:42 PM12/2/21

Anthony William Sloman

Dec 2, 2021, 9:31:21 PM12/2/21
On Friday, December 3, 2021 at 6:56:42 AM UTC+11, skybuck2000 wrote:
> https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418123

So Skybuck has only just found out about this. We've posted here about Astra-Zeneca blood clot risk before.

The critical point is that the blood clot reaction is rare - about ten per million people vaccinated - and not all that likely to kill - about one per million people vaccinated.

The BBC report gets around to this eventually - 73 deaths in 50 million people vaccinated (1.46 per million) - but doesn't mention that it has killed fewer people recently now that doctors know what to look out for and what to do if clotting does happen.

It's also a risk that is well worth running - it you do catch Covid-19 it is great deal more likely to kill you than the clotting problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Martin Brown

Dec 3, 2021, 5:06:50 AM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 02:31, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Friday, December 3, 2021 at 6:56:42 AM UTC+11, skybuck2000 wrote:
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418123
>
> So Skybuck has only just found out about this. We've posted here about Astra-Zeneca blood clot risk before.
>
> The critical point is that the blood clot reaction is rare - about ten per million people vaccinated - and not all that likely to kill - about one per million people vaccinated.

What is interesting about this research is that they now understand the
mechanism that causes the disastrous clumping that leads to blood clots.
It turns out that the adenovirus carries a surprisingly strong negative
surface charge capable of attracting certain blood proteins.

One of these proteins in some people is unfortunately a good fit and can
bind on.

> The BBC report gets around to this eventually - 73 deaths in 50 million people vaccinated (1.46 per million) - but doesn't mention that it has killed fewer people recently now that doctors know what to look out for and what to do if clotting does happen.
>
> It's also a risk that is well worth running - it you do catch Covid-19 it is great deal more likely to kill you than the clotting problem.

The AZ vaccine looks like it is very effective and over a broader range
than the mRNA ones but the latter give higher initial antibody levels.

UK boosters will all be mRNA vaccines as the the trials have shown that
for a booster dose they perform the best of all in everyone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59489988

--
Regards,
Martin Brown