OT: Usenet software

1 view

fr...@yahoo.com

Jun 15, 2005, 3:02:18 PM6/15/05
I would like to know what is the best software to monitor/receive mail
from this newsgroup. I know, this is very off topic but I want to find
a efficient way to monitor this list since it is very interresting.
Fred

Keith Williams

Jun 15, 2005, 3:05:44 PM6/15/05
In article <1118861099....@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
fr...@yahoo.com says...

I assume you mean software to read the newsgroups (the Usenet is not
email). The choice of software is personal, but I'd propose that
anything other than GoogleGroups or M$ OuthouseExcess is a good choice.
I prefer Gravity for Windows and Pan for Linux (both free).

The other thing you need is a news (NNTP) server. Your ISP may have a
server, though another good choice is Individual.net (about $13/year).

--
Keith

Terry Pinnell

Jun 15, 2005, 3:53:22 PM6/15/05
fr...@yahoo.com wrote:

I use Agent (from Forte), which still has a good following despite its
age and its relatively slow pace of development.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Jim Thompson

Jun 15, 2005, 4:02:52 PM6/15/05
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:53:22 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<terrypi...@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>fr...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>I would like to know what is the best software to monitor/receive mail
>>from this newsgroup. I know, this is very off topic but I want to find
>>a efficient way to monitor this list since it is very interresting.
>>Fred
>
>I use Agent (from Forte), which still has a good following despite its
>age and its relatively slow pace of development.

You'd rather use fast-changing Microshit?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Mike Monett

Jun 15, 2005, 4:35:02 PM6/15/05
Terry Pinnell wrote:

> fr...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >I would like to know what is the best software to monitor/receive mail
> >from this newsgroup. I know, this is very off topic but I want to find
> >a efficient way to monitor this list since it is very interresting.
> >Fred
>
> I use Agent (from Forte), which still has a good following despite its
> age and its relatively slow pace of development.

> Terry Pinnell
> Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

For email and newsgroups, I use Win 3.1 and Netscape 2.02. I tried
all the other clients that run on Win 3.1, but could not find anything
that worked as well as the original Netscape. Version 3.04 is ok, but 4
and later versions are a disaster. You can find V2.02 in many places on
the web, and it should run on any version of Windows that supports 16 bit
code. Search for "n16e202.exe".

I have Win 95 and Linux on other machines, but do not connect them to the
web. Win 3.1 is nearly perfect for the work I do. Viruses, trojans and
spyware won't run, and I have no problems browsing with Opera 3.62.

Once in a while I come across a site that needs MSIE 5.0, but this is
rare. If the site is so bad that MSIE won't work, it's a sign the site is
so badly designed it will be impossible to get what I need anyway. There
are plenty of other sites that are better designed.

Mike Monett

JeffM

Jun 15, 2005, 5:18:09 PM6/15/05
>what is the best software to monitor/receive mail from this newsgroup.
>I want to find a efficient way to monitor this list
> Fred (frb78 @ yahoo.com)

As Keith pointed out, this is
http://www.google.com/search?q=NNTP-Network-News-Transfer-Protocol+Port-119
not
http://www.google.com/search?q=Simple-Mail-Transport-Protocol+Post-Office-Protocol+Port-25+Port-110
nor a
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:mailing+list

As this (newsreaders) category of software is fairly mature,
preference is a personal thing:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/browse_frm/thread/3068a910b1f97808/04dd856aad39bbfa?q=does-your-reader+Pan+such-as-Agent+Forte-Agent+Mozilla

A lot of folks agree with Keith on the Windoze side:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=best-newsreader+free+Microplanet+-rover+-mac+-macintosh+-linux
(There are many other M$-compatible newsreaders:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=gravity+forte+xnews+40tude+mozilla .)

and who agree with him on the Linux side:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=best-newsreader+Linux+pan
(I especially like the way pan versions are denoted
--no 1.1.1, 1.1.2 for them.)
There are ports of pan for Windoze as well:
http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:lIa6H83Q4PAJ:pan.rebelbase.com/+%20Pan-is-a-newsreader+haleykd+Windows-build+K-Haley+Windows
.
.
There are newsreaders especially for the binaries newsgroups
(e.g., alt.binaries.schematics.electronic):
http://www.google.com/search?q=Binary+OR+binaries+News-Pro+NewsBin-Pro+News-Rover+Xnews
.
.
This is the document on which the newsgroups concept is based:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8PaSp2kKbWoJ:www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html+at-*-top-*-*-message+give-context
It amazes me how many folks on Usenet don't know it exists
--much less have read it.

Combine that with some (seemingly common sense) things like
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/9fa5d18c525aee9e/092560714d47206b?q=prefix-those-links-with-http-then-they're-clickable+zapatopi.net-afdb.html-and-for-Amiga/Linux-users-zapatopi.net-mindguard.html
and you're off to a good start.

Welcome to the mad-house.

Jim Yanik

Jun 15, 2005, 7:33:09 PM6/15/05
fr...@yahoo.com wrote in

try
www.tucows.com
or
Nonags;
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/menu.html

for shareware and freeware newsreaders.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Don Bowey

Jun 15, 2005, 8:54:14 PM6/15/05
On 6/15/05 4:33 PM, in article Xns9676C6BB7BE...@129.250.170.86,
"Jim Yanik" <jya...@abuse.gov.> wrote:

I'm getting into this somewhere down-string, but.....

I recently went through several readers while searching for a good one, and
was surprised to find I already owned one. It is Entourage, which is part
of Microsoft Office. It is very easy to use, with many user-friendly
options. I use it to fetch my email, as well as the newsgroup posts. I
really like it and have none of my usual complaints about Microsoft
products.

I use OSX (Mac), but I'm sure it's also available for Windows crunchers.

Don

Boris Mohar

Jun 15, 2005, 8:56:15 PM6/15/05

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Agent handles personal email and Usenet.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

Joerg

Jun 15, 2005, 10:01:06 PM6/15/05
Mozilla is pretty good. I use the suite since it is nicely integrated
with a great web browser. If you want to check it out:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Paul Burke

Jun 16, 2005, 3:06:52 AM6/16/05

Thunderbird, good for mail, good for usenet.

Paul Burke

Ken Moffett

Jun 16, 2005, 7:24:51 AM6/16/05
fr...@yahoo.com wrote in news:1118861099.331996.57490