Cheap potting alternative

Larry Kent

Mar 6, 2010, 11:09:22 PM3/6/10
Is it possible to use epoxy or polyester surfboard resin for potting
audio fequency PCB's?

How about the crystal epoxy used for encapsulating insects, etc?

Any other low cost alternatives, aside from flexible rubber/silicone?

Many thanks,

Larry Kent

D from BC

Mar 6, 2010, 11:44:51 PM3/6/10
In article <4b932620...@news.tpg.com.au>, larr...@raglands.com
says...

I tried a solvent based 2 part epoxy mistint sold for cheap at a paint
store.
It only dries in thin film as it's supposed to.
I tried potting and it was still gooey after 1 week.
The gooeyness could be from solvent getting trapped by the skin that
forms. iows.. The epoxy paint self-seals extending the cure time.
That or the paint was overtinted. Was blue.
So don't try that.
Solvent based epoxy paint is different than 100% solids epoxy or the
type used for glue.

Maybe try 100% solids epoxy for floors??

--
D from BC
British Columbia

Kevin McMurtrie

Mar 7, 2010, 12:17:48 AM3/7/10
In article <4b932620...@news.tpg.com.au>,
larr...@raglands.com (Larry Kent) wrote:

Don't use general purpose epoxy or polyester! Some formulas will sweat
compounds that are corrosive and conductive. Formulas meant for fiber
composites can get so hot in large volumes that they'll incinerate
themselves.

You can buy electronics potting compounds at online electronics stores.

Conformal coatings can provide water and dirt resistance without making
the circuit impossible to repair. Aerosol cans of pure urethane from a
hardware store seem to work well too. I haven't seen urethane attack
anything yet and adhesion is pretty good.

Avoid 3M Scotch Weld Epoxy Potting Compound because it has extremely
poor adhesion. It forms beads in thin films and it cracks away in thick
films. Either way your project is ruined.

D Yuniskis

Mar 7, 2010, 12:52:36 AM3/7/10
Hi Larry,

Larry Kent wrote:
> Is it possible to use epoxy or polyester surfboard resin for potting
> audio fequency PCB's?
>
> How about the crystal epoxy used for encapsulating insects, etc?
>
> Any other low cost alternatives, aside from flexible rubber/silicone?

What are your *goals* in potting the circuit ("protect" IP, prevent
tampering, environmental extremes, etc.)?

Also, what other criteria affect your choice of compounds (e.g.,
thermal properties, weight, etc.)

Dave Platt

Mar 7, 2010, 1:17:50 AM3/7/10
>Is it possible to use epoxy or polyester surfboard resin for potting
>audio fequency PCB's?
>
>How about the crystal epoxy used for encapsulating insects, etc?

Polyester resins often heat up a lot, and shrink, when curing. That's
not necessarily a problem when fiberglassing a surfboard, but it can
put a serious stress on components during encapsulation - might crack
'em loose from the board in a really severe case. I believe this
tendency can be reduced somewhat by using a slower curing cycle (less
catalyst per amount of resin).

Some of these resins remain somewhat sticky when cured, and need a
topcoating or upper layer containing a surface-hardening agent or wax.

You can "stretch" epoxy used for potting, and save quite a bit of
money, by loading it up with a filler before pouring. I've
encapsulated small circuit boards in TAP Plastics' slow-cure marine
epoxy, mixed with fine dry sand... cheap and effective, if rather
heavy and prone to settle out during the curing process. Glass
microspheres are much lighter, don't form as hard a matrix, and are
rather more expensive :-(

--
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> AE6EO

Larry Kent

Mar 7, 2010, 5:09:15 AM3/7/10
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 22:17:50 -0800, dpl...@radagast.org (Dave Platt)
wrote:

>You can "stretch" epoxy used for potting, and save quite a bit of
>money, by loading it up with a filler before pouring. I've
>encapsulated small circuit boards in TAP Plastics' slow-cure marine
>epoxy, mixed with fine dry sand... cheap and effective, if rather
>heavy and prone to settle out during the curing process. Glass
>microspheres are much lighter, don't form as hard a matrix, and are
>rather more expensive :-(

A friend suggested surfboard epoxy, but with the foam powder that they
use for ding repairs mixed in. Lighter than sand, athough not a tough
I suppose. The "give" it provides apparently cushions the parts during
curing.

Does that sound feasible?

Larry Kent

Jan Panteltje

Mar 7, 2010, 6:50:50 AM3/7/10
On a sunny day (Sat, 6 Mar 2010 22:17:50 -0800) it happened
dpl...@radagast.org (Dave Platt) wrote in <e1tb67-...@radagast.org>:

>>Is it possible to use epoxy or polyester surfboard resin for potting
>>audio fequency PCB's?
>>
>>How about the crystal epoxy used for encapsulating insects, etc?
>
>Polyester resins often heat up a lot, and shrink, when curing. That's
>not necessarily a problem when fiberglassing a surfboard, but it can
>put a serious stress on components during encapsulation - might crack
>'em loose from the board in a really severe case. I believe this
>tendency can be reduced somewhat by using a slower curing cycle (less
>catalyst per amount of resin).
>
>Some of these resins remain somewhat sticky when cured, and need a
>topcoating or upper layer containing a surface-hardening agent or wax.
>
>You can "stretch" epoxy used for potting, and save quite a bit of
>money, by loading it up with a filler before pouring. I've
>encapsulated small circuit boards in TAP Plastics' slow-cure marine
>epoxy, mixed with fine dry sand... cheap and effective, if rather
>heavy and prone to settle out during the curing process. Glass
>microspheres are much lighter, don't form as hard a matrix, and are
>rather more expensive :-(

The electronics in my outside located satellte TV dish motor controller
seems to be covered with some wax, parafine perhaps.
It does make it insensitive to moist it seems, been working OK for years,
in spite of the fact that my scope probe pricked holes in the wax at some points
when I was figuring out the circuit ;-)

Boris Mohar

Mar 7, 2010, 7:28:00 AM3/7/10

Wax.

--
Boris

Jim Yanik

Mar 7, 2010, 8:39:07 AM3/7/10
D from BC <myreal...@comic.com> wrote in

epoxy cures by a thermal reaction;it can get pretty hot,especially in thick
applications.
Some folks discovered this when the plastic tub of epoxy they mixed up
melted from the heat of the reaction.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik

Mar 7, 2010, 8:41:23 AM3/7/10
larr...@raglands.com (Larry Kent) wrote in

you can buy phenolic microballoon fillers at marine stores,where you will
find quality boatbuilding epoxies like West systems.
Lightweight,yet easy to machine.

legg

Mar 7, 2010, 9:19:41 AM3/7/10

=fuel

RL

MooseFET

Mar 7, 2010, 10:21:14 AM3/7/10

How about, don't pot it. It is a low cost alternative you may not
have
considered.

I have seen boards potted in stuff that was basically tar. At about
100C
the stuff would melt and become a sort of sticky goo.

J.A. Legris

Mar 7, 2010, 11:12:49 AM3/7/10

Cheapest alternative: don't pot - it's messy, insecure,
environmentally unfriendly, and makes service and repair just about
impossible.

Unless you intend to make it part of the surfboard, in which case you
should consider a sealed enclosure.

--
Joe

Dr. Heywood R. Floyd

Mar 7, 2010, 11:41:13 AM3/7/10
wrote:

>>Is it possible to use epoxy or polyester surfboard resin for potting

>>audio fequency PCB's?
>>
>>How about the crystal epoxy used for encapsulating insects, etc?
>
>Polyester resins often heat up a lot, and shrink, when curing. That's
>not necessarily a problem when fiberglassing a surfboard, but it can
>put a serious stress on components during encapsulation - might crack
>'em loose from the board in a really severe case. I believe this
>tendency can be reduced somewhat by using a slower curing cycle (less
>catalyst per amount of resin).

One can also reduce this issue by conformally coating the PCB first.
That way, no potting compound migrates between SMT parts and the PCB ,
which is where these shear forces occur.

>Some of these resins remain somewhat sticky when cured, and need a
>topcoating or upper layer containing a surface-hardening agent or wax.
>
>You can "stretch" epoxy used for potting, and save quite a bit of
>money, by loading it up with a filler before pouring.

Fine grain fiberglass "powder" (shards) makes an excellent filler as it
also makes the media a better thermal conductor.

> I've
>encapsulated small circuit boards in TAP Plastics' slow-cure marine
>epoxy, mixed with fine dry sand... cheap and effective, if rather
>heavy and prone to settle out during the curing process. Glass
>microspheres are much lighter, don't form as hard a matrix, and are
>rather more expensive :-(

One can go to nearly any automotive machine shop, and can usually buy a
handful (or a quart sized volume) of glass beads used for grit blasting
purposes. You need to buy it from a newly opened bag that has not been
added to the grit blaster yet.

Archimedes' Lever

Mar 7, 2010, 11:43:12 AM3/7/10
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 07:28:00 -0500, Boris Mohar
<borism...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Tar.

Bwuahahahahahaha!

Archimedes' Lever

Mar 7, 2010, 11:46:11 AM3/7/10
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 08:12:49 -0800 (PST), "J.A. Legris"
<jale...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On Mar 6, 11:09�pm, larryk...@raglands.com (Larry Kent) wrote:
>> Is it possible to use epoxy or polyester surfboard resin for potting
>> audio fequency PCB's?
>>
>> How about the crystal epoxy used for encapsulating insects, etc?
>>
>> Any other low cost alternatives, aside from flexible rubber/silicone?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Larry Kent
>
>Cheapest alternative: don't pot - it's messy,

You're retarded.

> insecure,

You're a pussy too.

>environmentally unfriendly,

And, you are a goddamned liar as well.

> and makes service and repair just about
>impossible.

Only for completely brainless lying fucktards like you.

>Unless you intend to make it part of the surfboard, in which case you
>should consider a sealed enclosure.

He should at least never consider considering any of your suggestions.

amark

Mar 7, 2010, 4:54:20 PM3/7/10

Yes. I have seen candlewax (microcrystalline wax from one of the big
oil companies) used to pot a fm microphone circuit. It seemed pretty
practical to me.

Joerg

Mar 8, 2010, 8:30:34 PM3/8/10
Larry Kent wrote:
> Is it possible to use epoxy or polyester surfboard resin for potting
> audio fequency PCB's?
>
> How about the crystal epoxy used for encapsulating insects, etc?
>
> Any other low cost alternatives, aside from flexible rubber/silicone?

In the olden days potting tar was used, and often still is. Very cheap
but I wouldn't know a distributor anymore. However, it is not very
pretty if that's what you are after.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.

Pablo Wilson

Feb 21, 2024, 1:21:58 PMFeb 21
If you're interested in exploring the world of psychedelic mushrooms, you may be wondering if it's possible to buy shrooms online. The good news is that there are many online retailers that offer a wide range of mushroom products, from dried mushrooms to capsules, edibles, and more.
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/57?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/148?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/128
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/120
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/118?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/54
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/46
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/16?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/11?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/6
With a large selection of products to meet our clients' demands, Buy Psychedelics Online Shop is your go-to online drug store. We work hard to provide the best Legal Psychedelics For Sale Online and ship our goods internationally from everywhere.
With a large selection of products to meet our clients' demands, Buy Psychedelics Online Shop is your go-to online drug store. We work hard to provide the best Legal Psychedelics For Sale Online and ship our goods internationally from everywhere.

Buy Dmt Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/610
Buy Top Quality Pink Runtz In USA
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/609
Buy Packwood disposable catrideges Online
Order Big Chief Gummies Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/603
Order Edibles in Europe
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/598
Buy Gel Tabs Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/596
Buy One Up Psilocybin mushrooms microdose Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/596
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/593
Buy Percs Online M30
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/573
Buy XTC Pills Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/571
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/570
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/567
Buy Ketamine Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/566
Buy Trippy Flip Chocolate Bars In USA
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/566
Buy Space Caps Chocolate Bars Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/566
Buy LSD Sheet In USA
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/560
Buy Trippy Money 500mg Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/560
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/556
Order LSD Sheet Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/552
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/548
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/546
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/540
Buy Escasy Pills Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/539
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/53
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/520
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/517
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/501?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/497
Buy Dried Golden Teacher Mushrooms Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/490
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/487
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/477
Buy Hash Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/473
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/471
Buy Stiizy Pods Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/458
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/456
Buy FRYD Catrideges Online
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/455
Buy Psilo-Vibin Infused Chocolate bars
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/455
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/420
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/415
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/412
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/409
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/407
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/388
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/386
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/320?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/275
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/251
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/217
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/208?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/206
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/183?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/128
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/128
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/633
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/630
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/628?single
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/626
https://t.me/psychedelicmasters/625?single

Sammy Kion

Feb 22, 2024, 12:17:55 PMFeb 22
BUY LSD edibles click on our telegram Link to place an order with us thanks.
> [...]
>

> In fact, in today’s world, magic mushroom information and products are ever more accessible than in the past. When searching online for where to find authentic Golden Teacher mushrooms, there are key factors that determine a retailer’s reliability:
>

> • Well-informed staff who are knowledgeable about products and legal statuses.
>
> • Helpful customer service department to assist with queries as needed.
>
> • Secure and reliable shipping options with order tracking.
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> https://t.me/dammygell45
>

> Please note that Fungushead will deny the sale at any suspicion that the spores are intended for cultivation purposes without the proper licensing. Stay safe, stay knowledgeable, and enjoy your journey of the Golden Teacher mushroom strain
>

> https://t.me/dammygell45
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> BEST VENDORS EVER CLICK ON OUR TELEGRAM LINK TO PLACE AN ORDER WITH US THANKS 🇱🇷.
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> Mushroom chocolate bars have captured the imagination of food enthusiasts and health-conscious individuals alike. This intriguing combination brings together the earthy goodness of mushrooms and the indulgent delight of chocolate, creating a unique culinary experience that is both delicious and intriguing.
> Telegram link:
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> Beyond the taste, these bars have gained attention for their potential health benefits and therapeutic properties. In this article, we will delve into the science behind the magic of mushroom chocolate bars, exploring the fascinating chemical composition of mushrooms, uncovering the role of mycelium, and unraveling the secrets of mushroom compounds like psilocybin. Join us on this exploration as we discover the captivating world of mushroom chocolate bars and understand how they work their magic.
> Polka Dot Chocolate Bars For sale | Magic Belgian Chocolate | Buy Polka Dot Magic Belgian Chocolate Bar
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> https://t.me/dammygell45
> Links To More Chocolate Bars
> Buy cap up bar:
>

> Buy fusion bars
> Buy Winder Bar Mushroom Chocolate Bar
> Buy Shroomies Microbites Assorted Gummies USA:
> Buy Trippy Treats Mushrooms Chocolate Bars | Trippy Chocolate Bars:
> Buy Psilo Gummies California| Psilocybin Mushroom Gummies
> Magic Boom Bar | Buy Magic Mushroom Chocolate Bars
> Buy Green Apple Mushroom Gummies
> Buy Dark Chocolates:
> Buy One Up Chocolate Bar | One Up Mushroom Bar For Sale
> Buy Trippy Flipp Mushroom Chocolate bars

BUY DMT VAPE PEN - DMT VAPE PENS FOR SALE CLICK ON OUR TELEGRAM LINK TO PLACE AN ORDER WITH US THANKS