University of Oxford-Novavax Malaria Vaccine Demonstrates 77% Efficacy in Children

Fred Bloggs

Apr 24, 2021, 1:46:26 PM4/24/21
Malaria has been an extraordinarily difficult challenge for vaccine development because of the three orders of magnitude larger number of genes present compared to a virus. Malaria is a protozoa. Jenner and Novavax were working on this vaccine several years prior to the pandemic and claim the knowledge gained in this pursuit accelerated development of their COVID-19 vaccine. This vaccine is a protein vaccine and not an adenovirus vector. The antigen is a malaria circumsporozoite protein attached to a hepatitis B surface protein of all things. We'll be needing this in the northern climates before long thanks to the major climate shifts unfolding.

https://www.biospace.com/article/university-of-oxford-novavax-malaria-vaccine-demonstrates-77-percent-efficacy-in-children/

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/potential-new-malaria-vaccine-shows-promise-burkina-faso-trial-2021-04-23/

Bill Sloman

Apr 24, 2021, 10:29:00 PM4/24/21
At last. People have been looking for a vaccine against malaria for a very long time. Back when I was a graduate student, in the later 1960's -the
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute in Melbourne were looking hard at the problem. Molecular biology has come on a lot since then.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney