COVID and Right to Life

Rick C

Sep 10, 2021, 11:05:30 PM9/10/21
It would seem there are very similar concepts involved in the idea of a woman's right to choose vs. a fetus' right to life and being forced to wear a mask and take a vaccine to reduce the spread of a deadly pandemic.

Individual freedom vs. harm to others.

In the case of abortion it comes down to at which point in development you declare a fertilized egg to be a person. There is no unarguable point to draw that line. I've heard some claim it should be as late as 13 years after birth. This is why the issue has raged for such a long time with no clear resolution other than an arbitrary decision in the US some 50 years ago based on the viability of the fetus outside the womb.

In the case of COVID it would seem to be a pretty clear matter of an overwhelming good to the population at large with virtually no chance of harm resulting from vaccines and literally no harm from wearing masks. I believe the chance of harm from getting a vaccine is about the same as a month of driving in the US. This is much like the tiny additional risk from radiation of granite counter tops or tanning in the sun even with sunscreen.

I can get why there is debate about abortion. I don't get why many of the same people who want to take away the right to choose feel it's OK to impose their will on other's health by promoting the spread of a deadly disease.

What am I missing?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Feather Duster

Sep 10, 2021, 11:14:19 PM9/10/21
Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What am I missing?

The ability to comprehend on-topic vs. off-topic posts and to not post
off-topic material.

Your brain fart of a post has nothing to do with electronics nor
electronics design.

Anthony William Sloman

Sep 10, 2021, 11:28:03 PM9/10/21
Neither does most of the stuff posted by our most prolific poster - John Larkin. I've been posting here for more than twenty years, and (and so has John Larkin) and there has always been quite a lot of off-topic content.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Ed Lee

Sep 10, 2021, 11:31:54 PM9/10/21
Well, his ad for selling Tesla is somewhat related to electronics.

John Doe

Sep 17, 2021, 8:04:48 AM9/17/21
"the concepts "male" and "female" are essentially social constructions" (Bill Sloman)

Bozo the Clown...

--
Anthony William Sloman <bill....@ieee.org> wrote:

> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 20:27:59 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: COVID and Right to Life
> From: Anthony William Sloman <bill....@ieee.org>

Rick C

Sep 17, 2021, 11:08:27 AM9/17/21
On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:04:48 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
> "the concepts "male" and "female" are essentially social constructions" (Bill Sloman)

I normally ignore everything this twit posts, but this just stood out. For days, the imbecile ignores a thread with meaningful content just to post the most absurd nonsense anyone in the group every posts. It is so amazing this guy tolerates the abuse he brings on himself. Or maybe not. It would appear that is why he comes here, for the abuse.

> Bozo the Clown...

Yes! You certainly are. Twit!

Now, much like Phil A, not be able to resist replying with more insanity, clearly showing his depravity.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Rick C

Sep 17, 2021, 11:17:11 AM9/17/21
And you, you cretinous afterbirth - barely possessing brain enough to form a sentence, virtually every thread in sed either is off topic from the start, or quickly becomes off topic by the howler monkey rantings of your fellow cretins. So your Tourette-like outburst shows your inability to have a civil discourse within the group mores.

Brain fart indeed. You must be remembering your own birth.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

John Doe

Sep 17, 2021, 12:46:02 PM9/17/21
Feel the love...

--
Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 08:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: COVID and Right to Life
> From: Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com>

Edward Hernandez

Sep 17, 2021, 4:23:47 PM9/17/21
The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
<sdhn7c$pkp$4...@dont-email.me>:

> The troll doesn't even know how to format a USENET post...

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
<sg3kr7$qt5$1...@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorectly formatted USENET posting on Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:45:56 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <si2go3$604$4...@dont-email.me>.

Edward Hernandez

Sep 17, 2021, 4:27:48 PM9/17/21

<sg3kr7$qt5$1...@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorectly formatted USENET posting on Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:04:42 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <si208q$ktu$2...@dont-email.me>.

John Doe

Sep 17, 2021, 4:50:56 PM9/17/21
A weird nym-shifting stalker, usually "Corvid" (also "Charger Boy", see sci.electronics.repair)...

see also...
=?UTF-8?Q?C=c3=b6rvid?= <b...@ckbirds.org>
=?UTF-8?B?8J+QriBDb3dzIGFyZSBOaWNlIPCfkK4=?= <ni...@cows.moo>
Banders <sn...@mailchute.com>
Covid-19 <alway...@message.header>
Corvid <b...@ckbirds.net>
Corvid <b...@ckbirds.org>
Cows Are Nice <co...@nice.moo>
Cows are nice <m...@cows.org>
Cows are Nice <ni...@cows.moo>
dogs <do...@home.com>
Edward H. <dtga...@gmail.com>
Edward Hernandez <dtga...@gmail.com>
Great Pumpkin <pum...@patch.net>
Jose Curvo <jcu...@mymail.com>
Local Favorite <how2r...@palomar.info>
Peter Weiner <dtga...@gmail.com>
Sea <fres...@coast.org>
Standard Poodle <stan...@poodle.com>
triangles <bu...@home.com>
and others...

--
Edward Hernandez <dtga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Edward Hernandez <dtga...@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: COVID and Right to Life
> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:27:43 -0000 (UTC)

Edward Hernandez

Sep 17, 2021, 5:02:15 PM9/17/21

<sg3kr7$qt5$1...@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorectly formatted USENET posting on Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:50:50 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <si2v3a$vso$2...@dont-email.me>.

DecadentLinux...@decadence.org

Sep 17, 2021, 5:22:50 PM9/17/21
Edward Hernandez <dtga...@gmail.com> wrote in
He posts a bunch of bullshit.

PEASE STOP following around him declaring such, because then YOU are
posting unneccessary bullshit into the group as well.

We do not need the clutter, and we alredy know about the putz and do
not need daily announcements about just how stupid he is. Doing so
takes you down to his level. So STOP IT.

Rick C

Sep 17, 2021, 5:29:02 PM9/17/21
Interesting that none of more rational right wing-nuts have bothered to address this thread. I guess the contradiction is clear, even to them.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

John Doe

Sep 17, 2021, 5:41:12 PM9/17/21
Rick C wrote:

> Rick C wrote:

>> In the case of abortion it comes down to at which point in development
>> you declare a fertilized egg to be a person. There is no unarguable
>> point to draw that line. I've heard some claim it should be as late as
>> 13 years after birth.

> Interesting that none of more rational right wing-nuts have bothered to
> address this thread.

Rational people thought you were kidding.

Rational people expected it to be labeled "OT".

Rational people are by definition not "nuts".

DecadentLinux...@decadence.org

Sep 17, 2021, 7:33:34 PM9/17/21
John Doe <alway...@message.header> wrote in
That succinctly rules you out as a member of that class.

Rationality and being a right wing nut are mutually exclusive.

John Doe

Sep 18, 2021, 11:13:38 AM9/18/21
I've never seen such devotion in a droid...

--
Edward Hernandez <dtga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Edward Hernandez <dtga...@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: COVID and Right to Life
> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:23:42 -0000 (UTC)

Edward Hernandez

Sep 18, 2021, 12:12:26 PM9/18/21

<sg3kr7$qt5$1...@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorectly formatted USENET posting on Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:13:32 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <si4vmr$1o1$1...@dont-email.me>.

Rich S

Sep 20, 2021, 3:33:51 PM9/20/21
(I've thought about addressing this for some time, so here goes... hope it won't cause "flames")

I love SED for its keen, expert electronic insights. period. I'm not expert-enough to post much,
but certainly do care about these topics.

I skip over all the off-topic stuff. Usually. But in this thread I detect the "meta-subject".

"What is the real purpose of this discussion group?"

Because mostly the same old buddies tend to post here, its developed into a social media circle.
And you feel comfortable straying off or far off topic. There's no moderator to stop such actions.

So SED is not managed, it's reflecting the personality of this "collective personality".

As such I have to ignore the crankiness and embrace the expertise, as I would with some
other co-worker ;-)

While it would be nice if we could heal ourselves, there is no significant pressure to do that.
No "HR Department", calling you into the hot seat.

cheers, Rich S.

Rick C

Sep 23, 2021, 4:00:06 PM9/23/21
I've been reading of religious exemptions to requirements for vaccination in jobs. I'm not sure that is a good idea. I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) there have been examples of religiously sanctioned behavior that remains prohibited by law or to force behavior that is required by law. There are also examples of counterpoints.

In Wisconsin v. Yoder the court ruled that the state's interest in providing education was not significant enough to override the individual's religious beliefs.

In United States v. Lee, the court ruled the religious belief interests of workers and employers was not significant enough to allow exclusion to contributing to the Social Security system.

I think the degree of distinction in these two cases shows the line is drawn such that a religious exemption to receiving a generally safe vaccine which can help prevent the deaths of hundreds of thousands or even millions of US citizens would not be allowed. I'm pretty sure a rate of death of 1,700 per day is adequate to show a significant interest by the state in mandating vaccinations to everyone medically capable of receiving them.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

John Doe

Sep 23, 2021, 4:05:53 PM9/23/21
Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn v. Cuomo

A case in which the Court issue a preliminary injunction preventing New
York from enforcing COVID-19 related occupancy limits on religious
services because of their burden on religion.

--
Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 13:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: OT - COVID and Right to Life
> From: Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com>

Edward Hernandez

Sep 23, 2021, 11:03:32 PM9/23/21

<sg3kr7$qt5$1...@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 23 Sep 2021 20:05:50 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <siimmu$rqk$4...@dont-email.me>.