OT: Sirloin Burger, Anyone?

Jim Thompson

Jun 18, 2015, 5:26:17 PM6/18/15
<http://tinyurl.com/q2yy5wr>

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

bloggs.fred...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2015, 6:56:04 PM6/18/15
Eliminating unnecessarily inhumane and unhealthy agricultural supply side practices is hardly progressive. George Will doesn't know anything about it and is an idiot.

Martin Riddle

Jun 18, 2015, 7:00:04 PM6/18/15
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:26:12 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

><http://tinyurl.com/q2yy5wr>
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Nah, but I did pickup some bison last week.

Cheers

John Larkin

Jun 18, 2015, 7:04:41 PM6/18/15
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:26:12 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

><http://tinyurl.com/q2yy5wr>
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Absolutely not some of George Will's best writing. I never suspected
that he was the author until I saw his name at the end. He isn't often
trite and smarmy.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Jim Thompson

Jun 18, 2015, 7:05:37 PM6/18/15
I had some Bison at a restaurant (Left Seat?) near the Denver Airport
one time... found it so lean it was tasteless.

krw

Jun 18, 2015, 8:44:11 PM6/18/15
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:05:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:59:51 -0400, Martin Riddle
><marti...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:26:12 -0700, Jim Thompson
>><To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>>
>>><http://tinyurl.com/q2yy5wr>
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>
>>Nah, but I did pickup some bison last week.
>>
>>Cheers
>
>I had some Bison at a restaurant (Left Seat?) near the Denver Airport
>one time... found it so lean it was tasteless.

Yeah, Ted's (as in Ted Turner[*]), here, has Bison Burgers but their
beef burgers are much better tasting.

[*] Bison is raised on his Montana ranch.

bloggs.fred...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2015, 9:49:40 PM6/18/15

Martin Riddle

Jun 18, 2015, 10:55:07 PM6/18/15
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:05:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:59:51 -0400, Martin Riddle
><marti...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:26:12 -0700, Jim Thompson
>><To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>>
>>><http://tinyurl.com/q2yy5wr>
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>
>>Nah, but I did pickup some bison last week.
>>
>>Cheers
>
>I had some Bison at a restaurant (Left Seat?) near the Denver Airport
>one time... found it so lean it was tasteless.
>
> ...Jim Thompson

You need to mix bison with beef and add some egg as a binder. Then
it's not bad.

Cheers

John Larkin

Jun 18, 2015, 11:05:20 PM6/18/15
"I arrived at the bustling Harrisonburg-born bar and was greeted by
the cheery din of happy-hour-goers under a chandelier made out a wagon
wheel with bras and a glitzy disco ball."

That's enough to put a boy off his feed.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

John Devereux

Jun 19, 2015, 3:12:38 AM6/19/15
...and if you leave out the bison I bet it's even better :) !

--

John Devereux

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jun 19, 2015, 3:41:16 AM6/19/15
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:59:51 -0400, Martin Riddle
<marti...@verizon.net> Gave us:
Which is great as it is leaner than pork, beef, and even poultry and
fish.

Still $10 a pound for ground meat is a tad too much.

Cook it quick too, or it will be a tad too tough.

Good stuff, though.

blo...@columbus.rr.com

Jun 19, 2015, 6:50:13 AM6/19/15
On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 5:26:17 PM UTC-4, Jim Thompson wrote:
From the article: "McDonald's has been serving burgers since Ray Kroc opened his first store in Des Plaines, Illinois"

That is not exactly the case. Ray bought the name and rights/ideas from the McDonalds brothers and then built it up in a big way.

Anyhow, I think that the younger generation is just not interested. Their unique spot in the market is gone and they are now looking for the magic formula that probably is gone.

Reinhardt Behm

Jun 19, 2015, 9:22:46 AM6/19/15
John Devereux wrote:

>> You need to mix bison with beef and add some egg as a binder. Then
>> it's not bad.
>
> ...and if you leave out the bison I bet it's even better :) !

Found a while ago:
How to prepare tofu:
Take pan,
put oil into it
let it get hot
throw tofu into garbage can
put steak into pan

--
Reinhardt

John Devereux

Jun 19, 2015, 10:18:22 AM6/19/15
:)
--

John Devereux

George Herold

Jun 19, 2015, 10:22:49 AM6/19/15
On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 3:41:16 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:59:51 -0400, Martin Riddle
> <marti...@verizon.net> Gave us:
>
> >On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:26:12 -0700, Jim Thompson
> ><To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
> >
> >><http://tinyurl.com/q2yy5wr>
> >>
> >> ...Jim Thompson
> >
> >Nah, but I did pickup some bison last week.
> >
> >Cheers
>

> Which is great as it is leaner than pork, beef, and even poultry and
> fish.

You don't want lean meat for a good burger.
The more fat, the better. IMHO
(I'm still trying to convince my wife of this,
leaner is healthier in her book.)
George H.

Jim Thompson

Jun 19, 2015, 10:29:48 AM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 07:22:45 -0700 (PDT), George Herold
<ghe...@teachspin.com> wrote:

>On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 3:41:16 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:59:51 -0400, Martin Riddle
>> <marti...@verizon.net> Gave us:

>> >Nah, but I did pickup some bison last week.
>> >
>> >Cheers
>>

>> Which is great as it is leaner than pork, beef, and even poultry and
>> fish.
>
>You don't want lean meat for a good burger.
>The more fat, the better. IMHO

I think ~15% is good, less comes out dry, more shrivels ups.

>(I'm still trying to convince my wife of this,
>leaner is healthier in her book.)
>George H.
>>
>> Still $10 a pound for ground meat is a tad too much.
>>
>> Cook it quick too, or it will be a tad too tough.
>>
>> Good stuff, though.

When we're not rushed we grind our own. The wife's monster Kitchenaid
mixer had a meat grinder attachment available so we bought it.

John S

Jun 19, 2015, 11:03:45 AM6/19/15
Try gibnut. Better than bison, beef, chicken, and many others.

JW

Jun 19, 2015, 11:20:51 AM6/19/15
<ghe...@teachspin.com> wrote in Message id:
<4428db16-0849-4d10...@googlegroups.com>:

>You don't want lean meat for a good burger.
>The more fat, the better.

To a point I agree. But if there's two much, then the flames flaring up
from the grill tend to char the meat. I like 85% for burgers.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jun 19, 2015, 1:29:48 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 03:50:10 -0700 (PDT), blo...@columbus.rr.com Gave
us:
I think that the entire "quick and dirty" fast food era is about to
topple. Cold cuts and bread in the grocery is cheaper, and far better
for you. Even real food joints are not that much more pricey.

Hell, trans fat bans will probably deal them a healthy blow.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jun 19, 2015, 1:32:23 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 21:22:42 +0800, Reinhardt Behm <rb...@hushmail.com>
Gave us:
Hehehe... I like this recipe.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jun 19, 2015, 1:34:39 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 07:29:44 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@On-My-Web-Site.com> Gave us:

>I think ~15% is good, less comes out dry, more shrivels ups.

I like 72% because I make a 6 inch *thin* patty which shrinks to bread
or bun size.

Spehro Pefhany

Jun 19, 2015, 2:43:39 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 21:22:42 +0800, Reinhardt Behm
Works with eggplant too!

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

John Larkin

Jun 19, 2015, 2:49:45 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:45:45 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 21:22:42 +0800, Reinhardt Behm
><rb...@hushmail.com> wrote:

>>> ...and if you leave out the bison I bet it's even better :) !
>>
>>Found a while ago:
>>How to prepare tofu:
>>Take pan,
>>put oil into it
>>let it get hot
>>throw tofu into garbage can
>>put steak into pan
>
>Works with eggplant too!

We don't need gene tests to see if Olympic atheletes are truly male or
female. Just see if they will eat eggplant.

jurb...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2015, 4:11:38 PM6/19/15
>"How to prepare tofu:
>Take pan,
>put oil into it
>let it get hot
>throw tofu into garbage can
>put steak into pan "

That also applies to a fe other things.

jurb...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2015, 4:13:58 PM6/19/15
>"You don't want lean meat for a good burger.
>The more fat, the better. IMHO
>(I'm still trying to convince my wife of this,
>leaner is healthier in her book.) "

First of all there are a bunch of fat soluble nutrients. You need SOME fat. What's more, along with salt usually, it makes the meat cook alot better. you do not DRINK the grease. Just like deep fried foods, you do not drink the oil. If it is drained properly and the right oil used there is nothing wrong with it. Just don't drink it by the gallon.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Jun 19, 2015, 4:17:00 PM6/19/15
Den fredag den 19. juni 2015 kl. 20.49.45 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:45:45 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
> <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 21:22:42 +0800, Reinhardt Behm
> ><rb...@hushmail.com> wrote:

> >>Found a while ago:
> >>How to prepare tofu:
> >>Take pan,
> >>put oil into it
> >>let it get hot
> >>throw tofu into garbage can
> >>put steak into pan
> >
> >Works with eggplant too!
>
> We don't need gene tests to see if Olympic atheletes are truly male or
> female. Just see if they will eat eggplant.

moussaka is pretty good, raw eggplant is like bitter styrofoam

-Lasse

Phil Hobbs

Jun 19, 2015, 4:28:51 PM6/19/15
On 06/19/2015 02:49 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:45:45 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
> <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 21:22:42 +0800, Reinhardt Behm
>> <rb...@hushmail.com> wrote:

>>> Found a while ago:
>>> How to prepare tofu:
>>> Take pan,
>>> put oil into it
>>> let it get hot
>>> throw tofu into garbage can
>>> put steak into pan
>>
>> Works with eggplant too!
>
> We don't need gene tests to see if Olympic atheletes are truly male or
> female. Just see if they will eat eggplant.

Eggplant is okay if it's sliced _really_thin_ and fried in a hot pan.
Real NY eggplant parm is _delicious_.

My wife likes it cut about 3/4 inches thick and fried that
way...resulting texture reminds me of my sinus problems.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Jim Thompson

Jun 19, 2015, 4:49:01 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:28:47 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

[snip]

>Eggplant is okay if it's sliced _really_thin_ and fried in a hot pan.
>Real NY eggplant parm is _delicious_.
>
>My wife likes it cut about 3/4 inches thick and fried that
>way...resulting texture reminds me of my sinus problems.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Sno-o-o-ort >:-} My wife likes it that way also. I don't watch her
eat it.

Dave Platt

Jun 19, 2015, 5:08:06 PM6/19/15
In article <N4SdnURnmcXi5hnI...@supernews.com>,
Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Eggplant is okay if it's sliced _really_thin_ and fried in a hot pan.

At lunch today, one of the company cafes offered up eggplant which had
been diced into cubes (about 1/2" to 3/4" on a side), fried, and then
served piping-hot with garlic aoli.

Absolutely delicious.

Eggplant certainly *can* be served in ways which make it essentially
inedible, but there are plenty of ways to make it good - fried-and-hot
as above, bhangan bhartha, imam bayildi, baba ghanoush, etc.

Reinhardt Behm

Jun 19, 2015, 5:50:36 PM6/19/15
I should not tell this the people here in Taiwan.
They like lots of tofu.

--
Reinhardt

John Larkin

Jun 19, 2015, 5:58:12 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:28:47 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 06/19/2015 02:49 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:45:45 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
>> <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>>> Works with eggplant too!
>>
>> We don't need gene tests to see if Olympic atheletes are truly male or
>> female. Just see if they will eat eggplant.
>>

>Eggplant is okay if it's sliced _really_thin_ and fried in a hot pan.
>Real NY eggplant parm is _delicious_.

Approaching the limit of perfection at zero thickness.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jun 19, 2015, 6:55:57 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 13:13:55 -0700 (PDT), jurb...@gmail.com Gave us:

> What's more, along with salt usually, it makes the meat cook alot better.

Salt does NOT "make the meat cook a lot better". One ADDS salt AFTER
the burger is cooked, or ONTO the OUTSIDE of the patty as part of the
rub.. NEVER "mixed into the meat", as that causes a breakdown of the
cell structures and subsequent flavor release... BEFORE it is desired.

bloggs.fred...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2015, 6:57:21 PM6/19/15
On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 10:22:49 AM UTC-4, George Herold wrote:
> On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 3:41:16 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:59:51 -0400, Martin Riddle
> > <marti...@verizon.net> Gave us:

> > >Nah, but I did pickup some bison last week.
> > >
> > >Cheers
> >

> > Which is great as it is leaner than pork, beef, and even poultry and
> > fish.
>
> You don't want lean meat for a good burger.
> The more fat, the better. IMHO
> (I'm still trying to convince my wife of this,
> leaner is healthier in her book.)
> George H.

I make burgers all the time with the 93/7 meat and they come out nice and juicy. It may have to do with sprinkling the slab with salt and pepper and then adding a few tablespoons of worcestershire per pound before I form it into patties. Then I bake them in an uncovered pyrex dish at 350o for about 30 minutes.

krw

Jun 19, 2015, 7:14:33 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 21:22:42 +0800, Reinhardt Behm
<rb...@hushmail.com> wrote:

My brother had a favorite recipe for hot dogs.

1. Place hot dog on board
2. Place board directly into the fire
3. When board is well charred, scrape the contents of the board into
the fire
4. Eat the board

krw

Jun 19, 2015, 7:19:11 PM6/19/15
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:28:47 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 06/19/2015 02:49 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:45:45 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
>> <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>>> Works with eggplant too!
>>
>> We don't need gene tests to see if Olympic atheletes are truly male or
>> female. Just see if they will eat eggplant.
>>

>Eggplant is okay if it's sliced _really_thin_ and fried in a hot pan.
>Real NY eggplant parm is _delicious_.

And then it tastes like "fried".

>My wife likes it cut about 3/4 inches thick and fried that
>way...resulting texture reminds me of my sinus problems.

My wife loves it, too (I'll take the veal parm, thank you). When I
read your description, her comment was "Ew". ;-)

David Eather

Jun 19, 2015, 9:15:17 PM6/19/15
Thanks for that image :(

Clifford Heath

Jun 20, 2015, 2:58:07 AM6/20/15
On 20/06/15 06:28, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 06/19/2015 02:49 PM, John Larkin wrote:
>> We don't need gene tests to see if Olympic atheletes are truly male or
>> female. Just see if they will eat eggplant.
> Eggplant is okay if it's sliced _really_thin_ and fried in a hot pan.
> Real NY eggplant parm is _delicious_.

We put 10mm eggplant slices on the BBQ. After flipping, lay a piece of
cheddar on top to melt. Serve with sweet chilli sauce. Yum with the steak.

George Herold

Jun 22, 2015, 10:15:59 AM6/22/15
I like egg plant too.
I haven't had a good baba ghanoush since a Lebanese restaurant closed.
(Ummm,)
George H.