Solid caps can blow up?

Commander Kinsey

Aug 8, 2022, 7:54:29 PM8/8/22
I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on a graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks got damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from the board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the evaporated paint?

https://imgur.com/jYet0zF

Phil Hobbs

Aug 8, 2022, 9:14:57 PM8/8/22
Gee, you forgot to cross-post to alt.scorekeeping.idiots and
rec.games.ropeadope.

Inrush can kill any electrolytic capacitor. Some are more sensitive
than others.

Phil Hobbs

Aug 8, 2022, 9:22:15 PM8/8/22
¡Ay, caramba!

Make in England?

Commander Kinsey

Aug 8, 2022, 9:45:48 PM8/8/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 02:14:44 +0100, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on a
>> graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks got
>> damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from the
>> board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the evaporated paint?
>>
>> https://imgur.com/jYet0zF
>
> Gee, you forgot to cross-post to alt.scorekeeping.idiots and
> rec.games.ropeadope.

What?

> Inrush can kill any electrolytic capacitor. Some are more sensitive
> than others.

It wasn't inrushing at the time. The card had been running without a restart for a week or two. It's been running flat out 24/7 for the last year doing astrophysics stuff on Boinc.

I've never seen one of those break though, they're always the coloured wet electrolytics that burst at the end and leak brown fluid.

Paul

Aug 8, 2022, 9:58:00 PM8/8/22
> I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on a graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks got damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from the board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the evaporated paint?
>
> https://imgur.com/jYet0zF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_capacitor

"Polymer electrolytic capacitors are also available in a hybrid construction.
The hybrid polymer aluminium electrolytic capacitors combine a solid polymer electrolyte
with a liquid electrolyte. These types are characterized by low ESR values but have
low leakage currents and are insensitive to transients,[1] however they have a
temperature-dependent service life similar to non-solid e-caps."

It would appear, sadly, that we cannot rule out the presence of liquids
in the stupid things.

Paul

Phil Hobbs

Aug 8, 2022, 10:45:20 PM8/8/22
Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 02:14:44 +0100, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on a
>>> graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks got
>>> damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from the
>>> board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the evaporated
>>> paint?
>>>
>>> https://imgur.com/jYet0zF
>>
>> Gee, you forgot to cross-post to alt.scorekeeping.idiots and
>> rec.games.ropeadope.
>
> What?

alt.comp.os.windows666 etc aren't super related to a computer repair
problem, I wouldn't have thought.

>> Inrush can kill any electrolytic capacitor.  Some are more sensitive
>> than others.
>
> It wasn't inrushing at the time.  The card had been running without a
> restart for a week or two.  It's been running flat out 24/7 for the last
> year doing astrophysics stuff on Boinc.
>
> I've never seen one of those break though, they're always the coloured
> wet electrolytics that burst at the end and leak brown fluid.

Looks pretty wet to me. Sticking that right next to the (apparently
inadequately-sized, and certainly inadequately-vented) heat sink for the
SMPS switches isn't a recipe for long capacitor life.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 12:42:22 AM8/9/22
Can I tell from the markings which type it is?

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 12:45:26 AM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 03:45:09 +0100, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 02:14:44 +0100, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> Gee, you forgot to cross-post to alt.scorekeeping.idiots and
>>> rec.games.ropeadope.
>>
>> What?
>
> alt.comp.os.windows666 etc aren't super related to a computer repair
> problem, I wouldn't have thought.

There are computer people in there.

Why does it concern you anyway? Just hit reply.

>>> Inrush can kill any electrolytic capacitor. Some are more sensitive
>>> than others.
>>
>> It wasn't inrushing at the time. The card had been running without a
>> restart for a week or two. It's been running flat out 24/7 for the last
>> year doing astrophysics stuff on Boinc.
>>
>> I've never seen one of those break though, they're always the coloured
>> wet electrolytics that burst at the end and leak brown fluid.
>
> Looks pretty wet to me.

What do you mean? If you're talking about the mess to the right, that's actually a piece of copper track for the ground that's burnt off the paint above it.

> Sticking that right next to the (apparently
> inadequately-sized, and certainly inadequately-vented) heat sink for the
> SMPS switches isn't a recipe for long capacitor life.

Well it has to go somewhere, there's a lot of hot stuff on graphics cards. It also probably needs to be close to the other VRM stuff. Trouble is all these caps are also under the big heatsink for the main GPU which gives off up to 250W. That heatsink covers the whole card, there is nowhere cool.

John Robertson

Aug 9, 2022, 1:38:41 AM8/9/22
The caps in the photo are wet electrolytic, but dry caps can also
explode - Tantalum orange drop caps were notorious for that in 70s
equipment.

John :-#)#

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 2:17:53 AM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 06:38:29 +0100, John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com> wrote:

> On 2022/08/08 6:57 p.m., Paul wrote:
>> On 8/8/2022 7:54 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on
>>> a graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks
>>> got damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from
>>> the board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the
>>> evaporated paint?
>>>
>>> https://imgur.com/jYet0zF
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_capacitor
>>
>> "Polymer electrolytic capacitors are also available in a hybrid
>> construction.
>> The hybrid polymer aluminium electrolytic capacitors combine a
>> solid polymer electrolyte
>> with a liquid electrolyte. These types are characterized by low ESR
>> values but have
>> low leakage currents and are insensitive to transients,[1] however
>> they have a
>> temperature-dependent service life similar to non-solid e-caps."
>>
>> It would appear, sadly, that we cannot rule out the presence of liquids
>> in the stupid things.
>
> The caps in the photo are wet electrolytic, but dry caps can also
> explode - Tantalum orange drop caps were notorious for that in 70s
> equipment.

I thought the ones in the photo were dry. What makes you think they're wet? I thought the wet ones were these kind with vents:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Paul

Aug 9, 2022, 5:05:23 AM8/9/22
On 8/9/2022 2:17 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

> I thought the ones in the photo were dry.  What makes you think they're wet?  I thought the wet ones were these kind with vents:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Based on symptoms, there have been cases of capacitors
that needed vents, not getting vents. This was someones
attempt at capacitor fraud, selling cheap electrolytics
in polymer form-factor casings. (This was going on, early
in the intro of Polymer caps as a replacement for electrolytics.)

Companies do this, if they think they can't be sued.

When caps can fail on gas pressure, they have a K or an X
stamped in the metal top, to promote venting at sufficiently
high pressure. The rubber bung on the bottom can
also push out, as a relief mechanism, but is not the
preferred solution. It's better if the vent opens.

When the pH inside an electrolytic is wrong, it eats
through the K or X area and there is a stain on top.
The failed chemistry, even works without bias. The juice
can eat through in 1-2 years of sitting in the box.

*******

If intending to run a vid card at max power forever, it
pays to do a visual analysis and decide whether you want to
fit a third party cooler kit (with better surface blow-down
characteristics). In the year 2022 however, the picking are
slim, so this is no longer an option. One of the companies
good at making those, has stopped. And COVID was only one
factor in the decision. Even if you buy a water block kit, the
board might still need air cooling for the VRM section.

Paul

Aug 9, 2022, 6:04:29 AM8/9/22
On 8/8/22 16:54, Commander Kinsey wrote:
By chance, was it in backwards?

a a

Aug 9, 2022, 6:42:17 AM8/9/22
Phil,

thank you for
https://electrooptical.net/
and
https://electrooptical.net/static/media/uploads/Projects/Footprints/fpspie11.pdf
https://electrooptical.net/static/media/uploads/Projects/Footprints/2112no2x6.avi

I have built high-resolution thermal infrared imager based on night vision system ,
applying live multi-spectral image processing.

Not sure if there is an interest in high-resolution thermal infrared imaging in medicine.

Let me know your opinion

thank you

Mayayana

Aug 9, 2022, 9:07:51 AM8/9/22
"Paul" <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote

| > https://imgur.com/jYet0zF

Here's the real link without the imgur BS:
https://i.imgur.com/jYet0zF.jpg

I once had a case where one of those blew up.
I was putting in a CD player. Apparently there was
a short somewhere inside the player. I smelled electrical
fire, but before I could do anything it blew up, taking
all the components f the computer with it. Everything
got fried.

John Larkin

Aug 9, 2022, 10:15:32 AM8/9/22
Is this a gaming machine? Overclocked, overstressed, cheap, and
fundamentally useless?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Aug 9, 2022, 10:32:33 AM8/9/22
On 9/8/2022 7:54 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on a graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks got damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from the board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the evaporated paint?
>
> https://imgur.com/jYet0zF

Should have posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt?

Phil Hobbs

Aug 9, 2022, 10:45:54 AM8/9/22
Yeah, that was a great project--one of my favorite things is to do
something novel and useful with practically zero apparatus.

It was also my first actual embedded system--if you look at the war
story paper at
<https://electrooptical.net/static/oldsite/www/footprints/fpwaropn.pdf>,
you'll see why that was. ;)

> I have built high-resolution thermal infrared imager based on night
> vision system , applying live multi-spectral image processing.
>
> Not sure if there is an interest in high-resolution thermal infrared
> imaging in medicine.
>
> Let me know your opinion
>
> thank you

Not that I know of, sorry.

I had considerable interest from ARPA-E back in my early consulting days
(2009ish) for making cheap handheld thermal imagers to look for heat
leaks in buildings, but back then they didn't have any discretionary
money the way DARPA has.

Back then the Measurement Specialties Inc. engineer I worked with (Mitch
Thompson, may his tribe increase) had risen to be CTO of Tyco
Electronics, but even together we couldn't get MSI to build the films
for them--they were only interested in motion detectors.

So the Footprints technology has sat there from that day to this,
unfortunately.

Marco Moock

Aug 9, 2022, 11:56:09 AM8/9/22
Am Dienstag, 09. August 2022, um 00:54:19 Uhr schrieb Commander Kinsey:

> I didn't know solid caps could break.

Of course they can. They can also pop like normal caps.
In 2015 I tried putting water on a broken laptop motherboard just to
try out what happens - and one solid cap popped and flew through the
room.

rbowman

Aug 9, 2022, 3:09:34 PM8/9/22
Those tend to be infantile failures.

Joerg

Aug 9, 2022, 4:10:11 PM8/9/22
Regardless of how solid or less solid electrolytics are, they can and do
blow. Sometimes in a spectacular manner. As a kid I had a big one almost
the size of a coke can lift off and whizz by my right eye at less than
2" distance. It hit the ceiling and took some plaster out of it, fell
back onto the carpet and smoldered a nasty burn into that.

If the black ribbed thing is a heat sink and gets quite hot then the
placement of these caps so close to the heat sink was not a smart move
on the part of the design engineer for this board.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Bertrand Sindri

Aug 9, 2022, 4:34:58 PM8/9/22
In sci.electronics.design Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I didn't know solid caps could break.

Just about anything can be made to "blow up", provided one can find a
way to impart sufficient energy within a narrow enough time window.

> This one shorted the 12V line on a graphics card, unfortunately I
> have a 2.5kW supply,

So, one little cap, shorting, will dissapate something near, or greater
than, 2.5kW for the short time before it blows. 2.5kW of dissapation
in that tiny space is more than enough to cause significant damage,
including "blowing up".

Note - removed irrelevant windows groups from Newsgroups: header.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 4:35:47 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 10:05:16 +0100, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 8/9/2022 2:17 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>
>> I thought the ones in the photo were dry. What makes you think they're wet? I thought the wet ones were these kind with vents:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
>
> Based on symptoms, there have been cases of capacitors
> that needed vents, not getting vents. This was someones
> attempt at capacitor fraud, selling cheap electrolytics
> in polymer form-factor casings. (This was going on, early
> in the intro of Polymer caps as a replacement for electrolytics.)
>
> Companies do this, if they think they can't be sued.

Even on a decent thing like an AMD GPU?

> When caps can fail on gas pressure, they have a K or an X
> stamped in the metal top, to promote venting at sufficiently
> high pressure. The rubber bung on the bottom can
> also push out, as a relief mechanism, but is not the
> preferred solution. It's better if the vent opens.
>
> When the pH inside an electrolytic is wrong, it eats
> through the K or X area and there is a stain on top.
> The failed chemistry, even works without bias. The juice
> can eat through in 1-2 years of sitting in the box.
>
> *******
>
> If intending to run a vid card at max power forever, it
> pays to do a visual analysis and decide whether you want to
> fit a third party cooler kit (with better surface blow-down
> characteristics). In the year 2022 however, the picking are
> slim, so this is no longer an option. One of the companies
> good at making those, has stopped. And COVID was only one
> factor in the decision. Even if you buy a water block kit, the
> board might still need air cooling for the VRM section.

Most of them are not actually inside computer cases, they're sat loose on shelving, so they have a nice cool air intake. They're connected via USB extensions either to a PCI-Express slot, or a multiplexer to connect 4 into 1. It's the first time I've had a failure there. I have blown some surface mount transistors on others, on the rear (non-fanned) side, in the power regulation area.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 4:36:39 PM8/9/22
I never overclock. They're used to run science applications. Boinc - a volunteer projects to run biology, astrophysics, etc.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 4:37:09 PM8/9/22
I wasn't aware of that group.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 4:40:17 PM8/9/22
I've set fire to water. I watered a plant behind my 70s stereo amp while it was off and some got inside. Assuming it would have dried out when I used it next, I turned it on and received loud mains hum on the left, and music on the right. This was shortly followed by steam, then smoke, then flames inside the unit. About eleven components were destroyed so I gave up on it. I'm guessing mains shorted into the amp input and everything overloaded?

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 4:47:43 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 21:10:00 +0100, Joerg <ne...@analogconsultants.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/22 4:54 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on a
>> graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks got
>> damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from the
>> board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the evaporated paint?
>>
>> https://imgur.com/jYet0zF
>
> Regardless of how solid or less solid electrolytics are, they can and do
> blow. Sometimes in a spectacular manner. As a kid I had a big one almost
> the size of a coke can lift off and whizz by my right eye at less than
> 2" distance. It hit the ceiling and took some plaster out of it, fell
> back onto the carpet and smoldered a nasty burn into that.

I used to blow them up for a laugh, but outdoors. Many ended up in neighbour's gardens. The best was a 15V 53,000uF slightly bigger than a coke can cap. The bang caused ringing in my ears. There was no vent on that, until it created its own one.

You can get a nice smell off them if you blow up lots at once. I was an IT tech at a school where they were renovating and building an extension. Irish (ROFL) electricians confused the wiring colours from the old UK stuff and the new EU stuff and put 415V into a classroom instead of 240V. It was the woodwork department where they had three phase lathes, but also one phase computers, 20 per room. The power supplies in the old imacs didn't like 415V and simultaneously exploded, sending smoke everywhere. The teacher phoned me completely confused as to how so many computers would fail at the same time. The only thing that survived was a ceiling mounted projector I'd installed myself, with a surge protector plug. The plug had become a pile of molten plastic, but protected the projector. I claimed on the electrician's new for old insurance policy, got 20 brand new computers, then replaced the caps in the old ones.

> If the black ribbed thing is a heat sink and gets quite hot then the
> placement of these caps so close to the heat sink was not a smart move
> on the part of the design engineer for this board.

That's not what heats the caps. Above them (5mm away) is a 10 inch by 4 inch by 1 inch heatsink with two 80mm 5000rpm fans to cool a 250W GPU. I guess there is no cool place to put them.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 4:54:09 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 21:34:50 +0100, Bertrand Sindri <bertran...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In sci.electronics.design Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I didn't know solid caps could break.
>
> Just about anything can be made to "blow up", provided one can find a
> way to impart sufficient energy within a narrow enough time window.

It chose to do this itself.

>> This one shorted the 12V line on a graphics card, unfortunately I
>> have a 2.5kW supply,
>
> So, one little cap, shorting, will dissapate something near, or greater
> than, 2.5kW for the short time before it blows. 2.5kW of dissapation
> in that tiny space is more than enough to cause significant damage,
> including "blowing up".

I have such a large supply as I have around 12 graphics cards all running at once. Easier to have one big 12V rail.

The input to my house currently reads 243V, 26.4A.

I'm hoping to repair it....

Bertrand Sindri

Aug 9, 2022, 5:08:36 PM8/9/22
Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 21:34:50 +0100, Bertrand Sindri <bertran...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In sci.electronics.design Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> I didn't know solid caps could break.
>>
>> Just about anything can be made to "blow up", provided one can find a
>> way to impart sufficient energy within a narrow enough time window.
>
> It chose to do this itself.

It (the capacitor) made no such choice, as it lacks consciousness with
which to do so.

Instead, wear and tear, likely heat related, resulted in it eventually
shorting. And once it shorted, it then dissapated sufficient energy
within a narrow enough time window to blow up.

Aug 9, 2022, 5:42:04 PM8/9/22
True. I have seen a few make it awhile,
but it is very unusual.

I saw "16V" on the top. If it is facing
12V, then it is not much of an over rating.
But it might be facing 5V.

It could also be "poop happens".

2.KW power supply. Is he arc welding with it?

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 5:53:04 PM8/9/22
The choice then was made by the designer who cut corners and didn't care if it exploded after 10 years, since it only has a warranty for 2 or 3.

The worst one I saw was a compact fluorescent animal UV lamp from China. The capacitor burst after 3 months use. So I put in a bigger one (higher voltage and low ESD). It seems to be happy now. Still, it was £7.50 for the lamp and the proper ones from big companies are £20-£30, which I've also had fail. Again, heat. Almost an absolute lack of vents on the chassis.

Paul

Aug 9, 2022, 5:53:44 PM8/9/22

> That's not what heats the caps.  Above them (5mm away) is a
> 10 inch by 4 inch by 1 inch heatsink with two 80mm 5000rpm
> fans to cool a 250W GPU.  I guess there is no cool place to put them.

What I don't like about that area, as a co-factor, is
two connectors carrying a lot of amperes for the +12V
and the board is probably using half ounce copper.
It could be that a track traveling near the capacitor,
contributed to the local heating effects. Sometimes, the
exit area near the connectors needs via-stitching to
try to spread the current better into the departing
power tracks or power plane.

If it died purely on ripple current, you'd expect its
neighbors to be showing signs of that too.

But when everything is a blackened mess like that, it's
pretty hard to see everything. Either that black is PCB
charring, or it's chemical attack from whatever passed
as a liquid in the cap. Charred PCB might be more brownish
than black tar colored.

The pattern suggests it may have vented, down low.
Like maybe a hole burned in the cap, or the seal on
the bottom releasing under pressure.

Paul

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 6:03:01 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 22:53:36 +0100, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 8/9/2022 4:47 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>
>> That's not what heats the caps. Above them (5mm away) is a
>> 10 inch by 4 inch by 1 inch heatsink with two 80mm 5000rpm
>> fans to cool a 250W GPU. I guess there is no cool place to put them.
>
> What I don't like about that area, as a co-factor, is
> two connectors carrying a lot of amperes for the +12V
> and the board is probably using half ounce copper.
> It could be that a track traveling near the capacitor,
> contributed to the local heating effects. Sometimes, the
> exit area near the connectors needs via-stitching to
> try to spread the current better into the departing
> power tracks or power plane.

Yes, the current in those cards is absurd. Hence the use of 12V instead of the 1V for the GPU chip. Maybe they should switch to something higher than 12V?

> If it died purely on ripple current, you'd expect its
> neighbors to be showing signs of that too.

Do they show gradual signs or just a sudden pop?

> But when everything is a blackened mess like that, it's
> pretty hard to see everything. Either that black is PCB
> charring, or it's chemical attack from whatever passed
> as a liquid in the cap. Charred PCB might be more brownish
> than black tar colored.

There was a very strong smell of TCP (normally a disinfectant) when it did it. The area next to it is a copper track, now no longer attached to the board, about 1cm squared which has no sign of blue paint left above it. I assume the paint burnt off.

> The pattern suggests it may have vented, down low.
> Like maybe a hole burned in the cap, or the seal on
> the bottom releasing under pressure.

Not sure where all the carbon came from. Under the capacitor are only minor signs much came out the bottom.

Paul

Aug 9, 2022, 6:19:53 PM8/9/22
That could be a +5V shorted to +12V fault. I could
see that blowing all the +5V logic.

Paul

Paul

Aug 9, 2022, 6:48:04 PM8/9/22
When you're doing this, you can share a big supply across multiple cards.

https://lolminer.site/assets/images/mining/mining_rig_1006.jpg

The OPs setup is not neat and tidy like that.

Paul

Aug 9, 2022, 7:08:50 PM8/9/22
On 8/9/22 15:47, Paul wrote:
> When you're doing this, you can share a big supply across multiple cards.
>
> https://lolminer.site/assets/images/mining/mining_rig_1006.jpg

I have a crypto currency customer that has
one of these. A super computer using the
GPU's as parallel processors. The CPU does
hardly anything.

legg

Aug 9, 2022, 9:15:11 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 00:54:19 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
<C...@nospam.com> wrote:

>I didn't know solid caps could break. This one shorted the 12V line on a graphics card, unfortunately I have a 2.5kW supply, so the tracks got damaged somewhat, it melted the solder, and ejected itself from the board. Smelt of TCP (a disinfectant), presumably from the evaporated paint?
>
>https://imgur.com/jYet0zF

There's no evidence that the cap was the first part to fail,
or by what means.

The flammability of these parts or their contents can't be
considered as anything better than 'will not sustain open
flame' - but they'll burn if subjected to sufficient temperature
and energy, as will FR4 printed wiring.

RL

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 9:42:46 PM8/9/22
Must be better than 70s stuff, I had a stereo amp catch fire inside, and it sustained the flame for 20 seconds before I blew it out.

Brian Gregory

Aug 9, 2022, 10:07:25 PM8/9/22
Just from water?
That's hard to believe.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 11:16:03 PM8/9/22
It worked for my stereo. I guess if water conducts a bit in one part of the circuit, everything goes out of whack.

New Me

Aug 9, 2022, 11:23:15 PM8/9/22
That's hard to believe for sure. I wash my desktop's motherboard with
water every 12 months and there is no malfunction after cleaning
and drying it throughly. Machine is still as fast as it was when I
bought it 5 years ago.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 9, 2022, 11:25:32 PM8/9/22
Why on earth would you do that? Only time I've heard of water on a motherboard was when my water cooling burst, and someone who got drunk and spilt food on one.

John Larkin

Aug 10, 2022, 12:21:58 AM8/10/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 21:36:31 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
OK. That leaves overstressed, cheap, and fundamentally useless.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 1:15:44 AM8/10/22
No, because I run them at the designed clock speed and keep them well within their temperature limit.

> cheap,

They're quality cards, just older. The price of new cards is absurd.

> and fundamentally useless.

What on earth makes you say that?

rbowman

Aug 10, 2022, 1:27:35 AM8/10/22
That sounds like a poor idea unless you're using DI water. In any case I
see not reason to do so. Blowing out the dust bunnies is good enough for me.

John Larkin

Aug 10, 2022, 10:23:12 AM8/10/22
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 06:15:35 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
Why does anyone need a monster GPU? Serious scientific simulation?

99+ % of PC compute power is used for gaming and bitcoin mining.

Gaming has destroyed the brains of millions of kids. Coin mining uses
more power that many poor countries.

Ricky

Aug 10, 2022, 10:40:26 AM8/10/22
One day GPUs will run LTspice simulations so that you don't need to use a calculator to solve for resistor values.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Ken Blake

Aug 10, 2022, 10:51:53 AM8/10/22
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 04:14:44 +0100, New Me <newm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 10/08/2022 03:07, Brian Gregory wrote:

>>> Of course they can. They can also pop like normal caps.
>>> In 2015 I tried putting water on a broken laptop motherboard just to
>>> try out what happens - and one solid cap popped and flew through the
>>> room.
>>>

>> Just from water?
>> That's hard to believe.
>>
>That's hard to believe for sure. I wash my desktop's motherboard with
>water every 12 months

Why? It's not necessary. Just blow all the dust out with a can of
compressed air.That's much easier and less risky.

John Larkin

Aug 10, 2022, 10:57:29 AM8/10/22
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 07:51:48 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 04:14:44 +0100, New Me <newm...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>>> Just from water?
>>> That's hard to believe.
>>>
>>That's hard to believe for sure. I wash my desktop's motherboard with
>>water every 12 months
>
>Why? It's not necessary. Just blow all the dust out with a can of
>compressed air.That's much easier and less risky.

Or sweep it with a paint brush. Take a minute.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Aug 10, 2022, 12:11:30 PM8/10/22
You could cross-post next time. There is also sci.electronics.repair
which mnight be relevant as well.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 1:24:01 PM8/10/22
Take a 3 foot length of garden hose. Put one end in your mouth and blow sharply, while directing the other end into the computer's nooks and crannies.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 1:29:29 PM8/10/22
Yes. Enormous calculations are done by GPUs, for example the supercomputer "Summit" uses mainly GPUs:
https://insidehpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Buddy_Summit2.jpg

> 99+ % of PC compute power is used for gaming and bitcoin mining.

Not here. Bitcoin mining doesn't even pay for the electricity used.

> Gaming has destroyed the brains of millions of kids.

Absolute and utter mythical bullshit. It's actually been shown it vastly improves a lot of the brain's abilities. You've got to do a lot of thinking all at once.

> Coin mining uses more power that many poor countries.

Actually more than the Netherlands I think it is. It's utterly stupid and I can't believe the greenies haven't shut it down. I use curecoin and gridcoin, but they don't do senseless calculations, they count how much real science you've done on various projects and reward you to offset your costs.

The only thing I liked about the bitcoin idea was keeping the government out, but somehow the US government can actually tax you on Bitcoin profits?! How do they know?!

We don't need to hide from the government, we need to delete the government.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 1:30:05 PM8/10/22
You don't need a processor that can do 20 trillion calculations in a second to find a resistor value.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 1:30:37 PM8/10/22
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:51:48 +0100, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 04:14:44 +0100, New Me <newm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Just from water?
>>> That's hard to believe.
>>>
>> That's hard to believe for sure. I wash my desktop's motherboard with
>> water every 12 months
>
> Why? It's not necessary. Just blow all the dust out with a can of
> compressed air.That's much easier and less risky.

You buy air, ROTFPMSL, one born every minute. I bet you drink bottled water too.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 1:31:24 PM8/10/22
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:57:11 +0100, John Larkin <jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 07:51:48 -0700, Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 04:14:44 +0100, New Me <newm...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> That's hard to believe for sure. I wash my desktop's motherboard with
>>> water every 12 months
>>
>> Why? It's not necessary. Just blow all the dust out with a can of
>> compressed air.That's much easier and less risky.
>
> Or sweep it with a paint brush. Take a minute.

Yes, I have done that to give a GPU a good cleanout, after removing the heatsink etc. I was replacing the heat transfer compound anyway.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 1:32:10 PM8/10/22
Will do, even if just to get the OCD folk complaining crossposts are evil.

John Larkin

Aug 10, 2022, 5:19:13 PM8/10/22
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 18:29:56 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
I run sims that take 20 minutes to simulate milliseconds of real time.
I'd love LT Spice to run on a GPU, maybe 500x faster.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 6:25:46 PM8/10/22
What circuits are those? Must be something pretty complex.

> I'd love LT Spice to run on a GPU, maybe 500x faster.

Is it using multiple CPU cores? If it's a linear calculation, a GPU won't help. GPUs do thousands of things at once, but not that fast.

Just learn to write OpenCL code, how hard can it be?

I found this from 10 years ago on an LT Spice forum:

"LTspice supports multithreading using all threads(cores) of
your CPU if the circuit is large enough.
The majority of the circuits we have had in this group can't
even take advantage of 8 threads. The latest 6 core CPU from
Intel supports 12 threads (6 cores plus hyperthreading) and the
8 core CPU with 16 threads is coming soon.
This means the many cores are good for really large circuits
in the simulation for IC-designs with thousands of transistors."

Anthony William Sloman

Aug 10, 2022, 10:22:27 PM8/10/22
On Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 8:25:46 AM UTC+10, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 22:18:57 +0100, John Larkin <jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

<snip>

> >> You don't need a processor that can do 20 trillion calculations in a second to find a resistor value.
> >
> > I run sims that take 20 minutes to simulate milliseconds of real time.
>
> What circuits are those? Must be something pretty complex.

Or very quick, so you need a very small maximum step size. I've ccertainly simulated circuits that simulated that slowly.

> > I'd love LT Spice to run on a GPU, maybe 500x faster.
>
> Is it using multiple CPU cores? If it's a linear calculation, a GPU won't help. GPUs do thousands of things at once, but not that fast.
>
> Just learn to write OpenCL code, how hard can it be?

Then recode Berkely Spice in OpenCL code? It clearly wouldn't be hard, but it would be tedious.

> I found this from 10 years ago on an LT Spice forum:
>
> "LTspice supports multithreading using all threads(cores) of
> your CPU if the circuit is large enough.
> The majority of the circuits we have had in this group can't
> even take advantage of 8 threads. The latest 6 core CPU from
> Intel supports 12 threads (6 cores plus hyperthreading) and the
> 8 core CPU with 16 threads is coming soon.
> This means the many cores are good for really large circuits
> in the simulation for IC-designs with thousands of transistors."

There were some feckless optimists around then.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

rbowman

Aug 10, 2022, 11:33:06 PM8/10/22
On 08/10/2022 11:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

> Take a 3 foot length of garden hose. Put one end in your mouth and blow
> sharply, while directing the other end into the computer's nooks and
> crannies.

I'll stick with my pancake compressor and an air gun, thank you.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 10, 2022, 11:49:44 PM8/10/22
You shoot your motherboard with an air gun? I assume you're operating it without bullets or something?

It's so much easier just to blow with your own mouth.

And what the fuck is a pancake compressor? Pancakes are already flat, they don't need compressing.

rbowman

Aug 11, 2022, 11:08:55 AM8/11/22

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-tools/blow-guns/blow-gun-with-safety-tip-and-rubber-tip-63577.html

> It's so much easier just to blow with your own mouth.

Well, if your practiced with that sort of thing. Can you suck the chrome
off a trailer hitch too>

> And what the fuck is a pancake compressor? Pancakes are already flat,
> they don't need compressing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-pancake-air-compressor-57567.html?_br_psugg_q=pancake+air+compressor

Note: stuff you buy from China Freight may or may not work but those
were the first photos I came across.

The IT guy has a handy thing something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/black-metrovac-data-vac-pro-portable-vacuum-cleaner/p/1K5-0036-00001?Description=computer%20vacuum&cm_re=computer_vacuum-_-1K5-0036-00001-_-Product

but I already have a compressor and vacuum cleaner.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 11, 2022, 1:04:30 PM8/11/22
On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:08:42 +0100, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> On 08/10/2022 09:49 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> I'll stick with my pancake compressor and an air gun, thank you.
>>
>> You shoot your motherboard with an air gun? I assume you're operating
>> it without bullets or something?
>
> https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-tools/blow-guns/blow-gun-with-safety-tip-and-rubber-tip-63577.html

Ah well when you said gun I assumed you meant gun, especially being American.

>> It's so much easier just to blow with your own mouth.
>
> Well, if your practiced with that sort of thing. Can you suck the chrome
> off a trailer hitch too

Hardly the same pressure requirements.

>> And what the fuck is a pancake compressor? Pancakes are already flat,
>> they don't need compressing.
>
> https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-pancake-air-compressor-57567.html?_br_psugg_q=pancake+air+compressor

110psi? That's shit. Mine does 5000psi. It's for scuba tanks. Actually I could clean my board with a scuba tank.

> Note: stuff you buy from China Freight may or may not work but those
> were the first photos I came across.
>
> The IT guy has a handy thing something like this:
>
> https://www.newegg.com/black-metrovac-data-vac-pro-portable-vacuum-cleaner/p/1K5-0036-00001?Description=computer%20vacuum&cm_re=computer_vacuum-_-1K5-0036-00001-_-Product
>
> but I already have a compressor and vacuum cleaner.

For the motherboard, you don't need a strong blast of air, so why get any equipment out? Your mouth can blow dust for goodness sake. Do you get polishing tools out to wipe dust off your mobile phone screen?

John Larkin

Aug 11, 2022, 2:29:49 PM8/11/22
On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:32:55 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
wrote:
Compressors tend to accumulate rusty water inside.

John S

Aug 11, 2022, 2:37:54 PM8/11/22
I knew some optimists that had feckels.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 11, 2022, 2:40:42 PM8/11/22
On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:29:33 +0100, John Larkin <jjla...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:32:55 -0600, rbowman <bow...@montana.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/2022 11:23 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>>
>>> Take a 3 foot length of garden hose. Put one end in your mouth and blow
>>> sharply, while directing the other end into the computer's nooks and
>>> crannies.
>>
>> I'll stick with my pancake compressor and an air gun, thank you.
>
> Compressors tend to accumulate rusty water inside.

Mine has a filter for that, since it's for scuba tanks and you don't want water sat in those rusting them. Pretty simple, just a piece of sponge on the air line.

rbowman

Aug 11, 2022, 11:34:42 PM8/11/22
On 08/11/2022 11:04 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> 110psi? That's shit. Mine does 5000psi. It's for scuba tanks.
> Actually I could clean my board with a scuba tank.

Scuba tanks are no fun. With that compressor you could get a PCP air
rifle and really rock.

https://www.umarexusa.com/2254829

Commander Kinsey

Aug 11, 2022, 11:48:51 PM8/11/22
They refuse to ship to the UK!

And scuba tanks are great fun, especially naked.

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 12:58:30 AM8/12/22
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 04:34:31 +0100, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/11/2022 11:04 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> 110psi? That's shit. Mine does 5000psi. It's for scuba tanks.
>>> Actually I could clean my board with a scuba tank.
>>
>> Scuba tanks are no fun. With that compressor you could get a PCP air
>> rifle and really rock.
>>
>> https://www.umarexusa.com/2254829
>
> They refuse to ship to the UK!

Figures.

> And scuba tanks are great fun, especially naked.

I sometimes regret not getting into scuba. When I was a kid I snorkeled
and it was a lot of fun. Maybe it's not too late.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressionen_unter_Wasser

http://www.leni-riefenstahl.de/eng/photo/p_unter.html

"For the diving examination, her date of birth was changed from 1902 to
1922 for at her age she was not allowed to make a diving certificate."

Fortunately the US has no maximum age.

Wond

Aug 12, 2022, 10:51:24 AM8/12/22
On Mon, 08 Aug 2022 22:38:29 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

> On 2022/08/08 6:57 p.m., Paul wrote:
>>

> The caps in the photo are wet electrolytic, but dry caps can also
> explode - Tantalum orange drop caps were notorious for that in 70s
> equipment.
>
> John :-#)#

The 'orange drop' caps I knew and loved were foil/poly, not Tants.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 1:44:37 PM8/12/22
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 05:58:18 +0100, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2022 09:48 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> Scuba tanks are no fun. With that compressor you could get a PCP air
>>> rifle and really rock.
>>>
>>> https://www.umarexusa.com/2254829
>>
>> They refuse to ship to the UK!
>
> Figures.

Actually they won't ship anywhere outside the states. Surely there are other countries you can use guns?

>> And scuba tanks are great fun, especially naked.
>
> I sometimes regret not getting into scuba. When I was a kid I snorkeled
> and it was a lot of fun. Maybe it's not too late.

It's another world under there.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressionen_unter_Wasser
>
> http://www.leni-riefenstahl.de/eng/photo/p_unter.html
>
> "For the diving examination, her date of birth was changed from 1902 to
> 1922 for at her age she was not allowed to make a diving certificate."
>
> Fortunately the US has no maximum age.

No country has any age limit, young or old. That's just for the official diving groups with silly regulations. Go by yourself, that's what I do. Buy your own gear on Ebay and go where you want when you want. You don't need lessons, you just read how to do it on google. There's very little to know that isn't obvious.

Marco Moock

Aug 12, 2022, 2:20:58 PM8/12/22
Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2022, um 03:07:19 Uhr schrieb Brian Gregory:

> Just from water?
> That's hard to believe.

Yes, it was normal water, but our water here contains a lot of calcium
inside, that improves the conductivity.

Marco Moock

Aug 12, 2022, 2:22:32 PM8/12/22
Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2022, um 04:14:44 Uhr schrieb New Me:

> I wash my desktop's motherboard with water every 12 months and there
> is no malfunction after cleaning and drying it throughly.

Drying is the relevant part. Without water there can't be conductivity.
With water and minerals inside there is, but the resistance is high.

> Machine is still as fast as it was when I bought it 5 years ago.

It will not change the speed in any way, the clocks will they the same.

Marco Moock

Aug 12, 2022, 2:23:27 PM8/12/22
Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2022, um 04:25:24 Uhr schrieb Commander Kinsey:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 04:14:44 +0100, New Me <newm...@gmail.com>

> > That's hard to believe for sure. I wash my desktop's motherboard
> > with water every 12 months and there is no malfunction after
> > cleaning and drying it throughly.
>
> Why on earth would you do that? Only time I've heard of water on a
> motherboard was when my water cooling burst, and someone who got
> drunk and spilt food on one.

To clean it out from dust. I also know one guy who wash motherboards.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 3:05:32 PM8/12/22
Dust falls off things with air, you don't need water complicating matters.

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 3:16:12 PM8/12/22
Some dive shops get snarky about refilling tanks, not a problem with
your own compressor. The context there is the PCP air gun crowd that
have to sweet talk the dive shop into filling their tanks. A 5000 psi
compressor isn't cheap. There are handpumps if you want to stay fit. 100
or more strokes for 2200 psi.

Riefenstahl was in her '70s when she was certified, but since she was
born in 1902 that was also in the 1970's. Things change.

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 3:18:57 PM8/12/22
My water has all the essential minerals you could ever want. The
deposits on the car if the lawn sprinkler hits it are a bitch to remove.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 4:11:44 PM8/12/22
Yeah I think they want a certificate here in the UK aswell. Well fuck them, it's cheaper to buy a compressor anyway. It's my life I'll take my own risks and they can go shove it. And no I don't need a "buddy".

> not a problem with
> your own compressor. The context there is the PCP air gun crowd that
> have to sweet talk the dive shop into filling their tanks. A 5000 psi
> compressor isn't cheap.

Oh yes it is. If you're not in a hurry a $170 unit will fill a large scuba tank in an hour.

> There are handpumps if you want to stay fit. 100
> or more strokes for 2200 psi.

I don't think I'll try that with a scuba tank. Not unless I hired a fit young lad to do it for me.

> Riefenstahl was in her '70s when she was certified, but since she was
> born in 1902 that was also in the 1970's. Things change.

Certification is a sham. It's not rocket science to swim underwater.

Phil Hobbs

Aug 12, 2022, 4:15:04 PM8/12/22
You want to have high pressure tanks hydroed periodically--a faulty one
is no joke.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 4:21:26 PM8/12/22
Yeah right. And you should have your car serviced regularly too. I've seen pictures of tanks still in use that pass tests, covered in knocks and scrapes and rust damage on the outside, mine is in perfect condition, I'll decide when I don't think it's safe. Guess what, I shave my own face too.

Joe Gwinn

Aug 12, 2022, 4:42:19 PM8/12/22
Sure, buddy...

.<https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2011/09/12/fl-exploding-scuba-tank-death.bay-news-9>

.<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJuIwHJTCbY>

Exploding Scuba Tank in L&W Explosion Safety Box (may be a fire
extinguisher - blew at 318 Bar or a bit higher)

Joe Gwinn

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 5:04:02 PM8/12/22
Typical bullshit reporting, no information given, how old was the tank, what did it look like? I hardly doubt my one year old tnk will have problems, they're expected to last 30 years.

> .<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJuIwHJTCbY>
>
> Exploding Scuba Tank in L&W Explosion Safety Box (may be a fire
> extinguisher - blew at 318 Bar or a bit higher)
>
> Joe Gwinn

How many people die of cancer, car accidents, kidney disease, etc, etc. You can't go around worrying about everything, just go have fun for goodness sake. I'm continually amazed at the modern world, everyone has turned into big girl's blouses. Grow a pair of cohones and take some risks, it's fun!

And learn how to operate your newsreader you silly child.

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 6:21:07 PM8/12/22
> How many people die of cancer, car accidents, kidney disease, etc, etc.
> You can't go around worrying about everything, just go have fun for
> goodness sake. I'm continually amazed at the modern world, everyone has
> turned into big girl's blouses. Grow a pair of cohones and take some
> risks, it's fun!

So there you are, driving down to Mickey D's for a burger when some
drugged out psychotic bitch kills you:

https://nypost.com/2022/08/09/la-crash-suspect-nicole-linton-has-previous-accidents-report/

If I buy the farm in a 90mph motorcycle crash just put 'live free or
die' on the roadside marker.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 6:29:55 PM8/12/22
Shit happens, but it's not that likely. People fall for media hype. They see 1000 killed out of 7 billion and think that's a large number.

Peeler

Aug 12, 2022, 6:42:51 PM8/12/22
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:20:52 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> So there you are, driving down to Mickey D's for a burger when some
> drugged out psychotic bitch kills you:

So there you are, sucking off the trolling sick asshole again, you
bigmouthed verbose senile Yankietard!

--
Gossiping "lowbrowwoman" about herself:
"Usenet is my blog... I don't give a damn if anyone ever reads my posts

rbowman

Aug 12, 2022, 7:47:34 PM8/12/22
My brother-in-law got killed by lightning. Sooner or later you win the
death lottery. That said, I don't hang around on summits when I see a
t-storm moving in and I don't do wheelies in traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1YcgdZ8A0

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 8:23:30 PM8/12/22
I continued digging in my garden in a heavy rainstorm with lightning nearby every 15 seconds. I didn't have a hivis jacket on either!

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1YcgdZ8A0

Pah, nothing more than a smashed kneecap.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 9:31:01 PM8/12/22
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 01:49:15 +0100, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was a biker buried with his helmet on years ago. He was riding down I-80 during a thunderstorm. Common sense isn't.

Indeed, he'd have been much safer with the helmet off :-)

But seriously, chances are if a million people did that, only a few would die.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 10:36:48 PM8/12/22
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 02:55:18 +0100, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
> Sucks if you're one of the few.

Which is as unlikely as winning the lottery, which is why I never enter.

> That is why I always had an uneasy
> feeling about statistics particularly when it comes to safe and
> effective vaccines. Young athletes dropping dead is a very rare event.
> Nothing to see here, folks.

I haven't taken the covid one, but mainly because it's unnecessary. Most people recover just fine. Me, I never even caught it, despite taking no precautions whatsoever and mingling with many folk. My sister, her husband, and their two kids caught it, after being vaccinated. Shows you how brilliant that idea was....

Commander Kinsey

Aug 12, 2022, 11:17:28 PM8/12/22
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 04:05:31 +0100, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, August 12, 2022 at 10:01:58 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
>> On 8/12/2022 8:55 PM, rbowman wrote:
>> > Sucks if you're one of the few. That is why I always had an uneasy
>> > feeling about statistics particularly when it comes to safe and
>> > effective vaccines. Young athletes dropping dead is a very rare event.
>> > Nothing to see here, folks.
>> Wish me luck , I'm headed to Memfrica in the morning on the bike and
>> I'll be wearing a helmet ... fortunately there are no thunderstorms
>> predicted and I haven't taken the clotshot .
>> --
>> Snag
>> “Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
>> want to hear.” -George Orwell
>
> Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

That may well be true if you have a decent sense of balance. I have difficulty riding a bicycle one handed. No handed makes me fall off in 1 second. I've never tried a motorbike and I'm sure it would end badly.

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 3:33:23 AM8/13/22
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:47:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> My brother-in-law got killed by lightning. Sooner or later you win the
> death lottery.

Oh, fuck! The grandiloquent drivel starts again! <tsk>

--
Yet more of the very interesting senile blather by lowbrowwoman:
"My family loaded me into a '51 Chevy and drove from NY to Seattle and

rbowman

Aug 13, 2022, 10:57:48 AM8/13/22
The gyroscopic effect is your friend. 80 mph on a bike and you have to
work at it to do anything other than a straight line.

I had an old ten speed that I could ride one handed but both my current
bicycles are mountain bikes. Their steering geometry is twitchier than a
road bike.

Peeler

Aug 13, 2022, 11:44:52 AM8/13/22
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 08:57:36 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> The gyroscopic effect is your friend.

Your effective cocksucking makes YOU his favourite friend on ahr, gossip
girl! <BG>

--
More typical idiotic senile gossip by lowbrowwoman:
"It's been years since I've been in a fast food burger joint but I used

Jim Stewart ...

Aug 13, 2022, 3:28:13 PM8/13/22

> How many people die of cancer, car accidents, kidney disease, etc, etc.
> You can't go around worrying about everything, just go have fun for
> goodness sake.  I'm continually amazed at the modern world, everyone has
> turned into big girl's blouses.  Grow a pair of cohones and take some
> risks, it's fun!

Have I not been telling people on here to take a chance for years ?> ...

Commander Kinsey

Aug 13, 2022, 4:12:02 PM8/13/22
But what about going round corners?

> I had an old ten speed that I could ride one handed but both my current
> bicycles are mountain bikes. Their steering geometry is twitchier than a
> road bike.

I tried my friend's road bike once and couldn't get going at all, since the handlebars aren't wide enough, I can't stand those drop things, they're too narrow, not enough leverage.

Commander Kinsey

Aug 13, 2022, 4:14:00 PM8/13/22
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 13:58:34 +0100, Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's too bad. I feel like I own the world when I'm riding in the Nebraska Sandhills on a nice day.
> <https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nebraska/remote-sandhills-ne/>

That looks amazing. I'd love to go through there at twice the speed limit.

> I've had a few motorcycles but I have a trike now. It's easier for old people to maneuver.

I take it you can also take a lot more luggage to go on a long trip?

> There's a world class golf course by Mullen, NE.
> <https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/sand-hills>
> Maybe I'll ride by there someday.

I detest golf, but the courses are nice to look at.

rbowman

Aug 14, 2022, 1:22:33 AM8/14/22
Just do it. Don't think about it.

https://www.tunedtrends.com/what-is-countersteering/

Peeler

Aug 14, 2022, 4:01:44 AM8/14/22
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 23:22:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Just do it. Don't think about it.

YOUR motto is: Just say it. Don't think about it, you endlessly driveling
senile bigmouth!

Snag

Aug 14, 2022, 7:29:57 AM8/14/22
Gyroscopic Precession ...

rbowman

Aug 14, 2022, 1:26:02 PM8/14/22
You generally figure it out when you're about 10. My father would launch
me and my maroon and creme Monkey Wards 24" bike down the driveway. It
had enough slope I didn't have to pedal. Eventually I made it to the
garage and had the physics down pat.

Close to 40 years and many bikes later I took one of those MSF courses
and the instructor explained exactly what I was doing. Screwed me up for
a while. I figured you look left, you go left without thinking 'now I'll
push the left bar to the right.'

Of course if you think about what you're doing walking down the street,
you may fall on your face. Science is nice and all, as far as it goes.

Peeler

Aug 14, 2022, 1:51:41 PM8/14/22
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 11:25:49 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> You generally figure it out when you're about 10. My father would launch

Oh, NO! Now it's about his father!

<FLUSH another load of senile crap unread>
It is loading more messages.