Report of reduced order growth at TMSC in Q4

Rick C

Sep 19, 2021, 5:26:38 AM9/19/21
"Courtesy of the United Daily News (UDN), the report quotes foreign investors' fears that the order reduction might begin in the fourth quarter of this year and involve consumer electronics firms that use the Taiwanese fab's leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing nodes."

https://wccftech.com/tsmc-faces-order-cutback-from-major-5nm-and-7nm-customers-report/

So maybe the end of the semiconductor shortage is at hand?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Ed Lee

Sep 19, 2021, 11:05:42 AM9/19/21
On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 2:26:38 AM UTC-7, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> "Courtesy of the United Daily News (UDN), the report quotes foreign investors' fears that the order reduction might begin in the fourth quarter of this year and involve consumer electronics firms that use the Taiwanese fab's leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing nodes."
>
> https://wccftech.com/tsmc-faces-order-cutback-from-major-5nm-and-7nm-customers-report/
>
> So maybe the end of the semiconductor shortage is at hand?

Not really, Covid is hitting the supply chain further down the line. Wafer fab can mostly be automated, but testing and assembling chips and parts are labour intensive, mostly in S.E. Asia. I.E. watch # of Covid cases in Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippine, etc.

Rick C

Sep 19, 2021, 3:33:08 PM9/19/21
As usual, you literally don't understand the issue. Let me explain it to you like you're a 10 year old. Any shortage is because of a mismatch between supply and demand. YOU are talking about increasing SUPPLY. The ARTICLE is talking about DEMAND dropping off in the 4th quarter. That has nothing to do with wafer starts or chip assembly.

Now do you get it?

Separately I find it funny how some people scream about off topic posts, but on topic posts get largely ignored. Not sure this really is an electronics group anymore. There are only a few topics of interest in rather specialized areas of electronics that get discussed. Well, that and peanut butter cups.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Ed Lee

Sep 19, 2021, 4:33:11 PM9/19/21
On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 12:33:08 PM UTC-7, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 11:05:42 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
> > On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 2:26:38 AM UTC-7, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > "Courtesy of the United Daily News (UDN), the report quotes foreign investors' fears that the order reduction might begin in the fourth quarter of this year and involve consumer electronics firms that use the Taiwanese fab's leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing nodes."
> > >
> > > https://wccftech.com/tsmc-faces-order-cutback-from-major-5nm-and-7nm-customers-report/
> > >
> > > So maybe the end of the semiconductor shortage is at hand?
> > Not really, Covid is hitting the supply chain further down the line. Wafer fab can mostly be automated, but testing and assembling chips and parts are labour intensive, mostly in S.E. Asia. I.E. watch # of Covid cases in Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippine, etc.
> As usual, you literally don't understand the issue. Let me explain it to you like you're a 10 year old. Any shortage is because of a mismatch between supply and demand. YOU are talking about increasing SUPPLY. The ARTICLE is talking about DEMAND dropping off in the 4th quarter. That has nothing to do with wafer starts or chip assembly.
>
> Now do you get it?

Just think for a moment before you lash it out, like a 9 year old. Yes, there are huge demand, and there are large supply potential. But the middle pipe line is choked-off. This is especially true in the auto business. Auto assemblers can't get parts because the intermediate suppliers can't make the parts, without labours who are locked up at home. So, they are not ordering chips from fabs. Everything is interconnected.

Rick C

Sep 19, 2021, 5:19:22 PM9/19/21
Ok, I give up. Read the article or not.