Cold Heat (R) Soldering Irons

Mark Jones

Nov 17, 2004, 10:09:08 AM11/17/04
Perhaps you've seen ads on TV for the so-called "cold heat"
soldering iron. Cordless, tip heats and cools instantly, 1000 solders
per 4 AA batteries. But is it right-on, or a rip-off?

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4623

Jim Thompson

Nov 17, 2004, 10:36:00 AM11/17/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:09:08 -0500, Mark Jones <ab...@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

It's junk, read the reviews.

Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
when they say, "Not available in stores" :)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Joerg

Nov 17, 2004, 2:19:17 PM11/17/04
Hi Jim,

>Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
>when they say, "Not available in stores" :)

And when they say "Wait! There is more!" or "only if you call within the
next six hours". Or "with our socks you can fly to the moon".

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Active8

Nov 17, 2004, 3:36:36 PM11/17/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:19:17 GMT, Joerg wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
>>Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
>>when they say, "Not available in stores" :)
>>

> And when they say "Wait! There is more!" or "only if you call within the
> next six hours". Or "with our socks you can fly to the moon".

That's a typical sales technique. I've called days later and gotten
the "extras."
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8

Nov 17, 2004, 3:35:43 PM11/17/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:36:00 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:09:08 -0500, Mark Jones <ab...@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you've seen ads on TV for the so-called "cold heat"
>>soldering iron. Cordless, tip heats and cools instantly, 1000 solders
>>per 4 AA batteries. But is it right-on, or a rip-off?
>>
>>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4623
>
> It's junk, read the reviews.
>
> Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
> when they say, "Not available in stores" :)

A lot of that stuff that was not available in stores finds its way
there anyway.

I kinda wanna get those weed wacker blades.

Endless inkjet is another. For S&H ( they gotta meke $ somewhere) I
get the same thing the fat cunt at the state fair sells for $50. The
bad thing is that I stood right there in front of her crowd and
pointed out that the ink cartridge she claimed she could fill 8
times from one bottle appeared to have a resevoir with a capacity of
a few ccs greater than the ink bottle. She said that was
"technical".

Basic shit, right. 6th grade math. Say 2 cm X 5 cm 4 cm > 8 cc
bottle. Did that keep these fuckin' morons from plonking down their
credit card? No.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Rich Grise

Nov 17, 2004, 5:41:11 PM11/17/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:19:17 +0000, Joerg wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
>>Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
>>when they say, "Not available in stores" :)
>>

> And when they say "Wait! There is more!" or "only if you call within the
> next six hours". Or "with our socks you can fly to the moon".

And then the commercials that sound like they're all localized to
your demographic, but they say, "call that number you see on your
screen there." I guess that way they can use the same tape no matter
how many times they have to move to evade the authorities. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

Nov 17, 2004, 5:58:42 PM11/17/04

It doesn't really make any difference if you call "within the hour" -
all that does is bookend the slot so they know who gets credit for
the air time. In your case, whoever was running the spot when your
call came in got the commission. That's also why they have "operator
numbers." Come to think of it, this could also be what those dynamic
phone numbers are for.

Cheers!
Rich

Jim Yanik

Nov 17, 2004, 7:41:07 PM11/17/04
Jim Thompson <thegr...@example.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:09:08 -0500, Mark Jones <ab...@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you've seen ads on TV for the so-called "cold heat"
>>soldering iron. Cordless, tip heats and cools instantly, 1000 solders
>>per 4 AA batteries. But is it right-on, or a rip-off?
>>
>>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4623
>
> It's junk, read the reviews.
>
> Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
> when they say, "Not available in stores" :)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

A mall in my area has a "As seen on TV" store that sells all those
products. One of the local TV stations does reviews on whether they work or
not;a few actually do work!

I don't know about the soldering iron,although I've seen it in that store.

(Altamonte Springs,Fl. mall)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Jim Yanik

Nov 17, 2004, 7:44:12 PM11/17/04
Active8 <reply...@ndbbm.net> wrote in

I refilled ink cartridges on my Canon BJC-620 and a short while later,the
printhead began leaking and emptying the cartridges,and then the printhead
failed.Goodbye printer.
Also,the black ink on printouts faded to barely readable light brown even
when kept in dark conditions.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

James Meyer

Nov 17, 2004, 8:06:21 PM11/17/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:09:08 -0500, Mark Jones <ab...@127.0.0.1> wroth:

It's a tool just like a lot of other tools. If you know what it is and
how to use it properly, you'll be pleased with it like I am. If you are
clueless and expect it to do something it was never intended to do, you'll wind
up being disappointed.

The cold heat "iron" is an example of what's know as a "resistance
soldering tool". It has two carbon or graphite probes set side by side but not
touching. The probes are each connected to either end of a voltage source so
that when the probes contact a conductor together, the conductor gets hot from
the current passing through it. The conductor heats up but the graphite probes
stay relatively cool.

I was trained to use resistance soldering tweezers when I attended a
NASA hand soldering school at MIT's Lincoln Labs many years ago. Those tools
are mainly used to solder wires into multi-pin military style circular
connectors. Those connectors have hollow solder cups where the wire goes and
the pins are sometimes very close together. If you use a normal soldering iron
with a hot tip, you usually wind up melting the insulation on the already
installed wires and making a mess. With the resistance tool, only the pin
you're working on gets hot and you don't melt any insulation. Also, solder
won't stick to the graphite probes. It only goes onto the pin and wire.

The cold heat tool is powered by 4 AA batteries so the amount of heat
you get is somewhat limited. It's great for up to 22 AWG wire, somewhat usable
up to 12 gage, and useless for soldering big pieces of copper like the heatsink
tabs on TO-220 transistors. It works really well for resistor and capacitor
leads on PC boards.

There is 6 volts between the two halves of the cool heat tip. That may
or may not be a problem if you get the tip between two pins on an IC. Most ICs
will tolerate 6 volts applied almost anywhere as long as that's the only source
of power applied.

Put the tip down on the copper land area where you want a joint. Press
the button to apply current. Let the copper heat up, it does that very quickly,
and then apply the solder to the hot copper. As soon as the solder wets the
joint, release the button and you're finished.

Used properly, the cool heat tool works a treat!

Jim

Asa Cannell

Nov 17, 2004, 9:50:27 PM11/17/04
I bought one and now its sitting in a drawer and hasn't been used for
months. After I abandoned it I got a portasol butane torch that works
great and gets plenty of regular use, including heat shrinking and
blow torching.

The tip is a special material with a thin slot down the middle. The
slot is about half a mm wide. You are supposed to put the junction you
want to solder across the slot, shorting the two sides. The current
then flows from one side of the slot to the other _through_ the
junction you want to solder. The special tip material heats up real
hot with all the current flowing through it and thats what lets you
solder.

Problems I encountered:

The slot width makes it impossible to solder any small joints. Forget
smt or delicate work. This is something meant for big wires like
repairing your vacuum.

You have to maneuver the slot around on the piece you are trying to
solder until it makes sufficient contact to bridge the slot and heat
the tip up enough to melt the solder. This can be time consuming and
frustrating.

The tip material is somewhat soft and easily gets damaged, especially
while you are trying to get it into position to solder. Once you mess
up the tip, you cant get it to bridge anymore and thats the end of
that. And the tips cost about 10$ each last time I checked.

The slot is easily plugged up with flux residue, and good luck
cleaning it without damaging the soft tip material.

There are about 12V across the 'slot' so anything you short will get
12V across it at low impedance. Forget soldering closely spaced
components, the current from the soldering iron will flow where you
don't want it and hurt things.

I took mine apart to see how it worked. There is a small PCB with a
smt IC on it. The IC markings had clearly been ground off, but you
could still see the ST trademark and a few digits of the part number.
I went to ST's website and did some detective work and narrowed it
down to a few DC-DC converters. So basically you have a bunch of AA
batteries hooked up to a DC-DC to convert it to 12V, and the 'magic
tip material' does the rest.

Asa

Rich Grise

Nov 17, 2004, 10:02:33 PM11/17/04

I bought one of those re-ink kits, and took it back and got my money
back the first time I tried to use it. The ink was good ink, but it
got everywhere except inside the cartridge. It cost more to clean up
after it than to just buy a new cartridge.

Good Luck!
Rich

Rich Grise

Nov 17, 2004, 10:07:50 PM11/17/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:36:00 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:09:08 -0500, Mark Jones <ab...@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you've seen ads on TV for the so-called "cold heat"
>>soldering iron. Cordless, tip heats and cools instantly, 1000 solders
>>per 4 AA batteries. But is it right-on, or a rip-off?
>>
>>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4623
>
> It's junk, read the reviews.

Actually, I read the actual product description, and it's not junk,
it's just a pain in the ass to use. It's a resistance-soldering
tool with a pinhead sized gap. The guy didn't like it.

But I can see how you can get a lot of joints out of it, if every
joint is nothing but a DIP pin or something.

If you want a _real_ cordless iron, I've used these before and they're
really quite nice:
http://www.starkelectronic.com/whl7944.htm
- not a shill, just a satisfied user.

> Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
> when they say, "Not available in stores" :)

Caveat Emptor. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Pooh Bear

Nov 17, 2004, 10:19:54 PM11/17/04

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:09:08 -0500, Mark Jones <ab...@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you've seen ads on TV for the so-called "cold heat"
> >soldering iron. Cordless, tip heats and cools instantly, 1000 solders
> >per 4 AA batteries. But is it right-on, or a rip-off?
> >
> >http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4623
>
> It's junk, read the reviews.
>
> Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
> when they say, "Not available in stores" :)

Meaning " not available from anyone who tried it out and doesn't want
returns ".

Graham

Active8

Nov 18, 2004, 4:57:53 AM11/18/04
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:58:42 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:

> It doesn't really make any difference if you call "within the hour" -
> all that does is bookend the slot so they know who gets credit for
> the air time. In your case, whoever was running the spot when your
> call came in got the commission. That's also why they have "operator
> numbers." Come to think of it, this could also be what those dynamic
> phone numbers are for.

Ah. I forgot that trick. They do it with department numbers on the
addr, also. I've only ordered a coupla things and they weren't
overly concerned exactly when I saw the ad.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8

Nov 18, 2004, 4:59:48 AM11/18/04

I've had much better luck so far.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8

Nov 18, 2004, 5:05:01 AM11/18/04
On 18 Nov 2004 00:41:07 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

> Jim Thompson <thegr...@example.com> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:09:08 -0500, Mark Jones <ab...@127.0.0.1>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps you've seen ads on TV for the so-called "cold heat"
>>>soldering iron. Cordless, tip heats and cools instantly, 1000 solders
>>>per 4 AA batteries. But is it right-on, or a rip-off?
>>>
>>>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4623
>>
>> It's junk, read the reviews.
>>
>> Basically, anything advertised on TV is not worth buying, particularly
>> when they say, "Not available in stores" :)
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
> A mall in my area has a "As seen on TV" store that sells all those
> products. One of the local TV stations does reviews on whether they work or
> not;a few actually do work!

They were in our mall for a few weeks. They had a "well built
feeling" 4-way cig lighter splitter for $2 and some other stuff that
looked like it might work... and some snake oil.

Like those pasta pans. They work, but the bottoms of cheap aluminum
cookware warp and don't conduct heat from flattops and maybe to a
lesser extent, the old electric elements.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Jim Meyer

Nov 18, 2004, 9:14:11 AM11/18/04
acan...@wwc.com (Asa Cannell) wrote in message news:<51ca721c.04111...@posting.google.com>...

> I took mine apart to see how it worked. There is a small PCB with a
> smt IC on it. The IC markings had clearly been ground off, but you
> could still see the ST trademark and a few digits of the part number.
> I went to ST's website and did some detective work and narrowed it
> down to a few DC-DC converters. So basically you have a bunch of AA
> batteries hooked up to a DC-DC to convert it to 12V, and the 'magic
> tip material' does the rest.
>
> Asa

The tip is connected directly to a 6 volt supply (4 AA cells).
The IC is an LED driver for the white LED "work light".

My cold heat iron was sold with the Coleman, lantern fame guys,
label on it. Sears has them also.

Jim

Jim Yanik

Nov 18, 2004, 11:17:15 AM11/18/04
Active8 <reply...@ndbbm.net> wrote in

You pay your money and take your chances.
Are new printheads available for your printer,or are the PHs integral with
the ink cartridges?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Nov 18, 2004, 1:08:07 PM11/18/04
Rich Grise wrote:

Why's that? Last and only time I used one there were no problems with the
syringe and needle transfer.

Anyway, I use a cheapo laser now.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org

Rich Grise

Nov 18, 2004, 2:50:10 PM11/18/04

When I think back, I'll cop to being impatient with the thing - there
was some very dense foam right inside the little filler hole, and
I think I knew at the time that if I sat there for the rest of the
night ever-so-slowly infusing the ink, microliter by microliter by
microliter - That's when I took it back. :-)

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Grise

Nov 18, 2004, 2:52:48 PM11/18/04

The one I had didn't come with a needle - the syringe nozzle was about
3/16" diameter, like those epoxy-in-a-syringe syringes, but just the
one. I said in another post, that I knew I could have just let it sit
there and maybe fill the tank by osmosis, but I wanted to print in
less than a week's time. ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

Active8

Nov 18, 2004, 4:28:35 PM11/18/04

Integral, AFAIK. Lexmark... old HP Deskjet.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8

Nov 18, 2004, 4:29:36 PM11/18/04

You shove the syring into the foam, draw back a bit and fire. Take
little time.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Rich Grise

Nov 18, 2004, 9:23:48 PM11/18/04

Well, yabbut. I did kind of try different techniques, but each and
every one resulted in more ink on me, my clothes, the desk, the printer,
the docs, the keyboard, the mouse pad, the toilet flush lever...

I believe I am man enough to admit defeat when one is bested by a
frickin piece of frickin plastic.

Thanks,
Rich

Active8

Nov 19, 2004, 3:34:00 PM11/19/04
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:52:48 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:
<snip>

>> Why's that? Last and only time I used one there were no problems with the
>> syringe and needle transfer.
>>
> The one I had didn't come with a needle - the syringe nozzle was about
> 3/16" diameter, like those epoxy-in-a-syringe syringes, but just the
> one. I said in another post, that I knew I could have just let it sit
> there and maybe fill the tank by osmosis, but I wanted to print in
> less than a week's time. ;-)

I think someone forgot to pack the needle. Didn't the instructions
mention it?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Rich Grise

Nov 19, 2004, 9:40:36 PM11/19/04

Instructions?

;-)

Asa Cannell

Nov 19, 2004, 11:56:40 PM11/19/04
I'm sorry yes you are right. I took mine apart again today and you are
correct that the batteries are connected directly across the tip, for
6V across the slot, not 12V. And the IC does power the white LED, like
you say, not the tip. I don't know why I remembered 12V.

Asa

Active8

Nov 20, 2004, 5:34:21 AM11/20/04

Yeah man. I know.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Nov 20, 2004, 8:35:20 AM11/20/04
Active8 wrote:

If all else fails, RTFM

Rich Grise

Nov 20, 2004, 9:18:36 AM11/20/04
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:35:20 +0000, Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

> Active8 wrote:

>>>Instructions?
>>>
>>>;-)
>>

>> Yeah man. I know.
>
> If all else fails, RTFM

At that point, I wasn't able to, since it was all covered with
that danged ink! ;-)

Thanks,
Rich