high end tweezers

RichD

Feb 17, 2024, 3:51:11 PMFeb 17
I saw one those Top Ten lists, like "what every man
should carry" (which didn't include Smith & Wesson, to
its great loss of credibility)

Anywho, tweezers is on the list. And named a 'precision'
product... $40.

Do you carry a tweezer, routinely? Is any tweezer worth
that price?

Anything regarding tools is on topic for an engineering group -

--
Rich

darius

Feb 17, 2024, 4:23:46 PMFeb 17
RichD <r_dela...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anything regarding tools is on topic for an engineering group -

The advertisement discussing grooming tweezers or tool tweezers, was?
Discussing grooming tweezers then you are off-topic, if it was.

John Larkin

Feb 17, 2024, 4:52:56 PMFeb 17
Good tweezers are the curved-end needle-point types, which you
wouldn't want to carry around.

If you get a splinter, just dig it out with your Swiss Army knife.

Martin Brown

Feb 18, 2024, 8:37:22 AMFeb 18
On 17/02/2024 20:51, RichD wrote:
> I saw one those Top Ten lists, like "what every man
> should carry" (which didn't include Smith & Wesson, to
> its great loss of credibility)
>
> Anywho, tweezers is on the list. And named a 'precision'
> product... $40.
>
> Do you carry a tweezer, routinely? Is any tweezer worth
> that price?

No. A multitool and a mains testing screwdriver. The latter has saved my
bacon more than once. My first university room had a defective worn out
anglepoise lamp with a live chassis! I found it before it found me.

> Anything regarding tools is on topic for an engineering group -

Can't beat a good lump hammer.

--
Martin Brown

RichD

Feb 18, 2024, 2:50:35 PMFeb 18
On February 18, Martin Brown wrote:
>> Do you carry a tweezer, routinely? Is any tweezer worth that price?
>
> No. A multitool and a mains testing screwdriver. The latter has saved my
> bacon more than once.

What is?

--
Rich

Joe Gwinn

Feb 18, 2024, 5:48:01 PMFeb 18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:37:16 +0000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>No. A multitool and a mains testing screwdriver. The latter has saved my
>bacon more than once. My first university room had a defective worn out
>anglepoise lamp with a live chassis! I found it before it found me.

I had an old all-metal Vornado desk fan try that on me. Did get
chewed, but just enough to get my attention.

I had not heard of Anglepoise, so I looked it up. It very much
resembled the Luxo lamps that I bought in the early 1970s and still
have and use to this day.

So I wondered what the story was. It turned out that the Norwegian
lighting company Luxor bought a manufacturing licence from Anglepoise,
and slightly improved it, selling in the US and Europe. making a
goodly fortune.

.<https://design-technology.org/jacobjacobsen.htm>

This history also explains why the Luxo lamps (US arm of Luxor) were
metric, even in the 1970s, which mystified me because I didn't realize
that Luxo was from Norway - the sales literature didn't mention that.

Joe Gwinn

Phil Hobbs

Feb 18, 2024, 6:25:01 PMFeb 18
+1. I’ve had Luxo incandescent/fluorescent lamps on my desk and lab bench
for 35 years now.

These days I usually have LED bulbs in them, except when using them for
shot noise measurements.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Joe Gwinn

Feb 18, 2024, 7:11:58 PMFeb 18
Yes. They multiply in dark corners I think.

>These days I usually have LED bulbs in them, except when using them for
>shot noise measurements.

I have two of the full size 8" circle (fluorescent) with incandescent
in the center lamp units. What LED bulbs fit there.

I also have a fleet of about five Lil Luxo desk lamps that take 40S
incandescent bulbs. Any idea here? Hmm. I have some of these on a
thyristor dimmer.

Joe Gwinn

Klaus Kragelund

Feb 21, 2024, 4:45:18 AMFeb 21