Microwave oven from 110V to 220V

Ahmdsamir

Oct 9, 2002, 8:42:00 AM10/9/02
Hi there
is it ok to use a transformer to run a microwave oven originaly for
110V/60Hz , with a 220/[50Hz]?? i.e. does the mains frequency has any effect
on the operation of the microwave???

thanks
ahmdsamir

Terry

Oct 9, 2002, 9:30:38 AM10/9/02

Possibly OK; although the internal transformer will be less
efficient at 50 Hz. and so may get hotter especially with
prolonged use. I don't think it will affect the control functions
(push buttons/display etc.) if yours has that feature. What size
and type is yours?
But more to the point microwaves take a lot of power for brief
periods so a pretty big separate transformer, or something, will
be required to step down the 220 to 110!
If you use a single winding auto transformer it will have to
carry the total power required which can be anywhere from 600 to
1200 watts.
If you use a 'bucking' transformer arrangement the secondary
winding feeding the microwave and opposing the 220 volts so that
it is 'stepped down' to 110, will have to be wound with
sufficiently heavy wire to carry the total current required by
the microwave; even though in this configuration the transformer
will only have to handle half of the total power required by the
microwave. Transformers of this size are not necessarily small or
cheap!
BTW I have used a so called 500 watt transformer for some 40
years to 'step up' the local 115 volts here to operate my 230
volt UK electric drill. It weighs at least 20 pounds (10 kilos)!
Also your wiring must be done safely with proper
earthing/grounding continuously through to the microwave cabinet
and no 'funny business' about the neutral wire no being
continuous either IMO.
My suggestion is 'be careful'. DO NOT GO INSIDE THE MICROWAVE
ITSELF UNLESS YOU ARE AN ACCOMPLISHED TECHNICIAN. Very dangerous
voltages can kill and microwave radiation with the cover off is
dangerous!
After all a microwave oven is actually a high power radar
frequency transmitter in a box and can cook YOU!
Terry.
PS. But small microwaves nowadays are so cheap, here at Wal Mart,
Zellers, Future Shop or Canadian Tire, for example they can be
as low as $90 Canadian, that plus the 15% sales tax is the
equivalent of about 45 quid in the UK. About $60 US and if in
Euros is??? Anyway might be best to sell the 110 volt used for
around say 30 bucks and buy one for 220? Microwaves these days
don't need, most of the time anyway IMO, all the complicated
features of the earlier models.
Two cents from here. Terry.

Chuck Simmons

Oct 9, 2002, 10:06:34 AM10/9/02

By what enormously strange method of calculation do you get the result
that the ordinary transformer "will only have to handle half of the
total power?" Did someone change the laws of the universe while I was
sleeping?

Chuck
--
... The times have been,
That, when the brains were out,

Mr Harry

Oct 9, 2002, 10:12:40 AM10/9/02
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:42:00 +0200, "Ahmdsamir" <ahmd...@link.net> wrote:

>Hi there
>is it ok to use a transformer to run a microwave oven originaly for
>110V/60Hz , with a 220/[50Hz]?? i.e. does the mains frequency has any effect
>on the operation of the microwave???
>
>thanks
>ahmdsamir

get two marcowaves and wire them in series!

the only affect ov having 50 hertz is that youre chicken may roate more slowerly!

harry (mr)

Joe McElvenney

Oct 9, 2002, 10:27:29 AM10/9/02

And, if it has a supply-driven clock, don't set your
watch by it :-)

Cheers - Joe

Don Pearce

Oct 9, 2002, 10:29:15 AM10/9/02
wrote:

>Hi there

A new microwave is probably cheaper than a transformer.

_____________________________
Telecommunications consultant
http://www.pearce.uk.com

ro...@mauve.demon.co.uk

Oct 9, 2002, 11:17:41 AM10/9/02

http://www.cpc.co.uk/ claimed (in the leaflet they stuck through my door)
that they now have online ordering.
They do various white-good spares, and you could almost certainly obtain a
suitable transformer.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto:inqui...@i.am | Ian Stirling.
Things a surgeon should never say:

Terry

Oct 9, 2002, 12:59:34 PM10/9/02

Not an 'ordinary transformer'. But one used in what is commonly
referred to as a 'voltage bucking' arrangement' With voltage
bucking the input to a a two winding 2 to 1 transformer is the
220 volt mains; the output is 110 volts. Instead of using this
110 volts to power the microwave directly; that is the entire
load being transformed from 220 to 110 through the transformer
the 110 volt transformer output is wired so as to oppose (or go
against) the same 220 volts being presented to the input. Thus we
have 220 minus 110 volts = 110.
So, if you think about it, half of the power load of the
microwave is supplied directly (as it were) from the 220 volts
and the other half via the voltage opposing transformer. The
proviso as mentioned is that a) the transformer secondary winding
must be able to carry the total amount of current, in amps, that
flows through it.
What makes this a bit easier to understand is that we are, in
this theoretical case, dealing with exactly half the voltage. But
the idea of buck or boost applies to situations where one needs
to only slightly reduce or increase voltages etc. e.g. one can
boost up or buck down a mains supply by a few volts in order to
get a piece of equipment to operate correctly or to test that it
will continue to operate at reduced or increased voltage. Also
the insulation of the transfomer secondary must also be able to
withstand the maximum voltage impressed on it, namely 220 volts.
Have fun?

Graham Holloway

Oct 9, 2002, 1:36:02 PM10/9/02

"Terry" <tsan...@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

The buck/boost technique is useful for small changes in voltage. However,
with an output of half the input, the total power "through" the transformer
is the same as the total output power. It really is equivalent to a
centre-tapped autotransformer, which has the advantage of less insulation.

Regards

Graham Holloway
WPS Electronics

Chuck Simmons

Oct 9, 2002, 1:56:54 PM10/9/02

Sorry. I flunked necromancy, wizardry and general witchcraft when I was
in school. I didn't even pass mind reading. Damned strange I got a
degree anyway. Maybe it doesn't count because I studied mathemagic.

I happen to like science fiction, however.

Chuck Simmons

Oct 9, 2002, 4:01:39 PM10/9/02
Graham Holloway wrote:

> "Terry" <tsan...@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > By what enormously strange method of calculation do you get the result
> > > that the ordinary transformer "will only have to handle half of the
> > > total power?" Did someone change the laws of the universe while I was
> > > sleeping?
> > >
> > > Chuck

Buck/boost or whatever, the main point is that the universe is ruled by
one immutable law. And that law is TANSTAAFL.

Jerry G.

Oct 9, 2002, 4:16:04 PM10/9/02
This would not be practical. The step-up transformer would have to be
rated to atleast 1500 Watts. This is going to weigh a lot and be fairly
expensive. It may infact approach close to the cost of a new microwave
oven!

If the microwave is not marked 50/60 Hz on the back plate this may end
up being very hard on the main power transformer in the microwave oven.
It is going to probably run fairly hot, and under efficient.

You can enquire to the manufacture if they have a power transformer as a
replacement for your model that is rated for the AC mains specifications
that you plan to use it on. The cost of replacement may reach the cost
of a new oven.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"Ahmdsamir" <ahmd...@link.net> wrote in message

N. Thornton

Oct 9, 2002, 5:38:58 PM10/9/02
"Ahmdsamir" <ahmd...@link.net> wrote in message news:<ao1882$gnkrl$1...@ID-36824.news.dfncis.de>...

> Hi there

The transformer will eat 20% more magnetising current, and so overheat
faster.
The cooling fan will also run 20% slower, so your TF will overheat
readily.
The capacitor in the HV supply will pass 20% less current to the
magnetron.
The timer may run at the wrong speed, depending on what type it is.
The TT will rotate slower, which doesn't matter.

Don't bother. Actually, if youre determiined it would make more sense
to put a big bulb in series with the 120v transformer, and run the
little control board off a small 120v transformer. Bodges like that do
work. You dont mind 1000 watts of lighting sitting on your microwave
and going on and off while you defrost, do you? Lol. OK, you could use
a heater :)

Regards, NT

Phil Allison

Oct 9, 2002, 6:02:39 PM10/9/02

"N. Thornton" <big...@meeow.co.uk> wrote in message

> The transformer will eat 20% more magnetising current, and so overheat
> faster.

** Not so, it will be much more than 20% since magnetising current
increases more or less exponentially with applied voltage once the
saturation limit is reached for a given tranny.

IME microwave oven trannies are on or over that limit normally.

The magetising current increase resulting from a reduction of
frequency from 60 to 50 Hz is the same as that produced by an incresse in
applied voltage by the same ratio - ie 20% - or lookig at it another way
operating the oven at 144 volts at 60 Hz.

Regards, Phil

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 9, 2002, 6:35:01 PM10/9/02
Three things:

Control power transformer.
HV power transformer.
Line frequency clock.

As noted here and in other postings, it really isn't worth it unless
this is a really gold plated microwave. Sell it and use the proceeds
towards the cost of a replacement at your new location.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Terry

Oct 9, 2002, 11:35:33 PM10/9/02
Chuck Simmons wrote:

> Sorry. I flunked necromancy, wizardry and general witchcraft when I was
> in school. I didn't even pass mind reading. Damned strange I got a
> degree anyway. Maybe it doesn't count because I studied mathemagic.
>
> I happen to like science fiction, however.

Was it Chuck, by any chance an engineering degree? Curious! Terry

Chuck Simmons

Oct 10, 2002, 12:52:17 AM10/10/02

No, it wasn't. I've never been entirely conventional. Too boring.

N. Thornton

Oct 10, 2002, 6:09:24 AM10/10/02
"Phil Allison" <bi...@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<DA1p9.49595$g9.1...@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...

Good point Phil. Add the fan running 20% slower into the mix. Bear in
mind that wicrowave trannies even in normal use overheat in 15
minutes... as well as your point that they're already saturating...
and on 50Hz you'll have a real mess!

Regards, NT

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 10, 2002, 8:02:30 AM10/10/02
big...@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) writes:

> "Phil Allison" <bi...@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<DA1p9.49595$g9.1...@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...

> Good point Phil. Add the fan running 20% slower into the mix. Bear in

> mind that wicrowave trannies even in normal use overheat in 15
> minutes... as well as your point that they're already saturating...
> and on 50Hz you'll have a real mess!

The cooling fan uses a squirrel cage motor which have a lot of
slip. While the field will rotate at 5/6ths the speed, there will
be more current through the windings. So I wonder if the speed will
really be 5/6ths of that on 60 Hz or somewhere in between?

Terry

Oct 10, 2002, 9:18:58 AM10/10/02
Chuck Simmons wrote:

> Terry had written: About the (theoretical) possibility of using voltage bucking/opposing transfomers to > power a 115 volt microwave from 230 volts!

> > Then Chuck Simmons wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry. I flunked necromancy, wizardry and general witchcraft when I was
> > > in school. I didn't even pass mind reading. Damned strange I got a
> > > degree anyway. Maybe it doesn't count because I studied mathemagic.
> > >
> > > I happen to like science fiction, however.
> >
> > Was it Chuck, by any chance an engineering degree? Curious! Terry
>
> No, it wasn't. I've never been entirely conventional. Too boring.
>
> Chuck

Ah! Thanks for the reply. Probably was a degree in
'Communications' then?
My best regards. Terry.
PS. BTW Much enjoy and appreciate your ideas/time and suggestions
to my direct emails with you concerning my second item of of
'Crazy electrical wizardry' (The 345 volt fluorescents to be
operated on 115 volts etc. and too long to be cross posted to all
these groups). Trust you do also?

Chuck Simmons

Oct 10, 2002, 9:44:01 AM10/10/02
Terry wrote:

> Chuck Simmons wrote:
> >
> > Terry had written: About the (theoretical) possibility of using voltage bucking/opposing transfomers to > power a 115 volt microwave from 230 volts!

> > > Was it Chuck, by any chance an engineering degree? Curious! Terry
> >
> > No, it wasn't. I've never been entirely conventional. Too boring.
> >
> > Chuck
>
> Ah! Thanks for the reply. Probably was a degree in
> 'Communications' then?

No. The diploma is a little noncommittal because of an old tradition of
naming only the college as the subject area. Thus the degree is in
liberal arts. I did mathematics and physics, however.

jakdedert

Oct 10, 2002, 11:46:19 AM10/10/02
Not to mention the cost of shipping a microwave across the ocean...unless
you can get your government to do it for you (military dependant).

Get rid of it...get one locally; much less trouble...absolutely a
no-brainer.

jak

"Don Pearce" <donald...@pearce.uk.com> wrote in message

Tony Williams

Oct 10, 2002, 12:06:59 PM10/10/02
In article <6w3creb...@saul.cis.upenn.edu>,
Sam Goldwasser <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

> The cooling fan uses a squirrel cage motor which have a lot of
> slip. While the field will rotate at 5/6ths the speed, there will
> be more current through the windings. So I wonder if the speed will
> really be 5/6ths of that on 60 Hz or somewhere in between?

I have a vague memory of 60Hz motors running at 50Hz but
at nominal voltage being a fire hazard. I think to do
with imported refrigerators, about 10 years ago in the UK.
A 110V/60Hz motor should be run at 5/6th of 110V at 50Hz,
about 92V.

--
Tony Williams.

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 10, 2002, 12:39:22 PM10/10/02
Tony Williams <to...@ledelec.demon.co.uk> writes:

That certainly applies to normal split phase/capactor run/etc. induction
motors but I am wondering about shaded pole types like those in fans.
They are often already impedance protected against stalling and have
huge slip when running.

Frank Bemelman

Oct 10, 2002, 12:40:25 PM10/10/02

"Tony Williams" <to...@ledelec.demon.co.uk> schreef in bericht

Fire Hazard, that would defeat the purpose of a refrigerator ;)

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman

Mark Zenier

Oct 9, 2002, 5:48:44 PM10/9/02
In article <ao1882$gnkrl$1...@ID-36824.news.dfncis.de>,

Yea, it could, (they're about the only thing left these days that cares
about the line frequency), unless it's a really new one with a switching
power supply.

Cheap microwaves are value engineered down to the minimum necessary so
the transformer might saturate at 50 Hz. The transformer may heat up or
the fuse may blow. Also, most of them use a half wave doubler where the
value of the high voltage capacitor limits the power to the magnetron.
In the this case, the unit will run at lower than the rated power.

Look at the nameplate. (The old Sharp in my kitchen only has
"60 Hz", not 50-60 Hz).

Mark Zenier mze...@eskimo.com Washington State resident

laurence cope

Oct 10, 2002, 2:24:39 PM10/10/02
oh and dont forget you will probably get a very poor power factor through
the step down transformer aswell, just watch that meter spin.

"Chuck Simmons" <chr...@webaccess.net> wrote in message

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 10, 2002, 4:02:50 PM10/10/02
"laurence cope" <lauren...@btopenworld.com> writes:

> oh and dont forget you will probably get a very poor power factor through
> the step down transformer aswell, just watch that meter spin.

We back on that thread? PF won't directly affect how your power meter
runs. :)

Tom MacIntyre

Oct 10, 2002, 5:39:45 PM10/10/02
On 10 Oct 2002 16:02:50 -0400, Sam Goldwasser <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu>
wrote:

>"laurence cope" <lauren...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
>> oh and dont forget you will probably get a very poor power factor through
>> the step down transformer aswell, just watch that meter spin.
>
>We back on that thread? PF won't directly affect how your power meter
>runs. :)

No, no, no...flashbacks...aagh...my meds...where are my meds!??! :-)

Tom

Phil Allison

Oct 10, 2002, 8:28:18 PM10/10/02

"laurence cope" <lauren...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> oh and dont forget you will probably get a very poor power factor through
> the step down transformer aswell, just watch that meter spin.

** Why so ? Do you think there will be some big phase angle
introduced by the transformer ? If so I think you are mistaken.

Regards, Phil

Ed Beroset

Oct 10, 2002, 10:39:25 PM10/10/02
Sam Goldwasser <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

>"laurence cope" <lauren...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
>> oh and dont forget you will probably get a very poor power factor through
>> the step down transformer aswell, just watch that meter spin.
>
>We back on that thread? PF won't directly affect how your power meter
>runs. :)

FWIW, newer electronic meters can and do measure power factor, so
while the simple electromechanical meters typically used in
residential applications won't be affected, electronic meters are able
to measure PF and some utilities charge based on PF -- typically not a
consideration for residential user, howewver.

Ed

Tony Williams

Oct 11, 2002, 6:01:10 AM10/11/02
In article <6wwuoq9...@saul.cis.upenn.edu>,
Sam Goldwasser <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

> That certainly applies to normal split phase/capactor run/etc. induction
> motors but I am wondering about shaded pole types like those in fans.
> They are often already impedance protected against stalling and have
> huge slip when running.

Fans of that type will run warmer because the
stator is running at 6/5 times nominal voltage.
Most fans won't care, but some may have been
running too near Bsat at the original 110V/60Hz.

If it is not saturating, the increased stator
current should increase the flux density in the
gap between stator and rotor, so the torque will
increase, reducing the percentage Slip. But 50Hz
Synchronous speed is 5/6 (83%).... so the final
fan performance is probably "slightly warmer, and
running at 85% to 90% of the speed at 60Hz".

--
Tony Williams.

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 11, 2002, 8:10:10 AM10/11/02
ber...@mindspring.com (Ed Beroset) writes:

> FWIW, newer electronic meters can and do measure power factor, so
> while the simple electromechanical meters typically used in
> residential applications won't be affected, electronic meters are able
> to measure PF and some utilities charge based on PF -- typically not a
> consideration for residential user, howewver.

I believe it's the law in the U.S. that power meters must measure true power
for residential customers. The old power meters don't measure true power
because of some inability to do so, they were (very cleverly) designed that
way. :)

Now, let's have this thread die!

Don Pearce

Oct 11, 2002, 8:20:35 AM10/11/02
On 11 Oct 2002 08:10:10 -0400, Sam Goldwasser <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu>
wrote:

>ber...@mindspring.com (Ed Beroset) writes:

Are you the moderator, or do you just like to have the last word with
some nonsensical piece of crap?

Chuck Simmons

Oct 11, 2002, 8:37:08 AM10/11/02
Sam Goldwasser wrote:

> ber...@mindspring.com (Ed Beroset) writes:
>
> > FWIW, newer electronic meters can and do measure power factor, so
> > while the simple electromechanical meters typically used in
> > residential applications won't be affected, electronic meters are able
> > to measure PF and some utilities charge based on PF -- typically not a
> > consideration for residential user, howewver.
>
> I believe it's the law in the U.S. that power meters must measure true power
> for residential customers. The old power meters don't measure true power
> because of some inability to do so, they were (very cleverly) designed that
> way. :)

How old? The customer meters in use by most utilities in the US for more
than 50 years have measured true power-hours. In fact, exactly the same
type of meter is in use today. If I remember correctly, it has a voltage
coil, a current coil and an aluminum disk that rotates due to fields
from eddy currents induced in the aluminum disk. I studied this sort of
meter in high school in the late 1950s.

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 11, 2002, 2:17:34 PM10/11/02
Chuck Simmons <chr...@webaccess.net> writes:

> Sam Goldwasser wrote:
> >
> > ber...@mindspring.com (Ed Beroset) writes:
> >
> > > FWIW, newer electronic meters can and do measure power factor, so
> > > while the simple electromechanical meters typically used in
> > > residential applications won't be affected, electronic meters are able
> > > to measure PF and some utilities charge based on PF -- typically not a
> > > consideration for residential user, howewver.
> >
> > I believe it's the law in the U.S. that power meters must measure true power
> > for residential customers. The old power meters don't measure true power
> > because of some inability to do so, they were (very cleverly) designed that
> > way. :)
>
> How old? The customer meters in use by most utilities in the US for more
> than 50 years have measured true power-hours. In fact, exactly the same
> type of meter is in use today. If I remember correctly, it has a voltage
> coil, a current coil and an aluminum disk that rotates due to fields
> from eddy currents induced in the aluminum disk. I studied this sort of
> meter in high school in the late 1950s.

Exactly. By old I just meant not the fancy electronic ones being referred
to in the prior post.

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 11, 2002, 2:22:17 PM10/11/02
Don Pearce <donald...@pearce.uk.com> writes:

> On 11 Oct 2002 08:10:10 -0400, Sam Goldwasser <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu>
> wrote:

> >Now, let's have this thread die!

> Are you the moderator, or do you just like to have the last word with

> some nonsensical piece of crap?

I think that 99% of the regulars on this NG will agree wholeheartedly with
my comments. :)

Chuck Simmons

Oct 11, 2002, 8:28:21 PM10/11/02
Sam Goldwasser wrote:

> Chuck Simmons <chr...@webaccess.net> writes:
>
> > Sam Goldwasser wrote:

> > > I believe it's the law in the U.S. that power meters must measure true power
> > > for residential customers. The old power meters don't measure true power
> > > because of some inability to do so, they were (very cleverly) designed that
> > > way. :)
> >
> > How old? The customer meters in use by most utilities in the US for more
> > than 50 years have measured true power-hours. In fact, exactly the same
> > type of meter is in use today. If I remember correctly, it has a voltage
> > coil, a current coil and an aluminum disk that rotates due to fields
> > from eddy currents induced in the aluminum disk. I studied this sort of
> > meter in high school in the late 1950s.
>
> Exactly. By old I just meant not the fancy electronic ones being referred
> to in the prior post.

You miss my point. The old Ferraris type electromechanical kilowatt hour
meter is unaffected by power factor. In at least 40 years I have seen no
other type. Even new installations use the Ferraris type because they
indicate true power economically. If there is a PF penalty to be
applied, the Ferraris meter reads correct power and a KVA meter is used
to determine the penalty. In residential areas of the US that have high
power factor due to air conditioning and the like, the utility adds
capacitor banks for correction. The Ferraris meters read the same either
way. I suspect that you have to go back more than 50 years to find a
kilowatt hour meter that is affected by power factor in use by US
utilities.

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 11, 2002, 8:41:05 PM10/11/02
Chuck Simmons <chr...@webaccess.net> writes:

> You miss my point. The old Ferraris type electromechanical kilowatt hour
> meter is unaffected by power factor. In at least 40 years I have seen no
> other type. Even new installations use the Ferraris type because they
> indicate true power economically. If there is a PF penalty to be
> applied, the Ferraris meter reads correct power and a KVA meter is used
> to determine the penalty. In residential areas of the US that have high
> power factor due to air conditioning and the like, the utility adds
> capacitor banks for correction. The Ferraris meters read the same either
> way. I suspect that you have to go back more than 50 years to find a
> kilowatt hour meter that is affected by power factor in use by US
> utilities.

I guess I am missing your point because as far as I can tell, we agree on
everything. All I am saying is that these power meters do not measure true
power by some accident (violation of Murphy's law!), they were designed to
work that way. It's very clever and as you say, economical. If a newly
minted EE were asked to design a modern replacement, it would likely use
voltage and current sensing, analog to digital conversion, a microprocessor
to calculate power, and end up not being as accurate!

Chuck Simmons

Oct 11, 2002, 9:06:12 PM10/11/02
Sam Goldwasser wrote:

> Chuck Simmons <chr...@webaccess.net> writes:
>
> > You miss my point. The old Ferraris type electromechanical kilowatt hour
> > meter is unaffected by power factor. In at least 40 years I have seen no
> > other type. Even new installations use the Ferraris type because they
> > indicate true power economically. If there is a PF penalty to be
> > applied, the Ferraris meter reads correct power and a KVA meter is used
> > to determine the penalty. In residential areas of the US that have high
> > power factor due to air conditioning and the like, the utility adds
> > capacitor banks for correction. The Ferraris meters read the same either
> > way. I suspect that you have to go back more than 50 years to find a
> > kilowatt hour meter that is affected by power factor in use by US
> > utilities.
>
> I guess I am missing your point because as far as I can tell, we agree on
> everything. All I am saying is that these power meters do not measure true
> power by some accident (violation of Murphy's law!), they were designed to
> work that way. It's very clever and as you say, economical. If a newly
> minted EE were asked to design a modern replacement, it would likely use
> voltage and current sensing, analog to digital conversion, a microprocessor
> to calculate power, and end up not being as accurate!

Very sorry. Several times in these groups I have seen statements to the
effect that kilowatt hour meters of traditional type do not indicate
true power but rather apparent power such as you would get with a
voltmeter and an ammeter. I incorrectly attributed this to you. You said
it right all along correcting some reference to a more rapidly spinning
meter or some such. I should read more carefully early in the morning.

And indeed the Ferraris type meter is very clever being an integrating
true power meter of very simple construction. One of its virtues in some
power systems is that it is reversible - that is, it "knows" which
direction power is going.

Phil Allison

Oct 11, 2002, 9:25:13 PM10/11/02

"Sam Goldwasser" <s...@saul.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in message

All I am saying is that these power meters do not measure true
> power by some accident (violation of Murphy's law!), they were designed to
> work that way.

** I had to read the above sentence many times to extract the intended
meaning. It contains a disguised double negative.

If the word "some" is changed to "mere" then the ambiguity vanishes,
I think.

Regards, Phil

Al Hephy

Oct 12, 2002, 9:03:10 AM10/12/02
Don't fight guys... Those 'power meters' actually measure current.
During "brownouts" the power company screws you royally.
Regards, Al

Sam Goldwasser

Oct 12, 2002, 9:13:39 AM10/12/02
"Al Hephy" <AHe...@freewweb.invalid> writes:

> Don't fight guys... Those 'power meters' actually measure current.
> During "brownouts" the power company screws you royally.
> Regards, Al

I assume you left out the :). :)

Chuck Simmons

Oct 12, 2002, 9:15:45 AM10/12/02
Al Hephy wrote:

> Don't fight guys... Those 'power meters' actually measure current.
> During "brownouts" the power company screws you royally.
> Regards, Al

Well, chalk up another one who hasn't a clue about kilowatt hour meters
and how they work.

Chuck

Michael A. Terrell

Oct 12, 2002, 10:32:10 AM10/12/02
Chuck Simmons wrote:

> Al Hephy wrote:
> >
> > Don't fight guys... Those 'power meters' actually measure current.
> > During "brownouts" the power company screws you royally.
> > Regards, Al
>
> Well, chalk up another one who hasn't a clue about kilowatt hour meters
> and how they work.
>
> Chuck

Perhaps the light bulb over his head is burnt out?
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Tom MacIntyre

Oct 12, 2002, 1:03:01 PM10/12/02
On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:32:10 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<ter...@mfi.net> wrote:

>Chuck Simmons wrote:
>>
>> Al Hephy wrote:
>> >
>> > Don't fight guys... Those 'power meters' actually measure current.
>> > During "brownouts" the power company screws you royally.
>> > Regards, Al
>>
>> Well, chalk up another one who hasn't a clue about kilowatt hour meters
>> and how they work.
>>
>> Chuck
>

> Perhaps the light bulb over his head is burnt out?

Man, this topic is like religion and politics...hot!! :-)

Tom

Michael A. Terrell

Oct 12, 2002, 1:57:35 PM10/12/02

Do you mean like in the old Jerry Reed song, "When you're hot, you're
hot"?

I have met a number of people who not only had a light burnt out, the
socket was damaged, too. I thank God that they don't try to practice
circuit design.

massa...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2020, 9:40:00 AM7/6/20
The control board transfermer

massa...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2020, 9:40:37 AM7/6/20
Sharp carousel microwave 110v transformer for the control board