ExpressPCB -- can't make custom holes?

Mike V.

Nov 16, 2004, 5:16:50 PM11/16/04
Am i stuck with the hole/via/pad offerings in ExpressPCB's library?

I want to make an oval hole, but don't know if it's possible, since i
can only use a pull-down menu to modify hole/via/pad sizes.

Thanks,
Mike

John Fields

Nov 16, 2004, 5:36:32 PM11/16/04

---
You might be able get it done using a telephone.

Or email, even.

--
John Fields

Tim Wescott

Nov 16, 2004, 5:47:56 PM11/16/04
John Fields wrote:

The fast-turn economical PCB houses make it work by having a fixed set
of drills that they use for _everything_, so they don't have to change
setups.

If you want something outside of what they provide you need to take it
to a PCB house that can accommodate such things. They'll do a setup
just for you instead of automagically putting your board on a panel with
everyone else's, so you'll get just what you want, it'll take longer,
it'll cost much more for just a few boards, but it'll cost much less for
a whole bunch.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Peter Bennett

Nov 16, 2004, 6:09:08 PM11/16/04
On 16 Nov 2004 14:16:50 -0800, vale...@yahoo.com (Mike V.) wrote:

Oval drill bits are a bit hard to find....

You will have to talk to your board shop to determine if they can do
what you want, and how they want it documented.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Active8

Nov 16, 2004, 6:23:54 PM11/16/04

What he wants is a routing operation - I can't imagine wanting an
oval component lead hole although I could see a punched slot for a
mounting tab, shield, etc. Not sure if Express does all that.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Frank Bemelman

Nov 16, 2004, 6:28:01 PM11/16/04
"Mike V." <vale...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

> Am i stuck with the hole/via/pad offerings in ExpressPCB's library?
>
> I want to make an oval hole, but don't know if it's possible, since i
> can only use a pull-down menu to modify hole/via/pad sizes.

Oval holes, slots, giant holes, they are often made by a router
bit. Draw these holes on the layer you also use for the outline
of the board, using a 10 mil track or something. The router bit
is typically 2mm diameter, so you can't make smaller holes than
2mm. For oval holes, you have to use a 'circle' with different
x and y dimensions - don't know if ExpressPCB can do that. If not
you have to draw it using many small straight tracks. Then tell
your board manufacturer there are some special holes on that
layer, and they will sort it out. If they don't offer router
service on prototypes, draw the holes as copper tracks, so you
can drill/file them yourself.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Tim Wescott

Nov 16, 2004, 6:39:39 PM11/16/04
Active8 wrote:

> What he wants is a routing operation - I can't imagine wanting an
> oval component lead hole although I could see a punched slot for a
> mounting tab, shield, etc. Not sure if Express does all that.

ExpressPCB (http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/SpecsStandard.htm)
says: "Routing slots or holes in the interior of the board are not
offered."

We're talking about a board house that only lets you use _their own
software_, and won't even take Gerbers fer cryin' out loud!

PCB Express (http://www.pcbexpress.com/ -- similar name, different
place) offers essentially the same service with the same restrictions
but at least you can send them Gerbers -- and they have a "production"
shop down the road that can do larger boards and fancy things like slots.

BEVERNON

Nov 17, 2004, 5:30:48 PM11/17/04
>Subject: ExpressPCB -- can't make custom holes?
>From: vale...@yahoo.com (Mike V.)
>Date: 11/16/04 5:16 PM Eastern Standard Time

You get what you pay for..... sorry to be blunt. There is other free software
out there that is more complete, but they have problems of their own.
Brad