Global warming saves EIGHT TIMES as many lives as it takes

Flyguy

Sep 16, 2021, 11:51:20 AM9/16/21
From today's Wall Street Journal:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-change-heat-cold-deaths-medical-journal-health-risk-energy-cost-fossil-fuels-11631741045?mod=hp_opin_pos_5#cxrecs_s

In their call for “emergency action” on climate change last week, editors of the world’s leading medical journals relied in large part on a misleading claim that heat deaths are rising rapidly.

Global warming does cause more heat deaths, but the editors’ statistic is deceptive. They say global heat deaths have gone up by 54% among old people in the past 20 years, but they fail to mention that the number of old people has risen by almost as much. Demographics drove most of the rise, not climate change.

They also leave out that climate change has saved more lives from temperature-related deaths than it has taken. Heat deaths make up about 1% of global fatalities a year—almost 600,000 deaths—but cold kills eight times as many people, totaling 4.5 million deaths annually. As temperatures have risen since 2000, heat deaths have increased 0.21%, while cold deaths have dropped 0.51%. Today about 116,000 more people die from heat each year, but 283,000 fewer die from cold. Global warming now prevents more than 166,000 temperature-related fatalities annually.

Heat is typically easier to mitigate than cold. Heat advisories, drinking fluids and access to shaded, cooler areas help protect people from the hottest days of the year. Heat deaths in rich countries have generally declined in recent decades because of air conditioning.

Cold is much harder to deal with. Heating a home well all through the winter can be prohibitively expensive for poorer households, even in developed nations. Fracking drove down American natural gas prices. One study estimates that the resulting cheaper heat saved more than 11,000 lives annually by 2010.

The best way to protect people from heat or cold is access to plentiful, cheap energy, though that often means fossil fuels. Funny, that didn’t make it into the editors’ recommendations.

bitrex

Sep 16, 2021, 11:58:52 AM9/16/21
Watching wingnuts slide goalposts harder than Bill Clinton trying to
destroy America is always good for a chuckle. "It's not true." "Ok, IF
it were true, it's not that bad..."

Fred Bloggs

Sep 16, 2021, 12:15:11 PM9/16/21
We don't adjust global climate change policy on the basis very shady statistics from the margins of society. Most cold deaths are probably from drunken Russians and Ukrainians falling asleep on the sidewalk before they could make it home. Ukraine has life expectancy of 65 years because of all the drinking they do.

jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com

Sep 16, 2021, 12:25:47 PM9/16/21
The next ice age will wipe out a majority of life on earth. Even
another LIA would be terrible.

--

Father Brown's figure remained quite dark and still;
but in that instant he had lost his head. His head was

DecadentLinux...@decadence.org

Sep 16, 2021, 1:59:28 PM9/16/21
Flyguy <soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:47039ca9-aff3-4672-85ec-
5b13c3...@googlegroups.com:

> In their call for

Damn! You TrumpTards are stupid!

DecadentLinux...@decadence.org

Sep 16, 2021, 2:01:38 PM9/16/21
jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

> The next ice age will wipe out a majority of life on earth. Even
> another LIA would be terrible.

The next ice age, the planet will stay frozen.

We won't get there. Yellowstone will explode and kill us all that
way. It is only a few HUNDRED THOUSAND years overdue.

Rob

Sep 16, 2021, 2:18:07 PM9/16/21
jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com <jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com> wrote:
> The next ice age will wipe out a majority of life on earth. Even
> another LIA would be terrible.

Not even mentioning the next coronal mass ejection towards earth...

Corvid

Sep 16, 2021, 3:20:16 PM9/16/21
On 9/16/21 8:51 AM, Flyguy wrote:
> Heat deaths in rich countries have generally declined in recent
> decades because of air conditioning.

How wonderful for them!

> Cold is much harder to deal with. Heating a home well all through the
> winter can be prohibitively expensive for poorer households, even in
> developed nations.

But, to be clear, those poorer households DO stay comfortably cool all
through the summer because of air conditioning? Did your story miss that?

Flyguy

Sep 16, 2021, 8:44:55 PM9/16/21
Look in the mirror: YOU ARE the "wingnut" as in LEFT wingnut. Libtards can't - and WON'T - deal with the facts.

Flyguy

Sep 16, 2021, 8:48:47 PM9/16/21
The "story" wasn't about being "comfortable" - it is about DYING. If you are in freezing temperatures you are in danger of freezing to death; being too hot can be very uncomfortable, but EIGHT TIMES less likely to die.

Corvid

Sep 17, 2021, 12:27:24 AM9/17/21
I can't read that OPINION/COMMENTARY authored by the non-scientist
without being a subscriber, but I'll trust that it says what you posted.

"Today about 116,000 more people die from heat each year, but 283,000
fewer die from cold."

Do those numbers mean what your subject line claims?

Corvid

Sep 17, 2021, 1:42:25 AM9/17/21
And look at the graph.
https://images.wsj.net/im-401767?width=860&size=1.5347721822541966

Fifty years from now, cold deaths might even reach ZERO! That's where
they have to stop.
But heat deaths will keep on climbing.

There will be a Sweet Spot sometime before the green and red lines
cross. Will we stop global warming without passing it??
We won't be able to go back.

Anthony William Sloman

Sep 17, 2021, 3:19:01 AM9/17/21
The best way to protect people against heat or cold is better insulated houses. It's a lot cheaper to heat or cool a properly insulated house.

It is more expensive to build them with proper insulation, but the investment pays off rapidly. The trouble is that the builder has to put the money in up front, and the average buyer prefers a bigger house to a well-insulated one. Builders lobby furiously against housing regulations that force them to put in adequate insulation.

At present solar-cells generate the cheapest power available, so the argument for digging up even more fossil carbon isn't strong.

Flyguy isn't very bright so he does seem to have missed this.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Anthony William Sloman

Sep 17, 2021, 3:30:42 AM9/17/21
On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 2:25:47 AM UTC+10, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 08:51:16 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy <soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> The next ice age will wipe out a majority of life on earth.

None of the previous ones have. We evolved during the last ice age.
But we've dug up and burnt enough fossil carbon to be sure that we wont have another ice age for about 40,000 years.

> Even another LIA would be terrible.

If we keep on burning fossil carbon, we've got a good chance of getting the Greenland ice sheet to slide off into the Atlantic, and stopping the Gulf Stream and provoking a re-run of the Younger Dryas. That would make the little ice age look like a walk in the park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

If we leave some fossil carbon in the ground, we could use it to avert the next ice age before it actually got under way, though we'd probably have other options by then.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

bitrex

Sep 17, 2021, 9:24:39 AM9/17/21
Fact is the only reason no-talent hacks like you, who in all probability
have never earned a single dime designing electronics in any independent
capacity, end up here is because you got ran out of of everywhere else
for being too big of a pain in the ass and bigger drama-queen than
Britney Spears.

I'll take your aspersions more seriously perhaps when there's some
confirmation that you've ever played the game at my level, facts & logic
man.

Anthony William Sloman

Sep 17, 2021, 10:24:04 AM9/17/21
On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 10:48:47 AM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:
> On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 12:20:16 PM UTC-7, Corvid wrote:
> > On 9/16/21 8:51 AM, Flyguy wrote:
> > > Heat deaths in rich countries have generally declined in recent
> > > decades because of air conditioning.
> >
> > How wonderful for them!
> > > Cold is much harder to deal with. Heating a home well all through the
> > > winter can be prohibitively expensive for poorer households, even in
> > > developed nations.

Unless the house is well insulated. There was a craze for super-insulated houses a while back, and they didn't take much heating at all.

If you overdid it, your own metabolic heat could cook you. All you need to do to stay warm was to keep eating (which is actually pretty expensive fuel, but you need it for body maintenance as well as fuel).

> > But, to be clear, those poorer households DO stay comfortably cool all
> > through the summer because of air conditioning? Did your story miss that?
> >
> The "story" wasn't about being "comfortable" - it is about DYING. If you are in freezing temperatures you are in danger of freezing to death; being too hot can be very uncomfortable, but EIGHT TIMES less likely to die.

At the moment, in particular societies. That "eight times more likely to die" is Flyguy flinging in one more statistic that he has seen but doesn't understand.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney