BZX79 vs. BZX55

Jon Schneider

May 15, 2022, 5:21:50 AMMay 15
What is the difference between BZX79 and BZX55 (and other) series Zener
diodes ?

I've tried comparing datasheets but cannot find both series from the
same manufacturer.

Thanks,

Jon

Reinhard Zwirner

May 15, 2022, 12:42:27 PMMay 15
Jon Schneider schrieb:
> What is the difference between BZX79 and BZX55 (and other) series Zener
> diodes ?

Wild guess: Just the manufacturer who wants to avoid that customers
having tested and thereafter implemented diodes out of his series
could switch without problems to same named types fom manufacturer B?

Bye

Reinhard

John Robertson

May 15, 2022, 4:07:22 PMMay 15
Possibly the case material? Some are glass, others are plastic...

My 1975 Motorola book says the BZX79 series are glass. I don't have a
reference book that covers the BZX55 series though.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Reinhard Zwirner

May 15, 2022, 6:08:31 PMMay 15
John Robertson schrieb:
> On 2022/05/15 2:21 a.m., Jon Schneider wrote:
>> What is the difference between BZX79 and BZX55 (and other) series
>> Zener
>> diodes ?
>>
>> I've tried comparing datasheets but cannot find both series from the
>> same manufacturer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>
> Possibly the case material? Some are glass, others are plastic...
>
> My 1975 Motorola book says the BZX79 series are glass. I don't have a
> reference book that covers the BZX55 series though.

TELEFUNKEN electronic
1985 Data Book

BZX55

CASE: JEDEC DO35

HTH

Reinhard

legg

May 16, 2022, 9:36:07 AMMay 16
From (1989) Philips:

BZX79 are available in tolerances of 5, 3, 2 and 1%.
They also have a lower specified leakage current, at low voltage.
( 1/2 to 1/4 of BZX55 ).

No practical difference - suspect mfr locations differed.

RL

Reinhard Zwirner

May 16, 2022, 4:36:59 PMMay 16
legg schrieb:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:21:47 +0100, Jon Schneider
> <j...@jschneider.tenreversed> wrote:
>
>> What is the difference between BZX79 and BZX55 (and other) series Zener
>> diodes ?
>>
>> I've tried comparing datasheets but cannot find both series from the
>> same manufacturer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>
> From (1989) Philips:
>
> BZX79 are available in tolerances of 5, 3, 2 and 1%.

As are BZX55: - Mit engeren Toleranzen lieferbar (Available with
tighter tolerances).

> They also have a lower specified leakage current, at low voltage.
> ( 1/2 to 1/4 of BZX55 ).

I would say it is the other way round - see

<https://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-144-1a15.jpg>

> No practical difference - suspect mfr locations differed.

Agreed - probably.

Bye,

Reinhard
[not in any way affiliated with one of the manufacturers ;-)]