Why are engineering sample CPUs illegal to sell?

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 12:21:49 PMJan 3
Why are engineering sample CPUs illegal to sell?

Peeler

Jan 3, 2022, 2:43:27 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 17:21:44 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven Wanker","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

<FLUSH the subnormal sociopathic trolling attention whore's latest
attention-baiting sick bullshit unread again>

--
damdu...@yahoo.co.uk about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a fucking moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"the piss poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
thekma...@gmail.com asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "Commander
Kinsey" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic wanker Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
cl...@snyder.on.ca about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a shithole with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his shit is so grand he has the right to

Paul

Jan 3, 2022, 2:46:49 PMJan 3
> Why are engineering sample CPUs illegal to sell?

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000056190/processors.html

"Can I get engineering sample processors from Intel?

Due to the pre-production nature of the engineering sample processors,
they are generally only loaned to OEMs, ODMs, and ISVs for pre-production
test and evaluation work under specific contractual terms and conditions
to assure the protection of assets and confidential information.

Engineering sample processors are not made available
to the general public by Intel."

In effect, you're in possession of stolen goods.

The whole idea is, no matter what happens, those goods are
not to be circulating in the hands of the public. You could give
them back to the local rep, and he could have them shredded.
(Some factories shred their e-waste to prevent recovery by
waste removal people.)

Those samples could have defects, maybe they don't have
a 100,000 hour operating life (early mortality). They might not
even compute properly at full speed. Like an ES 3GHz processor,
there might be an errata sheet in the box, stating you're supposed
to run them at 2GHz.

Intel could also mark them with sufficient information, to
trace them back to who received them. To determine who is leaking
them and violating a contract term.

With other manufacturers, those parts are the equivalent of the
"qual barrel". And the stuff in the qual barrel, is definitely
not production quality.

Not allowing them to be sold, is to protect *you* from receiving
inferior goods.

Paul

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 2:51:41 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 19:46:24 -0000, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/3/2022 12:21 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Why are engineering sample CPUs illegal to sell?
>
> https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000056190/processors.html
>
> "Can I get engineering sample processors from Intel?
>
> Due to the pre-production nature of the engineering sample processors,
> they are generally only loaned to OEMs, ODMs, and ISVs for pre-production
> test and evaluation work under specific contractual terms and conditions
> to assure the protection of assets and confidential information.
>
> Engineering sample processors are not made available
> to the general public by Intel."
>
> In effect, you're in possession of stolen goods.

They're not stolen, since Intel don't take them back from who they "lent" them to.

> The whole idea is, no matter what happens, those goods are
> not to be circulating in the hands of the public. You could give
> them back to the local rep, and he could have them shredded.
> (Some factories shred their e-waste to prevent recovery by
> waste removal people.)
>
> Those samples could have defects, maybe they don't have
> a 100,000 hour operating life (early mortality). They might not
> even compute properly at full speed. Like an ES 3GHz processor,
> there might be an errata sheet in the box, stating you're supposed
> to run them at 2GHz.
>
> Intel could also mark them with sufficient information, to
> trace them back to who received them. To determine who is leaking
> them and violating a contract term.
>
> With other manufacturers, those parts are the equivalent of the
> "qual barrel". And the stuff in the qual barrel, is definitely
> not production quality.
>
> Not allowing them to be sold, is to protect *you* from receiving
> inferior goods.

They clearly say sample on them. If I bought one knowing it's a sample, why would I have a problem?

VanguardLH

Jan 3, 2022, 2:58:18 PMJan 3
Someone could rent a car, and then sell it to you. The sale was illegal
by the seller, but YOU are in possesion of stolen property.

WHO sold you the engineering sample?

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 3:40:27 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 19:55:47 -0000, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.lh> wrote:

> NOTE: OP shotgun multi-posted to more than 3 newsgroups. My reply was
> submitted to only the relevant newsgroups. Following newsgroups were
> omitted in my reply:
>
> uk.legal

Readded, why is this not to do with legalities?

> sci.electronics.basics

A CPU is electronic you utter nitwit.

> Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
> ^^^^^^^^^^___ You don't own nor have permission to
> use this registered & active domain.

They should have thought of that when they sold absolute shite. I'll put whatever I want in there. If anyone chooses to email it, they're the ones breaking the law.

>> Why are engineering sample CPUs illegal to sell?
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056190/processors.html
>
> They are pre-production processors Intel loans to original equipment
> manufacturers (OEMs), original device manufacturers (ODMs), and
> independent software vendors (ISVs) to be used in the product design
> cycle before product launch.
>and
>
> - Produced by Intel are the sole property of Intel.
> - Produced by Intel are Intel Confidential.
> - Are provided by Intel under nondisclosure and/or special loan
> agreement terms with restrictions on the recipient's handling and
> use.
> - Are not for sale or resale.
> - May not have passed commercial regulatory requirements.
> Are not covered under Intel warranty and are generally not supported
> by Intel
>
> You can rent a car. You can test drive a demo. It's NOT your car.

Intel don't ask for it back like the car rental place does. It's given not loaned.

> So, just how did YOU acquire an engineering sample? You'd already know
> the answer if you had filled out all the paperwork. Or, WHO is selling
> what they claim is an engineering sample?

Why would I grass off someone who supplied me with a nice cheap CPU?

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 3:41:37 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 19:55:47 -0000, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.lh> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
> ^^^^^^^^^^___ You don't own nor have permission to
> use this registered & active domain.

Actually it isn't. Were you thinking of spam.com? Please pay attention at the back.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 3:42:50 PMJan 3
You've stated those two things in another post, stop repeating yourself.

Peeler

Jan 3, 2022, 3:50:16 PMJan 3
On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:46:24 -0500, Paul, another mentally deficient
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered:

> In effect, you're in possession of stolen goods.

In effect, you've been effectively trolled by the well-known, clinically
insane, Scottish sociopath and attention whore!

Peeler

Jan 3, 2022, 3:51:53 PMJan 3
On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:58:13 -0600, VanguardLH, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile asshole, babbled:

> Someone could rent a car

Someone could just have trolled you and you taken the retarded troll's
latest idiotic bait, senile idiot! <tsk>

Fredxx

Jan 3, 2022, 4:15:20 PMJan 3
The only idiot here is the one who thinks that nospam.com isn't
registered. It is and you don't own the domain.

Do you know how to check?

Fredxx

Jan 3, 2022, 4:17:34 PMJan 3
On 03/01/2022 20:40, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 19:55:47 -0000, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.lh> wrote:
>
>> NOTE: OP shotgun multi-posted to more than 3 newsgroups.  My reply was
>> submitted to only the relevant newsgroups.  Following newsgroups were
>> omitted in my reply:
>>
>> uk.legal
>
> Readded, why is this not to do with legalities?
>
>> sci.electronics.basics
>
> A CPU is electronic you utter nitwit.

The only nitwit here is one who thinks that no one who posts in the
suggested group has a grasp of the legal aspects of samples.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 4:23:44 PMJan 3
Try going to it. It's for sale, just like iurvesiugbstgb.com. You can buy either if you want.

And I'm not "using" the domain by stating it here. Anyone who spams it however, is.

Let me make this simple for your simple mind:
I spot a car that's left unlocked. I point it out to you. You steal the car. Who's the theif?

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 4:24:40 PMJan 3
You've got your negatives mixed up there. I think that some of them do, which is why I posted to that group.

Fredxx

Jan 3, 2022, 4:28:02 PMJan 3
You are complicit where you are aiding and abetting the theft through
Joint Enterprise.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 4:29:52 PMJan 3
Stop being such a pedantic fuckwit. There is no judge on this earth who would do me for saying to you, "hey that car's not locked".

Phil Allison

Jan 3, 2022, 5:01:34 PMJan 3
Paul wrote:
=========

> > Why are engineering sample CPUs illegal to sell?

** True story:

A manufacturer here in Sydney ( Jands Electronics) made a "pre-production" batch of a new model power amplifier for professional use.
They wisely chose to road test it in the expected environment - on the road with live bands.
They proved to be problematic in several respects and the design was heavily revised for the production version.
The sample amps were fully labelled with the maker's logo and the same model number as the later versions.
Think there were about 20 of them, put into storage for eventual disposal.

Then an enterprising staff member obtained them and decided he could sell them all to a local second hand dealer - letting him believe they were just like the regular models on sale at the time - but for a very low price so giving him a large mark up.

One soon wound up on my bench, biggest lemon I ever saw - full of design problems that no tech could fix.
I rang the manufacturer and spoke with the production manager ( Ed) whom I knew.
He groaned when I described the amp and it's issues saying they should never have left the factory.
" If that amp came back to us - we would refuse to accept it" - he remarked.

I had to explain this to the owner and the dodgy dealer - neither of whom were inclined to believe me.
Very nasty situation far any repair tech to be caught up in.
Other owners who had been scammed called me and I advised them to return the amp/s to the same dealer for a refund.

Later I met up with the guy who had done the dirty deal, what an utter asshole.

...... Phil

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 5:04:33 PMJan 3
Well that was pretty stupid of them. At least Intel stamp their CPUs with "engineering sample".

> Think there were about 20 of them, put into storage for eventual disposal.
>
> Then an enterprising staff member obtained them and decided he could sell them all to a local second hand dealer - letting him believe they were just like the regular models on sale at the time - but for a very low price so giving him a large mark up.

So he lied. But my question was about selling them as engineering samples.

Phil Allison

Jan 3, 2022, 5:44:27 PMJan 3
Commander Kinsey Raving Lunatic wrote:
====================

> > ** True story:
> >
> > A manufacturer here in Sydney ( Jands Electronics) made a "pre-production" batch of a new model power amplifier for professional use.
> > They wisely chose to road test it in the expected environment - on the road with live bands.
> > They proved to be problematic in several respects and the design was heavily revised for the production version.
> > The sample amps were fully labelled with the maker's logo and the same model number as the later versions.
>
> Well that was pretty stupid of them.

** Not at all - if problems were small or fixable the amps would have been used in the same company's hire business.
Needed to look right for that job.

> > Think there were about 20 of them, put into storage for eventual disposal.
> >
> > Then an enterprising staff member obtained them and decided he could sell them all to a local second hand dealer
> - letting him believe they were just like the regular models on sale at the time - but for a very low price so giving him a large mark up.
>
> So he lied.

** No. He deceived a gullible fool and sold items that wound up hurting the company he worked for.

> But my question was about selling them as engineering samples.

** The situations are parallel.

In both cases the items were not meant for sale for good reasons.
And assholes like YOU wanted to circumvent that decision for their own benefit.

...... Phil

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 6:29:53 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 22:44:24 -0000, Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey Raving Lunatic wrote:
> ====================
>>
>> > ** True story:
>> >
>> > A manufacturer here in Sydney ( Jands Electronics) made a "pre-production" batch of a new model power amplifier for professional use.
>> > They wisely chose to road test it in the expected environment - on the road with live bands.
>> > They proved to be problematic in several respects and the design was heavily revised for the production version.
>> > The sample amps were fully labelled with the maker's logo and the same model number as the later versions.
>>
>> Well that was pretty stupid of them.
>
> ** Not at all - if problems were small or fixable the amps would have been used in the same company's hire business.
> Needed to look right for that job.

No need to have the same model number.

>> > Think there were about 20 of them, put into storage for eventual disposal.
>> >
>> > Then an enterprising staff member obtained them and decided he could sell them all to a local second hand dealer
>> - letting him believe they were just like the regular models on sale at the time - but for a very low price so giving him a large mark up.
>>
>> So he lied.
>
> ** No. He deceived a gullible fool and sold items that wound up hurting the company he worked for.

That is a lie, he did not say they were tests.

>> But my question was about selling them as engineering samples.
>
> ** The situations are parallel.
>
> In both cases the items were not meant for sale for good reasons.
> And assholes like YOU wanted to circumvent that decision for their own benefit.

No, if I buy an engineering sample advertised as such, I don't expect it to work perfectly.

Newsgroups reinstated.

VanguardLH

Jan 3, 2022, 6:35:00 PMJan 3
Still applicable. That was the best retort you could come up with? And
you STILL haven't answered who sold you or is selling those samples.
Hmm, maybe you're the seller. Reminds of the scammers on eBay that
slice up a volume license to separate individual buyers.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 6:54:39 PMJan 3
No point as I'll see it in the other post.

> That was the best retort you could come up with?

It wasn't a retort, I was pointing out you're wasting time saying the same thing multiple times.

> And you STILL haven't answered who sold you or is selling those samples.
> Hmm, maybe you're the seller. Reminds of the scammers on eBay that
> slice up a volume license to separate individual buyers.

Why would I want you to grass him off?

As for licenses, I've bought about 50 Windows 7 premium licenses, with genuine stickers for £37 when the retail was £137. They work fine.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 3, 2022, 7:01:32 PMJan 3
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 23:49:48 -0000, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.lh> wrote:

> NOTE: Continued excessive cross-posting thwarted. Number of
> cross-posted newsgroups reduced from 4 to 2.
>
> Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 19:55:47 -0000, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.lh> wrote:
>>
>>> NOTE: OP shotgun multi-posted to more than 3 newsgroups. My reply was
>>> submitted to only the relevant newsgroups. Following newsgroups were
>>> omitted in my reply:
>>>
>>> uk.legal
>>
>> Readded, why is this not to do with legalities?
>>
>>> sci.electronics.basics
>>
>> A CPU is electronic you utter nitwit.
>
> Cross-posting to more than 3 newsgroups violates netiquette.

If it shouldn't be done, it's odd how every newsreader allows it.

I post to groups where I think people will give an answer or be interested.

> Doesn't how many you contrive are on-topic. Some netizens consider more than 2
> to be excessive.

Using the word netizen indicates you're a freak.

>>> Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^___ You don't own nor have permission to
>>> use this registered & active domain.
>>
>> They should have thought of that when they sold absolute shite.
>
> How is that relevant to the domain you used in your address field?

I thought you were talking about spam.com, Hormel Food Corporation, that sells that disgusting waste product as food. I didn't realise you'd be stupid enough to think nospam.com was a company.

>> I'll put whatever I want in there.
>
> Yep, the excuse of a troll.

I'm not going to put my own address in there and receive spam am I?

>> If anyone chooses to email it, they're the ones breaking the law.
>
> Oh, that law. Uh huh.

Spam is illegal is it not? If not why not?

> Hmm, a nitwit that has no knowlege of the .invalid TLD.

I do, but see no point in using it.

> Else, YOU are
> the spammer energizing spam and other unsolicited messages to a domain
> that isn't yours. Yep, trolls aren't known for being polite.

It isn't anyone's, and I'm not the one sending the spam.

>>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056190/processors.html
>>>
>>> They are pre-production processors Intel loans to original equipment
>>> manufacturers (OEMs), original device manufacturers (ODMs), and
>>> independent software vendors (ISVs) to be used in the product design
>>> cycle before product launch.
>>> and
>>>
>>> - Produced by Intel are the sole property of Intel.
>>> - Produced by Intel are Intel Confidential.
>>> - Are provided by Intel under nondisclosure and/or special loan
>>> agreement terms with restrictions on the recipient's handling and
>>> use.
>>> - Are not for sale or resale.
>>> - May not have passed commercial regulatory requirements.
>>> Are not covered under Intel warranty and are generally not supported
>>> by Intel
>>>
>>> You can rent a car. You can test drive a demo. It's NOT your car.
>>
>> Intel don't ask for it back like the car rental place does. It's
>> given not loaned.
>
> Wrong. Loans don't always require [re]payment. That's just what you
> are used to. Because of her financial situation, I know someone that
> got a loan with zero interest, zero payments, and no lien on change of
> title of the home, so no payback. Granting use does not mandate payment
> nor return.

That's not a loan if it doesn't have to be paid back, that was a gift.

> Oh, did YOU happen to get all the paperwork allowing you to possess the
> engineering sample to definitely know the samples were not to be
> returned?

Doesn't matter to me. I've paid the money and I have the product, any theft that took place previously is not of my concern.

> My guess, and yours, is return was not required, especially
> since the samples could be damaged on use. You think someone who loans
> you a stick of gum really wants it back?

People do not loan sticks of gum. They give them.

>>> So, just how did YOU acquire an engineering sample? You'd already
>>> know the answer if you had filled out all the paperwork. Or, WHO is
>>> selling what they claim is an engineering sample?
>>
>> Why would I grass off someone who supplied me with a nice cheap CPU?
>
> So, why are you whining about others stating you are in possession of
> stolen goods,

I'm not, I'm whining about it being difficult for sellers to advertise them.

> because obviously you don't care about aiding thieves.

They stole it, not me.

> To you, if you don't get caught, it ain't illegal.

Of course it isn't. When I break the speed limit and don't get caught, I receive no fine, so the law has had no effect on me.

Phil Allison

Jan 3, 2022, 7:15:39 PMJan 3
Commander Kinsey Raving Lunatic wrote:
====================

> > ** Not at all - if problems were small or fixable the amps would have been used in the same company's hire business.
> > Needed to look right for that job.
> No need to have the same model number.

** To assist sales of the new model - it was needed.

> >> So he lied.
> >
> > ** No. He deceived a gullible fool and sold items that wound up hurting the company he worked for.

> That is a lie,

** He was simply being " economical with the facts" some of which he did not know.

> >> But my question was about selling them as engineering samples.
> >
> > ** The situations are parallel.
> >
> > In both cases the items were not meant for sale for good reasons.
> > And assholes like YOU wanted to circumvent that decision for their own benefit.
>
> No,

** Yes - you fucking LIAR

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Jan 4, 2022, 3:13:52 AMJan 4
I've only seen this one post, but I know pre production models of things
can slip out for whatever reason. I had a computer once where the pcb had
been manufactured with a fault, tend you can clearly see back then where the
tracks had been manually cut and wires bridged the contacts to the right
places, leaving the tracks as orphans.
Likewise a number of Sinclair ZX Spectrums in the early days were made with
known faulty ULA chips and a logic chip glued to the surface with its legs
splayed and wired to make the circuit work.
The first batch of Phillips CD100s the very first CD player on the market
had quite a lot of wires cut tracks and components wired in odd ways inside
it. I have to say that none of these what we might call bodges ever caused
any trouble during the lives of the products. The CD100 is in fact still
working, although its tendency to jump if a gnat walks across the floor
shows it does not have the memory buffers in modern players.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 3:45:18 AMJan 4
Brian Gaff Shithead Trollpuked:
=============================

> I've only seen this one post, but I know pre production models of things
> can slip out for whatever reason.

** No you don't.

> I had a computer once where the pcb had
> been manufactured with a fault, tend you can clearly see back then where the
> tracks had been manually cut and wires bridged the contacts to the right
> places, leaving the tracks as orphans.

** So fucking what ? That is not an example..

> Likewise a number of Sinclair ZX Spectrums in the early days were made with
> known faulty ULA chips and a logic chip glued to the surface with its legs
> splayed and wired to make the circuit work.

** Still very much meant to be sold - so not a failed prototype.

> The first batch of Phillips CD100s the very first CD player on the market
> had quite a lot of wires cut tracks and components wired in odd ways inside
> it. I have to say that none of these what we might call bodges ever caused
> any trouble during the lives of the products.

** Just destroyed your own bullshit case.

....... Phil

Peeler

Jan 4, 2022, 4:27:06 AMJan 4
On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 08:13:45 -0000, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

> I've only seen this one post,

And one post is enough for you to instantly start feeding the trolling
attention whore again, you filthy disgusting troll-feeding blind cretin!

rbowman

Jan 4, 2022, 9:53:22 AMJan 4
On 01/04/2022 01:13 AM, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Likewise a number of Sinclair ZX Spectrums in the early days were made with
> known faulty ULA chips and a logic chip glued to the surface with its legs
> splayed and wired to make the circuit work.

When the ZX80 came out it was available as an unassembled kit for $99. I
don't remember the exact problem but I had to tweak it ti get it to run.

Osborne came out with a 100 column conversion for the Osborne 1. CMOS
was a new technology and while it normally saved power, dissipation
increased with frequency. The circuit would work until the chip got hot.
I replace it with the equivalent LS part and all was good.

Back in those days I could see the components without a microscope so
component level troubleshooting was feasible.

Harry Bloomfield Esq

Jan 4, 2022, 10:42:14 AMJan 4
rbowman wrote :
> Osborne came out with a 100 column conversion for the Osborne 1. CMOS was a
> new technology and while it normally saved power, dissipation increased with
> frequency. The circuit would work until the chip got hot. I replace it with
> the equivalent LS part and all was good.

The BBC computer had a similar problem - the early versions had to have
an heatsink on a certain chip to keep it cool, I half remember. I also
had a timing issue with an S100 computer I built and partially
designed. I finally spotted the issue, when I could afford to buy a
'scope, but by then it was too late - my homebuilt was due for
replacement with something better.

I think now that designer have simply become more skilled and obviously
the range of components have improved massively.

Peeler

Jan 4, 2022, 10:56:13 AMJan 4
On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 07:53:26 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> Back in those days I could see the components without a microscope so
> component level troubleshooting was feasible.

I bet that even back in those days you were an endlessly driveling bigmouth
and braggart! <BG>

Sysadmin

Jan 4, 2022, 11:01:26 AMJan 4
They use logic analysers in simulations now before the design gets
anywhere near a product.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 1:22:19 PMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 00:15:37 -0000, Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey Raving Lunatic wrote:
> ====================
>

>> > ** Not at all - if problems were small or fixable the amps would have been used in the same company's hire business.
>> > Needed to look right for that job.
>> No need to have the same model number.
>
> ** To assist sales of the new model - it was needed.

Add a T on the end for "test".

>> > ** No. He deceived a gullible fool and sold items that wound up hurting the company he worked for.
>
>> That is a lie,
>
> ** He was simply being " economical with the facts" some of which he did not know.

Pretty sure he knew they were test models.

>> > ** The situations are parallel.
>> >
>> > In both cases the items were not meant for sale for good reasons.
>> > And assholes like YOU wanted to circumvent that decision for their own benefit.
>>
>> No,
>
> ** Yes - you fucking LIAR

Again, "my question was about selling them as engineering samples", meaning the buyer knows full well what they are getting into. If I sell you a 2nd hand car, do you expect it to be as reliable as a new one?

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 1:59:29 PMJan 4
Do grow up.

And if you're going to insult someone, you need to post it to the group he reads it in.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 2:00:49 PMJan 4
The ZX Spectrum had faulty RAM chips, Sinclair bought dodgy ones of twice the size they needed, tested where the fault was, and only use the good half. It saved a lot on the price.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 2:02:38 PMJan 4
I once broke a Pentium 2 or 3 (or that sort of era) by pushing hard with a screwdriver on the heatsink mount. It slipped and scratched the top of it (the tracks from the actual processor across to the pins). The technician where I worked had such a steady hand he resoldered it under a microscope.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 2:04:28 PMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 18:00:02 -0000, trader_4 <tra...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 11:48:23 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> Remember all those "sx" processors? DX Processores where the
>> floating point processors built on the fie were defective, and rather
>> than discard everything they just blew a few "fuses" on the chip and
>> sold them as SX on boards where an external FPU could be mounted if
>> you needed the FPU function
>
> That's another myth. At introduction, the SX's used the same silicone
> as the DX product, with the floating point unit untested and disabled.
> If Intel were to have relied on die where the floating point unit was
> defective, there wouldn't have been enough to meet the enormous demand
> for SX product. This was high yield production at Intel not Joe's
> crap line. And within a year Intel had a new SX version with the floating point
> unit removed, which made the die smaller, less costly to produce
> and more profitable. That was the plan all along.

You could buy an SX and reenable the coprocessor.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 2:05:22 PMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 17:05:30 -0000, Andrew <Andrew9...@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

> On 04/01/2022 16:08, charles wrote:
>> In article <sr1psh$2l2$1...@dont-email.me>, Harry Bloomfield Esq
>> <a...@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The BBC computer had a similar problem - the early versions had to have
>>> an heatsink on a certain chip to keep it cool, I half remember.
>>
>> I had one of the very early ones and don't remember any such problem.
>>

> They were supplied initially with a non-switching P/S that ran rather
> hot, but a better switch-mode power supply (astec?) was supplied
> free-of-charge a few months later.

The ones I encountered were very heavy, so I assume not switching. I don't remember excessive heat. It's not like we used to run the CPUs flat out back then.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 2:08:48 PMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 13:50:02 -0000, Bill <none...@att.net> wrote:

> On 1/4/2022 4:19 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
>> Kinsey,
>>
>>> They clearly say sample on them. If I bought one knowing it's a sample,
>>> why would I have a problem?
>>
>> Still playing stupid I see ...
>>
>> Because you should be aware by now (if you wheren't already) that those
>> engineering sample CPU are not theirs to sell. When you than decide to buy
>> them anyway you would be *knowingly* be part of a theft.
>>
>> And that 'knowingly' part is something the Law does not take lightly. If
>> they would ever find out you would be forced to return the goods to the
>> actual owner - without getting your money back - and likely be "invited" to
>> spend some quality time in one of the Laws "relaxation centers".
>>
>> The positive side of that that the boarding, meals and doctor visits are
>> free. :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rudy Wieser
>
> This reminds me of something similar. There are many "entities" selling
> Windows-Pro (OEM) keys for under $20, while a "proper" one will set you
> back $160. It surprises me that this is allowed to go on and is being
> treated "so lightly". I will almost surely be the sucker who pays $160,
> but the difference is enough to make one stop and think about it. I
> wonder why they don't ask for $260 or $360? I only paid $99 for my OEM
> copy of Windows-7 (pro), but at least I got Windows-10 as a free update
> to it. I would like to upgrade, but will wait until it is easier to buy
> a sensible GPU at a sensible price.

What do you mean by entities? It's perfectly legal to buy OEM anything, including Windows. You can get them from a major seller in the UK. You just miss out on the big manual and some support or something.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Jan 4, 2022, 3:09:53 PMJan 4
Hucker is a well known troll. Best not to feed the twat.

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 3:45:35 PMJan 4
Commander Kinsey Raving Lunatic wrote:
====================

> >> No,
> >
> > ** Yes - you fucking LIAR

> Again, "my question was about selling them as engineering samples",

** With a caveat they were not for sale as they may contain defects.
Exactly like the 20 amps I cited.

FOAD you pig headed troll.

Chris

Jan 4, 2022, 3:47:20 PMJan 4
Try reading the text above more slowly this time. It is explicitly loaned.

>> Oh, did YOU happen to get all the paperwork allowing you to possess the
>> engineering sample to definitely know the samples were not to be
>> returned?
>
> Doesn't matter to me. I've paid the money and I have the product, any
> theft that took place previously is not of my concern.

Your poor knowledge of basic UK law is concerning.
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/handling-stolen-goods-2/

Knowingly handling stolen goods is illegal.

Not knowing they're stolen doesn't mean you get to keep them. They will
rightfully be confiscated from you.

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 3:50:26 PMJan 4
Raving Lunatic Arsehole Commander Kinsey wrote:

> > Brian Gaff Shithead Troll puked:
> > =============================
> >>
> >> I've only seen this one post, but I know pre production models of things
> >> can slip out for whatever reason.
> >
> > ** No you don't.
> >
> >> I had a computer once where the pcb had
> >> been manufactured with a fault, tend you can clearly see back then where the
> >> tracks had been manually cut and wires bridged the contacts to the right
> >> places, leaving the tracks as orphans.
> >
> > ** So fucking what ? That is not an example..
> >

> >> Likewise a number of Sinclair ZX Spectrums in the early days were made with
> >> known faulty ULA chips and a logic chip glued to the surface with its legs
> >> splayed and wired to make the circuit work.
> >
> > ** Still very much meant to be sold - so not a failed prototype.
> >
> >> The first batch of Phillips CD100s the very first CD player on the market
> >> had quite a lot of wires cut tracks and components wired in odd ways inside
> >> it. I have to say that none of these what we might call bodges ever caused
> >> any trouble during the lives of the products.
> >
> > ** Just destroyed your own bullshit case.
>
> Do grow up.

** You need to stop fucking your elderly mom.

> And if you're going to insult someone, you need to post it to the group he reads it in.

** The "reply all '' icon works for me.
Fuckhead.

Chris

Jan 4, 2022, 3:58:23 PMJan 4
Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 21:27:56 -0000, Fredxx <fre...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 03/01/2022 21:23, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>>
>>> Let me make this simple for your simple mind:
>>> I spot a car that's left unlocked. I point it out to you. You steal
>>> the car. Who's the theif?
>>
>> You are complicit where you are aiding and abetting the theft through
>> Joint Enterprise.
>
> Stop being such a pedantic fuckwit. There is no judge on this earth who
> would do me for saying to you, "hey that car's not locked".

They absolutely would if, based on the knowledge you gave, Fred stole it
and you did nothing to stop him.
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/inchoate-offences

In fact, for serious crimes you could be prosecuted for simply suggesting a
criminal act even if that act never occurred.

Given your other post the police would laugh at how crap a criminal you
are. "Nah, mate you can't arrest me. See this gold bar? Bob stole it and
gave it to me. I also told bob the security van door was unlocked. So it's
mine and you can't do anything about it." "You're nicked, sunshine!" :D

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 4:07:15 PMJan 4
Chris wrote:
===========

> >> You are complicit where you are aiding and abetting the theft through
> >> Joint Enterprise.
> >
> > Stop being such a pedantic fuckwit. There is no judge on this earth who
> > would do me for saying to you, "hey that car's not locked".
>
> They absolutely would if, based on the knowledge you gave, Fred stole it
> and you did nothing to stop him.

** Utter bullshit.

> https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/inchoate-offences

** Only lying assholes post irrelevant links with no specifics.

> In fact, for serious crimes you could be prosecuted for simply suggesting a
> criminal act even if that act never occurred.

** Horse poo.
You do not even know basic definitions.

..... Phil

Peeler

Jan 4, 2022, 4:21:07 PMJan 4
On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 20:58:19 -0000 (UTC), Chris, yet another brain dead
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered again:

> They absolutely would if, based on the knowledge you gave, Fred stole it
> and you did nothing to stop him.
> https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/inchoate-offences
>
> In fact, for serious crimes you could be prosecuted for simply suggesting a
> criminal act even if that act never occurred.
>
> Given your other post the police would laugh at how crap a criminal you
> are. "Nah, mate you can't arrest me. See this gold bar? Bob stole it and
> gave it to me. I also told bob the security van door was unlocked. So it's
> mine and you can't do anything about it." "You're nicked, sunshine!" :D

Given your posts, the Scottish wanker and troll will keep laughing at how
easy it is for him to make all you senile idiots feed him, every time he
wants to be fed by one you, even though most of you KNOW already what he's
all about! <BG>

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 4:41:38 PMJan 4
How's your husband doing?

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 4:43:16 PMJan 4
If the buyer knows what they're getting, there's no problem.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 4:45:14 PMJan 4
If they never take them back, it's not a loan. Can you loan me your mower forever? No, that's called a gift.

>>> Oh, did YOU happen to get all the paperwork allowing you to possess the
>>> engineering sample to definitely know the samples were not to be
>>> returned?
>>
>> Doesn't matter to me. I've paid the money and I have the product, any
>> theft that took place previously is not of my concern.
>
> Your poor knowledge of basic UK law is concerning.
> https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/handling-stolen-goods-2/
>
> Knowingly handling stolen goods is illegal.
>
> Not knowing they're stolen doesn't mean you get to keep them. They will
> rightfully be confiscated from you.

It's not rightfull. The person who stole them should be made to reimburse me.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 4:46:41 PMJan 4
Thanks for reinforcing your childishness.

>> And if you're going to insult someone, you need to post it to the group he reads it in.
>
> ** The "reply all '' icon works for me.
> Fuckhead.

No, it's broken. You're only posting to one group, and he isn't in it.

Ralph Mowery

Jan 4, 2022, 5:15:29 PMJan 4
In article <a7a7f139-fbf3-467c...@googlegroups.com>,
palli...@gmail.com says...
> A manufacturer here in Sydney ( Jands Electronics) made a "pre-production" batch of a new model power amplifier for professional use.
> They wisely chose to road test it in the expected environment - on the road with live bands.
> They proved to be problematic in several respects and the design was heavily revised for the production version.
> The sample amps were fully labelled with the maker's logo and the same model number as the later versions.
> Think there were about 20 of them, put into storage for eventual disposal.
>
> Then an enterprising staff member obtained them and decided he could sell them all to a local second hand dealer - letting him believe they were just like the regular models on sale at the time - but for a very low price so giving him a large mark up.

Sounds like many of the components comming out of China on ebay. Others
they must relable junk parts to company logos.

Chris

Jan 4, 2022, 5:49:13 PMJan 4
Incorrect.

>>> Doesn't matter to me. I've paid the money and I have the product, any
>>> theft that took place previously is not of my concern.
>>
>> Your poor knowledge of basic UK law is concerning.
>> https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/handling-stolen-goods-2/
>>
>> Knowingly handling stolen goods is illegal.
>>
>> Not knowing they're stolen doesn't mean you get to keep them. They will
>> rightfully be confiscated from you.
>
> It's not rightfull. The person who stole them should be made to reimburse me.

Lol. You can always try to sue them. Good luck with that...

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 5:49:39 PMJan 4
Raving Lunatic Arsehole Commander Kinsey wrote:
> > Brian Gaff Shithead Troll puked:

> >> Do grow up.
> >>
> > ** You need to stop fucking your elderly mom.

> Thanks for reinforcing your childishness.

** But you need to stop mother fucking - really.

> >> And if you're going to insult someone, you need to post it to the group he reads it in.
> >
> > ** The "reply all '' icon works for me.
> > Fuckhead.

> No, it's broken.

** Tell Google Groups, not me.

> You're only posting to one group, and he isn't in it.

** But *strangely* his words are .... and he reacted to my post.

Leave that old lady alone you cruel pervert.
=================================

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 5:54:21 PMJan 4
Commander Kinsey Raving Lunatic wrote:
==============================

> >> Again, "my question was about selling them as engineering samples",
> >
> > ** With a caveat they were not for sale as they may contain defects.
> > Exactly like the 20 amps I cited.
> > FOAD you pig headed troll.
>
> If the buyer knows what they're getting,

** Fake use of "if" condition.

Just like ALL your narcissistic, fucked up, fake reasoning.

FOAD - asshole.

..... Phil

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 6:12:32 PMJan 4
Total FUCKWIT Commander Kinsey wrote:
=================================

> > Knowingly handling stolen goods is illegal.
> >
> > Not knowing they're stolen doesn't mean you get to keep them. They will
> > rightfully be confiscated from you.
>
> It's not rightfull.

** By law they must be - so rightful.

> The person who stole them should be made to reimburse me.

** LOL - more narcissistic CRAP from a total fuckhead.

Responsibility works it's way up the tree.
Each party owes the one they supplied, unless the *purchaser* was knowing OR reckless at to legal ownership.
Then they are liable for handling stolen property.

FYI:

In my business ( electronics repairs) I sometimes get offered stolen items to fix.
The giveaway is the "owner" has no clue about the fault or how the thing is even operated.
Refusing to say how or where he got it is a cincher as are missing serial numbers.

If I know or reasonably suspect an item in my workshop was stolen, I cannot legally give it back.
Funny how the culprits do not see it that way....

..... Phil

Peeler

Jan 4, 2022, 6:15:19 PMJan 4
On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 22:49:09 -0000 (UTC), Chris, another absolutely brain
dead, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered:

> Lol. You can always try to sue them. Good luck with that...

Why should he sue anyone when he can have so much fun, leading a senile
asshole like you around by the nose any time he wants to, you senile cretin?

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 8:58:22 PMJan 4
Do you not understand what loan means? It means you temporarily are allowed possession of my thing.

>>> Your poor knowledge of basic UK law is concerning.
>>> https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/handling-stolen-goods-2/
>>>
>>> Knowingly handling stolen goods is illegal.
>>>
>>> Not knowing they're stolen doesn't mean you get to keep them. They will
>>> rightfully be confiscated from you.
>>
>> It's not rightfull. The person who stole them should be made to reimburse me.
>
> Lol. You can always try to sue them. Good luck with that...

You can actually. If you tell the police to ask the judge/magistrate, they can award money to those who lost out, taking it from the thief.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 9:00:56 PMJan 4
Don't be such a prude.

>> > ** The "reply all '' icon works for me.
>> > Fuckhead.
>
>> No, it's broken.
>
> ** Tell Google Groups, not me.

ROTFPMSL! You use google groups?! Get a real newsreader you stupid newbie. I think I ought to killfile anyone using that shite.

>> You're only posting to one group, and he isn't in it.
>
> ** But *strangely* his words are .... and he reacted to my post.

AFAIK he's only in alt.computer.workshop. I often re-add the groups you delete, so he probably saw my post, not yours.

> Leave that old lady alone you cruel pervert.
> =================================

Don't be such a prude, they enjoy it.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 9:02:40 PMJan 4
On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 22:54:19 -0000, Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey Raving Lunatic wrote:
> ==============================

>> > ** With a caveat they were not for sale as they may contain defects.
>> > Exactly like the 20 amps I cited.
>> > FOAD you pig headed troll.
>>
>> If the buyer knows what they're getting,
>>
> ** Fake use of "if" condition.

"If" is a pretty simple word, why do you have a problem with it? Plenty are sold clearly stating "engineering sample".

> Just like ALL your narcissistic, fucked up, fake reasoning.
>
> FOAD - asshole.

Your anger only goes to show you're losing the argument.

Commander Kinsey

Jan 4, 2022, 9:06:01 PMJan 4
Some is good, some is shit, but you can get money back for the shit.

I bought some Li Ion batteries claiming 2.5 times more capacity than the best Panasonic ones. They actually had a third of the Panasonic's capacity when I tested them. As soon as I suggested they weren't up to spec, I got a 100% refund and could keep them. They know they're fiddling.

But I bought a battery charger for 99p including postage from China, and it works perfectly.

Phil Allison

Jan 4, 2022, 9:18:40 PMJan 4

> >> Thanks for reinforcing your childishness.
> >
> > ** But you need to stop mother fucking - really.
> Don't be such a prude.

** Take pig rooting instread.

> > ** Tell Google Groups, not me.
>
> ROTFPMSL! You use google groups?!

** Works really well.

> I think I ought to killfile anyone using that shite.

** Go ahead = make my day ...

> >> You're only posting to one group, and he isn't in it.
> >
> > ** But *strangely* his words are .... and he reacted to my post.

> AFAIK he's only in alt.computer.workshop.

** I have known Brian Gaff for almost 20 years.
He lives in the UK, posts only on " uk.rec.audio ",
he is geriatric, blind and a massive troll.

But a not a raving, psycho morn like you.

rbowman

Jan 4, 2022, 9:28:32 PMJan 4
What, you didn't have a Turbo button?

Chris

Jan 5, 2022, 4:01:19 AMJan 5
A loan term can be indefinite.

>>> It's not rightfull. The person who stole them should be made to reimburse me.
>>
>> Lol. You can always try to sue them. Good luck with that...
>
> You can actually. If you tell the police to ask the judge/magistrate,
> they can award money to those who lost out, taking it from the thief.

Only the original victim of the theft. Not subsequent buyers of the stolen
goods.

Peeler

Jan 5, 2022, 4:53:55 AMJan 5