Why A DC to DC Converter Will Not Increase Range of the $3 Voltmeter Either

Bret Cahill

Apr 28, 2022, 1:36:32 PM4/28/22
Guessing that there was no clever end run around the 30v maximum I tried a DC to DC converter set to 15v then measured the voltage between the +38v and the +15v.

Instead of 23 v it jumped around all over the place then settled on 3.x v.

A cap between the terminals might not work either and may due to the fluctuating current short out the converter.

Bret Cahill

Apr 28, 2022, 2:18:47 PM4/28/22
> Guessing that there was no clever end run around the 30v maximum I tried a DC to DC converter set to 15v then measured the voltage between the +38v and the +15v.
>
> Instead of 23 v it jumped around all over the place then settled on 3.x v.
>
> A cap between the terminals might not work either and may due to the fluctuating current short out the converter.

Whoops! It works, at least for an 8 amp converter with a .270 amp load.

The $3 volt meter reads a volt high, but once corrected the voltages add up only losing half a volt somewhere.

Just add 14.3v to get the voltage and remaining range of the ebike.

I will now try a 2 amp converter.

Jasen Betts

Apr 28, 2022, 4:00:56 PM4/28/22