Cheap Chinese rubbish

84 views
Skip to first unread message

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 11:55:37 AMJan 2
to
An LED striplight. After 1 month, BANG! A puff of smoke and a hole blown in the side of it. What I think used to be an inductor has exploded with enough force to rupture the casing. Funny thing is, it continued to work for a day, and now works if I tap it.

https://i.imgur.com/U1AxIet.jpg

Jim Stewart ...

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 12:08:39 PMJan 2
to
Chyyyyna...squandering the worlds resources.....

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 12:13:17 PMJan 2
to
What makes you say they're doing that?

Jim GM4DHJ ...

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 12:24:42 PMJan 2
to
I have never thrown away so much chinese junk....never did that with jap
stuff....

Fred

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 12:31:23 PMJan 2
to


"Commander Kinsey" <CFKi...@military.org.jp> wrote in message
news:op.0wlqm...@ryzen.lan...
> An LED striplight. After 1 month, BANG! A puff of smoke and a hole blown
> in the side of it. What I think used to be an inductor has exploded with
> enough force to rupture the casing. Funny thing is, it continued to work
> for a day, and now works if I tap it.

Inductors don't usually explode.

> https://i.imgur.com/U1AxIet.jpg

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 12:32:27 PMJan 2
to
But you can recycle it. And they use less materials to make it.

Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it isn't.
Their battery chargers work but may need sellotaping together.
Their LED lights usually work but can give you an electric shock or explode.
Their cameras are 10 times lower resolution than advertised, but you moan and get them free.
Their Li Ion batteries are 8 times less capacity than advertised, but you moan and get them free.
Their meat infects the entire world with a deadly virus.

I do take great delight in seeing how many of their Ebay accounts I can have deleted. So much of my purchase history says "no longer a registered user".

Ed Pawlowski

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 1:35:56 PMJan 2
to
Much of it made to the specifications of an engineer or designer from
the US importer. Ask for junk, get junk.

rbowman

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 1:51:30 PMJan 2
to
Didn't grow up in the '50s, did you? The Chinese can and do make high
quality products as well as cheap junk.

What puzzles me is a lot of the cheap junk requires almost as much work
as the good stuff. I ordered some Photon micro lights from Amazon and
got some ripoffs in the mix. Amazon refunded the cost of the ripoffs but
they almost looked like genuine Photons, almost being the key word. The
LED color was off and the screw looked like they'd been crafted by a
squirrel but they were so close...


rbowman

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 1:56:52 PMJan 2
to
On 01/02/2021 10:32 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> Their Li Ion batteries are 8 times less capacity than advertised, but
> you moan and get them free.

In a thread in another group Baofeng radios came up for discussion.
There was one listed on eBay with a miraculous 18W output and a 8000 mAh
battery. People on the ham forums were of the opinion a small, handheld
transceiver might put out 18W of RF power for a few seconds before the
melting plastic became annoying.


Ralph Mowery

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 2:16:28 PMJan 2
to
In article <i5btld...@mid.individual.net>, bow...@montana.com
says...
> > What makes you say they're doing that?
> > I have never thrown away so much chinese junk....never did that with jap
> > stuff....
>
> Didn't grow up in the '50s, did you? The Chinese can and do make high
> quality products as well as cheap junk.
>
>

I think Japan started putting out quality products to ship to the US
when they ran out of all the American beer cans the GIs left over there
from WW-2.

China has a problem in that we are still sending them our junk.

Some China equipment is very good and lots of it junk. Much of the
solid state componens are junk. They seem to be remarked or repackaged
to resemble something else.

Being into ham radio I have some China equipment. Some of it is very
good at a good price, some of it lasts aa few months and quits, some of
it works but maybe not all that great.
You just have to read the reviews and take your chances.



Witherspoon

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 3:38:13 PMJan 2
to
I no longer trust anything Chinese that has to have power running
through it. I ordered six so-called "20 amp" 12-24 VDC LED dimmers a
month ago. Out of the two I tried, one burned up within minutes at only
5 amps at 12VDC, and the other burned after several days running the
same. The latter actually went without warning, but at least the first
one was running hot so I actually didn't leave the area for fear it was
going to burn. Good thing I have a strong fan to evacuate the fumes,
which would surely be toxic in short order!

None of this Chinese crap is UL listed and thus just about anything can
happen. The ONLY thing I might take a chance on are older ATX power
supplies. At least those have a listing and, although still not UL, it
is better than nothing plus US PC manufacturers don't want to be sued
for their computer burning down a house.

Phil Allison

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 5:28:08 PMJan 2
to
Commander Kinsey wrote:
=========================
> An LED striplight. After 1 month, BANG! A puff of smoke and a hole blown in the side of it. What I think used to be an inductor has exploded with enough force to rupture the casing. Funny thing is, it continued to work for a day, and now works if I tap it.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/U1AxIet.jpg

** That brown goop all over the place has gone bad.

Light yellow when new, it slowly goes brown with heat and turns a conductive.

Can easily cause explosions just like you have.

You can Google the topic.


.... Phil

rbowman

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 9:14:00 PMJan 2
to
On 01/02/2021 12:16 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> Being into ham radio I have some China equipment. Some of it is very
> good at a good price, some of it lasts aa few months and quits, some of
> it works but maybe not all that great.
> You just have to read the reviews and take your chances.

I should buy a Baofeng to play with. If nothing else I could liberate
the RDA1846 and drive it with an Arduino. For serious work I'll stick
with my Yaesu FT-60.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 11:17:45 PMJan 2
to
In article <i5cnj4...@mid.individual.net>, bow...@montana.com
says...
>
> I should buy a Baofeng to play with. If nothing else I could liberate
> the RDA1846 and drive it with an Arduino. For serious work I'll stick
> with my Yaesu FT-60.
>
>

I have 2 of the Baofengs. One is a dual band and the other is a 3 band
with the 220 mhz band on it. They work fine for what I use them for.
Mainly just to go to hamfest with several others and keep in touch or
carry it to my repeater to give it a final test before leaving.

For my use the only thing I complain about is the display that resembles
a S meter. It is either full scale or not at all.


rbowman

unread,
Jan 2, 2021, 11:46:44 PMJan 2
to
On 01/02/2021 09:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> I have 2 of the Baofengs. One is a dual band and the other is a 3 band
> with the 220 mhz band on it. They work fine for what I use them for.
> Mainly just to go to hamfest with several others and keep in touch or
> carry it to my repeater to give it a final test before leaving.

Anything on 220 where you are? I sort of forget that even exists.

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 5:13:51 AMJan 3
to
Yes I suspect a capacitor was at fault here, Inductors tend to smell short
out and die quite silently.

I often wonder if these new lamps with inbuilt electronics are ever tested
on real life mains voltages, as you do get large spikes up to 1000v at times
on the mains.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fred" <hju...@hotnail.com> wrote in message
news:i5bov6...@mid.individual.net...

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 5:22:06 AMJan 3
to
This is not a new thing though is it? Back in the days of the USSR we used
to get a lot of stuff like cassette machines and radios and even black and
whit tvs from Soviet bloc countries. Some were OK, but a little fragile but
one I remember made by a company in the Czech area called Tesla had a
great design and a great sound as a recorder player that ran form the mains.
The sad part was that it seemed to have been manufactured by idiots in that
all the riveted bits were loose, the flywheel was not on straight and the
motor and induction type, was doubling as the mains transformer and
basically over a three month period it gradually fell to bits chewed tape
and finally the brackets that held the piano keys fell of completely.

Like most things, a lot of things are designed well but cheap manufacture
and lack of quality control and corner cutting on components ruin them.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Witherspoon" <ws...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:rsqljh$pft$1...@dont-email.me...

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:28:41 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 16:55:30 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven Wanker","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

<FLUSH the subnormal sociopathic trolling attention whore's latest
attention-baiting sick bullshit unread again>

--
damdu...@yahoo.co.uk about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:
"He is a well known attention seeking troll and every reply you
make feeds him.
Starts many threads most of which die quick as on the UK groups anyone
with sense Kill filed him ages ago which is why he now cross posts to
the US groups for a new audience.
This thread was unusual in that it derived and continued without him
to a large extent and his silly questioning is an attempt to get
noticed again."
MID: <be195d5jh0hktj054...@4ax.com>

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your
stupidity."
MID: <e39a6a7f-9677-4e78...@googlegroups.com>

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...
You have been presented with a viewpoint with information, reasoning,
historical cases, citations and references to back it up and wilfully
ignore all going back to your idea which has no supporting information."
MID: <KaToA.263621$g93.2...@fx10.am4>

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."
MID: <uv2u4clurscpat3g2...@4ax.com>

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a fucking moronic motorist."
MID: <j7fb6ct83igfd1g99...@4ax.com>

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class
ass hole jerk. ...You fit under unconditional Idiot and should be put in
mental institution.
MID: <VLCdnYC5HK1Z4S3F...@giganews.com>

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."
MID: <obru31$nao$3...@dont-email.me>

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."
MID: <4d907253-b3b9-40d4...@googlegroups.com>

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."
MID: <op.yy3c0...@dell3100.workgroup>

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the piss poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and
several parrots living in his hovel."
MID: <odqtgc$iug$1...@dont-email.me>

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"
MID: <20170519215057.56a1f1d4@Mars>

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ
lower than your age, and I accept that as a reason for your comments."
MID: <0001HW.1EE2D20300...@news.eternal-september.org>

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how
negative it may be."
MID: <rOmdndd_O7u8iK7E...@brightview.co.uk>

--
thekma...@gmail.com asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"
MID: <58ddfad5-d9a5-4031...@googlegroups.com>

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):
"What are you resurrecting that old post of mine for? It's from last
month some time. You're like a dog who's just dug up an old bone they
hid in the garden until they were ready to have another go at it."
MID: <59d8b0db...@news.eternal-september.org>

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable
sponging failure who will always live alone and will die alone. You will not
be missed."
MID: <orree6$on2$1...@dont-email.me>

--
Richard to pathetic wanker Hucker:
"You haven't bred?
Only useful thing you've done in your pathetic existence."
MID: <orvctf$l5m$1...@gioia.aioe.org>

--
cl...@snyder.on.ca about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious
mistake having him born alive -- A total waste of oxygen, food, space,
and bandwidth."
MID: <s5e9uclqpnabteheh...@4ax.com>

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a shithole with no hot
running water with loads of stinking cats and a few parrots."
MID: <os5m1i$8m1$1...@dont-email.me>

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"
MID: <cf06cdd9-8bb8-469c...@googlegroups.com>

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
explain the concept of "invincible ignorance"."
MID: <otofc8$tbg$2...@dont-email.me>

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his shit is so grand he has the right to
try to force it on everyone."
MID: <slrnq16c27....@jaka.local>

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:29:09 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 17:08:34 +0000, Dim Stewart ... another brain damaged,
troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE, blathered again:


> Chyyyyna...squandering the worlds resources.....

TYPICAL senile ASSHOLE ...feeding the dumbest crazy troll around! <tsk>

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:29:31 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 17:24:37 +0000, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:


> I have never thrown away so much chinese junk....never did that with jap
> stuff....

You seem to be addicted to junk, troll-feeding senile ASSHOLE!

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:30:12 AMJan 3
to
On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 04:31:12 +1100, "Fred", better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:


> Inductors don't usually explode.

Don't you want to blow yourself up, you useless 86-year-old trolling senile
pest? Or at least swallow your Nembutal, useless cretin?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
"Auto-contradictor Rod is back! (in the KF)"
MID: <XnsA97071CF43...@85.214.115.223>

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:30:33 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:57:14 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> In a thread in another group Baofeng radios came up for discussion.

Doing again what you can do best: sucking of the unwashed Scottish wanker,
you disgusting senile sucker of troll cock?

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:31:17 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 15:38:08 -0500, Witherspoon, another mentally deficient,
troll-feeding, senile ASSHOLE, blathered:


> I no longer trust anything Chinese that has to have power running
> through it.

Yeah, senile moron, pour your heart out to the trolling wanker and attention
whore! Fucking stupid senile morons! LOL

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:32:07 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:51:52 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> Didn't grow up in the '50s, did you? The Chinese can and do make high
> quality products as well as cheap junk.
>
> What puzzles me is a lot of the cheap junk requires almost as much work
> as the good stuff.

You'd better worry about all the junk you senile twits keep producing on
these groups on a daily basis, lowbrowwoman!

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:34:26 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 19:14:22 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> I should buy a Baofeng to play with.

Nope, blabbermouth, you should just STFU ...for good!

Peeler

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:35:26 AMJan 3
to
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 21:47:05 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> Anything on 220 where you are? I sort of forget that even exists.

You mean blathering on Usenet is not yet ENOUGH for you, senile gossip? LOL

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 10:04:10 AMJan 3
to
In article <i5d0hf...@mid.individual.net>, bow...@montana.com
says...
I live near the middle of NC. I have a low power 220 repeater on the
air. An old VHF Engineering repeater that is around 30 years old if not
older.

There are a few others around. They are not in HT range,but I can use
them with the transceiver in the house and a dipole about 20 feet off
the ground.

RheillyPhoull

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:00:17 PMJan 3
to
How nice to see you two are still getting along.

Phil Allison

unread,
Jan 3, 2021, 7:23:44 PMJan 3
to
Witherspoon wrote:


>
> I no longer trust anything Chinese that has to have power running
> through it. I ordered six so-called "20 amp" 12-24 VDC LED dimmers a
> month ago. Out of the two I tried, one burned up within minutes at only
> 5 amps at 12VDC, and the other burned after several days running the
> same.

** What voltage did you have going into the dimmer??

It should be the SAME as the rated voltage the LED lamps.



..... Phil

Peeler

unread,
Jan 4, 2021, 4:41:32 AMJan 4
to
On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 08:00:07 +0800, RheillyPhoull wrote:


>> TYPICAL senile ASSHOLE ...feeding the dumbest crazy troll around! <tsk>
>>
> How nice to see you two are still getting along.

You Australian smartasses really are "special". <BG>

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 4, 2021, 1:41:53 PMJan 4
to
The Russian FED 4 camera was extremely robust, even after me, and my dad before me, dropped it many many times on rocks.

RheillyPhoull

unread,
Jan 4, 2021, 7:21:47 PMJan 4
to
Oh Peeler I think you are gorgeous when grumpy

rbowman

unread,
Jan 4, 2021, 9:32:18 PMJan 4
to
On 01/04/2021 11:41 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> The Russian FED 4 camera was extremely robust, even after me, and my dad
> before me, dropped it many many times on rocks.

Russians make robust items even if they're not the latest technology.
Kalashnikovs, for example.

Peeler

unread,
Jan 5, 2021, 4:17:25 AMJan 5
to
On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 08:21:37 +0800, RheillyPhoull, another typical senile
Australian twit, blathered:

>> You Australian smartasses really are "special". <BG>
>>
> Oh Peeler I think you are gorgeous when grumpy

Idiot!

Peeler

unread,
Jan 5, 2021, 4:21:49 AMJan 5
to
On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 19:32:41 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> Russians make robust items even if they're not the latest technology.
> Kalashnikovs, for example.

Let's just hope that at least THEY don't produce robust endlessly blabbering
bigmouths of your kind, you endlessly bullshitting and gossiping senile
Yankietard!

Roger Hayter

unread,
Jan 5, 2021, 6:46:46 AMJan 5
to
There's a lot of it about.

--
Roger Hayter


Peeler

unread,
Jan 5, 2021, 8:24:37 AMJan 5
to
On 5 Jan 2021 11:46:40 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:


>>>> You Australian smartasses really are "special". <BG>
>>>>
>>> Oh Peeler I think you are gorgeous when grumpy
>>
>> Idiot!
>
> There's a lot of it about.

That's obviously why YOU feel at home here! <BG>

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 5, 2021, 2:16:14 PMJan 5
to
I think you could destroy another car if you crashed a Lada into it. All this crumple zone namby pamby shit they put into cars nowadays, it just makes the repair bill higher.

rbowman

unread,
Jan 5, 2021, 9:49:07 PMJan 5
to
Shitty mileage but a BTR-80 would make a great RV.

Peeler

unread,
Jan 6, 2021, 4:26:01 AMJan 6
to
On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 19:49:29 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:


> Shitty mileage but a BTR-80 would make a great RV.

Are you at it again, you trollcock-sucking senile piece of Yankie shit?

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 6, 2021, 1:01:32 PMJan 6
to
Indeed, you don't need to find a road to where you're camping. You make the road. Then Americans would finally be correct when they said "make a right".

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 6, 2021, 1:15:15 PMJan 6
to
On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 22:28:05 -0000, Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
> =========================
>> An LED striplight. After 1 month, BANG! A puff of smoke and a hole blown in the side of it. What I think used to be an inductor has exploded with enough force to rupture the casing. Funny thing is, it continued to work for a day, and now works if I tap it.
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/U1AxIet.jpg
>
> ** That brown goop all over the place has gone bad.
>
> Light yellow when new, it slowly goes brown with heat and turns a conductive.
>
> Can easily cause explosions just like you have.
>
> You can Google the topic.
>
>
> .... Phil

I guess they've never heard of warranties. They are refusing to replace it. Right....

Phil Allison

unread,
Jan 6, 2021, 2:42:54 PMJan 6
to
Commander Kinsey wrote:
=======================

> >> https://i.imgur.com/U1AxIet.jpg
> >
> > ** That brown goop all over the place has gone bad.
> >
> > Light yellow when new, it slowly goes brown with heat and turns a conductive.
> >
> > Can easily cause explosions just like you have.
> >
> > You can Google the topic.
> >
>
> I guess they've never heard of warranties. They are refusing to replace it. Right....
>

** There is no consumer warranty on items YOU import from China.

Importers, businesses or individuals, take all risks onto themselves and are responsible for any harm too.

People reselling unsafe Chinese electrical items have got in big trouble here in Australia.


...... Phil

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 8, 2021, 1:54:03 PMJan 8
to
On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 19:42:50 -0000, Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
> =======================
>
>> >> https://i.imgur.com/U1AxIet.jpg
>> >
>> > ** That brown goop all over the place has gone bad.
>> >
>> > Light yellow when new, it slowly goes brown with heat and turns a conductive.
>> >
>> > Can easily cause explosions just like you have.
>> >
>> > You can Google the topic.
>>
>> I guess they've never heard of warranties. They are refusing to replace it. Right....
>
> ** There is no consumer warranty on items YOU import from China.

I didn't import it. They exported it.

I would say I'd imported something if I arranged for it to get here, eg. going to America, buying a car, then shipping it back.

> Importers, businesses or individuals, take all risks onto themselves and are responsible for any harm too.

China has it's own selling regulations they have to adhere to. And credit card chargebacks work on foreign stuff too. At the very least I shall ensure he gets a black mark on his ebay account.

> People reselling unsafe Chinese electrical items have got in big trouble here in Australia.

They shouldn't have done, they didn't manufacture them. At the most they should have had to refund, then take it up with the Chinese seller.

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 8, 2021, 1:56:56 PMJan 8
to
On Sat, 02 Jan 2021 18:57:14 -0000, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> On 01/02/2021 10:32 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Their Li Ion batteries are 8 times less capacity than advertised, but
>> you moan and get them free.
>
> In a thread in another group Baofeng radios came up for discussion.
> There was one listed on eBay with a miraculous 18W output and a 8000 mAh
> battery. People on the ham forums were of the opinion a small, handheld
> transceiver might put out 18W of RF power for a few seconds



> before the melting plastic became annoying

This just made me snort my lemonade through my nose.

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 8, 2021, 2:32:36 PMJan 8
to
On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 19:42:50 -0000, Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
> =======================
>
>> >> https://i.imgur.com/U1AxIet.jpg
>> >
>> > ** That brown goop all over the place has gone bad.
>> >
>> > Light yellow when new, it slowly goes brown with heat and turns a conductive.
>> >
>> > Can easily cause explosions just like you have.
>> >
>> > You can Google the topic.
>>
>> I guess they've never heard of warranties. They are refusing to replace it. Right....
>
> ** There is no consumer warranty on items YOU import from China.

Actually, they shipped from the UK, and advertised it as a UK item. Just because the owner of the company lives in China doesn't make a difference. This was a UK to UK sale.

Phil Allison

unread,
Jan 8, 2021, 6:43:54 PMJan 8
to
Commander Kinsey wrote:
======================
> >> I guess they've never heard of warranties. They are refusing to replace it. Right....
> >
> > ** There is no consumer warranty on items YOU import from China.
> Actually, they shipped from the UK, and advertised it as a UK item. Just because the owner of the company lives in China doesn't make a difference. This was a UK to UK sale.


** So you can find the seller- right ?

The UK has strong consumer laws - why not use them ?


.... Phil

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 9, 2021, 2:05:35 PMJan 9
to
On Fri, 08 Jan 2021 23:43:51 -0000, Phil Allison <palli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
> ======================
>> >> I guess they've never heard of warranties. They are refusing to replace it. Right....
>> >
>> > ** There is no consumer warranty on items YOU import from China.
>> Actually, they shipped from the UK, and advertised it as a UK item. Just because the owner of the company lives in China doesn't make a difference. This was a UK to UK sale.
>
> ** So you can find the seller- right ?

Ebay has his registered address, and it's visible to me.

> The UK has strong consumer laws - why not use them ?

For £3.25? Not worth my bother taking someone to court over.

Phil Allison

unread,
Jan 9, 2021, 4:45:49 PMJan 9
to
Commander Kinsey wrote:
========================

> > ** So you can find the seller- right ?
> Ebay has his registered address, and it's visible to me.
> > The UK has strong consumer laws - why not use them ?
> For £3.25? Not worth my bother taking someone to court over.
>
** Have you left negative feedback yet ?



.... Phil

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jan 10, 2021, 1:11:41 PMJan 10
to
You can't leave feedback if it's over a couple of months, which is why the feedback system sux. It doesn't take account of things breaking later on.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
Jan 10, 2021, 1:27:39 PMJan 10
to
In article <op.0w0nh...@ryzen.lan>, CFKi...@military.org.jp
says...
>
> >> > ** So you can find the seller- right ?
> >> Ebay has his registered address, and it's visible to me.
> >> > The UK has strong consumer laws - why not use them ?
> >> For £3.25? Not worth my bother taking someone to court over.
> >>
> > ** Have you left negative feedback yet ?
>
> You can't leave feedback if it's over a couple of months, which is why the feedback system sux. It doesn't take account of things breaking later on.
>
>

I look on the feed back as to the seller. If they ship an item out in a
few days, the item is as described, and it is packed well enough not to
break in transit I give them good feed back. That is even if what I
bought is junk.

Say the dealer ships out an item and it is well packed and is bought as
new. The item arives in a short period of time and in good shape.
I then take the item out and after a day or two it falls apart. The
same item would have done it if I bought it at a local store. The
dealer still gets a 5 star rating. There is often a place to evaluate
the product and that is where I would rated the product as bad.

I have only give one or two dealers a bad feed back. One was when it
was not shipped for over 2 weeks after the exected delivery date. I
sent the seller a note about it. He sent it out two days later. It was
a radio with tubes in it. The box only had a few pages of news paper
and some crumbled up Christmas paper in it. Several of the tubes were
broken. I had to give very bad feed back because of that packing and
long delay.

I bought a used computer that was listed as refurbished. It looked
good,but would not boot up. I put in a hard drive I had and it booted
up. I tried to reinstall the operating system but it would not take.
Sent the seller an email and he sent me a new hard drive as we
discussed. I gave him a 5 star rating as he made the purchase right.
Things electronic can go bad at any time or get bashed around in the
shipping that is beyond the sellers control.

I have bought items from 2 seperate dealers and never received the
items. They were in the $ 20 range. Ebay refunded my money in 2 days
as neither had included a tracking number.

Michael Terrell

unread,
May 27, 2021, 8:57:34 PMMay 27
to
On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 2:16:28 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <i5btld...@mid.individual.net>, bow...@montana.com
> says...
> > > What makes you say they're doing that?
> > > I have never thrown away so much chinese junk....never did that with jap
> > > stuff....
> >
> > Didn't grow up in the '50s, did you? The Chinese can and do make high
> > quality products as well as cheap junk.
> >
> >
> I think Japan started putting out quality products to ship to the US
> when they ran out of all the American beer cans the GIs left over there
> from WW-2.

I thought that the aluminum can was introduced in the late '50s? (1858?) During WW-II they were made of steel. I rember Pepsi in steel cans in the early '60s.

Phil Allison

unread,
May 27, 2021, 11:14:01 PMMay 27
to
Ralph Mowery wrote:
=================
>
> > Didn't grow up in the '50s, did you? The Chinese can and do make high
> > quality products as well as cheap junk.
> >
> I think Japan started putting out quality products to ship to the US
> when they ran out of all the American beer cans the GIs left over there
> from WW-2.
>

** There were no beer drinking GIs in Japan during WW2.

Only starving prisoners ( mostly airman) who were treated abominably.
Some were subjected to horrific operations with no anesthetics - just for fun.

After the surrender, US occupying forces were ordered to treat Japanese well and never eat their scarce food.
Local officials, like town mayors, were reinstated and treated with respect.

Losing the war to US and their British and Australian allies was the best thing that ever happened to Japan.




..... Phil






Commander Kinsey

unread,
May 28, 2021, 1:52:29 PMMay 28
to
They're still made of either aren't they?

Michael Terrell

unread,
May 30, 2021, 12:45:13 PMMay 30
to
On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 1:52:29 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2021 01:57:31 +0100, Michael Terrell wrote:
> >
> > I thought that the aluminum can was introduced in the late '50s? (1958?) During WW-II they were made of steel. I remember Pepsi in steel cans in the early '60s.
> They're still made of either aren't they?

When was the last time that you saw a new, steel beer can?

Commander Kinsey

unread,
May 30, 2021, 1:01:56 PMMay 30
to
No idea, I brew my own. And the only commercial beer I've seen is in glass bottles or on draught.

Just checked my kitchen cupboard, tins of fruit, carrots, soup, and spaghetti, all steel. I'm guessing it's because aluminium is poisonous, one of the reasons I have a steel scuba tank.

Ralph Mowery

unread,
May 30, 2021, 1:26:08 PMMay 30
to
In article <op.037tl...@ryzen.lan>, C...@nospam.com says...
>
> Just checked my kitchen cupboard, tins of fruit, carrots, soup, and spaghetti, all steel. I'm guessing it's because aluminium is poisonous, one of the reasons I have a steel scuba tank.
>
>

My thinking is that steel is less expensive than aluminum. I also
think that some things may attack the aluminum and steel differently.

One thing you will notice is there are very few beer or any other
carbonated drinks outside of the soft drinks that are in the plastic
containers. Reason it that the plastic is the crbonation will penetrate
the containers and the beer will go 'flat'. Look at all the soft drink
2 and 3 liter bottles on the store shelvs and you will see that some
seem to have more in than others. The ones that seem to have the lesser
ammount in them are the fresher ones. Reason is the carbonation pushes
the sides out and the level appears to drop. As the carbonation goes
out the sides come back in and pushes the level up.


Andy Burns

unread,
May 30, 2021, 3:23:40 PMMay 30
to
Ralph Mowery wrote:

> C...@nospam.com wrote:
>
>> Just checked my kitchen cupboard, tins of fruit, carrots, soup,
>> and spaghetti, all steel. I'm guessing it's because aluminium is
>> poisonous, one of the reasons I have a steel scuba tank.
>
> My thinking is that steel is less expensive than aluminum. I also
> think that some things may attack the aluminum and steel differently.

Aluminium drinks cans have a thin plastic lining, so the contents don't
touch the aluminium.

<https://youtu.be/xBQEnVR7y9k>

Michael Terrell

unread,
May 31, 2021, 2:24:03 AMMay 31
to
On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 1:01:56 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Steel is a lot stronger than aluminum. OTOH, it cost more to ship. Aluminum and steel cans both have an internal coating to prevent corrosion. Tomatoes would quickly eat through an unlined steel can. That is why they have a thin, tin plating. Hence their name of 'Tin Cans'.
When I was stationed at Ft. Greely, Alaska in the '70s, the aluminum soda cans were so thin that you could rip them apart with your bare hands. They tore like a sheet of paper. They weighed about 1/3 of a regular soda can. This was done, since they were canned in Seattle, and trucked into Alaska. The semis could only use short trailers, so shipping costs were high.

Commander Kinsey

unread,
May 31, 2021, 1:34:59 PMMay 31
to
On Mon, 31 May 2021 07:24:00 +0100, Michael Terrell <terrell....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 1:01:56 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 May 2021 17:45:11 +0100, Michael Terrell wrote:
>>
>> > On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 1:52:29 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> >> On Fri, 28 May 2021 01:57:31 +0100, Michael Terrell wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> > I thought that the aluminum can was introduced in the late '50s? (1958?) During WW-II they were made of steel. I remember Pepsi in steel cans in the early '60s.
>> >> They're still made of either aren't they?
>> >
>> > When was the last time that you saw a new, steel beer can?
>> No idea, I brew my own. And the only commercial beer I've seen is in glass bottles or on draught.
>>
>> Just checked my kitchen cupboard, tins of fruit, carrots, soup, and spaghetti, all steel. I'm guessing it's because aluminium is poisonous, one of the reasons I have a steel scuba tank.
>
> Steel is a lot stronger than aluminum.

Another reason I have a steel scuba tank, I can get 50% more air pressure in it for a 50% longer dive. Plus they weigh more, so have neutral buoyancy. Aluminium divers need to carry weights, and some of them are stupid enough to buy "rocks" instead of just using natural rocks which you can drop anywhere underwater at no cost.

> OTOH, it cost more to ship.

Compared to the weight of the contents, I doubt it's much.

> Aluminum and steel cans both have an internal coating to prevent corrosion. Tomatoes would quickly eat through an unlined steel can. That is why they have a thin, tin plating. Hence their name of 'Tin Cans'.

But if that fails, by say denting the can, you get rust from one and aluminium oxide from the other. The second one is poisonous.

Commander Kinsey

unread,
May 31, 2021, 1:42:54 PMMay 31
to
On Sun, 30 May 2021 18:26:04 +0100, Ralph Mowery <rmow...@charter.net> wrote:

> In article <op.037tl...@ryzen.lan>, C...@nospam.com says...
>>
>> Just checked my kitchen cupboard, tins of fruit, carrots, soup, and spaghetti, all steel. I'm guessing it's because aluminium is poisonous, one of the reasons I have a steel scuba tank.
>
> My thinking is that steel is less expensive than aluminum.

That's certainly the case with a bicycle, enough aluminium to make a bike strength frame costs way more than enough steel. but it never rusts. My bike is from 30 years ago.

Commander Kinsey

unread,
May 31, 2021, 1:43:15 PMMay 31
to
Maybe the beer can eat the plastic?

Jasen Betts

unread,
May 31, 2021, 7:00:49 PMMay 31
to
On 2021-05-31, Michael Terrell <terrell....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 1:01:56 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 May 2021 17:45:11 +0100, Michael Terrell wrote:
>>
>> > On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 1:52:29 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> >> On Fri, 28 May 2021 01:57:31 +0100, Michael Terrell wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> > I thought that the aluminum can was introduced in the late '50s? (1958?) During WW-II they were made of steel. I remember Pepsi in steel cans in the early '60s.
>> >> They're still made of either aren't they?
>> >
>> > When was the last time that you saw a new, steel beer can?
>> No idea, I brew my own. And the only commercial beer I've seen is in glass bottles or on draught.
>>
>> Just checked my kitchen cupboard, tins of fruit, carrots, soup, and spaghetti, all steel. I'm guessing it's because aluminium is poisonous, one of the reasons I have a steel scuba tank.
>
> Steel is a lot stronger than aluminum. OTOH, it cost more to ship.
>Aluminum and steel cans both have an internal coating to prevent
>corrosion. Tomatoes would quickly eat through an unlined steel can.
>That is why they have a thin, tin plating. Hence their name of 'Tin
>Cans'.

If you look up "tin" in a dictionary one of the meanings is tin
plated sheet steel. This is why they are called tin cans.
The tin coating is only exposed on the outside, The inside is
varnished or laminated.

--
Jasen.

Commander Kinsey

unread,
Jun 3, 2021, 2:30:48 PMJun 3
to
Ah, so a con then, like "gold taps" just having a plating.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages