Splattering solder into eye?

Peter Hucker

Oct 25, 2008, 11:57:30 AM10/25/08
Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?

Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

WW

Oct 25, 2008, 2:18:23 PM10/25/08

"Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message

Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!

Peter Hucker

Oct 25, 2008, 2:24:17 PM10/25/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW <cc...@bresnan.net> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering
>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my
>> eye. How bad is it?
>

> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!

It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time not one piece has hit my eye.

If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more than say a fly whacking into it while cycling?

Loose or missing nuts. Spank the monkey (Y/N)?

Paul E. Schoen

Oct 25, 2008, 2:57:44 PM10/25/08

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW <cc...@bresnan.net> wrote:
>
>> "Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering
>>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in
>>> my
>>> eye. How bad is it?
>>
>> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
>
> It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering
> iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time
> not one piece has hit my eye.
>
> If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so
> wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more
> than say a fly whacking into it while cycling?

I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and
when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even
heard it sizzle. Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the
eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out.
Since then, I always wear glasses. Of course, now I also wear them so I can
see what I'm doing.

You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not
cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out.

Paul

Peter Hucker

Oct 25, 2008, 3:08:04 PM10/25/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:57:44 +0100, Paul E. Schoen <pst...@smart.net> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW <cc...@bresnan.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
>>
>> It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering
>> iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time
>> not one piece has hit my eye.
>>
>> If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so
>> wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more
>> than say a fly whacking into it while cycling?
>
> I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and
> when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even
> heard it sizzle.

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

> Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the
> eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out.

You mean it stayed there for a while? If it hits the skin, it usually knocks straight off.

> Since then, I always wear glasses.

Did it hurt?

> Of course, now I also wear them so I can see what I'm doing.

:-)

> You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not
> cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out.

I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff hitting a cyclist's eyes.

Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.

William Sommerwerck

Oct 25, 2008, 4:58:04 PM10/25/08
> Do the eyelids not automatically close?

Yes -- right on the piece of solder.

The Phantom

Oct 25, 2008, 5:40:37 PM10/25/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:57:30 +0100, "Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote:

>Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?

A friend, repairing a console TV that was too heavy to move by himself, got
on his back under the TV and was replacing an electrolytic when a drop of
solder fell into his eye. Ouch!

It didn't hit the cornea, but it stuck to the white. In extreme pain he
drive himself to the hospital. It had no lasting effect on his vision, but
I suspect that had it landed on the cornea there would have been serious
damage. Safety glasses are the order of the day in a situation like that!

In ordinary, upright, circumstances I've never had a drop of solder even
hit me in the face. But I learned early that when unsoldering a joint
where wires may be under tension, they may sling solder when the solder
melts. I pay attention to that possibility and restrain the wires.

And, of course, wearing glasses of some kind is the prudent thing to do.

WW

Oct 25, 2008, 6:20:50 PM10/25/08

> -I was trying out a new motor cycle on the way home from work and did not
> have my riding gear. Only going to go around the block. A speck of
> something entered my eye. It had to be surgically removed. This was
> painfull until removed. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES.

Anthony Fremont

Oct 25, 2008, 6:51:03 PM10/25/08
Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder
> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face,
> but never in my eye. How bad is it?

I think you'll find a much larger set of people that have picked up a
soldering iron from the wrong end. Interestingly, you'll find that they
probably never did it again though.

Matt J. McCullar

Oct 25, 2008, 10:27:03 PM10/25/08

> I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff
hitting a cyclist's eyes.

It happens. Some states have laws for motorcyclists requiring them to wear
eye protection while riding. I've worn eyeglasses for many years, so I've
never had anything hit me in the eye while riding a bicycle. But when it
does, it's going to be at the worst possible time.

Once I was leaning over the back of an open television set to squirt some
tuner cleaner into it. Somehow that spray liquid shot back out through
another hole in the mechanical tuner and managed to crawl over my glasses
and hit me right smack in the eye. Yeah, it stung a little, but I did
manage to wash it all out right away.

Solder joints are mysterious creatures. One that looks perfectly normal can
literally explode when touched by a soldering iron. I sure wouldn't want a
piece of hot solder, no matter how small, to hit me in MY eye. Stick a
soldering iron into a head of lettuce if you want to know what it sounds
like.

William Sommerwerck

Oct 26, 2008, 6:28:55 AM10/26/08
> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!

It's hard to believe, but I'm actually seeing the English language's
pronunciation and spelling change. For example, Americans are starting to
adopt the British pronunciations of certain words, principally by changing
the stressed syllable.

I also notice that many people have decided that "lose" is spelled "loose".

Though "lose" and "loose" are related words, they have distinct meanings.

WW

Oct 26, 2008, 8:45:03 AM10/26/08

"William Sommerwerck" <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote in message

William... I held the O button too long. Should read what I type before
sending.
I wondered who would catch this. WW

Claude Hopper

Oct 26, 2008, 9:11:25 AM10/26/08
Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?

No but I used to get the smoke from frying rosin in my eye when I used
to build short wave radios many years ago. Burns like nothing else.

--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥

Claude Hopper

Oct 26, 2008, 9:12:38 AM10/26/08
No but I used to get the smoke from frying rosin in my eye when I used
to build short wave radios many years ago. Burns like nothing else.

Safety glasses don't help for that.

PeterD

Oct 26, 2008, 9:16:23 AM10/26/08

But...

Maybe his eye *will* fall out?

(and he may want it to if he gets molten solder in it!)

Peter Hucker

Oct 26, 2008, 11:58:14 AM10/26/08

I'm thinking more of minute amounts that splatter when melting fresh solder from the reel. Maybe it's only flux?

A man is a person who will pay two dollars for a one-dollar item he wants.
A woman will pay one dollar for a two-dollar item that she doesn't want.

Peter Hucker

Oct 26, 2008, 11:59:36 AM10/26/08

At what speed? I was talking about a bicycle.

--

Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.

Peter Hucker

Oct 26, 2008, 12:00:41 PM10/26/08

I have done that three times. I let go immediately and the pain did not continue, I just ended up with some hard skin on my fingers for a few days.

The longest word in German is DONAUDAMPFSCHIFFAHRTSELEKTRIZITAETENHAUPTBETRIEBSWERKBAUUNTERBEAMTENGESELLSCHAFT, "the club for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services" (name of a pre-war club in Vienna), according to 1996 Guinness.

Peter Hucker

Oct 26, 2008, 12:12:25 PM10/26/08

You could have used a full face gas mask. Try an army surplus store.

/\
__ \/ __
\_\_\/\/_/_/
_\_\/_/_
__/_/\_\__
/_/ /\/\ \_\
/\
\/

Peter Hucker

Oct 26, 2008, 12:29:55 PM10/26/08

No they haven't. They just write the wrong one.

A man is driving down a deserted stretch of highway when he notices a
sign out of the corner of his eye....It reads:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
10 MILES
He thinks this is a figment of his imagination and drives on without
second thought....
Soon he sees another sign which reads:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
5 MILES
Suddenly he begins to realize that these signs are for real and drives
past a third sign saying:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
NEXT RIGHT
His curiosity gets the best of him and he pulls into the drive. On the
far side of the parking lot is a stone building with a small sign next
to the door reading:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
He climbs the steps and rings the bell. The door is answered by a nun in
a long black habit who asks, 'What may we do for you my son?' He
answers, 'I saw your signs along the highway and was interested in
possibly doing business....'
'Very well my son. Please follow me.' He is led through many winding
passages and is soon quite disoriented. The nun stops at a closed door
and tells the man, 'Please knock on this door.'
He does so and another nun in a long habit, holding a tin cup answers
the door... This nun instructs, 'Please place $100 in the cup then go
through the large wooden door at the end of the hallway.'
He puts $100 in the cup, eagerly trots down the hall and slips through
the door pulling it shut behind him.
The door locks, and he finds himself back in the parking lot facing
another sign:
GO IN PEACE.
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN SCREWED BY THE SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS.

Peter Hucker

Oct 26, 2008, 12:41:58 PM10/26/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:58:04 +0100, William Sommerwerck <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> Do the eyelids not automatically close?
>
> Yes -- right on the piece of solder.

Your reactions aren't up to scratch then. They're supposed to close while the solder is flying towards you.

(( _______
_______ /\O O\
/O /\ / \ \
/ O /O \ / O \O____O\ ))
((/_____O/ \\ /O /
\O O\ / \ / O /
\O O\ O/ \/_____O/
\O____O\/ )) ))
((

Peter Hucker

Oct 26, 2008, 12:43:51 PM10/26/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 02:27:03 -0000, Matt J. McCullar <mccu...@flash.net> wrote:

>> I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff
> hitting a cyclist's eyes.
>>

> It happens. Some states have laws for motorcyclists

MOTORcyclists travel faster.

> requiring them to wear
> eye protection while riding. I've worn eyeglasses for many years, so I've
> never had anything hit me in the eye while riding a bicycle. But when it
> does, it's going to be at the worst possible time.
>
> Once I was leaning over the back of an open television set to squirt some
> tuner cleaner into it. Somehow that spray liquid shot back out through
> another hole in the mechanical tuner and managed to crawl over my glasses
> and hit me right smack in the eye. Yeah, it stung a little, but I did
> manage to wash it all out right away.
>
> Solder joints are mysterious creatures. One that looks perfectly normal can
> literally explode when touched by a soldering iron. I sure wouldn't want a
> piece of hot solder, no matter how small, to hit me in MY eye. Stick a
> soldering iron into a head of lettuce if you want to know what it sounds
> like.

I'm not even going to consider how you might accidentally throw the soldering IRON into your eye!

Why do they rate a movie "R" for "adult language?"
The only people I hear using that language are teenagers.

ehsjr

Oct 26, 2008, 7:52:14 PM10/26/08
Peter Hucker wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:58:04 +0100, William Sommerwerck <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>>Do the eyelids not automatically close?
>>
>>Yes -- right on the piece of solder.
>

> Your reactions aren't up to scratch then. They're supposed to close while the solder is flying towards you.

How do you figure that, without knowing the velocity
of the solder - or even whether one sees and reacts to
it?

And, as to the idea you posted that a bicycle rider can close
his eyelids fast enough - ridiculous. Even an occasional
rider can easily hit 40 mph or more downhill, the object
can be launched from a car's tire at high speed, a bug
may come from the side etc.

You have no way of knowing whether his - or your - reactions
are fast enough for the eyelids to protect from solder splatter
or airborne objects/bugs/whatever while bicycle riding, because
you don't have any data on the speed at which the object
approaches the eye or the distance it must travel or even
whether the conditions allow the eye to detect the approaching
object. Sheesh! Even people walking have gotten stuff in their
eyes, blown by a gust of wind or whatever.

Ed

Paul E. Schoen

Oct 26, 2008, 10:31:38 PM10/26/08

"ehsjr" <eh...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

Methinks we may be dealing with a troll here, but eye protection while
operating a vehicle, whether motorized or not, is important for maintaining
control as well as protection from eye injury. The eye rapidly repairs
corneal abrasions, and I have heard that it is the fastest-healing part of
the body. Here is an interesting link:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3225/is_1_70/ai_n6159408

You are probably going to be injured much more seriously by losing control
of your vehicle, rather than the direct result of a foreign object hitting
the eye. It may be unlikely that both eyes would be compromised at the same
time, but it could happen.

If you get steel slivers in your eye, you can use an eye magnet:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/01/800lb_magnet_tr.html

And, your government grant dollars at work:
http://www.1ad.army.mil/Safety/Vision%20Conservation%20Program/EYE%20PROTECTION.pdf

More on eye safety:
http://www.eyehealthillinois.org/eyesafety/index.html

Paul

Message has been deleted

davew

Oct 27, 2008, 9:13:30 AM10/27/08

"Claude Hopper" <boobooil...@roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
>>

> No but I used to get the smoke from frying rosin in my eye when I used
> to build short wave radios many years ago. Burns like nothing else.
>
> Safety glasses don't help for that.

That's why we insist our students wear safety goggles when soldering..

ian field

Oct 27, 2008, 1:59:32 PM10/27/08

"Meat Plow" <me...@petitmorte.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:31:38 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"
> <pst...@smart.net>wrote:

>>> How do you figure that, without knowing the velocity
>>> of the solder - or even whether one sees and reacts to
>>> it?
>>>
>>> And, as to the idea you posted that a bicycle rider can close
>>> his eyelids fast enough - ridiculous. Even an occasional
>>> rider can easily hit 40 mph or more downhill, the object
>>> can be launched from a car's tire at high speed, a bug
>>> may come from the side etc.
>>>
>>> You have no way of knowing whether his - or your - reactions
>>> are fast enough for the eyelids to protect from solder splatter
>>> or airborne objects/bugs/whatever while bicycle riding, because
>>> you don't have any data on the speed at which the object
>>> approaches the eye or the distance it must travel or even
>>> whether the conditions allow the eye to detect the approaching
>>> object. Sheesh! Even people walking have gotten stuff in their
>>> eyes, blown by a gust of wind or whatever.
>>
>>Methinks we may be dealing with a troll here,
>
> CHA CHING!!!
>
> Peter Hucker, one of Usenet's most prolific trolls.

PHucker spends most of his time on alt.binaries.chatter - his favourite
topic is bragging that he goes about his life without regard for rules or
laws, he seems to have branched out into net-kopping on the sci groups
lately.

Peter Hucker

Oct 27, 2008, 2:19:06 PM10/27/08
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 06:56:50 -0000, Meat Plow <me...@petitmorte.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:31:38 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"
> <pst...@smart.net>wrote:

>>> How do you figure that, without knowing the velocity
>>> of the solder - or even whether one sees and reacts to
>>> it?
>>>
>>> And, as to the idea you posted that a bicycle rider can close
>>> his eyelids fast enough - ridiculous. Even an occasional
>>> rider can easily hit 40 mph or more downhill, the object
>>> can be launched from a car's tire at high speed, a bug
>>> may come from the side etc.
>>>
>>> You have no way of knowing whether his - or your - reactions
>>> are fast enough for the eyelids to protect from solder splatter
>>> or airborne objects/bugs/whatever while bicycle riding, because
>>> you don't have any data on the speed at which the object
>>> approaches the eye or the distance it must travel or even
>>> whether the conditions allow the eye to detect the approaching
>>> object. Sheesh! Even people walking have gotten stuff in their
>>> eyes, blown by a gust of wind or whatever.
>>
>> Methinks we may be dealing with a troll here,
>

> CHA CHING!!!
>
> Peter Hucker, one of Usenet's most prolific trolls.
>

> Nothing wrong with a little trolling under the right circumstances but
> Peter takes it to the extreme.

I asked a simple question. Is asking a question now considered troling?

If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers.

Peter Hucker

Oct 27, 2008, 2:20:27 PM10/27/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:52:14 -0000, ehsjr <eh...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote:

> Peter Hucker wrote:

>>> Yes -- right on the piece of solder.
>>

>> Your reactions aren't up to scratch then. They're supposed to close while the solder is flying towards you.
>>

> How do you figure that, without knowing the velocity
> of the solder - or even whether one sees and reacts to
> it?

Experience. I've virtually never had anything hit my eyeball. But have often had things hit my closed eye.

> And, as to the idea you posted that a bicycle rider can close
> his eyelids fast enough - ridiculous. Even an occasional
> rider can easily hit 40 mph or more downhill, the object
> can be launched from a car's tire at high speed, a bug
> may come from the side etc.

Perhaps. But it hasn't happened to me. If a car is overtaking and throwing up stuff, I tend to squint my eyes in advance!

> You have no way of knowing whether his - or your - reactions
> are fast enough for the eyelids to protect from solder splatter
> or airborne objects/bugs/whatever while bicycle riding, because
> you don't have any data on the speed at which the object
> approaches the eye or the distance it must travel or even
> whether the conditions allow the eye to detect the approaching
> object. Sheesh! Even people walking have gotten stuff in their
> eyes, blown by a gust of wind or whatever.

Dust perhaps, but not large enough objects to cause damage.

It seems a farm boy accidentally overturned his wagon load of corn. The farmer who lived nearby heard the noise.
"Hey Willis!!" the farmer yelled. "Forget your troubles. Come in with us. Then I'll help you get the wagon up."
"That's mighty nice of you, " Willis answered, "but I don't think Pa would like me to."
"Aw, come on," the farmer insisted.
"Well okay," the boy finally agreed, and added, "But Pa won't like it."
After a hearty dinner, Willis thanked his host. "I feel a lot better now, but I know Pa is going to be real upset."
"Don't be foolish !" the neighbor said with a smile. "By the way, where is he?"
"Under the wagon."

Peter Hucker

Oct 27, 2008, 2:21:35 PM10/27/08

Aly

Nov 2, 2008, 4:40:32 PM11/2/08
"Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering
> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my
> eye. How bad is it?

Wear glasses. I do.

All of this talk of laser-eye-surgery. Yeah right!! Like I need that.
Doesn't protect your eyes from fast moving projectiles and springs. Mine
have saved me time and time again.

GlenB

Nov 2, 2008, 10:06:04 PM11/2/08

"Claude Hopper" <boobooil...@roadrunner.com> wrote in message

> No but I used to get the smoke from frying rosin in my eye when I used
> to build short wave radios many years ago. Burns like nothing else.
>
> Safety glasses don't help for that.
>
> --
> Claude Hopper :)
>
> ? ? ¥

Safety glasses don't help with rosin smoke but smoke/fume absorbers do.
Rosin fumes do more than irritate your eyes too. If you are around rosin
smoke on a regular basis, you really should consider getting one. You can
get a Weller WSA350 desktop filter for under $50. Your eyes and lungs will
thank you. I don't do much soldering on a regular basis, but if I had to
wear eye protection daily I'd probably opt for a face shield. The glasses
impede vision too much for me. Besides, it's tough wearing prescription
glasses under safety glasses.

I've burned myself plenty of times with electronics solder and improperly
placed irons, but the worst incident I can remember has to be related to a
tight crawl space and copper water pipe. I got lucky that day and only
managed to burn my lower eyelid a little. I guess in the grand scheme of
things the possibility of burning the house down because I can't see through
the safety glasses outweighs the possibility of losing sight in an eye.

GlenB
www.all-spec.com

Peter Hucker

Nov 3, 2008, 12:58:33 PM11/3/08

On the subject of glasses, do you ever notice a reflection in them? Do your eyes ever get distracted by dirt on the glass? Do you ever get annoyed that you can see the rim when you look to the right or left? I'd go for contact lenses or perhaps laser surgery, then wear safety specs if I felt the need.

I got to thinking about my divorce the other day. (Well, not like
it's ever far from my thoughts.) And I had the thought that
eventually goes through every couple's head at least once in
a relationship: "What did I ever see in you?"

We argued about everything. There just couldn't have been
two people more incompatible.

Just as an example. When we decided we wanted a child,
we discussed videotaping the event. She wanted to videotape
the birth.

*I*, on the other hand, wanted to videotape the conception.

Peter Hucker

Nov 3, 2008, 1:37:11 PM11/3/08

There must be some glasses that don't impede vision. Wrap around type? Something skiiers might wear?

A penguin had to take his car for engine repair.
The mechanic told the penguin to leave his car with him for about two hours, to find out whats wrong.
The penguin goes across the street to a grocery store, climbs into a freezer and eats vanilla ice cream.
When the two hours was up the penguin went back to the garage to find out what happened to his car.
When the penguin entered the garage, the mechanic looked at him and said, "Looks like you blew a seal."

Aly

Nov 3, 2008, 3:26:22 PM11/3/08
"Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:40:32 -0000, Aly
<sf333ddf@sfsss'=-3498hfn2nmdf0xdh3222a]].c> wrote:

>On the subject of glasses, do you ever notice a reflection in them? Do
>your eyes ever get distracted by dirt on >the glass? Do you ever get
>annoyed that you can see the rim when you look to the right or left? I'd
>go for >contact lenses or perhaps laser surgery, then wear safety specs if
>I felt the need.

Erm, actually no. I've had glasses all of my life.

Yes, from the sounds of things, I think it's probably best that you don't
wear them.

geoff

Nov 30, 2008, 10:22:50 PM11/30/08
Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder
> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face,
> but never in my eye. How bad is it?

Try it and see !

It hurts slightly more if you wear glasses and have to pay for new lenses.

geoff

geoff

Nov 30, 2008, 10:24:16 PM11/30/08
William Sommerwerck wrote:
>> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
>
> It's hard to believe, but I'm actually seeing the English language's
> pronunciation and spelling change. For example, Americans are
> starting to adopt the British pronunciations of certain words,
> principally by changing the stressed syllable.

Well that can only be an improvement. Now for the misuse of words to be
addressed...

geoff

geoff

Nov 30, 2008, 10:25:38 PM11/30/08
Anthony Fremont wrote:
> Peter Hucker wrote:
>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder
>> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face,
>> but never in my eye. How bad is it?
>
> I think you'll find a much larger set of people that have picked up a
> soldering iron from the wrong end. Interestingly, you'll find that
> they probably never did it again though.

Holding it against your cheek to see if hot was a particularly dumb thing I
did one Monday morning. It was.

geoff

Peter Hucker

Dec 1, 2008, 1:40:18 PM12/1/08

Odd, I know someone who wears glasses and didn't have to get new lenses. What on earth are your glasses made of?

What does Michael Jackson like about twenty-eight year olds?
The fact that there are twenty of them.

Peter Hucker

Dec 1, 2008, 1:40:39 PM12/1/08

Ever had a glue gun fight?

Helpdesk: Click on the 'my computer' icon on the left of the screen.
Customer: Your left or my left?

geoff

Dec 1, 2008, 4:34:06 PM12/1/08
Peter Hucker wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 03:22:50 -0000, geoff <ge...@nospam-paf.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Hucker wrote:
>>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder
>>> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face,
>>> but never in my eye. How bad is it?
>>
>> Try it and see !
>>
>> It hurts slightly more if you wear glasses and have to pay for new
>> lenses.
>
> Odd, I know someone who wears glasses and didn't have to get new
> lenses. What on earth are your glasses made of?

Some sort of very expensive coated plasrtic ;-( . At least they are
replaceable !

geoff

Peter Hucker

Dec 2, 2008, 1:22:11 PM12/2/08

Expensive perhaps, but not good value. My colleague's glasses are coated plastic, but not the expensive kind.

A Scotsman and a Jew went to a restaurant.
After a hearty meal, the waitress came by with the inevitable check.
To the amazement of all, the Scotsman was heard to say, "I'll pay it!"
The next morning's newspaper carried the news item: "JEWISH VENTRILOQUIST FOUND MURDERED IN ALLEY".

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 17, 2016, 3:10:55 PM9/17/16

"WW" <cc...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

> "Peter Hucker" <no...@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering
>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my
>> eye. How bad is it?
>>
>> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines
>> who's left."
>
> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!

You need a pretty big blob to do permanent damage, but even a small one can
be painful.

Its something that happens sometimes - mine are usually on difficult solder
joints when salvaging parts, sometimes a solder joint spits as you heat it.

When harvesting components with a pencil blowtorch; the spitting can be
hotter - but I hold the board looking at it edgewise, the spitting goes
sideways and nowhere near my face.

Ron M.

Sep 18, 2016, 9:25:39 PM9/18/16
On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?
>
> --
> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com
>
> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

My opinion is I don't want to know what it feels like, ever. So I will continue wearing the glasses. YMMV.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2017, 4:54:26 AM11/22/17
Right, but most people don't learn from lecturers like you and reading stuff about safety and people bossing-around other people around.
These people only learn from experience.

jim.e...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2020, 4:16:15 PM6/10/20
I have to chime in. I was once in an eye unit for something different. I splashed oven cleaner in my eye - NOT FUN.

Well there was a guy in the same waiting area as me. He got hot solder in his eye. Let's just say that he wasn't having fun. Really wasn't having fun. Like, screaming and bright red face and eye.

soo-- I'll just wear eye protection

AK

Jun 13, 2020, 8:09:14 PM6/13/20
On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?
>
> --
> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com
>
> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

How are you managing to splatter solder that far?

Solder melts, not explodes.

Andy

Jasen Betts

Jun 13, 2020, 9:32:33 PM6/13/20
Here's one way:

Form a small ring in one lead of a a leaded part (like like a through
hole resistor, but this works best qith glass body diodes like IN4148)
Put a blob of solder over the ring

Now, hold the other lead with one hand (or in a vise), clean the tip
of the soldering iron and use it to and wipe off the excess solder
from the ring.

If you pluck the lead (like a guitar string) it wil spring back
flinging solder

--
Jasen.

Corvid

Jun 13, 2020, 9:52:10 PM6/13/20
On 06/13/2020 06:08 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2020-06-14, AK <scienti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker
>> wrote:
>>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder
>>> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and
>>> face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?
>>>
>> How are you managing to splatter solder that far?
>
> Here's one way:
>
> Form a small ring in one lead of a a leaded part (like like a through
> hole resistor, but this works best qith glass body diodes like
> IN4148) Put a blob of solder over the ring
>
> Now, hold the other lead with one hand (or in a vise), clean the tip
> of the soldering iron and use it to and wipe off the excess solder
> from the ring.
>
> If you pluck the lead (like a guitar string) it wil spring back
> flinging solder

I have a 132 oz. Blitz gas can that works similarly. I remove the outer
cap and pull the springy retractable spout up until it clicks into place
while flinging droplets into my face.

Michael_A_Terrell

Aug 17, 2020, 11:44:32 PM8/17/20
AK wrote:

> How are you managing to splatter solder that far?
>
> Solder melts, not explodes.

Only a fool would believe that.

I was re-soldering a lug on a tube socket of some Military surplus
when I was about 16. The bad joint was full of rosin that tossed the
solder about 18 inches and onto my bare thigh. It was summertime, and I
didn't expect it. It was too hot for pants, so I received a nasty burn
that took months to heal. It looked like someone had put out a cigar on
my skin. The burn was bigger than a US nickle.

I've had cheap rosin cored solder do similar, but not near as much
molten solder. I switched to Ersin Multicore in 1970 and never looked back.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Phil Hobbs

Aug 18, 2020, 11:34:52 AM8/18/20
On 2020-08-17 23:44, Michael_A_Terrell wrote:
> AK wrote:
>>
>> How are you managing to splatter solder that far?
>>
>> Solder melts, not explodes.
>

>    Only a fool would believe that.
>
>    I was re-soldering a lug on a tube socket of some Military surplus
> when I was about 16. The bad joint was full of rosin that tossed the
> solder about 18 inches and onto my bare thigh. It was summertime, and I
> didn't expect it. It was too hot for pants, so I received a nasty burn
> that took months to heal. It looked like someone had put out a cigar on
> my skin. The burn was bigger than a US nickle.
>
> I've had cheap rosin cored solder do similar, but not near as much
> molten solder. I switched to Ersin Multicore in 1970 and never looked back.

Maybe we can get into a my-favourite-editor argument about solder. ;)
I'm a Kester 44 man all the way--I have a lot of well-aged junkbox
parts, and RA flux is the bomb.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Michael_A_Terrell

Aug 18, 2020, 1:17:13 PM8/18/20
Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2020-08-17 23:44, Michael_A_Terrell wrote:
>> AK wrote:
>>>
>>> How are you managing to splatter solder that far?
>>>
>>> Solder melts, not explodes.
>>

>> Only a fool would believe that.
>>
>> I was re-soldering a lug on a tube socket of some Military surplus
>> when I was about 16. The bad joint was full of rosin that tossed the
>> solder about 18 inches and onto my bare thigh. It was summertime, and
>> I didn't expect it. It was too hot for pants, so I received a nasty
>> burn that took months to heal. It looked like someone had put out a
>> cigar on my skin. The burn was bigger than a US nickle.
>>
>> I've had cheap rosin cored solder do similar, but not near as much
>> molten solder. I switched to Ersin Multicore in 1970 and never looked
>> back.
>
> Maybe we can get into a my-favourite-editor argument about solder. ;)
> I'm a Kester 44 man all the way--I have a lot of well-aged junkbox
> parts, and RA flux is the bomb.

They used Kester at Cincinnati Electronics. I got into an argument with
the DCAS inspector. He insisted that Ersin didn't meet the contract
requirements. I brought i an empty spool to show him that it was QQ571
certified. It is also RA solder. I have .031" and .015" with multiple
flux cores. It wetted better than the Kester on old parts and rework.
Some people preferred the Alpha solder that Heathkit supplied with their
kits, because the like how the burning flux smelled. I was desperate
once and ad to buy some Oatey. They crap spitted and sputtered, as it
rolled off the joint you were trying to solder, leaving the work covered
in some plastic smelling flux.

I have almost ten pounds of Tin/Antimony solder. It did a beautiful job,
when it was all I had on hand to put together the 2" and 3" copper
plumbing for a TV transmitter. That job was a PITA. Some character had
repaired leaks from bad solder by brazing over leaks at irreplaceable
brass fittings that were almost 40 year sold.

Tim Podpora

Mar 11, 2023, 6:40:14 PM3/11/23
On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 11:57:30 AM UTC-4, Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?
> --
> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com
> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

I am the unfortunate person in this situation. I have gotten solder splash in my eye, right in the center of my pupil in my right eye. Let me tell you, it is not fun.

At my job, i solder capacitors onto parts that are wrapped in copper foil. we have to solder the ends of them also. after about 3 months of soldering hundreds of parts per day, I finally got solder splashed into my eye. I saw it fly at my eye, and when it hit, it had a darkening effect where the light was shadowed out for a quick second. Happened in April or May of 2022.

At first it stings, then it goes away after a few minutes. feels like someone poked you in the eye basically. It literally wasnt too bad at the time. I kept on working after it felt better and all was good. Went home and took a nap for an hour, then woke up and wiped my eyelid to clear up my eyes. Apparently, I still had the piece of solder in my eye. which scratched up my eye. That hurt 10x worse than the splash did. 3 days of a red eye followed, but then everything was fine. Fast forward to mid September and i get Covid. finally got rid of it early October. Had a cough the whole time, which were very hard coughs, harder than I've ever coughed before. 3 days after I was allowed to go back to work, I come home and take a nap for an hour. I woke up, and all of a sudden had double vision. I looked online and it looked like maybe i coughed so hard that i blew a blood vessel in my eye, so that's what i assumed it was. My right eye sees a distorted image. bad enough that when i look at peoples' faces, they look like Sloth from Goonies. Not his face, but the spacing of his eyes, where one is down and over from where it should be. Well days and weeks went by, and it got slightly better, so i assumed it in fact was a blood vessel. Then i started noticing a circle that showed up when i blinked. Then it hit me...that dot was exactly the same size as the solder that hit my eye. So it took about 6 months for the effect to happen. My guess is that it healed, and the distorted vision is because Im looking thru scar tissue.

Every straight line is wavy when seen thru my right eye. I see 2 of everything, but its not usually 2 objects unless its far away, its like every object has 2 edges around it, similar to using those old red and blue 3D glasses but without the colors. I can still read, but it takes longer to comprehend usually. For the most part, my left eye kinda takes over or overpowers a bit so i do see things mostly clear because of that, but its still a struggle. I have also noticed that my right eye does have a small spot that is a bit more blurry than the rest of the dot, so it will be interesting to see how it goes when i need an eye test to renew my drivers license in 3 years. I unfortunately did not report the injury to my job, but will be asking what i can do on Monday. Our human resources guy left and the old hr person took over again, but they are behind so i was waiting a bit to talk to her. But i had another situation come up with my pay so i have to talk to her anyways, so i figured i kill 2 birds with one stone. I doubt there is anything that I can do, but I did tell one person when it happened so i do have a witness of when it happened, and i did tell people what happened when my vision got distorted since it slowed down my soldering at my job since the capacitors are supposed to be soldered onto the part straight, and i cant see a straight line unless i close my right eye. I do use a magnifying glass now to block my face from the solder, but I hate wearing safety glasses, which was why I didn't report my injury in the first place, I was dumb, and should have reported it. Lesson learned. Hopefully, My job will end up paying for lasek surgery or something to correct it, if it can be corrected. I have not been to a doctor yet either, as funds have been really tight and my health insurance choice got messed up when i selected it last summer at work, so my insurance won't cover anything until I spend $5000 out of my pocket.

But yes, it definitely sucks. Wear eye protection or use a big magnifying glass when you solder.
Also, I want to correct the wording on the previous posts. I wouldn't consider solder to "explode" but it splatters from air bubbles in the solder, or if the flux is too cold sometimes. Closest thing I can think of is, similar to a balloon covered in shaving cream popping, and the shaving cream flies in every direction. Solder will indeed do that. Also, we use Lead free solder at my job if that matters.

But to all who read this, Follow safety rules and protect yourself if there are no rules in place. I almost got solder in my eye a second time but got lucky and blinked at the right time, so it hit my eyelid . I had forgotten to use my magnifying glass that day until that happened.

chuck

Mar 13, 2023, 10:38:11 AM3/13/23

> But to all who read this, Follow safety rules and protect yourself if there are no rules in place. I almost got solder in my eye a second time but got lucky and blinked at the right time, so it hit my eyelid . I had forgotten to use my magnifying glass that day until that happened.

The double vision is a surface distortion effect.

A faint shifted ghost also starts after staring at the screen too long
and too bright, so everyone must relax eyes into the distance frequently
30 s every hour to relax the eyes and turn down brightness to minimum
tolerated to endure use all day.

Charlie R

Apr 14, 2023, 10:03:32 AM4/14/23
Sat, 11 Mar 2023 15:40:11 -0800, Tim Podpora:

> On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 11:57:30 AM UTC-4, Peter Hucker wrote:
>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering
>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my
>> eye. How bad is it?
>> --
>> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
>> http://www.petersphotos.com Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine
>> who's right. War determines who's left."
>
> I am the unfortunate person in this situation. I have gotten solder
> splash in my eye, right in the center of my pupil in my right eye. Let
> me tell you, it is not fun.

[...]

Damn, that is really scary.

If you get any such accident, always go to doctor ASAP.

Bob F

Apr 30, 2023, 12:44:46 AM4/30/23
I had a high school science teacher who told a story about one of his
students was trying to measure the melting temp of a lead alloy and had
a thermometer blow up spraying liquid lead over his face. He was lucky -
he had glasses. This was of course telling up to wear our safety glasses.

whit3rd

Jun 17, 2023, 11:54:43 PM6/17/23
On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 10:17:13 AM UTC-7, Michael_A_Terrell wrote:

> Some people preferred the Alpha solder that Heathkit supplied with their
> kits, because the like how the burning flux smelled. I was desperate
> once and ad to buy some Oatey. They crap spitted and sputtered, as it
> rolled off the joint you were trying to solder, leaving the work covered
> in some plastic smelling flux.

The Oatey stuff is intended for plumbing, is basically zinc chloride (acid)
particles in a petroleum jelly suspension. If there's going to be running
water in contact with the joint, it washes away the acid, but... for
soldering DRY wires, or pipes that hold vacuum (physics lab stuff)
that acid doesn't get removed. Bad things happen.

For potable water, it's generally recommended not to drink from
the newly-soldered plumbing for a couple of days, then to open
your taps and flush the pipes out before tasting the water.

The petroleum jelly is benign.

Michael Terrell

Jul 9, 2023, 11:31:31 AM7/9/23
On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 11:54:43 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:

> The Oatey stuff is intended for plumbing, is basically zinc chloride (acid)
> particles in a petroleum jelly suspension. If there's going to be running
> water in contact with the joint, it washes away the acid, but... for
> soldering DRY wires, or pipes that hold vacuum (physics lab stuff)
> that acid doesn't get removed. Bad things happen.
>
> For potable water, it's generally recommended not to drink from
> the newly-soldered plumbing for a couple of days, then to open
> your taps and flush the pipes out before tasting the water.
>
> The petroleum jelly is benign.

They also made rosin cored solder, back in the '70s.