MOV Search

ABLE1

Nov 22, 2021, 10:01:39 PM11/22/21
Hello,

I am an Alarm Technician among other things or stuff.

I was thinking about installing a simple MOV on the Transformer
that feeds power to the Alarm Board. The industry standard is
16.5VAC 40VA plug in Transformer. 120 Volt Input.

Can anyone point to a specific MOV that would serve as a good
lightning or surge protection if placed across the output
terminals of the transformer??

I have seen a NTE524V15 used by others but looking at the spec's
it seems to be a bit much for the application.

https://bit.ly/3cEuvax

Any thoughts out there??

Thanks for any insight.

Les

Phil Allison

Nov 23, 2021, 1:40:45 AM11/23/21
ABLE1 wrote:
===========

> I am an Alarm Technician among other things or stuff.

** Your secret is safe with me....

> I was thinking about installing a simple MOV on the Transformer
> that feeds power to the Alarm Board. The industry standard is
> 16.5VAC 40VA plug in Transformer. 120 Volt Input.
>
> Can anyone point to a specific MOV that would serve as a good
> lightning or surge protection if placed across the output
> terminals of the transformer??

** NO - MOVs must go on the primary side to be any use.

> I have seen a NTE524V15 used by others but looking at the spec's
> it seems to be a bit much for the application.
>
> https://bit.ly/3cEuvax
>
> Any thoughts out there??

** That is a primary side device.

> Thanks for any insight.

** Better than nothing in my experience.

...... Phil

ABLE1

Nov 23, 2021, 8:07:30 AM11/23/21
Thanks Phil and have a good day!!!

whit3rd

Nov 29, 2021, 3:03:14 AM11/29/21
On Monday, November 22, 2021 at 7:01:39 PM UTC-8, ABLE1 wrote:

> I was thinking about installing a simple MOV on the Transformer
> that feeds power to the Alarm Board. The industry standard is
> 16.5VAC 40VA plug in Transformer. 120 Volt Input.
>
> Can anyone point to a specific MOV that would serve as a good
> lightning or surge protection if placed across the output
> terminals of the transformer??

If you do that, the lightning has its way with the primary and secondary
windings of the transformer; why not use an MOV on the input terminals?

ABLE1

Nov 29, 2021, 8:43:39 AM11/29/21
Hi whit3rd,

If I did that then Safety would be in question.
Now that I know that others were not doing something
of betterment I decided to scrap the idea.

Better to purchase a plug in surge protector.

Les