[OT:] What's your news reader do with this or that?

Active8

Mar 19, 2005, 1:30:17 AM3/19/05
Followups to SEB, please.

When you reply to a x-posted article, does your reader warn you that
you're x-posting?

When you reply to this, do you get a warning that a followup flag
was set?

Does your reader automatically honor the followup flag, i.e., only
set the groups line to that followup group?

What's your reader?

Do you give a damn? ;)
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Jonathan Kirwan

Mar 19, 2005, 2:08:58 AM3/19/05
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:30:17 -0500, Active8 <reply...@ndbbm.net>
wrote:

>Followups to SEB, please.
>
>When you reply to a x-posted article, does your reader warn you that
>you're x-posting?

Yep. Asks me if I want to allow them all or just to the group I'm
currently viewing.

>When you reply to this, do you get a warning that a followup flag
>was set?

Nope. It just puts me there.

>Does your reader automatically honor the followup flag, i.e., only
>set the groups line to that followup group?

Yes.

>What's your reader?

Forte Agent.

>Do you give a damn? ;)

I might.

Jon

Message has been deleted

James Meyer

Mar 19, 2005, 12:58:55 PM3/19/05
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:30:17 -0500, Active8 <reply...@ndbbm.net> wroth:

>Followups to SEB, please.

Screw you. I'll post whatever I want wherever I want.

>When you reply to a x-posted article, does your reader warn you that
>you're x-posting?

I don't give a damn. My pipe tobacco gives me a warning that the state
of California had determined that smoking it will produce birth defects. I
still smoke it. Besides, if I get pregnant, I've got bigger problems than birth
defects.

>When you reply to this, do you get a warning that a followup flag
>was set?

I don't give a damn. What's a followup flag?

>Does your reader automatically honor the followup flag, i.e., only
>set the groups line to that followup group?

I don't give a damn. My reader doesn't bother me and I don't try to
second guess or micro manage it.

>What's your reader?

Read the header information and figure it out for yourself.

>Do you give a damn? ;)

Obviously not.

Jim

Jim Thompson

Mar 19, 2005, 2:51:54 PM3/19/05
wrote:

>Followups to SEB, please.
>
>When you reply to a x-posted article, does your reader warn you that
>you're x-posting?

Yes.

>When you reply to this, do you get a warning that a followup flag
>was set?

No. Only one newsgroup was shown.

>Does your reader automatically honor the followup flag, i.e., only
>set the groups line to that followup group?
>
>What's your reader?

Agent v1.93

>Do you give a damn? ;)

Not really, although I do get irritated by those who clamor over
cross-posting. Good news-readers, such as Agent, only show one
instance of a cross-post. Why is it some people want to use archaic
tools and then bitch like it's my problem that their tools don't stand
up (:-) to the challenge?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Active8

Mar 20, 2005, 3:48:03 AM3/20/05
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:17:06 +0000, Fred Abse wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:30:17 -0500, Active8 wrote:
>
>> Followups to SEB, please.
>>
>> When you reply to a x-posted article, does your reader warn you that
>> you're x-posting?
>

> Only if I forget to set followup.

The followup flag should have been set by the poster you're replying
to. <== f grammar.

>> When you reply to this, do you get a warning that a followup flag
>> was set?
>

> No.

What about when you click send? My fault, wrong original question.

>> Does your reader automatically honor the followup flag, i.e., only
>> set the groups line to that followup group?
>

> Yes..
>

>> What's your reader?
>
> Pan, the only news client I know of to pass all GNKSA guidelines.

crawling across the kitchen table. I'll be sure to use it when ever
I get a current Linux.
<snip>
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8

Mar 20, 2005, 4:16:36 AM3/20/05
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:51:54 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
<snip>

>>Do you give a damn? ;)
>
> Not really, although I do get irritated by those who clamor over
> cross-posting. Good news-readers, such as Agent, only show one
> instance of a cross-post. Why is it some people want to use archaic
> tools and then bitch like it's my problem that their tools don't stand
> up (:-) to the challenge?

I hope you're not referring to me and I'm not bitching about you.
Mine has crosspost management settings (mark it read, don't retrive,
etc.) and I can turn off the warnings. I was just wondering what
other people's clients did. I leave the warnings on to remind me not
to reply to, for instance Rich, and have it end up in the wicca or
witchcraft groups. No need dragging any replies from those people
back here :) No. I'm not afraid of witches. I don't imagine you want
me inviting them here, either.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Rikard Bosnjakovic

Mar 21, 2005, 3:40:05 AM3/21/05
Active8 wrote:

> When you reply to a x-posted article, does your reader warn you that
> you're x-posting?

No

> When you reply to this, do you get a warning that a followup flag
> was set?

No

> Does your reader automatically honor the followup flag, i.e., only
> set the groups line to that followup group?

Yes.

> What's your reader?

Mozilla News

> Do you give a damn? ;)

Not really, but I guess I should. Or atleast should bugreport it.

--
Rikard Bosnjakovic http://bos.hack.org/cv/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to my address will be
charged $250 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting

Rich Grise

Mar 21, 2005, 4:17:57 PM3/21/05
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:30:17 -0500, Active8 wrote:

> Followups to SEB, please.
>
> When you reply to a x-posted article, does your reader warn you that
> you're x-posting?
>
> When you reply to this, do you get a warning that a followup flag was set?
>
> Does your reader automatically honor the followup flag, i.e., only set the
> groups line to that followup group?
>
> What's your reader?

Pan, and it's only posting to s.e.b.

Cheers!
Rich

Message has been deleted

Active8

Mar 21, 2005, 5:16:21 PM3/21/05
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:33:46 +0000, Fred Abse wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:48:03 -0500, Active8 wrote:

>>> Only if I forget to set followup.
>>
>> The followup flag should have been set by the poster you're replying
>> to. <== f grammar.
>

> <pedant mode>
> "to which you are replying"
> </pedant mode>
>
> :-)

thus "f grammar" I should start *speaking* in pedant mode. Maybe
that will keep the neanderthals away.
<snip>
> look at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.
>
> Oh, yes, Pan will recognize oddball quote characters, optionally mutes
> quoted text, and drops signatures from quoted messages.

Thanks. I missed that the first time. And no cygwin needed! I'm
going to give cygwin another try, though.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Rich Grise

Mar 22, 2005, 3:58:30 PM3/22/05
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:33:46 +0000, Fred Abse wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:48:03 -0500, Active8 wrote:

> I think you'll find I'm now the same as Rich, 0.14.2.91. I built a new
> one at the weekend. There's been a different tag line for each version
> for some time. The last but one was "This isn't a psychotic episode,
> it's a cleansing moment of clarity". There is a Windows build out there,
> take a look at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.

> Oh, yes, Pan will recognize oddball quote characters, optionally mutes
> quoted text, and drops signatures from quoted messages.

Interestingly, Pan seems to have no facility to post with attachments.
Whenever I want to post a binary to a.b.s.e, I have to use knode. Which
is an OK newsreader, too, but there's just something about Pan. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Active8

Mar 22, 2005, 7:45:43 PM3/22/05

Yikes! Pan for winders is a devil worshipper! It ignores my default
browser setting and opens IE for a link, thereby reinstalling the
Alexis spyware.

Must release judgements. I am not bad for having evil stuff like IE
on my winders box. It's ok to feel that MS is evil and Pan knows not
what it does. What am I forgetting here, Rich? Other than a big pot
of coffee and a collection plate ;)

Maybe I'll get lucky and by having ZoneAlarm deny access and gaffing
IE, it didn't have a chance to do the dirty deed.

Whew! Safe and clean. I could feel the flames licking at my sockets.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Active8

Mar 23, 2005, 3:26:44 PM3/23/05
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:17:05 +0000, Fred Abse wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:16:21 -0500, Active8 wrote:
>
>>> <pedant mode>
>>> "to which you are replying"
>>> </pedant mode>
>>>
>>> :-)
>>
>> thus "f grammar" I should start *speaking* in pedant mode. Maybe
>> that will keep the neanderthals away.
>

> I took "f grammar" as an invitation to tease :-)

Ok.

>> <snip>

>> Thanks. I missed that the first time. And no cygwin needed! I'm
>> going to give cygwin another try, though.

Same prob trying to get Cygwin to install the missing dll
cygintl-3.dll. Rea the faqs. Might post to the list. I'm not holding
my breath.

> Bite the bullet. Get into Linux. You'll tear your hair for about six
> months, then things will suddenly drop into place, and you'll wonder how
> you ever managed without it.

I've used Linux and Free BSD for file servers and they work great. I
just need to get a new version of Mandrake and another box. My old
Redhat is just to buggy (?) and slow on the old 450 MHz box I used.
I don't want to post re the Samba / XP problem(s) while I'm using
such an old version.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Rich Grise

Mar 23, 2005, 6:38:12 PM3/23/05
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:45:43 -0500, Active8 wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:58:30 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:

>> Interestingly, Pan seems to have no facility to post with attachments.
>> Whenever I want to post a binary to a.b.s.e, I have to use knode. Which
>> is an OK newsreader, too, but there's just something about Pan. :-)
>
> Yikes! Pan for winders is a devil worshipper! It ignores my default
> browser setting and opens IE for a link, thereby reinstalling the Alexis
> spyware.
>
> Must release judgements. I am not bad for having evil stuff like IE on
> my winders box. It's ok to feel that MS is evil and Pan knows not what
> it does. What am I forgetting here, Rich? Other than a big pot of coffee
> and a collection plate ;)

Try "Edit/Preferences/Apps&Mail" and put in the name of the browser
you want in the textbox labeled: "Web Browser (%s is URL)". :-)

HTH!
Rich