> Bill Gill <bill...@cox.net
>In 1970 I was working for a small company making cardiac
>pace makers. We received reports that people with pace makers
>were being affected by microwave ovens. We did some tests and
>found that leaky microwaves could interfere with our pace makers.
>It wasn't a huge effect, you had to be pretty close, but they did
From what I was taught way back this problem was
from the magnetic fields associated with the way
microwave ovens worked, and not with the
microwaves themselves. Hence a very quick
dropoff of problems if you were just a couple
of feet away. (Inverse square law and all that).
Reason: early pacemakers used a simple magnetic
relay to put them into "test mode". So if you
went to the cardiologist for a checkup, they'd
take EKGs, etc., both with and without a magnet
over your chest.
Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
[to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]