Re: units conversion

maxfoo

May 15, 2004, 9:39:15 AM5/15/04
On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:17:47 GMT, B Thomas <tho...@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>Hi,
>Is there any utility to convert units from one to another?
>sincerely
>b thomas

This is my favorite one...

Convert is an easy to use unit conversion program that will convert the most
popular units of distance, temperature, volume, time, speed, mass, power,
density, pressure, energy and many others, including the ability to create
custom conversions!

http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Remove "HeadFromButt", before replying by email.

Richard Henry

May 15, 2004, 10:25:43 AM5/15/04

"maxfoo" <maxfooHea...@punkass.com> wrote in message

I always use this one:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Both furlong and fortnight are included.

John Fields

May 15, 2004, 11:48:06 AM5/15/04
On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:25:43 -0700, "Richard Henry" <rph...@home.com>
wrote:

>I always use this one:
>
>http://www.onlineconversion.com/
>
>Both furlong and fortnight are included.

---
RCH is missing... ;(

1 RCH ~ 0.005 inch (U.S.)

--
John Fields

Jim Thompson

May 15, 2004, 11:57:14 AM5/15/04

As a teenager I had occasion to check that "conversion"... dated a
redhead ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Tim Wescott

May 15, 2004, 1:34:09 PM5/15/04
maxfoo wrote:

Not what you're thinking, but MathCad (_not_ MatLab!) lets you dimension
your variables, and will track units. I've found this very handy doing
electromechanical work, where the motor constant that converts current
to torque also converts radians/sec to volts, and for making sure that
my equations make sense (it barfs if you try to add variables who's
dimensions don't match). Furthermore, it treats dimensioning as any
other variable, so you can define furlongs, cubits, grains, "tim-units",
whatever and use them as a regular dimension.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Dave VanHorn

May 15, 2004, 1:38:40 PM5/15/04

> Not what you're thinking, but MathCad (_not_ MatLab!) lets you dimension
> your variables, and will track units. I've found this very handy doing
> electromechanical work, where the motor constant that converts current
> to torque also converts radians/sec to volts, and for making sure that
> my equations make sense (it barfs if you try to add variables who's
> dimensions don't match). Furthermore, it treats dimensioning as any
> other variable, so you can define furlongs, cubits, grains, "tim-units",
> whatever and use them as a regular dimension.

Very handy at ferreting out bogus equations too.
I ran into one with a Seiko printer for caclulating burn energy.
Their formula works, and looks good at first, but when you get to about the
500'th pixel line, it starts giving you negative burn energy.

It does force you to think about things properly.

Richard Henry

May 15, 2004, 1:56:15 PM5/15/04

"John Fields" <jfi...@austininstruments.com> wrote in message

I remember the time the old retired-Navy lab tech told me that he had to
adjust the pot "just an RCH" to get the circuit to work, and the
newly-hired, red-headed female programmer aksed me what he meant.

John Fields

May 15, 2004, 2:31:07 PM5/15/04
On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:56:15 -0700, "Richard Henry" <rph...@home.com>
wrote:

>"John Fields" <jfi...@austininstruments.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:25:43 -0700, "Richard Henry" <rph...@home.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I always use this one:
>> >
>> >http://www.onlineconversion.com/
>> >
>> >Both furlong and fortnight are included.
>>
>> ---
>> RCH is missing... ;(
>>
>> 1 RCH ~ 0.005 inch (U.S.)
>
>I remember the time the old retired-Navy lab tech told me that he had to
>adjust the pot "just an RCH" to get the circuit to work, and the
>newly-hired, red-headed female programmer aksed me what he meant.

---
Why, "Red Curly Hair", of course.

What else could it _possibly_ mean?^)

--
John Fields

Spehro Pefhany

May 15, 2004, 2:35:47 PM5/15/04

No, I think that is quite a bit too coarse. My unimpeachable sources
give the approximate measure as 0.0025" (Is that a Starrett in your
pocket, or are you happy to see me?).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Anthony Fremont

May 15, 2004, 2:44:11 PM5/15/04

"Spehro Pefhany" <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message

> On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:48:06 -0500, the renowned John Fields
> <jfi...@austininstruments.com> wrote:

> >---
> >RCH is missing... ;(
> >
> >1 RCH ~ 0.005 inch (U.S.)
>
> No, I think that is quite a bit too coarse. My unimpeachable sources
> give the approximate measure as 0.0025" (Is that a Starrett in your
> pocket, or are you happy to see me?).

That would be a National Fine RCH I believe. ;-)

Richard Henry

May 15, 2004, 5:31:16 PM5/15/04

"Spehro Pefhany" <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:48:06 -0500, the renowned John Fields
> <jfi...@austininstruments.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:25:43 -0700, "Richard Henry" <rph...@home.com>
> >wrote:
> >

> >>I always use this one:
> >>
> >>http://www.onlineconversion.com/
> >>
> >>Both furlong and fortnight are included.
> >
> >---
> >RCH is missing... ;(
> >
> >1 RCH ~ 0.005 inch (U.S.)
>
> No, I think that is quite a bit too coarse. My unimpeachable sources
> give the approximate measure as 0.0025" (Is that a Starrett in your
> pocket, or are you happy to see me?).

I believe you are confused by the difference between the Swedish standard
and the Spanish standard.

John Larkin

May 15, 2004, 7:51:23 PM5/15/04

The most regressive engineers in the world are the thermal guys. They
still work in stuff like BTU-sqfoot/hour/inch/degreeF and nonsense
like that. That junk is a real nuisance to convert into sensible
units. The thermal-pad boys often mix units on a single data sheet
(and lie, to boot.)

Listen up: use watts, meters, Kelvins, Joules, and seconds! I wish the
calorie had never been invented.

grrrrr.

John

John Fields

May 15, 2004, 9:20:03 PM5/15/04

---
I agree. How much more sensible it would be to be on a 66 watt diet
instead of, what is that anyway, about 2000 Calories?

Philip A. Marshall

May 15, 2004, 8:29:04 PM5/15/04
On Sun, 16 May 2004 01:20:03 GMT, jfi...@texas.net (John Fields)
wrote:

...which is, in reality, 2000 KCal ;)

John Fields

May 16, 2004, 9:23:44 AM5/16/04
On Sun, 16 May 2004 00:29:04 GMT, Philip A. Marshall
<philma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>I agree. How much more sensible it would be to be on a 66 watt diet
>>instead of, what is that anyway, about 2000 Calories?
>
>...which is, in reality, 2000 KCal ;)

---
Yes, that's why I spelled it Calories instead of calories, but it's
not 66 watts.

Since 1 calorie = 4.186 joules, 2000 calories would be equal to 8372
joules, and 2000 kilocalories would be equal to 8,372,000 joules.

Since 1 joule per second is one watt and there are 86,400 seconds in a
day, 8372000 joules/86400 seconds ~ 96.9 watts.

So, if we're consuming 2000 Calories a day, that's about 100 watts.

--
John Fields

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

May 16, 2004, 1:51:24 PM5/16/04

"maxfoo" <maxfooHea...@punkass.com> wrote in message

Even furlongs per fortnight, and attoparsecs?? ;-)

Really, there must be humdreds of these in any web search.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###