optical isolation

Riccardo

Sep 30, 2003, 4:36:23 AM9/30/03
Hi all, anyone knows if it's possible to isolate (in optical way) a
single wire or a couple of wires?
It should be something that I can put on my PCB and on one side there is
the IN-wire (comes from outside), and as output I've a wire that is
isolated optically.

Thanks,

Riccardo

Jeroen Vriesman

Sep 30, 2003, 6:31:06 AM9/30/03
yes, if your signal has enough power to drive the led of an optocoupler.

FSMüller

Sep 30, 2003, 6:45:28 AM9/30/03
sevral questions: is there electrical power to be transferred or is it
only signals? uni- or bidirctional?
if its unidirectional signals and the frequency is not tto high (<
100kHz), you should consider optocouplers, they come in lots of
varieties and packages, try googling for IL74 or 4N26, there are duals
and quads too (ILD74 and ILQ 74 respectively) the datasheets you find
show how they should be connected.

greetings

Frank