Electronics videos and DVDs

1 view

The Technical Manager

Sep 20, 2002, 7:04:45 AM9/20/02
Does anyone know of any good videos or DVDs on electronics, preferably
in PAL format ? They are intended to be shown to a teenage audience so
they must be moderately advanced.

I have some electronics videos from the 1970s that were intended to be
shown in secondary schools but apart from the one on electromagnetism
with the Ford Capri starter motor they are just too out of date and the
quality isn't good as they were copied from cine film. I have a feeling
there were no educational videos on electronics for secondary school use
created in the 1990s but RS Components used to have series for
industrial training selling at £100 each. Has anyone seen them, if so
what do you think ?

Russel Osborne

Sep 20, 2002, 10:55:22 PM9/20/02

I don't know if this place is still around, but the tapes seem to
cover stuff pretty well. I bought them in 1999 off the internet. The
cost was something like $40 US (I think).
Don't know if they offered them in PAL though.

Electronic Video Courses
10675 East Northwest HWY
Suite #1655-706
Dallas Tx
75238

hth,
russ

The Technical Manager

Sep 21, 2002, 12:15:52 PM9/21/02
Russel Osborne wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:04:45 +0100, The Technical Manager
> <tec...@niobiumfive.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know of any good videos or DVDs on electronics, preferably
> >in PAL format ? They are intended to be shown to a teenage audience so
> >they must be moderately advanced.
> >
> >I have some electronics videos from the 1970s that were intended to be
> >shown in secondary schools but apart from the one on electromagnetism
> >with the Ford Capri starter motor they are just too out of date and the
> >quality isn't good as they were copied from cine film. I have a feeling
> >there were no educational videos on electronics for secondary school use
> >created in the 1990s but RS Components used to have series for

> >industrial training selling at Ł100 each. Has anyone seen them, if so

> >what do you think ?
> >
> I don't know if this place is still around, but the tapes seem to
> cover stuff pretty well.

Could you describe their contents in detail.

> I bought them in 1999 off the internet. The
> cost was something like $40 US (I think).
> Don't know if they offered them in PAL though.

Probably not.

Russel Osborne

Sep 22, 2002, 12:41:14 AM9/22/02
On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:15:52 +0100, The Technical Manager
<tec...@niobiumfive.co.uk> wrote:

>Russel Osborne wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:04:45 +0100, The Technical Manager
>> <tec...@niobiumfive.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know of any good videos or DVDs on electronics, preferably
>> >in PAL format ? They are intended to be shown to a teenage audience so
>> >they must be moderately advanced.
>> >
>> >I have some electronics videos from the 1970s that were intended to be
>> >shown in secondary schools but apart from the one on electromagnetism
>> >with the Ford Capri starter motor they are just too out of date and the
>> >quality isn't good as they were copied from cine film. I have a feeling
>> >there were no educational videos on electronics for secondary school use
>> >created in the 1990s but RS Components used to have series for

>> >industrial training selling at £100 each. Has anyone seen them, if so

>> >what do you think ?
>> >
>> I don't know if this place is still around, but the tapes seem to
>> cover stuff pretty well.
>
>Could you describe their contents in detail.

Well, the titles are as follows:

Beginner Preparation
AC Circuits
DC Circuits
Oscillators
Amplifiers
Electronic Circuits
Power Supply
Radio Electronics
Television Electronics
Video Recorders

I haven't watched all of them, I actually got them to use as a
refresher course but I never got around to all of them.
What they seem to do is to show a schematic of say an amplifier,
explain just what it is, explain what every components purpose is, and
then follow the signal path through the circuit twice. The
presentation is a little dry, but very informative.
However, I just tried a Google search and didn't find anything on
these, so it may be that the company is no longer around.
I did find another source of tapes. Heathkit, believe it or not.

http://www.heathkit.com/ILP/ilpvideo.html

Don't know about PAL, though.