For Austin... A new fractal I am creating for fun! :^)

Chris M. Thomasson

Sep 17, 2021, 6:29:59 PM9/17/21
Fwiw, here is a "fun" (to me at least), and purely experimental test of
mine, in vector field lines that tries to create, a fractal. The first
link to an example rendering below is from generation two. So, the
really basic idea is to start with a vector field, and gather points on
each one of its plotted field lines. These gathered points will be
involved in the next generation, so to speak. Since the individual lines
are conveniently created on a segment-by-segment basis, well, this just
seems to work quite well, so far... In a sense, with regard to its
fractal nature, its akin to a von Koch curve where further generations
have more detail. Except, my fun experiment is using field lines to
produce the next generations. Here is the result of a crude example of
generation two:

https://fractalforums.org/gallery/1612-140921050957.png

Unfortunately, a generation three in my current state of experimentation
just might end up making my computer want to "snuff" itself; a clockwork
orange wrt jumping out of the god damn window... My computer might
threaten to jump right off of a damn high cliff directly into a
rampaging river before it renders a gen three. Argh!

So, I am trying to amortize things in my algorihtm to make my computer
feel a bit less, depressed, so to speak: Ouch!

Fwiw, the code for my basic vector field can be found here:

http://fractallife247.com/test/vfield/

Keep in mind that my experimental field algorithm is n-ary. So, 3d is no
problem. Here are some examples:

https://youtu.be/skGUAXAx6eg

https://youtu.be/BUbMJJyj7AU

https://youtu.be/R0v_1EBAOr4

;^)

If I tell my computer to render my new experiment in 3d, it might shoot
me in the face several minutes before it kills itself!

;^o

austin obyrne

Sep 18, 2021, 3:16:39 AM9/18/21
Thanks for that - AOB

Chris M. Thomasson

Sep 20, 2021, 12:26:48 AM9/20/21
On 9/18/2021 12:16 AM, austin obyrne wrote:
> On Friday, 17 September 2021 at 23:29:59 UTC+1, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>> Fwiw, here is a "fun" (to me at least), and purely experimental test of
>> mine, in vector field lines that tries to create, a fractal.

[...]
>> If I tell my computer to render my new experiment in 3d, it might shoot
>> me in the face several minutes before it kills itself!
>>
>> ;^o
> Thanks for that - AOB

No problem. Fwiw, here is an experiment that allows an observer to view
a strange 3d object with no lights, using a distance estimation:

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/fdBSzm