Black scientific???

Lou

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
and for all !!!

Many thanks!

--Lou

Rich Lemert

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
to Lou
Lou wrote:

Beware of this discussion, because I'm afraid you're going to get
trapped into a "but is that really all that important" argument. If your
friends are really just ignorant of the contributions of black
individuals,
you might be okay. On the other hand, if there is a more malicious intent

then no amount of evidence is going to dissuade them from their beliefs.

An obvious example to your question, though, is George Washington
Carver. I don't know that there was one specific discovery that you could

call "real important", but the body of his work was certainly
significant.

You might also contact the cartoonist that does the comic strip "Jump
Start". He slips some contributions from famous blacks into his strip
every now and then, so he could probably give you plenty of examples.
(I know he has some good ones, it's just that it's been awhile since he's

done that and I don't remember the examples he's used.)

Rich Lemert

Uncle Al

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Lou wrote:

> Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
> they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
> real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
> help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
> would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
> and for all !!!

Look up the guy who discovered blood typing, and the guy who made the
first working gas mask. Genius is not racial, though incidence of
genius probably is. George Washington Carver was a nice fellow but an
inconsequential scientist.

Or hit the Black History pages. Ancient Black civilizations did
everything from the Intel Pentium III to the levitation at will of
huge boulders, converting sunshine to knowledge by sunbathing (I shit
thee not) - all of it stolen by historic White Protestant European
oppressor patriarchy.

For a whopping helping of Offiical Truth:

Kawaida theory
Kemet (ancient seat of black knowledge)
Molefi Asante, Maulana Ron Karenga, John Henrik Clarke, Yosef
ben-Jochannan

Have a nice Kwanzaa.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Marvin

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99

Rich Lemert <lls...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Lou wrote:
>
> > Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
> > they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
> > real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
> > help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
> > would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
> > and for all !!!

Percy Julian was a very distinguished black chemist. He had many
achievements in the academic world and in industry. The centennial of his
birth was celebrated by, among other things, a special symposium at the ACS
National meeting this Spring.

GMacbeth

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
In article <384426BE...@hate.spam.net>, Uncle Al <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote:
>Lou wrote:
>> Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
>> they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
>> real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
>> help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
>> would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
>> and for all !!!
>
>Look up the guy who discovered blood typing, and the guy who made the
>first working gas mask. Genius is not racial, though incidence of
>genius probably is. George Washington Carver was a nice fellow but an
>inconsequential scientist.
>
>Or hit the Black History pages. Ancient Black civilizations did
>everything from the Intel Pentium III to the levitation at will of
>huge boulders, converting sunshine to knowledge by sunbathing (I shit
>thee not) - all of it stolen by historic White Protestant European
>oppressor patriarchy.
(snip)

Hmm -sounds like a book I read about how the Irish saved
civilization. Cultural oneupmanship is universal, I guess.
Don't be silly, Al - there was nothing left for the latecomer Protestants to
steal after the Crusaders finished burning all those libraries. All kidding
aside - check out some of the real discoveries made by ancient civilizations -
unfortunately these tend to credit a culture, not an individual. And ask
yourself if the discoveries of an epidemiologist (or an agricultural
scientist, or a geologist) are less important than those of a Nobel-winning
chemist or physicist.
Unless said scientist has their photo published (magazine article, TV,
etc.) it would be hard to tell. I certainly can't tell the race of the
person(s) who write the majority of the papers that I read (nor should I).
Incidence of genius may also not be racial - conditions to exploit said
genius may very well be. Hard to demonstrate genius when you are part of a
barely-civilized, scratching-a-living tribe (and I'm speaking of my own
ancestral gene pool here) whose main concern is getting enough food and fuel
put by for winter. There are comparable situations today. "GM"

David Lloyd-Jones

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99

Marvin <phys...@earthlink.net> wrote > >

> Percy Julian was a very distinguished black chemist. He had many
> achievements in the academic world and in industry. The centennial of his
> birth was celebrated by, among other things, a special symposium at the
ACS
> National meeting this Spring.

Percy Julian's family also own a number of the patents on the birth control
pill. His family joke that Poppa wanted to keep the number of white folks
down.

-dlj.

Jacques Jedwab

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
In article <3843EF0F...@sympatico.ca>, Lou
<louise....@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Yesterday, I had a discussion with some friends of mine on science and
> they were convinced that no Black man had ever discovered something of
> real importance. But, I'm sure there is... So if someone out there can
> help me with this one (just tell me the name and his/her discovery), I
> would be very very very grateful and happy to shut off their trap once
> and for all !!!
>

> Many thanks!
>
> --Lou

Dear Lou,

You should know that such a debate is hopeless: when you give a racist ONE
name, this detroys his beliefs and prejudices, and he asks for more, more,
else, else, better, better!...I have met some guys (their citizenship or
race does not matter at all) who said that XXXians have never invented
whatsoever, and always stole ideas from YYYians, etc.

Nevertheless, you seem courageous and stubborn: I leak you out the name of
George Washington Carver.

"The exact date of Carver's birth is not known, for he was a black, born
at a time [ą1864] and in a place [Diamond Grove, Miss.] where blacks were
still enslaved and were chattels rather than men".(Asimov's biographical
encyclopedia of science and technology).

Cheers! J.J.

mutch

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
It is a shame that such questions need precise answers, however the most
famous i can think of is Abdus Salam. He received a Nobel prize for the
unification of the Weak interaction and electromagnetic theories.

Lou <louise....@sympatico.ca> schreef in artikel
<3843EF0F...@sympatico.ca>...

Tapio Hurme

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99

mutch <mu...@ecn.nl> kirjoitti
viestissä:01bf3c18$6efcb4c0$7b07...@P2310.ECN.NL...

| It is a shame that such questions need precise answers, however the most
| famous i can think of is Abdus Salam. He received a Nobel prize for the
| unification of the Weak interaction and electromagnetic theories.

Yes-indeed - and correct! It is absolutely irrelevant in science to ask like
Lou did. You can always set some boundary restrictions: sex, woman, man,
religion, age, time, continent, country, area, educational background
etc..So what? It is not relevant to ask who and under some certain
restrictions.
We all - together - try to build up better knowledge. It is not a question
who. It is a question what supports our knowledge. Names live - not colours!
You don't lift, rise or depress anybody - history serves it for you -
instead of you and your opinions.

(By the way - I do know what is science, but I do not know what is black? (I
am blind).
Please - answer by e-mail using embossed type writing)

Tapio