Videos of Euripides

Ian C. Storey

Dec 14, 2000, 1:36:19 PM12/14/00
As part of my first-year course on Greek Drama in translation, I show
excerpts from modern performances on video. Does anyone know of such
versions of either Bacchae or Hippolytos? I know of a production of the
latter from Otago in New Zealand, and of a Japanese version of Bacchae,
but I would be grateful if anyone could steer me to some other version.
Thanks very much.

Please reply to the newsgroup or to ist...@home.com.

I.C. Storey
Classics,
Trent University

frank

Dec 17, 2000, 7:28:05 AM12/17/00
In article <3A391323...@trentu.ca>,

ist...@trentu.ca wrote:
> As part of my first-year course on Greek Drama in translation, I show
> excerpts from modern performances on video. Does anyone know of such
> versions of either Bacchae or Hippolytos? I know of a production of
the
> latter from Otago in New Zealand, and of a Japanese version of
Bacchae,

Hi -

In the absence of any other response to date - and lest you should
think your post ignored ! - in short, no. Have also taught both
Hippolytus and Bacchae, and would have loved to have had full english
versions of them. Like you, I am aware of the Japanese version of
Bacchae, from which an excerpt was shown in an OU programme a few years
ago. (I seem to remember plastic shopping-bags being carried on, full
of bits of Pentheus - do I imagine remembering them dripping blood
too ? It was certainly the impression given. Wonderfully nasty...)
Don`t know the NZ Hippolytus. Any good ?

Did eventually get hold of `Iph in Aulis`, though, in a splendid TV
version, and had to make do with that as `representative of Eur`s
style`; not entirely satisfactory, since it was not a play we ever
studied :-)

yours sympathetically

cheers

frank