The modern understanding of Ancient Greek

vj...@biostrategist.com

Jun 21, 2001, 9:45:22 PM6/21/01
Firstly, understand that when Greeks change their language too
much, they open themselves to the Metternichian criticism that they
are no longer Greeks. Israel revived a two-thousand year-dead
language as its official language. This is not to say that the
politically-imposed Katharevusa or Demotic are natural languages, the
way Kathemilumeni is. Also, since no translation is ever perfect,
when you change a language, you deprive your progeny of the culture
that accompanied it. The fewer people that actively speak a
near-biblical Greek today, not just in a religious context, then the
more dead, one-dimensional and useless the results of our attempts to
rely on the results of reading ancient texts.
Secondly, cantankerous Greeks resist dealing with Ecclesiastic
Greek the way stuck-up Brits would not resist Ecclesiastic English,
even though the two are roughly equidistant from the languages
respectively spoken today. The reason this is so is the appearance of
a body of literature tends to freeze changes in a language, so
Classical Greek and Elizabethan English are roughly at equivalent
levels of the dvelopment of each language. Also, there is an important
dischronistic mistake made by a sloppiness in distinguishing between
the generic term "archaic" and the specific "Ancient Greek" where
changes that took place in preHomeric Greek end up being applied
almost a millenium later by people whose level of education suggests
they should know better. Particularly farcical are the "Erasmian"
errors of W Sydney allen who admits he discarded Hindu evidence
contradicting his conclusions on ypsilon - perhaps because he views
Greek too much as a sister of latin and not at all in its eastern
context (there was also ample Hebrew evidence he did nt look at). I
say this as someone who was required to read original German-like
Beowulf and French-like Chaucer in prep school, and as someone who
once heard a Constantinople Jewish mathematician say how glad he was
to speak to my parents because he doesn't get to speak real Greek
since USA immigrants badly speak it.
The following analogy, I feel, roughly applies: LinearB:Homer:
Classical:Koine:Kathemilumeni::Beowulf:Chaucer:Shakespeare:KJV:Modern.

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
vjp2@{MCIMail.Com|CSI.Com|Panix.Com|BioStrategist.Com} VP...@Columbia.Edu
--{vjp2 was formerly on dorsai (1995-2000), delphi (1994) and bix (1989)}--
<< Cigar smoke belongs in the vegetable food group >>
<< Fooey on GUI, {MS,X} Windows are for Bimbos >>

NKrinis

Jun 21, 2001, 11:38:06 PM6/21/01
Αερας κοπανιστος απο την ιδια πηγη.

Νικος Κρινης

Raymond Brisebois

Jun 25, 2001, 10:21:20 PM6/25/01
Το ροδο κατα την αλλα ονομα κανεις;

(Shakespeare)

rB

Voyager

Jun 26, 2001, 6:45:09 PM6/26/01

Τι πραμα ???

Raymond Brisebois <rjl...@magma.ca> wrote

Raymond Brisebois

Jun 28, 2001, 10:23:57 AM6/28/01
"Voyager" <ji...@dmail.com> wrote in message news:<9hb1n9$lm9$1...@usenet.otenet.gr>...
> Τι πραμα ???

[Ti prama ???] I couldn't 'prama' or a similar root in my
dictionary? What is your question?

> Raymond Brisebois <rjl...@magma.ca> wrote
>
> Το ροδο κατα την αλλα ονομα κανεις;
>
> (Shakespeare)

[To rodo kata ta alla onoma kaneis?] = my attempt at putting into
Greek

"A rose by any other name"? (by Shakespeare)

in commentary to Nikias':

> > Αερας κοπανιστος απο την ιδια πηγη.

[Aeras kopanistos apo thn idia phgh]

'A pounding wind from the same source' (my attempt at translating the
Greek)

Xaire,

rB