Detect the content of milk, what sensor can I use?

Acceed See

Apr 13, 2005, 12:53:12 AM4/13/05
My country is flooded with fake diary products like milk and milk powder,
which are made by
unscrupulous merchants with sugar, water and some sorts of addition
materials. Some of them
even make use of lether shows..

What I need is a quick, simple and low cost testing method to find out the
content of protein,
sugar, and other nutritients which the diary product delivers. Is there any
Protein Paper like
those papers we use in high schools to test the pH value of acids?

oğin

Apr 13, 2005, 12:58:17 AM4/13/05

NOTE: I am not an expert!!!!

But here is my take on it:

Milk contains several colloidal ingredients including many proteins. If you
add weak acid such as lemon juice or vinager the change in pH changes the
configuration of protein molecules. The formation of protien curdles is a
good indictaion that there is at least some protien in there. It is not a
perfect test, but it is cheap.

tadchem

Apr 13, 2005, 9:39:27 AM4/13/05

Advanced Google "milk 'quality control'":
http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/subjects/documents/MPGuide/mpguide2.htm
- lists many simple quality control tests for milk.
See Sections 2.4.5.4. The Alcohol-Alizarin test and 2.4.5.7 The Gerber
Butterfat test

In general, each specific quantity you seek will require a specific
test (unless you want to inve$t in a multi-purpose analyzer, wwhich
will not allow you to keep the cost low).

Curdling (as oðin has suggested) is simple, cheap, and fast, and will
reveal the presence of protein, but quantization is another
time-consuming step.

The pH test is good because it will also indicate spoiled milk, if it
is sensitive enough.

The butterfat test is probably more indicative of ersatz milk, as "fake
diary products" generally lack fat content - it spoils, reducing the
shelf life. It does, however, require some equipment.

HTH

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

Gregory L. Hansen

Apr 13, 2005, 10:18:23 AM4/13/05
In article <uNqdnej7Fd5...@whidbeytel.com>,

Calibrate it against known samples of good milk? Add so much of a certain
type of acid to a certain amount of good milk and get such an amount of
curds. Compare that with sugar and shoe leather mixtures.

--
"When the fool walks through the street, in his lack of understanding he
calls everything foolish." -- Ecclesiastes 10:3, New American Bible

MobiusDick

Apr 13, 2005, 12:18:26 PM4/13/05
You need a Brinkmann 799 Titrino or an 836 Titrando, both of which are
capable of milk anslysis. I have never done this, but I noticed the
procedure in their brochures.

MobiusDick