Electrolysis of water

T.T.

Mar 9, 2005, 10:11:24 AM3/9/05
Can someone give me the equation for the electrolysis of water producing
hydrogen and oxygen.......using a catalyst of sodium sulfate?
I know the catalyst does not take part in the reaction but I'd like to know
exactly what role the ions play in the production of the 2 gases.

Thank you.

Tom T.

Niwde

Mar 10, 2005, 8:47:03 AM3/10/05
"T.T." <till...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<wmEXd.816$je3...@fe07.usenetserver.com>...

2Na2SO4+4H2O -> 4(H+)+4(OH-) + 4(Na+) + 2(SO42-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^these ions come from
the sodium sulfate...Na+ might only be helping the formation of OH-,
and the SO42- might only be helping the formation of H+...
4(OH-) -> O2+2H2O+4(e-)
4(H+)+4(e-) -> 2H2

dunno if correct or not...