WTB: CITRIC ACID

BAJJERFAN

Jul 13, 2012, 12:01:22 AM7/13/12
Looking to purchase about 5 kg of citric acid for home use, as in
cleaning lime deposits.. If anyone has any for sale at a reasonable
price or knows of someone selling small quantities, please contact by
email.

Thank You.

Peter Fairbrother

Jul 13, 2012, 6:19:24 AM7/13/12
Try eBay.

Martin Brown

Jul 13, 2012, 6:32:03 AM7/13/12
Your best bet is a home brewing supplier.

Seems to be on BDH's restricted list I wonder what it is used for ;-)

For removing limescale deposits hydrochloric acid is probably as good as
anything. Perhaps a bit aggressive though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

BAJJERFAN

Jul 13, 2012, 7:07:59 AM7/13/12
Thanks. Shudda tried that first. Looks like some good choices.

Dean

Jul 13, 2012, 11:03:44 AM7/13/12

Peter Fairbrother

Jul 13, 2012, 11:58:29 AM7/13/12
On 13/07/12 11:32, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 13/07/2012 05:01, BAJJERFAN wrote:
>
>> Looking to purchase about 5 kg of citric acid for home use, as in
>> cleaning lime deposits.. If anyone has any for sale at a reasonable
>> price or knows of someone selling small quantities, please contact by
>
> Your best bet is a home brewing supplier.
>
> Seems to be on BDH's restricted list I wonder what it is used for ;-)

One potentially illegal use is changing heroin base (aka brown or black
heroin) into soluble heroin citrate for injection.

That's usually done on an individual user scale though, eg people buying
50 or 100 gram packets of citric acid [1] and mixing the drug and a
pinch of citric acid in a teaspoon heated by a candle, it's not a
large-scale use - injectable heroin made in quantity is usually the
hydrochloride, not the citrate.

[1] available quite readily in winemaking shops and some chemists
(pharmacists), though you might get some strange looks in the chemists
if they think you might be a druggie. Here in the UK at least they'll
still sell you it though.

It's also the acid used in a popular formula available online (and I
believe in some terrorist cookbooks) for making HMTD explosive - though
you can use sulphuric acid (or any of a long list of acids) instead, and
there is nothing special about citric acid in this use except it's the
acid in the formula which you can find online.

So that's not really a biggie either. Maybe there is some other use
though - like you need isopropanol to make Sarin, but there are a
gazillion other legitimate uses for isopropanol - at one point the US
gubbmint was going to put IPA sales on terrorist watch status, but
cooler heard prevailed.

Frank

Jul 13, 2012, 1:48:33 PM7/13/12
Citric acid is also used in canning. You may find it at the food store.

Soviet_Mario

Jul 13, 2012, 7:37:40 PM7/13/12
Il 13/07/2012 12:32, Martin Brown ha scritto:
> On 13/07/2012 05:01, BAJJERFAN wrote:
>
>> Looking to purchase about 5 kg of citric acid for home use, as in
>> cleaning lime deposits.. If anyone has any for sale at a reasonable
>> price or knows of someone selling small quantities, please contact by
>
> Your best bet is a home brewing supplier.
>
> Seems to be on BDH's restricted list I wonder what it is used for ;-)

hexamethylenetriperoxidediamine (HMTD)

urotropin (hexamethylenetetramine) + H2O2 + citric acid
yields a hexaoxo-diaza-derivetive of bibyclo [4,4,4]
tetradecane.

urotropin is the same precursor of RDX.

I guess that citric acid could be replaced with some other
acid with remarcable complexing ability and protective
against metallic cations (i.g. tartaric, malic), but on such
a reaction only a very brave or mad experimentalist dare do
any subtle modification ! :)
Ciao
CCCP

> For removing limescale deposits hydrochloric acid is probably as good as
> anything. Perhaps a bit aggressive though.

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

BAJJERFAN

Jul 13, 2012, 9:44:49 PM7/13/12
I plan to use it to clean the buildup out of my water heater. The
manufacturer suggested vinegar, but I don't want to put up with the
odor. Citric is readily soluble in water and the solution can be added
through the pressure relief valve hole. and then safely run down the
drain. Years ago a local appliance repair man suggested using it in
your dishwasher [fill the soap trays] and clothes washer [quarter cup
or so] every couple months to keep the insides nice and clean. Do it
less often if you use soft water. I recall seeing it in grocery stores
where it had a bit of orange or lemon oil added, but seemed to be kind
of pricey for a few ounces.

Salmon Egg

Jul 14, 2012, 5:17:42 AM7/14/12
In article <5000c015$0$1393$4faf...@reader1.news.tin.it>,
Soviet_Mario <Soviet...@CCCP.MIR> wrote:

> I guess that citric acid could be replaced with some other
> acid with remarcable complexing ability and protective
> against metallic cations (i.g. tartaric, malic), but on such
> a reaction only a very brave or mad experimentalist dare do
> any subtle modification ! :)
> Ciao
> CCCP

Anything to further a jihad!

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

Soviet_Mario

Jul 14, 2012, 6:25:21 AM7/14/12
Il 14/07/2012 11:17, Salmon Egg ha scritto:
> In article<5000c015$0$1393$4faf...@reader1.news.tin.it>,
> Soviet_Mario<Soviet...@CCCP.MIR> wrote:
>

>> I guess that citric acid could be replaced with some other
>> acid with remarcable complexing ability and protective
>> against metallic cations (i.g. tartaric, malic), but on such
>> a reaction only a very brave or mad experimentalist dare do
>> any subtle modification ! :)
>> Ciao
>> CCCP
>
> Anything to further a jihad!

:-)
I didn't invent anything myself, and also the info is freely
and easily accessibile on the web.
I guess that some nerdy teenager is more intrested in such a
usenet post than a jihadist :-) (which is supposed to just
know all the necessary).

P.S. I'm very fond of Jews and their culture, and I bear no
simpathy into their enemies

CCCP

Rusty Oxhide

Jul 17, 2012, 2:57:30 AM7/17/12
Citric acid is available in the Kosher Foods section of most
well-stocked supermarkets. Many brands of "Sour Salt".

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/.a/6a00d8341ef22f53ef015390308cd4970b-500wi

Rusty Oxhide

Michael Moroney

Jul 20, 2012, 11:04:37 AM7/20/12
On Friday, July 13, 2012 12:01:22 AM UTC-4, BAJJERFAN wrote:
If the better solutions don't work and you just need a small amount and
can tolerate sugar and some other ingredients, "Tang" orange drink can
work in a pinch. Many dishwashers have been cleaned by running a cycle
with "Tang" in the soap dish. It has a lot of citric acid and potassium
citrate. The sugar free version probably has more citric acid.
If you need 5 kg, much better to try to get it elsewhere, this is more
for the benefit of someone needing to just clean a showerhead or
something.

Also look at the ingredients of "CLR" cleaner. It sounds like citric
acid may be an active ingredient.

بازرگانی شیمیایی تهران

Feb 9, 2022, 2:17:18 AM2/9/22
Hi all you can buy citric acid from this site,
https://tehran-chem.com/citric_acid/

Frank

Feb 9, 2022, 2:30:14 PM2/9/22
You can buy it at Walmart.