What solvent to use to dissolve grease

J. Kimberlin

Nov 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/19/95
In article <48nupr$9...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
lbliao <lbl...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>I have tried dissolving grease in acetone without success. It doesnot dissolve
>well in kerosine oil either. I am looking for a solvent. where can I buy that
>solvent off the shelf, and where can I buy grease also off the shelf.
>
>Will the solvent precipitate grease on evaporating?
>
>Please contact via email.
>Thanks a lot!
>
>lbliao

Chlorinated solvents are the best to use. Some of these might be: Freon
113, Carbon Tetrachloride, Chloroform, 1,1,1 trichloroethane,
dichloromethane. All of these are dangerous to breath and must be used
in a hood or outside and preferably not used at all.

You can also use Toluene, even gasoline. But grease is a mixture of
lithium or sodium oleate plus a base oil. The base oil will disolve
quite readily in diesel or gasoline, but some of the soap will remain.
Sometimes a mixture of toluene and methanol works well, other times not
so well.

Lastly, once the grease is actually gone you can use acetone to dry out
the part.

JerryK

HARRY MOREL

Nov 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/19/95

>I have tried dissolving grease in acetone without success. It doesnot dissolve
>well in kerosene oil either. I am looking for a solvent. where can I buy that

>solvent off the shelf, and where can I buy grease also off the shelf. Will
the solvent precipitate grease on evaporating?

DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is used as a grease "cutter". "Likes dissolve
likes", so you could use an oil for the first phase, and a solvent for the
second. The DMSO might answer your second part.

Stephen Eisenstein

Nov 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/20/95
In <48odcm$d...@news.asu.edu> bri...@aztec.asu.edu (HARRY MOREL) writes:
>DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is used as a grease "cutter". "Likes
dissolve
>likes", so you could use an oil for the first phase, and a solvent for
the
>second. The DMSO might answer your second part.

Yup, DMSO will dissolve the thickener system and maybe even the grease
but its high boiling point will preclude any further work with the
solution.

Steve

John M. Stuart

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
In <48nups$9...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> lbl...@alumni.caltech.edu (lbliao)
writes:
I am looking for a solvent. where can I buy that
>solvent off the shelf, and where can I buy grease also off the shelf.
>
>Will the solvent precipitate grease on evaporating?

For really tough oxidized old grease that can be really difficult to
get off, I use Hoppe's No. 9 gun cleaning solvent. It works well. I
have uses this on an old lathe that was in storage for fifteen years,
and it started to look like new. Gasoline and kerosine did not work as
well.

You can use any solvent to desolve grease to make it thinner. You can
also use a solvent to allow the thinned grease to get into places that
may otherwise need a light oil to penetrate. But, "precipitate" is not
the correct word. The grease will be thinned, and will thicken when
the solvent eventually evaporates. Many greases are simply oils with
thickeners of one type or another.

J. M. Stuart

Soren LaForce

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
In article <48nups$9...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> lbliao,
lbl...@alumni.caltech.edu writes:
In article <48nups$9...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> lbliao,

lbl...@alumni.caltech.edu writes:
>I have tried dissolving grease in acetone without success. It doesnot
dissolve
>well in kerosine oil either. I am looking for a solvent. where can I buy

that
>solvent off the shelf, and where can I buy grease also off the shelf.
>
>Will the solvent precipitate grease on evaporating?
>
>Please contact via email.
>Thanks a lot!
>
>lbliao

Go to any auto parts store.

Buy a can of Brake Cleaner, this stuff disolves just about
anything. Even better is Gun Scrubber (1-1-1 TCE). Brake
Cleaner used to be 1-1-1 TCE but is now some non-clorinated
solvent that gives you a *much worse* headache if you use
it without adequate ventilation (like a 2hp fan behind you).

Buy a can of grease.

--Soren
soren_...@qmgate.arc.nasa.gov

E. Kruiswijk jr

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
to J. Kimberlin
Dissolve some NaOH in ethanol. Leave it for some days.

Mark Mathys

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95

> In <48nups$9...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> lbl...@alumni.caltech.edu (lbliao)
> writes:
> I am looking for a solvent. where can I buy that
> >solvent off the shelf, and where can I buy grease also off the shelf.

You can buy grease at any automotive supply, heavy equipment dealer, farm
supply, etc. (assuming your talking lubricating grease).

As for removing grease, you can use the solvents mentioned in the other
posts, or you can use a hot sodium hydroxide solution (lye). Beware that
it is corrosive and very harmful to living tissue, especially eyes. Be
careful!

Orest I Koroluk

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
In article <mmathys-2211...@sl2.tic.bismarck.nd.us>,

mma...@tic.bisman.com (Mark Mathys) wrote:

> As for removing grease, you can use the solvents mentioned in the other
> posts, or you can use a hot sodium hydroxide solution (lye). Beware that
> it is corrosive and very harmful to living tissue, especially eyes. Be
> careful!

It is also an extremely quick way to damage aluminum parts.

Orest

--

Orest I. Koroluk
Technical Officer~Agent technique

ACANDK

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
In article <30B358...@worldaccess.nl>, "E. Kruiswijk jr"
<E...@worldaccess.nl> wrote:

> Dissolve some NaOH in ethanol. Leave it for some days.

--
aca...@ptd.net

John Moran

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95
Orest I Koroluk (koro...@rmc.ca) wrote:
: In article <mmathys-2211...@sl2.tic.bismarck.nd.us>,

: mma...@tic.bisman.com (Mark Mathys) wrote:
: >
: > As for removing grease, you can use the solvents mentioned in the other
: > posts, or you can use a hot sodium hydroxide solution (lye). Beware that
: > it is corrosive and very harmful to living tissue, especially eyes. Be
: > careful!

: It is also an extremely quick way to damage aluminum parts.

If you can get ahold of some ALS (Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate), the avtive
ingredient in many shampoos including Revlon's Flex, add a salt to the
ALS until it thickens into a thing gel. apply the gel to whatever you
want to degrease and let it sit for a while...repeat this several times...

by Salt, I was referring to any salt..not necessarily Sodium
Chlorida..Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt) works too.

Toluene does a good job of cutting greasy and asphaltic materials. I used
toluene to clean up stuff when i worked in an oil company research lab.

IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) or MEOH (Methanol) will also work..we used these
solvents successfully to remove castor oil from parts in a pharmeceutical
plant.

hope this helps JOHN
JOHN/PHX (jam...@analon.com) computing & making good Chemistry!

Jason Gillmore

Dec 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/10/95
Ethyl acetate works well, especially on high vac grease for ground
glass joints

Jason
(540)232-6232
gill...@vt.edu
"Sanity is not statistical." -- George Orwell, _1984_
"why does it come as a surprise/ to think that i was so
naive/ maybe didn't mean so much/ but it meant everything
to me." -- Trent Reznor
"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But
the greatest of these is love." -- I Corinthians 13:13 (NIV)
"In my dream I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows
they learned to swim." -- U2
"This is not a black and white world..." -- Live
"Synthetic Organic Chemistry Rules!!!!" -- Me
(and the rest of the intellectual elite)

Cluless

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
gill...@vt.edu (Jason Gillmore) wrote:

>Ethyl acetate works well, especially on high vac grease for ground
>glass joints

Methylene chloride is the best. Forget the rest.

بازرگانی شیمیایی تهران

Nov 9, 2021, 4:04:54 AM11/9/21
On Sunday, November 19, 1995 at 11:30:00 AM UTC+3:30, J. Kimberlin wrote:
> In article <48nupr$9...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
> lbliao <lbl...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> >I have tried dissolving grease in acetone without success. It doesnot dissolve
> >well in kerosine oil either. I am looking for a solvent. where can I buy that
> >solvent off the shelf, and where can I buy grease also off the shelf.
> >
> >Will the solvent precipitate grease on evaporating?
> >
> >Please contact via email.
> >Thanks a lot!
> >
> >lbliao
> Chlorinated solvents are the best to use. Some of these might be: Freon
> 113, Carbon Tetrachloride, Chloroform, 1,1,1 trichloroethane,
> dichloromethane. All of these are dangerous to breath and must be used
> in a hood or outside and preferably not used at all.
> You can also use Toluene, even gasoline. But grease is a mixture of
> lithium or sodium oleate plus a base oil. The base oil will disolve
> quite readily in diesel or gasoline, but some of the soap will remain.
> Sometimes a mixture of toluene and methanol works well, other times not
> so well.
> Lastly, once the grease is actually gone you can use acetone to dry out
> the part.
> JerryK
you can dissolve grease with isopropyl and MEK
https://tehran-chem.com/

mehdi anvaria

Jul 3, 2023, 8:28:59 AM7/3/23