How and why did White British Colonists ‘Stuff Up’ the Better Ideas of Brown, Black & Yellow Mathematics Teachers so Badly?

FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

Apr 24, 2022, 11:19:09 AM4/24/22

https://jonathanjcrabtree.medium.com/how-did-white-western-historians-stuff-up-the-superior-ideas-of-black-eastern-math-teachers-so-f34ccde99ec9

How and why did White British Colonists ‘Stuff Up’ the Better Ideas of
Brown, Black & Yellow Mathematics Teachers so Badly?

Hint: History is written by the oppressors not the oppressed!

“Children do 5 – 2 in grade 1. They do 2 – 5 six years later? Is
this like not one of most insidious mistakes in our curriculum?”

The above quote appeared in an article titled Racism and a Global
Pandemic Has Given Math Education a New Telescope. Where is the Microscope?

Before we answer the question of when and how to teach 2 – 5, ask this.
In 50 years will primary level math education be much different? Will
math teachers as transmitters of knowledge be online digital avatars
powered by interactive one-on-one AI programs or classroom robots
assisted by human aids? Will computers finally teach us the truth about
mathematics?

Before I address the black and white history of mathematics education, I
suggest you add the following YouTube video to your ‘watch list’ as it
provides the necessary evidence to support much of what follows.

In case you’re not interest in academic lectures, let it be known I use
plenty of cartoons to make my points in the video, like the following.

Later on in this article you will come to know that in mathematics, 2 –
5 and its negative answer are really simple to understand. So, if your
reaction is “Negative numbers are really confusing”, can we look to the
Collins dictionary for the meaning of ‘negative’ in both general and
mathematical usage?

Let’s try…

DICTIONARY & ‘NEGATIVE’

1. ADJECTIVE

A fact, situation, or experience that is negative is unpleasant,
depressing, or harmful.

The news from overseas is overwhelmingly negative. All this had an
extremely negative effect on the criminal justice system.

10. ADJECTIVE [usually ADJECTIVE noun]

A negative number, quantity, or measurement is LESS THAN ZERO. (My bold
caps.)

The weakest students can end up with a negative score.

Not only do negatives sound depressing, they also seem confusing!

Numbers simply count or measure quantities (nouns) and actions (verbs)
and it is impossible (in our universe) to have any quantity of matter or
energy (the stuff our universe is made of) that is less than zero.
Similarly, it’s impossible to have a number of actions that is ‘less
than zero’. As we will discover, Bharatiya (Ancient Indian) Maths is
consistent with modern laws of physics, yet the western math ideas
taught in classes 1 to 8 are not. Crazy!

For centuries, the West has been defining negative numbers as those
numbers that are less than zero, which is why so many understand maths
about as much as they understand ancient Greek! Ask the next person you
meet what the answer is to negative seven minus negative four and you’ll
see why!
To put you out of any negative math misery, imagine you’re in
Grade/Class 1 and it’s time to play the Happy Harappan Brick & Hole Game!

In this story you have a square-sided bucket and spade along with 2
cube-shaped bricks you made the day before. Yet, today’s challenge is to
sell 5 bricks! Starting with two bricks, five bricks need to be taken
away! (This is a real-world story for 2 – 5.)

2 – 5? NO PROBLEM SAY THE HAPPY HARAPPAN KIDS!

You don’t have enough bricks, so you dig 3 holes and make 3 more bricks.
Now there are 5 bricks and 3 holes. 5 bricks get taken away and 3 holes
remain!

Pretty soon, perhaps by Grade 2, some children will be extend their
imagination from pictures to words and then symbols like 2B – 5B = 3H
before they arrive at ⁺2 – ⁺5 = ⁻3.

NOTE: The Harappan or Indus Civilisation flourished around 5000 years
ago. It was famous for its precise math-based brickmaking. In 1947 it
became part of Pakistan with the exit of the colonial British Raj rulers
and the formation of modern India.
RESEARCH

In What Teens Want from Their Schools: A National Survey of High School
Student Engagement, among students considering dropping out, half cite
lack of engagement with the school as a main reason.

Of the 2000 year 10 to 12 American students in this survey,
mathematics is liked the least by a huge margin.

In the surveys I’ve seen, science is rarely the least liked subject at
school, while mathematics nearly always is. So, could it be that math
pedagogies have failed to evolve according to the scientific method or
simply, to reflect reality? If failure is feedback then why hasn’t
mathematics education ever been fixed? Kids failing to learn maths is
the same thing as adults failing to teach maths.

I hated math at school yet loved building things with electronics kits
and writing computer programs. I also loved art and music even if I
wasn’t very good. Kids love solving puzzles and are natural
problem-solvers so math should reflect the way the world actually works.
WHY MATH IS ALL GREEK TO ME!

Western elementary math education has been built upon arithmoi or
Ancient Greek pure number theory when it should have been built on the
arithmos or applied applications of Ancient India. Ancient Greek
arithmetic was based on theoretical logic where geometry was not allowed
to have numbers by people like Aristotle and numbers were not allowed to
have units by people like Nicomachus!

Thus, today we are told negative four is greater than negative seven,
which is and has always been absolute nonsense! Teachers often say
negatives are like debts, yet a debt of $7 is GREATER THAN a debt of $4.
Why is ⁻7 > ⁻4?

ARGUMENT 1 Larger numbers squared exceed smaller numbers squared.
⁺7 × ⁺7 = ⁺49 and ⁺4 × ⁺4 = ⁺16. As 49 > 16 we MUST accept ⁺7 > ⁺4.
⁻7 × ⁻7 = ⁺49 and ⁻4 × ⁻4 = ⁺16. As 49 > 16 we MUST accept ⁻7 > ⁻4.

ARGUMENT 2 Equality is preserved across sign.
⁻4/⁻7 = ⁺4/⁺7 as both ratios of top/bottom are the same. 4 negatives are
less than 7 negatives just as 4 positives are less than 7 positives.

ARGUMENT 3 The East got it correct!

In both ancient Chinese and Indian maths, a larger number subtracted
from a smaller number of the same sign changes the sign of the answer.
⁺4 – ⁺7 = ⁻3 therefore, ⁺7 > ⁺4
⁻4 – ⁻7 = ⁺3 therefore, ⁻7 > ⁻4

ARGUMENT 4 It’s how physics works!

7 positrons are greater than 4 positrons.
7 electrons are greater than 4 electrons.

7 (negative) electrons are greater than 4 (positive) positrons because
after they meet 3 (negative) electrons remain, so ⁻7 > ⁺4.

“LESS THAN ZERO” IS NONSENSE!

Numbers simply count or measure quantities (nouns) and actions (verbs)
and it is impossible (in our universe) to have any quantity of matter or
energy (the stuff our universe is made of) that is less than zero.
Similarly, it’s impossible to have a number of actions that is ‘less
than zero’. As you will discover at my new podometic maths website
Ancient Indian Maths foundations are consistent with modern laws of
physics from Class 1. Dishonest complexity is out and true simplexity is in!

Kids not liking maths or dropping mathematics at the first opportunity
at school have reduced career choices because math is an important
foundation for further study at university, especially for Science,
Technology, Engineering and Medicine.

OK, many fear school mathematics, but WHY?

British Maths was built for 1, 2, 3… based on Ancient Greek
philosophy and looking to the ground 300 BCE.
India’s simpler Maths was built for …⁻3 ⁻2 ⁻1 0 +1 +2 +3… based on
science and looking to the stars 628 CE.

So, the maths education ideas the British Empire spread throughout its
settlements and colonies were based on ideas that were almost 1000 years
out-of-date! You update your computer’s operating system every few
years. You might also update your phone every few years. What about your
maths?

As a historian with decades of learning and research, it’s OBVIOUS to me
why the world dislikes British primary level maths education. MANY
TEACHING IDEAS ARE WRONG!!! My research (download PDF here) reveals the
West NEVER updated its thinking from the 7th Century about the true
meaning of India’s zero and negative numbers! That’s truly bizarre!

Importantly, so bridges didn’t fall down, many laws and rules were
invented to FORCE answers to have the correct answer. Let that sink in a
moment. Many laws and rules of maths we were told to commit to memory at
school were actually workarounds and bug fixes needed to fix broken
western maths foundations!

As Europe reverted to ancient Greek mathematics during the Renaissance,
it failed to realise that the 300 BCE ‘Euclidean’ foundations that
underpinned its definition of ‘number’ and ‘multiplication’ for example,
should have been updated (as per the scientific method) around 700 CE
after the writings of Brahmagupta, who gave mathematical rules of zero,
negative and positive.

Around 300 BCE, Euclid (whom Raju argues may have been a black woman)
had defined number as a multitude of units. That meant 1 was not
considered a number because 1 was not a multitude. The Medieval Arabic
world, as evident in the influential writings of al-Khwārizmī,
al-Uqlīdisī and others, had also been led to believe that 1 was not a
number.

Brahmagupta’s definition of zero as the number that is the sum of equal
and opposite quantities, (consistent with modern laws of physics), sadly
amounted to nothing.

Three quick points…

Brahmagupta defined zero as a number and wrote the original simple
laws of mathematics in the 7th century.
Yet his definition of zero and laws of (+ – × ÷) on positive and
negative numbers were not understood in the Arabic world!
Maths is confusing today because the West got its knowledge of
India’s maths via the Arabic world!

So, the white British Raj in India was unaware it was forcing a
corrupted system of mathematics onto those very people whose original
black maths teachers like Āryabhaṭa, Bhāskara and Brahmagupta originally
crafted it to perfection!
WHY?

Actually, even if the British did know, it didn’t care. You oppress
people most effectively by denying them their own culture.

Indian Professor Dr. C. K. Raju has undertaken considerable
(confronting) research into the history of mathematics his book ‘The
Cultural Foundations of Mathematics’.

=== [The APA Citation for educators follows]

Raju, C. K., & Project of history of Indian science, philosophy, and
culture. (2007). Cultural foundations of mathematics: The nature of
mathematical proof and the transmission of the calculus from India to
Europe in the 16th c. CE. (Towards independence.) Delhi: Pearson
Longman, Project of history of Indian Science, philosophy and culture.

===

My guess is you were once taught the 600 BCE Ancient Greek Pythagoras’
Theorem at school.

The area of the square on the longest side (hypotenuse) of a
right-angled triangle is equal to the sum of the squares on the other
two sides.

My guess is you were not told the first known country to state the
theorem was India, around 200 years before the Greeks. It should be
called the Baudhayana Theorem. Is it just a coincidence that as the
British Empire extracted wealth from India it argued for the supremacy
of Western Greek knowledge via Pythagoras and Euclid?

“Decolonization requires contesting the false history of science used to
set up colonial education essential to colonization — the same false
history that was used to morally justify racism, by asserting the
noncreativity of Blacks.” (Raju, C. K. (2017). Black Thoughts Matter.)

More thoughts from C. K. Raju include:

===

… for the colonized, “expertise” and the validity of all knowledge must
be decided by reference to “reputed” Western (or Western-approved)
experts. This epistemic dependence has political value, but for the
master not the slave.

Macaulay used a false history that science was a Western creation to
justify imposing colonial education needed to win the consent of the ruled.

This was the classic colonial line, to use colonial education to produce
White minds in Black or Brown skins, enslaved minds who would hence help
run colonial empires.

To send a spacecraft to Mars, NASA still uses (a minor refinement of)
much the same numerical method developed by Aryabhata, and today wrongly
named as “Euler’s” method of numerically solving ordinary differential
equations.

Hence the conclusion to undo both colonialism and racism one must start
by teaching a more honest history of science.

===

Thus, the British Empire displaced indigenous knowledge bases and the
world remains infected with mathematical nonsense today that without its
bug fixes and workarounds (known as laws) has no connection with
physical reality!

If you’d like to learn more about the superiority of India’s ancient
original zero-based mathematics, head over to www.podometic.in or follow
me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jcrabtree

Thanks for reading and make your life count! Maths sense is Black over
White!

Best wishes
Jonathan J. Crabtree
Education Researcher + Historian
Founder of www.Podometic.in (Bharatiya) Maths

P.S. The story of how zero and the great ideas of maths teachers like
Brahmagupta went astray are noted in the 36 minute slideshow below
(followed by a Q&A).

P.P.S. Show some support! Sign the petition @ www.change.org/Brahmagupta

Commander Kinsey

Apr 27, 2022, 6:36:54 PM4/27/22
On Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:19:05 +0100, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> https://jonathanjcrabtree.medium.com/how-did-white-western-historians-stuff-up-the-superior-ideas-of-black-eastern-math-teachers-so-f34ccde99ec9
>
> How and why did White British Colonists ‘Stuff Up’ the Better Ideas of
> Brown, Black & Yellow Mathematics Teachers so Badly?
>
> Hint: History is written by the oppressors not the oppressed!

Keep your anti white shit out of here.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Commander Kinsey

Apr 29, 2022, 3:50:47 AM4/29/22
On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:24:35 +0100, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 4/28/2022 9:29 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:54:19 +0100, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Shut the fuck up you FILTHY GENOCIDAL BARBARIC RACIST confused gender
>>> WHITE THIEF.
>>
>> Wash the dirt off your skin, if you can.
>
> Shut the fuck up you FILTHY GENOCIDAL BARBARIC RACIST confused gender
> WHITE THIEF.

You already said that, keep up at the back you uneducated nigger.

> I would have PUT FEAR OF GOD

God doesn't exist, are you 6? Do you still believe in the tooth fairy?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted