Uncle Al

Dan

May 19, 2003, 11:13:04 AM5/19/03
I haven't been able to keep up with this newsgroup, but where is Uncle
Al? He is the best participant in the ongoing discussions.

Bruce Hamilton

May 19, 2003, 3:05:38 PM5/19/03
On Mon, 19 May 2003 10:13:04 -0500, Dan <mgi...@nospam.uiuc.edu>
wrote:

>I haven't been able to keep up with this newsgroup, but where is Uncle
>Al? He is the best participant in the ongoing discussions.

Each to their own. Uncle Al became petulant, stomped off to other
playgrounds, and is demanding an apology from Richard Schultz before
coming back. I enjoyed the group before Uncle Al, during Uncle Al, and
now after Uncle Al, your mileage may vary. Life goes on......

The original spat and departure annoucement appeared in a thread
called Negative Expansion Materials.

[ Extracted below ]
sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il wrote:
> Uncle Al <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote:
> : EdiSon wrote:
> :> Uncle Al <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote:
> :> Nothing.
> : Don't plagiarize.
> Why? You do it.
> Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
Since you want to be the kingshit nigger in sci.chem, Uncle Al is
going away. It's all yours, buddy boy.
Bye, folks. Dr. Schultz will answer all your technical queries.
--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

[ End Extract ]

Bruce Hamilton

Tracie Parks

May 19, 2003, 5:57:56 PM5/19/03

"Bruce Hamilton" <B.Ham...@irl.cri.nz> wrote in message

I think perhaps it is Richard Schultz who should be demanding the apology..!

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il

May 20, 2003, 6:24:56 AM5/20/03
In article <3ec927de....@newshost.comnet.co.nz>, Bruce Hamilton <B.Ham...@irl.cri.nz> wrote:

: Each to their own. Uncle Al became petulant, stomped off to other

: playgrounds, and is demanding an apology from Richard Schultz before
: coming back.

I have not seen any requests from Uncle Al for an apology. He is presumably
smart enough to realize that he is in no position to ask for one, and that
I have not done anything to him that requires one. If he really left
because of me (which I doubt), it would be the first time in my experience
that standing up to a bully actually accomplished something.

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad."

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il

May 20, 2003, 6:26:33 AM5/20/03
In article <3EC8F47F...@nospam.uiuc.edu>, Dan <mgi...@nospam.uiuc.edu> wrote:
: I haven't been able to keep up with this newsgroup, but where is Uncle

: Al? He is the best participant in the ongoing discussions.

Apparently, usenet was taking too much time away from his business endeavors:

http://www.unclealsfrymix.com

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----

"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Bruce Hamilton

May 20, 2003, 7:36:47 AM5/20/03
<sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il> wrote:

>In article <3ec927de....@newshost.comnet.co.nz>, Bruce Hamilton <B.Ham...@irl.cri.nz> wrote:
>
>: Each to their own. Uncle Al became petulant, stomped off to other
>: playgrounds, and is demanding an apology from Richard Schultz before
>: coming back.
>
>I have not seen any requests from Uncle Al for an apology. He is presumably
>smart enough to realize that he is in no position to ask for one, and that
>I have not done anything to him that requires one. If he really left
>because of me (which I doubt), it would be the first time in my experience
>that standing up to a bully actually accomplished something.

From the Thread " Introduction" in a message dated 09 May 2003

[ Begin detail ]

Still is. When Dr. Schultz pulls his thumb out of his ass and
apologizes, I'll come back.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" The Net!

[ End Detail ]

Bruce Hamilton

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il

May 20, 2003, 8:33:27 AM5/20/03
In article <ni4kcv4iamh66sftr...@4ax.com>, Bruce Hamilton <B.Ham...@irl.cri.nz> wrote:

: Still is. When Dr. Schultz pulls his thumb out of his ass and

: apologizes, I'll come back.

Thank you for bringing this humorous post to my attention. If all it
takes to keep Uncle Al out of sci.chem is to refuse to apologize for
accurately characterizing him as a liar, then the job turned out to
be a good deal less troublesome than I would have thought.

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----

"It is terrible to die of thirst in the ocean. Do you have to salt your
truth so heavily that it does not even quench thirst any more?"

Mohammed Farooq

May 20, 2003, 11:37:39 AM5/20/03
<sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il> wrote in message news:<bacvpn$h8c$1...@news.iucc.ac.il>...

> In article <3ec927de....@newshost.comnet.co.nz>, Bruce Hamilton <B.Ham...@irl.cri.nz> wrote:
>
> : Each to their own. Uncle Al became petulant, stomped off to other
> : playgrounds, and is demanding an apology from Richard Schultz before
> : coming back.
>
> I have not seen any requests from Uncle Al for an apology. He is presumably
> smart enough to realize that he is in no position to ask for one, and that
> I have not done anything to him that requires one. If he really left
> because of me (which I doubt), it would be the first time in my experience
> that standing up to a bully actually accomplished something.

I also feel the same. Did Uncle Al leave sci.chem just because of a
single person and took his posts so seriously .

HikerAd

May 20, 2003, 12:12:31 PM5/20/03
I would say GOOD RIDDANCE.
He insulted just about every minority (even Canadians) on this and other NGs.
He needs to appolgize to a lot of people.
If he never comes back, it would be too soon !

Regards,

Mike Darrett

May 20, 2003, 4:39:24 PM5/20/03
B.Ham...@irl.cri.nz (Bruce Hamilton) wrote in message news:<3ec927de....@newshost.comnet.co.nz>...

He's G O N E ? ! ! ! ?

Mike Darrett

Mike Darrett

May 20, 2003, 6:04:23 PM5/20/03
hik...@aol.com (HikerAd) wrote in message news:<20030520121231...@mb-m18.aol.com>...

He insulted even his own ethnic group. Unusual fellow. Highly gifted, though.

Did he leave sci.physics too???

Mike

Josh Halpern

May 20, 2003, 8:29:36 PM5/20/03

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il wrote:

>In article <ni4kcv4iamh66sftr...@4ax.com>, Bruce Hamilton <B.Ham...@irl.cri.nz> wrote:
>
>: Still is. When Dr. Schultz pulls his thumb out of his ass and
>: apologizes, I'll come back.
>
>Thank you for bringing this humorous post to my attention. If all it
>takes to keep Uncle Al out of sci.chem is to refuse to apologize for
>accurately characterizing him as a liar, then the job turned out to
>be a good deal less troublesome than I would have thought.

Sometimes the best policy is simply to smile and be quiet. Don't
disturb the bears.

josh halpern

c....@gmx.net

May 21, 2003, 5:05:27 AM5/21/03
I don't get it.
To me every screenname is just a possible source of information. I can not
feel insulted, become embarassed or see any thumbs in asses by someone
hundreds or thousands of miles away.
And if one of the screennames would ask for an apology, I would gladly
type it into the computer to keep usenet alive.
Dear readers: Please ask for apologies because I called you "screenname".

jmfb...@aol.com

May 21, 2003, 4:56:22 AM5/21/03
In article <0rgmcvccnnen6ofj4...@4ax.com>,
friend <me.at...@universe.org> wrote:
>On 20 May 2003 15:04:23 -0700, mike-...@darrettenterprises.com

>(Mike Darrett) wrote:
>

>>He insulted even his own ethnic group. Unusual fellow. Highly gifted,
though.

>>Did he leave sci.physics too???
>>
>>Mike
>

>which is???

The human race.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

John Sefton

May 21, 2003, 11:17:27 AM5/21/03

jmfb...@aol.com wrote:
> In article <0rgmcvccnnen6ofj4...@4ax.com>,
> friend <me.at...@universe.org> wrote:
>
>>On 20 May 2003 15:04:23 -0700, mike-...@darrettenterprises.com
>>(Mike Darrett) wrote:
>>

>>>He insulted even his own ethnic group. Unusual fellow. Highly gifted,
>>
> though.
>
>>>Did he leave sci.physics too???
>>>
>>>Mike
>>

>>which is???
>

> The human race.

> `
KKK

Daniel J. Stern

May 20, 2003, 12:42:32 PM5/20/03
On Tue, 20 May 2003, Bruce Hamilton quoted Uncle Al:

> From the Thread " Introduction" in a message dated 09 May 2003

> When Dr. Schultz pulls his thumb out of his ass and
> apologizes, I'll come back.

Dr. Schultz, you are now the keymaster. Please don't apologize!

DS

Richard Schultz

May 22, 2003, 6:15:22 AM5/22/03
In article <Pine.SOL.4.44.03052...@alumni.engin.umich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern <das...@engin.umich> wrote:
: On Tue, 20 May 2003, Bruce Hamilton quoted Uncle Al:

I have no intention of apologizing -- certainly not before Uncle Al
makes a public admission of the errors and lies in which I have caught him.
I do not believe that one needs to apologize for having pointed out the
lies that a liar has told.

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----

jmfb...@aol.com

May 22, 2003, 6:16:04 AM5/22/03
In article <3ECB988...@accesscomm.ca>,

John Sefton <veg...@accesscomm.ca> wrote:

>jmfb...@aol.com wrote:
>> In article <0rgmcvccnnen6ofj4...@4ax.com>,
>> friend <me.at...@universe.org> wrote:

>> though.

>>>which is???
>>

>> The human race.
>> `
>KKK

Nope. Uncle provides a service here. Not only does he comment
when the emperor has no clothes, he takes time to analyze the
condition of the royal dick.

If you ever bother to read Uncle's answers, you'll find a pun
or two buried in most of the originals.

Richard Schultz

May 22, 2003, 8:20:25 AM5/22/03
In sci.chem jmfb...@aol.com wrote:

: Nope. Uncle provides a service here. Not only does he comment

: when the emperor has no clothes, he takes time to analyze the
: condition of the royal dick.

People who think that the emperor has no clothes are probably well advised
not to live in a house without any mirrors.

Bill Vajk

May 22, 2003, 8:37:51 AM5/22/03
jmfb...@aol.com wrote:

> If you ever bother to read Uncle's answers, you'll find a pun
> or two buried in most of the originals.

Every wannabe tyrant works at being lovable to
onlookers. Even the self appointment of the handle
"Uncle Al" plays into that gambit.

If one is at a party where the host is behaving as
Al Schwartz does, how many would stay because
they're amused? Those who approve by staying are
precisely the ones I don't want to know in future.

YMMV

William J. Vajk
Techny, Illinois

Bill Vajk

May 22, 2003, 9:50:22 AM5/22/03
friend wrote:
> looks, having inferiority coplex?
> High moral ground looser.

Troll.

Richard Saam

May 22, 2003, 10:32:42 AM5/22/03

What I do not understand is: if Uncle Al really wants to post on this
newsgroup, why he allowed himself to get cornered by Schultz's sense of
absolutism. There must be a raw nerve there only touched by a brother.
None of the other Don Quixote windmills seemed to bother him.

Apparently a Schultz statement requiring apology was posted. Exactly
what was that statement?

Is there room for arbitration?

Richard Saam

friend wrote:

>noone is perfect, but some are better that the others. Having redneck
>UA is still better option than smarties like yourself. it looks too
>many of his opponents are envyful of his skills and popularity.

jmfb...@aol.com

May 22, 2003, 9:03:16 AM5/22/03
In article <3ECCC391...@hotmail.ditchthis.com>,

Bill Vajk <bill9...@hotmail.ditchthis.com> wrote:
>jmfb...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> If you ever bother to read Uncle's answers, you'll find a pun
>> or two buried in most of the originals.
>
>Every wannabe tyrant works at being lovable to
>onlookers. Even the self appointment of the handle
>"Uncle Al" plays into that gambit.

He didn't give himself that title. It was give to him because
of an incident.
If you bother to read what he writes rather than react before
clicking, you'ld know that.

jmfb...@aol.com

May 22, 2003, 9:05:12 AM5/22/03
In article <baifa9$3a7$1...@news.iucc.ac.il>,

sch...@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:
>In sci.chem jmfb...@aol.com wrote:
>
>: Nope. Uncle provides a service here. Not only does he comment
>: when the emperor has no clothes, he takes time to analyze the
>: condition of the royal dick.
>
>People who think that the emperor has no clothes are probably well advised
>not to live in a house without any mirrors.

Excuse me. I should have written 'wearing no clothes'.

Daniel J. Stern

May 22, 2003, 11:32:39 AM5/22/03
On Thu, 22 May 2003, friend wrote:

> noone is perfect,

Indeed.

> but some are better that the others. Having redneck
> UA is still better option than smarties like yourself. it looks too
> many of his opponents are envyful of his skills and popularity.

..."envyful"?

Come back when you can assemble a simple, coherent sentence.

DS

Bill Vajk

May 22, 2003, 12:20:03 PM5/22/03
jmfb...@aol.com wrote:

>>jmfb...@aol.com wrote:

>>>If you ever bother to read Uncle's answers, you'll find a pun
>>>or two buried in most of the originals.

>>Every wannabe tyrant works at being lovable to
>>onlookers. Even the self appointment of the handle
>>"Uncle Al" plays into that gambit.

> He didn't give himself that title. It was give to him because
> of an incident.

No one had to twist his arm to make him use it. The
story is part of the gambit that you fell for hook,
line, and sinker. Each of us has a fan or few who
present endearing comments. It takes a particular
sort of affectation to make such comments your name.

I have no problem with your liking Al. It takes all
kinds to fill this world. I'm not one of the groupies
and had thought better of you till now.

> If you bother to read what he writes rather than react
> before clicking, you'ld know that.

My history with Al Schwartz spans about 5 years, placing
your little comment in the asinine category. If you'd
read what I wrote before clicking you'd know that. He's
been wrong and written stupid things more than once in
that time. Be careful lest you become known by your
heroes. Oops, too late!

I'll give him credit for being technically correct
more than not. It doesn't excuse his conduct. Nothing
can.

Ralconte

May 22, 2003, 2:32:59 PM5/22/03
Dan <mgi...@nospam.uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:<3EC8F47F...@nospam.uiuc.edu>...

> I haven't been able to keep up with this newsgroup, but where is Uncle
> Al? He is the best participant in the ongoing discussions.

If the entire story interests anyone, go to google groups. You can
click on the any author's name and see all their posts across the
years in any group on any topic. Our favorite uncle is rude, and
that's the understatement of the millennium. But I value his answers
over anyone else's who posts here regularly.

Edward Green

May 22, 2003, 3:12:10 PM5/22/03
jmfb...@aol.com wrote in message news:<baiop6$elv$6...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

Not necessarily contradictory. In fact, if a tyrant wants to be
called "Our beloved father", he will want to be the all unwilling and
modest recipient of this title ("They _will_ talk of me that way --
gosh"). In Al's case, I know the incident you speak of -- and while
tradition may have given him the title Uncle, it was up to Al how much
to make of it.

Yet another post in the tradition of Alology! He is surely one of the
most talked about posters -- he must love it.

Mark Thorson

May 22, 2003, 3:46:45 PM5/22/03
Ralconte wrote:

Hear, hear! I agree completely!

Bill Vajk

May 22, 2003, 4:17:29 PM5/22/03
Edward Green wrote:

> Yet another post in the tradition of Alology! He is surely one of the
> most talked about posters -- he must love it.

The value dissonance is truly astonishing!

Terry Wilder

May 22, 2003, 5:04:49 PM5/22/03

"Richard Saam" <rds...@att.net> wrote in message

Some people who know not most of the answers themselves can patiently wait
for others to make mistakes, then sit and idle gossip the whole day through.
Sound familiar!

Dr. Zarkov

May 22, 2003, 5:39:20 PM5/22/03
"Edward Green" <null...@aol.com> wrote ...

> jmfb...@aol.com wrote in message news:<baiop6$elv$6...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> > >Every wannabe tyrant works at being lovable to
> > >onlookers. Even the self appointment of the handle
> > >"Uncle Al" plays into that gambit.
> >
> > He didn't give himself that title. It was give to him because
> > of an incident.
> > If you bother to read what he writes rather than react before
> > clicking, you'ld know that.
>
> Not necessarily contradictory. In fact, if a tyrant wants to be
> called "Our beloved father", he will want to be the all unwilling and
> modest recipient of this title ("They _will_ talk of me that way --
> gosh"). In Al's case, I know the incident you speak of -- and while
> tradition may have given him the title Uncle, it was up to Al how much
> to make of it.

"Wannabe tyrant"? Uncle Al? Really?

Steve Turner

May 22, 2003, 8:47:31 PM5/22/03
sch...@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) wrote:

>I have no intention of apologizing -- certainly not before Uncle Al
>makes a public admission of the errors and lies in which I have caught him.
>I do not believe that one needs to apologize for having pointed out the
>lies that a liar has told.

You and Al are very much alike. Each of you is a legend in his own
mind.

Steve Turner

Real address contains worldnet instead of spamnet

Bruce Hamilton

May 22, 2003, 10:21:38 PM5/22/03
On 22 May 2003 11:32:59 -0700, ralc...@hotmail.com (Ralconte) wrote:

> Our favorite uncle is rude, and
>that's the understatement of the millennium. But I value his answers
>over anyone else's who posts here regularly.

Uncle Al decided to leave and set conditions for his return, that's
his choice. If he wishes, he can decide to return. As my earlier posts
noted some may value his posts, others may not.

I don't whine when one poster decides to spit the dummy and leave, or
leaves for very valid reasons, I just appreciate the contribution they
had time to make. There are many other posters to the group who
contribute positively and willingly, and I appreciate their
endeavours.

Sci.chem is a discussion group, not a platform for assailing others.
If people only came to read Uncle Al, they can move on if they wish.
Over the last 12 years or so, I've found many gems here, provided by
many authors. I expect that to continue.

Bruce Hamilton

Josh Halpern

May 22, 2003, 10:57:36 PM5/22/03

Bruce Hamilton wrote:

>I don't whine when one poster decides to spit the dummy and leave,

Where does this image come from? Seriously....it appears useful

josh halpern

Global

May 23, 2003, 12:09:59 AM5/23/03
"Josh Halpern" <j.ha...@incoming.verizon.net> wrote

> Bruce Hamilton wrote:
>
> >I don't whine when one poster decides to spit the dummy and leave,
> >
> Where does this image come from? Seriously....it appears useful

From:
http://notes.nt.gov.au/lant/hansard/HANSARD7.NSF/0/d06ae8f24d92a989482560fc0
00ce7eb?OpenDocument

Seventh Assembly First Session 04/10/94 Parliament Record No.4

Date : 04/10/94 Question No :

Question : Future Intentions of Chief Minister

Question Date : 05/10/94
Member : Mr EDE
To : CHIEF MINISTER

Information :
Will the Chief Minister concede that it is an important matter of policy, an
important matter for the management of this government and an important
matter for the management of the public service that they may have
confidence in his leadership by knowing whether he intends to remain or
whether he intends to spit the dummy and leave? Does he concede that that is
an important matter of public policy on which he should answer?

ANSWER

Mr Speaker, I do not often say things of this kind about myself, but I
simply advise the Leader of the Opposition that, when he manages to obtain
the standing as leader of his party that I believe that I have with mine, he
may ask that kind of question of me.

Members interjecting.

Mr SPEAKER: Order!

Page 169

Bruce Hamilton

May 23, 2003, 12:11:30 AM5/23/03

It is a New Zealand and Australian expression for getting very upset
and throwing a tantrum, usually over some trivial event. Origin is
probably from babies spitting out their dummy ( dummy equals American
pacifier ) and throwing a tantrum.

Another local word that is very useful is "shonky", usually used as
an adjective that means somebody may be dishonest and/or of dubious
integrity, or for something that is mechanically unreliable. It has
the correct resonances to even sound underhanded and dubious.

Bruce Hamilton

EdiSon

May 23, 2003, 1:52:18 AM5/23/03