Catharadin

Nathan John Clark

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
A student requires info. on this Coumpound. If you know anything
about this coumpound then please write and let me know. Thanks
for your help!

Nathan John Clark

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
If you have heard of this compound then please send me info. on
it. Thanks for your help.

Clark H. Cummins

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
In article <47c15g$9...@ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>, njc...@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca
(Nathan John Clark) wrote:

If you mean caNtharadin, it is an alleged aphrodisiac, commercially
available (Aldrich, for example), and is prepared by reduction of the
Diels-Alder adduct of dimethylmaleic anhydride and furan. See the entry
in the Merck Index for more information.

--
*********************
* Clark Cummins *

Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
to njc...@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca
Catharadin? Ain't no such. Perhaps a >student< requires info on
cantharidin. Really!

Cantharidin is the active principle in cantharides (Spanish Fly, blister
beetles). Despite its simple structure it >cannot< be assembled by a
straightforward Diels-Alder route with dimethylmaleic anhydride. van
Tamelen did the first sythesis. High pressure (multi-kilobar) synthesis
might work.

Check out the Marck Index, 11th ed., #1754 and 1755.

The stuff is a powerful vesicant, medically used to remove warts before
liquid nitrogen proved to be so efficacious. Ingestion leads to massive
irritation of the genito-urinary tract and tissue damage.

If your >student< is seeking an aphrodisiac, consider yohimbine - or a
recent shower plus a dozen roses.

--

Uncle Al knocks upon your door bearing gifts and gnosis. Are you
sliding down the razor blade of life? Yowl with Uncle Al!

http://vvv.com/adsint/freehand/uncleal/

Uncle Al is mind candy for the severely gifted. Cool Site of the Day,
Spider's Cool Places, Seeress of the Web vision, BIG List Way Cooool
Award, Terra IncogNETa STICK feature, Odin's Sighting of Today...
Updated every weekday for 10,000+ visitors!

Uncle Al is a WonderBra for your frontal lobes. Hoist those puppies!

Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz
uncl...@ix.netcom.com ("zero" after "uncleal")
http://vvv.com/adsint/freehand/uncleal/
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" The Net!

Peter Olbach

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
In article <47c15g$9...@ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca> njc...@acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca (Nathan John Clark) writes:

>A student requires info. on this Coumpound. If you know anything
>about this coumpound then please write and let me know. Thanks
>for your help!

I think you mean, "cantharidin", i.e. the notorious "Spanish Fly"
aphrodisiac.

If you are making this request in earnest (e.g. seeking help on a term
paper for a synthetic organic chem. course), then I suggest you check a book
entitled _The Logic of Chemical Synthesis_ , by Corey (I think). It has
examples (with references) of total syntheses of hundreds of natural
products, cantharidin being one of them. You should be able to track down
other details from that.

If OTOH you just want to get laid, all the information you need is this:
*IT DOESN'T WORK*. Mabye a cold shower will help...

{Actually, there's an interesting moral question there. What should we
(i.e. society) do if anyone ever comes up with a *working* aphrodisiac?
Wouldn't using that to "seduce" someone against his/her (probably "her")
will actually be rape?}
Another pearl of wisdom * "Brilliance! That's all I can say--sheer,
from Peter C. Olbach * unadulterated BRILLIANCE!" - Wile E. Coyote
Department of Chemistry * "There is pain and suffering in the world. Thanks
University of Waterloo * for adding to it, Killjoy." - P. J. O'Rourke

Clark H. Cummins

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <47dcfd$a...@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, Alan \"Uncle Al\" Schwartz
<uncl...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Catharadin? Ain't no such. Perhaps a >student< requires info on
> cantharidin. Really!
>
> Cantharidin is the active principle in cantharides (Spanish Fly, blister
> beetles). Despite its simple structure it >cannot< be assembled by a
> straightforward Diels-Alder route with dimethylmaleic anhydride. van
> Tamelen did the first sythesis. High pressure (multi-kilobar) synthesis
> might work.
>
> Check out the Marck Index, 11th ed., #1754 and 1755.
>
> The stuff is a powerful vesicant, medically used to remove warts before
> liquid nitrogen proved to be so efficacious. Ingestion leads to massive
> irritation of the genito-urinary tract and tissue damage.
>
> If your >student< is seeking an aphrodisiac, consider yohimbine - or a
> recent shower plus a dozen roses.
>
> --
>

> Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz
> uncl...@ix.netcom.com ("zero" after "uncleal")
> http://vvv.com/adsint/freehand/uncleal/
> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" The Net!

Actually, it CAN be made by a straightforward Diels-Alder route, using
exactly the conditions you suggest (high pressure). When I was a post-doc
at Berkeley there was an undergraduate in our group (Dauben's) who was
cranking this stuff out big-time using the press up at LBL.

Clark