Cesium Benzoate

John M Rhodes

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

Does anyone know where to obtain Cesium benzoate ?

--
Paul J. Franklin
moderator-sci.chem.organic.synthesis

Uncle Al

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

John M Rhodes wrote:

> Does anyone know where to obtain Cesium benzoate ?

Aldrich sells aqueous cesium hydroxide and benzoic acid. Mix in
equimolar amounts, lyophilize.

--
Uncle Al Schwartz
Uncl...@ix.netcom.com ("zero" before @)

Giovanni Cofone

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

Uncle Al wrote:

> John M Rhodes wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know where to obtain Cesium benzoate ?
>
> Aldrich sells aqueous cesium hydroxide and benzoic acid. Mix in
> equimolar amounts, lyophilize.

> As far as I know, Cesium benzoate is not commercially available.

A good method for preparation of this compound is to let react Cesium
Carbonate
(very easily available, e.g. from Alfa, the ceapest supplier for this
material, I presume)
with Benzoic Acid of analytical grade in stoichometric ammounts.
After this You have to evaporate the water. Use moderate temperatures to
let evaporate the water, since Cesium Benzoate decomposes at elevate
temperature (>80°C).
Recommended is evaporation under reduced atmospheric pressure (about
10mbar).

Best Regards

Giovanni