Duration of 1st charge of drill battery

Aloma

Feb 28, 2007, 8:26:39 PM2/28/07
My portable Tesco drill has a 9.6V 1000mAh battery pack. I don't know
what type of battery it is. The power supply "brick" outputs 12VDC
400mA to the charging stand which the battery sits in.

The instructions say to charge it for about 5 hours each time it gets
run down ... not to carry on charging because the charger does not
switch off when the battery is full ... 10 hours is the maximum
permissible.

Should the first charge be for a longer time to equalise the cells so
they are all fully charged. Maybe, 16 hours? Or would this be too
damaging?

Dave Platt

Feb 28, 2007, 9:17:11 PM2/28/07

16 hours looks like a substantial overcharge. If the DC supply is
actually delivering 400 mA, then a 1C charge time for a 1000 mAh pack
would be only 2.5 hours... throw in some losses and inefficiency and
I'd expect that 4 hours probably tops the cells up pretty well. The
5-hour number they give is probably quite reasonable. Anything much
beyond that, and you're simply trying to force current through
fully-charged cells, and heating them up as a result.

Even if the cells aren't *perfectly* matched in the pack, I'd expect
them to be within perhaps 10% of one another. A 6-hour charge ought
to be adequate to ensure full charge even if there are differences
between the cells.

--
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> AE6EO

ehsjr

Feb 28, 2007, 10:56:55 PM2/28/07

Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Ed

meow...@care2.com

Mar 1, 2007, 8:03:56 AM3/1/07
On 1 Mar, 01:26, Aloma <n...@no-email.com> wrote:

> My portable Tesco drill has a 9.6V 1000mAh battery pack. I don't know
> what type of battery it is.

almost certainly low end NiCd

> The power supply "brick" outputs 12VDC
> 400mA to the charging stand which the battery sits in.
>
> The instructions say to charge it for about 5 hours each time it gets
> run down ... not to carry on charging because the charger does not
> switch off when the battery is full ... 10 hours is the maximum
> permissible.
>
> Should the first charge be for a longer time to equalise the cells so
> they are all fully charged. Maybe, 16 hours? Or would this be too
> damaging?

lord no, 5 hours is a heavy enough charge already

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 1, 2007, 10:46:42 AM3/1/07
In article <1172754236....@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,

Most of these cheap drills with even cheaper chargers seem to recommend a
stupidly long initial charge. Perhaps they want to make certain the rot
sets in early.

A 5 hour charge type suggests all the 'control' consists of is a series
resistor between an unregulated DC supply and battery, so the likelihood
of overcharging is pretty real.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Savage

Mar 6, 2007, 5:11:21 AM3/6/07
Aloma <n...@no-email.com> writes:
>The instructions say to charge it for about 5 hours each time it gets
>run down ... not to carry on charging because the charger does not

Whatever the charging instructions, disconnect the charger when you
feel any cell become noticeably warm.

Xerxes

May 8, 2022, 1:45:06 AM5/8/22
I have one of these drills. As soon as you start it up you can heae it slowing down. Its battery is absolutely inadequate.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/duration-of-1st-charge-of-drill-battery-378764-.htm

Rod Speed

May 8, 2022, 2:35:16 AM5/8/22
Xerxes <36381ffab5ffd5c9...@example.com> wrote

> I have one of these drills. As soon as you start it up you can heae it
> slowing down. Its battery is absolutely inadequate.

You are only 15 years late.

alan_m

May 8, 2022, 3:23:33 AM5/8/22
On 08/05/2022 06:45, Xerxes wrote:
> I have one of these drills. As soon as you start it up you can heae it
> slowing down. Its battery is absolutely inadequate.

As the original post was 15 years old either your drill is also of that
age and the battery is at the end of its life or if purchased recently
it probably has a completely different battery technology.

Peeler

May 8, 2022, 3:43:37 AM5/8/22
On Sun, 08 May 2022 16:35:09 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 87-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

legg

May 16, 2022, 10:16:13 AM5/16/22
On Sun, 08 May 2022 05:45:05 +0000, Xerxes
<36381ffab5ffd5c9...@example.com> wrote:

>I have one of these drills. As soon as you start it up you can heae it slowing down. Its battery is absolutely inadequate.

You need a new battery.

Don't leave this battery chemistry in the dumb charger.

There are relacement parts for most old battery packs,
including nicad.

RL