refractive index of inorganic pigments

1 view

Luca

Jul 2, 2008, 3:55:06 AM7/2/08
Hi, for granulometric analisys of powders refractive indexes of sample
and medium where it is disperded are required.
Whereas for mediums RI is quite easy to be found (4 example in CRC)
for typical pigments for ceramic sometimes is not so easy. If someone
can help me suggesting books or articles (reviews and so on).
I put a list of typical pigments if someone knows the data...:

FeCr Oxides
FeCo Oxides
MnFeCoNi oxides
Pr-doped zircon
Fe-doped zircon
CoAl spinels

Marvin

Jul 2, 2008, 2:24:57 PM7/2/08

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index
"Definition: The refractive index n of a medium is defined
as the ratio of the phase velocity c of a wave phenomenon
such as light or sound in a reference medium to the phase
velocity vp in the medium itself ... The phase velocity is
defined as the rate at which the crests of the waveform
propagate; that is, the rate at which the phase of the
waveform is moving"

Does an opaque material have a refractive index?

David Stranz

Jul 2, 2008, 11:58:56 PM7/2/08
Marvin <phys...@verizon.net> wrote in

Refractive index is wavelength-dependent, and "opaque" materials
still have measurable (but high, > ~2 - 3) RI.

You might Google "Mie scattering". The Mie equations are dependent
on complex refractive indices of both medium and particle.

David