An Interesting Aside/ET's helping bio-chemists!!

Sir Arthur C. B. E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A.

Jul 27, 2003, 1:57:59 PM7/27/03
An Interesting Aside by Bill Chalker

On a Friday night in April 1983, Dr. Kary Mullis, a biochemist,
was driving up to his cabin in Mendocino county in northern
California. During that drive to his Anderson Valley cabin
Mullis conceived one of the great discoveries of modern
chemistry - the polymerase chain reaction (PCR), a surprisingly
simple method for making unlimited copies of DNA, thereby
revolutionizing biochemistry almost overnight. Kary Mullis
described his discovery in Scientific American ("The Unusual
Origin of the Polymerase Chain Reaction, April, 1990). He was
awarded the 1993 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his discovery.

Two years later, on a Friday night, during the summer of 1985,
Kary Mullis drove up to his cabin. Arriving around midnight
after driving for about three hours, Mullis dumped groceries he
bought on the way, switched on the lights (powered by solar
batteries) and headed, with flashlight in hand, to the outside
toilet located about 50 feet west of the cabin. He never got
there that night. Quoting from his 1998 book Dancing Naked in
the Mine Field, Mullis encountered something extraordinarily
weird on the way. "...at the far end of the path, under a fir
tree, there was something glowing. I pointed my flashlight at it
anyhow. It only made it whiter where the beam landed. It seemed
to be a raccoon. I wasn't frightened. Later, I wondered if it
could have been a hologram, projected from God knows where."

"The raccoon spoke. 'Good evening, doctor,' it said. I said
something back, I don't remember what, probably, 'Hello.' The
next thing I remember, it was early in the morning. I was
walking along a road uphill from my house."

Mullis had no idea how he got there but he was not wet from the
extensive early morning dew. His flashlight was missing. He was
never able to find it. He had no signs of injury or bruising.
The lights of the cabin were still on, along with the groceries
on the floor. Some six hours had gone by unaccounted for. Later
in the day he found that an area of his property - "the most
beautiful part of my woods" - had inexplicably become a place of
dread. A year or so later Mullis exorcised this fear John
Wayne-style by shooting the wood up. While his attempt at
psychotherapy proved successful it did not help him find out
what had happened that night in the summer of 1985. Mullis would
become the only known Nobel prize laureate to claim an
experience of what might be an alien abduction.

Kary Mullis describes himself as "a generalist with a chemical
prejudice." Others have described him as "Hunter Thompson meets
Stephen Hawking" or "the world's most eccentric and outspoken
Nobel Prize-winning scientist." It is not easy to dispose of
Mullis's experience as a drug or alcoholic hallucination. For
one, he was not affected by either that midnight. Plus, he has
not been the only one to have experienced strange events at the
cabin.

His daughter, Louise, disappeared for about three hours after
wandering down the same hill. She also reappeared on the same
stretch of road. Her frantic fiancÚe was about to call the local
sheriff. Mullis had told no one of his experience until his
daughter called to tell him to buy Whitley Strieber's Communion.
She was ringing to also tell her father about her strange
experience. By coincidence when she rang, Mullis had already
been drawn to the book and was up to the point where Strieber
reports strange "owls" and little men entering his house.

In his own book Mullis concluded, "I wouldn't try to publish a
scientific paper about these things, because I can't do any
experiments. I can't make glowing raccoons appear. I can't buy
them from a scientific supply house to study. I can't cause
myself to be lost again for several hours. But I don't deny what
happened. It's what science calls anecdotal, because it only
happened in a way that you can't reproduce. But it happened."

Kary Mullis confirmed all this and more when I spoke with him
recently. Another person encountered a "glowing raccoon" between
the cabin and the toilet. This was a friend of Mullis who did
not know of the "raccoon" story and was a first-time visitor,
during a party at the cabin after the announcement of the Nobel
Prize win in 1993. This man did not stick around and fled up the
hill towards the house. On the way he encountered a small
glowing man, which then suddenly enlarged into a full sized man
who said something like, "I'll see you tomorrow." The man, who
was not experiencing a drug or alcohol-induced hallucination
left with a friend without informing anyone. They returned to
their hotel at a nearby town. That night the man inexplicably
found himself outside in the hotel car park troubled and
terrified by the impression he had somehow been back at the
Mullis cabin. He and his friend returned the following night to
the cabin. The celebratory party was carrying on from the
previous night. As the man arrived he was shocked to see the
"full-sized man" seen as an enlarging apparition the night
before drive up in a car. This was too much for the first time
visitor. He left in a panic, holding Mullis somehow responsible
for the previous nights events. Sometime later in tears he
revealed the full story to Mullis, who identified the man his
friend he had seen as his elderly neighbor. Mullis checked with
his neighbor and sure enough he had come to the party on the
second night, arriving to be seen by the terrified visitor.
However he was certain he was not there on the first night, not
in person and not lurking as a glowing raccoon or a small
glowing man that enlarged into a vision of himself. There is
more but that can perhaps wait for another more detailed
telling.

Given this sort of activity on his property it perhaps isn't
surprising that Kary Mullis told me he thinks the nature of his
experience is even stranger than abducting ETs. Instead he
speculates about multi-dimensional physics (a la Michio Kaku's
Hyperspace, 1994) at a macrocosmic level, "like anything can
god-damn happen and the speed of light is not really the limit
in terms of interactions with other cultures or whatever. This
stuff about grabbing people or subjecting them to all kinds of
experiments - it's just anthropology at a level we don't
understand quite yet." As for PCR testing of biological samples
from abductee experiences he indicated, "You might imagine that
I thought of that myself. As for instance in 'you can have some
of mine, if I can have some of yours.'" He would like to look at
this work, however he feels that the idea of an alien culture
needing our DNA to survive is very unlikely and a program on the
scale and nature of David Jacobs's The Threat improbable. Any
culture that could conquer the barrier of space-time could have
easily conquered the far simpler problems of complex
biochemistry and would not need us in the manner described in
the grey alien-human "hybrid" agenda theories.

- - -

See also:

Dancing Naked In The Mind Field
by