distribution of biomass

heron stone

Jul 24, 2003, 11:35:59 PM7/24/03
I'm curious as to the relative abundance of various
forms of life, perhaps in some easy form like megatons.

For instance, 6,000,000,000 humans averaging, say,
100 lbs would total about 300 MTs

What would be the MTage of

mammals
animals (multicellular in general)
plants (multicellular)
protazoa
bacteria
viruses

I'm not a biologist and I know that the categorization
of living things has changed since I was in school, so,
if there is a better way to tally it up than my above
listing, please feel free to do it another way.

Simple ball-park estimates would be fine.
References (especially URLs) will also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Heron

--
Nature, heron stone